The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 1014 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #30391 of 30804 Old 05-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I wanted to update everyone on the 8 blinking blue light issue with my PRO-111FD Kuro Elite. It turned out that my AWW1353 board was not the issue. It was the main HDMI board, AWW1371. I found the part on the internet and the TV is now working. If anybody gets this issue, make sure to check the AWW1353 board is working before assuming that is the problem. Everywhere online 8 blinking blue lights usually meant the IC resistor on the AWW1353 was bad but it could be the main board. I found a good local TV repair shop and they told me it was the main board. Next time, I am going to utilize them. Although I learned a lot about how these plasmas work, it was a lot of effort to get the correct diagnosis and find the parts. Pioneer still makes the AWW1371 but its about $500 new. I found it for $150.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30392 of 30804 Old 05-18-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFL-GUY View Post

I wanted to update everyone on the 8 blinking blue light issue with my PRO-111FD Kuro Elite. It turned out that my AWW1353 board was not the issue. It was the main HDMI board, AWW1371. I found the part on the internet and the TV is now working. If anybody gets this issue, make sure to check the AWW1353 board is working before assuming that is the problem. Everywhere online 8 blinking blue lights usually meant the IC resistor on the AWW1353 was bad but it could be the main board. I found a good local TV repair shop and they told me it was the main board. Next time, I am going to utilize them. Although I learned a lot about how these plasmas work, it was a lot of effort to get the correct diagnosis and find the parts. Pioneer still makes the AWW1371 but its about $500 new. I found it for $150.

Where did you find the part for 150?
post #30393 of 30804 Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

uh oh, either they sold it to you hoping you wouldn't notice or they truly never saw it either. If it just developed one after all these years, it could be a bad sign as to longevity. All the panels I've owned when this has happened already have the failure out of the box from the factory or they undergo such failures in the first weeks to maybe months of use, which is more likely to be the case on your particular unit, IMO.

I was the seller. I never noticed it, and I would have disclosed it if I had. I sit about 8 feet away from the screen. Upon discovery of the dead subpixel, I have offered Synnove a full refund if he's unhappy with the screen. (Admittedly part of that offer is my own regret for selling a low-hours 9G Kuro in the first place. rolleyes.gif) But I really just have no place to put it in the house other than a closet and that seems like a shame.

Synnove suggests that the subpixel might have died during his brief ownership, but I've had the monitor for 5 years and accept that it could have happened under my ownership and I just never saw it from the distance I sit at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

It looks like they used the set almost exclusively for movies that averaged just under two hours in length. Given that usage, it wouldn't surprise me that they missed seeing the dead pixel.

From nothing other than the number of hours watched, that's an incredibly apt guess! Yes, the monitor has no tuner and I don't have cable or satellite. So it's pretty much all BDs, with some Netflix streaming on the side when I'm "slumming it". biggrin.gif
post #30394 of 30804 Old 05-19-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synnove View Post

Now if only I could re-awaken this dead red sub-pixel in the smack center of the screen I'd be a happy camper! Noise patterns, break in slides, the built in washer.. nothing seems to be doing it : ( .

Synnove, have you tried a "pixel flipper"? In researching the dead pixel problem, the "pixel flipper" often comes up as a suggestion. Admittedly this might be the same effect as a noise pattern, and perhaps people are using multiple terms for the same thing.

http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/plasma-38/need-help-appears-i-have-screen-burn-suggestions-welcome-4659/
Synnove likes this.
post #30395 of 30804 Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Quote:

It looks like they used the set almost exclusively for movies that averaged just under two hours in length. Given that usage, it wouldn't surprise me that they missed seeing the dead pixel.

From nothing other than the number of hours watched, that's an incredibly apt guess! Yes, the monitor has no tuner and I don't have cable or satellite. So it's pretty much all BDs, with some Netflix streaming on the side when I'm "slumming it". biggrin.gif
Actually I also used the number of power cycles. wink.gif

Hours divided by power cycles results in another estimate: one movie per power cycle. biggrin.gif
post #30396 of 30804 Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally repaired my reset 101fd to the point where it's back to stock performance with zero artifacts AND is tweakable with minimal artifacts. I have posted my experience and the procedure below for informational purposes.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532421/pioneer-kuro-reset-recovery-guide
post #30397 of 30804 Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I also used the number of power cycles. wink.gif

Hours divided by power cycles results in another estimate: one movie per power cycle. biggrin.gif

That's a very clever way of getting a better idea of the usage type.
post #30398 of 30804 Old 05-19-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Synnove, have you tried a "pixel flipper"? In researching the dead pixel problem, the "pixel flipper" often comes up as a suggestion. Admittedly this might be the same effect as a noise pattern, and perhaps people are using multiple terms for the same thing.

http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/plasma-38/need-help-appears-i-have-screen-burn-suggestions-welcome-4659/

I've not! I thought most of them were similar to whitenoise and such. I've been using after effects to generate noise patterns of varying types, as well as running D-Nice's slides. I'll go ahead and try this though and see what comes of it. Given the low hours on the set, leaving it up there for a while couldn't hurt.

On an aside, I just finished calibrating ISF day: 52FL (181 nits) with no clipping of whites!

post #30399 of 30804 Old 05-19-2014, 03:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

I've just moved my 111 into my new apartment and was thinking I would use the stand this time instead of wall mounting it. I just pulled the stand out of the closet and found I may be missing a screw needed for the stand. I have two longer black screws and one shorter black screw. I am missing the second, shorter screw. Looks like this:

Anyone know where I can get another?
I have some extras (from Pioneer). PM if interested.
post #30400 of 30804 Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1forsnow View Post

all Kuro's that i have seen have an undersaturated blue. Nothing you can do unfortunately....

Yes all three of my Kuro's had a problem with Blue being under saturated. .

Quote:

I'm surprised at your experience. Were they all calibrated by well regarded professionals?

You shouldn't be. If anything that issue gets worse over time.
As you know I calibrate my display's, and when I was In doubt back in the Kuro days about my calibration skills I had a shoot out with one of the calibrators you have used.
Anyway here are my posted settings for the last Kuro 141 I owned. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1059491/signature-elite-141-owners-thread#post_14507494

I sold that set for $1000 because of the Blue issue that I stated in my for sale add. The buyer knew all about the Blue Kuro issue, three weeks later he sold it for a profit.

ss
post #30401 of 30804 Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 AM

Hi all,

currently owning the 507XD and it's still working fine, but I recently found out to my surprise that the Samsung LED I bought for the kids' room outdoes it in terms of black levels and picture "bang".... Considering replacing the 507XD by a last generation Samsung LED or something as well, but also have considered upgrading to a 9G LX5090. What would you recommend? For info I would be spending around £600 for an LX5090, the Samsung 55" LED I was looking at is an ex-demo and can be had for £750. I'm not in it for the 3D, mostly image quality.

Any and all opinions and suggestions would be welcome and appreciated!

Cheers
//Joris
post #30402 of 30804 Old 05-21-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Don't recall from what generation that model emanates, but 9G should put the LED to shame.
post #30403 of 30804 Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Don't recall from what generation that model emanates, but 9G should put the LED to shame.

It's a 7G, and lately I've been feeling that black levels really aren't that impressive at all.... that said it's not calibrated, don't know how much of an impact that would have on black levels?
Would an upgrade to the 5090 be a worthwhile investment? I guess I should be able to get something like £300 for the 507XD as well, so would be looking at a cost of around £300 for it.
What bothers me is the plasma and high electricity consumption.
post #30404 of 30804 Old 05-21-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synnove View Post

I see that on all the reports as well, including D-Nice's. Around 2-3 DeltaE unfortunately. I've seem to have gotten mine down to 2 which seem's to be the best I can do.

Now if only I could re-awaken this dead red sub-pixel in the smack center of the screen I'd be a happy camper! Noise patterns, break in slides, the built in washer.. nothing seems to be doing it : ( .
I'm not sure if that is CIE94 or 2000, but 2 is very good, assuming your meter is correct. But I just wanted to chime in (a little late) that the typical 2-3 dE blue 9G reading discussed here is at 100%. Between 0-90% it is much closer to target with lower dEs. I think that saturation range covers 99% of the blue that anyone will see in video content.
post #30405 of 30804 Old 05-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisS View Post

It's a 7G, and lately I've been feeling that black levels really aren't that impressive at all....

That may be normal.

There is a dramatic difference in black levels between 1-7G (Pioneer Plasmas) and 8-9G (Pioneer Kuros). If you read the reviews it was the 8th generation that introduced shockingly low blacks, and that's when they started calling them Kuro (Japanese for black).
Quote:

What would you recommend? For info I would be spending around £600 for an LX5090, the Samsung 55" LED I was looking at is an ex-demo and can be had for £750. I'm not in it for the 3D, mostly image quality.

Plasma still trumps for image quality but there aren't many choices left. If you are lucky maybe you can find a Panny ST, VT, or ZT. If not, the Sammy F8500 is very good and still in production, but is somewhat expensive.
post #30406 of 30804 Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I was thinking about this today.

Since the kuros are no longer made, and have been for long while now, why can't us owners get access to things to get the best out of our display? Like D-Nice's black level reduction or the ISF modes? It's not like these TV's are new so what's the problem? Pioneer is even getting out of the AV market completely. It's time to share and let kuro owners enjoy the best of what's left of these amazing displays.

home theater addict
post #30407 of 30804 Old 05-23-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 611
^ Would DNice not want to be reimbursed for a technique he developed himself and given your desire for it there is still a market for it. If I remember when DNice calibrated my Pioneer he accessed the ISF modes via his cal software, so I don't see how that is something Pioneer could do with a firmware update (besides not have the software engineers to do it since they laid those people off).

To add to your list about an update that let's my SC-07 use their nifty av control app.
dsskid likes this.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #30408 of 30804 Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

^ Would DNice not want to be reimbursed for a technique he developed himself and given your desire for it there is still a market for it. If I remember when DNice calibrated my Pioneer he accessed the ISF modes via his cal software, so I don't see how that is something Pioneer could do with a firmware update (besides not have the software engineers to do it since they laid those people off).

I think most of us would gladly reimburse D-Nice for a guide and the software to do the tweak (if that's what it is). It's more the issue of a calibrator who is hard or impossible to get in touch with (and probably really busy) having exclusive access to a beneficial tweak for Kuro owners. That he has to be physically present for the tweaks is a substantial limitation, especially when I and other members have not been able to get a response from him.
post #30409 of 30804 Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 611
^ I am not here by any means to speak for DNice, but as someone who has used his services twice in the past 6 years getting him to respond has never been an issue. Believe Turbe has mentioned a few times to contact him this way:
DeWayne Davis
A/V Fidelity LLC
info@av-fi.com

I will leave it up to him to supply his phone number. The last time I contacted him about 9 months ago and he responded to my PM within 2 or 3 weeks. Using the email address above was much quicker, usually during the weekends when I assume he has some time to catch up. I also have seen him on the Panny forums this month where he has been communicating with a few scheduled for calibrations. Good luck - he is definitely very good at what he does. Steve
Ange1Rob0t likes this.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #30410 of 30804 Old 05-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Since the kuros are no longer made, and have been for long while now, why can't us owners get access to things to get the best out of our display? Like D-Nice's black level reduction or the ISF modes? It's not like these TV's are new so what's the problem? Pioneer is even getting out of the AV market completely. It's time to share and let kuro owners enjoy the best of what's left of these amazing displays.

Would be nice. The tweak is nice because you can do it to drop blacks on a perfectly fine panel. Unlike a reset which is irreversible unless you swap out your digital board before hand. And who would reset a perfect panel to open the door to countless issues.

The tweak I use is done in 5 minutes. And my blacks drop like they are hott! 😄. If the tweak takes, zero issue!

Saprano do you have a link or something I can read about pioneer exiting the av world. I would like to learn about this myself. Crazy!
makaveddie81 likes this.
post #30411 of 30804 Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:

^ I am not here by any means to speak for DNice, but as someone who has used his services twice in the past 6 years getting him to respond has never been an issue. Believe Turbe has mentioned a few times to contact him this way:
DeWayne Davis
A/V Fidelity LLC
info@av-fi.com

I will leave it up to him to supply his phone number. The last time I contacted him about 9 months ago and he responded to my PM within 2 or 3 weeks. Using the email address above was much quicker, usually during the weekends when I assume he has some time to catch up. I also have seen him on the Panny forums this month where he has been communicating with a few scheduled for calibrations. Good luck - he is definitely very good at what he does. Steve

I've tried that e-mail several times over the past year as well as PMs on here. Guess the only thing to do is keep trying and watch for any touring dates that are posted. I plan on keeping my Kuro for at least 6 years if it lasts that long so maybe it will happen. tongue.gif
ShockFett likes this.
post #30412 of 30804 Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To add to your list about an update that let's my SC-07 use their nifty av control app.

He's a calibrator. He's going to get paid either way. And he didn't make it himself. He said he got it from a engineer at Pioneer. And he said he wasn't going to be doing it anymore. I just think keeping stuff like that locked away, and the ISF modes, is pointless on these TV's.

The ISF modes are already there, they just need to be unlocked. I'm sure there are other ways beside the need of Control Cal.
makaveddie81 likes this.

home theater addict
post #30413 of 30804 Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockFett View Post

Would be nice. The tweak is nice because you can do it to drop blacks on a perfectly fine panel. Unlike a reset which is irreversible unless you swap out your digital board before hand. And who would reset a perfect panel to open the door to countless issues.

The tweak I use is done in 5 minutes. And my blacks drop like they are hott! 😄. If the tweak takes, zero issue!

Saprano do you have a link or something I can read about pioneer exiting the av world. I would like to learn about this myself. Crazy!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531829/pioneer-exists-the-av-business-the-1st-shoe-drops

After the kuro and the ICE amps SC receivers their quality went down imo. Good thing i bought both.

home theater addict
post #30414 of 30804 Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Quote:

It's a 7G, and lately I've been feeling that black levels really aren't that impressive at all.... that said it's not calibrated, don't know how much of an impact that would have on black levels?
Would an upgrade to the 5090 be a worthwhile investment? I guess I should be able to get something like £300 for the 507XD as well, so would be looking at a cost of around £300 for it.
What bothers me is the plasma and high electricity consumption.

I wouldn't worry too much about the plasma power consumption. Perhaps if you were running her 24hrs a day yeah.

But then that wouldn't be very good for the components.

My first generation PS3 runs at 207 watts or something whilst playing a game ir bluray... The 500m probably about 300 average during the day. At night i would hazard a guess about 250 watts.

On the other hand herself has the washing machine on on average about twice a day - that's where most of the electricity consumption comes from in my place biggrin.gif
post #30415 of 30804 Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post

Where did you find the part for 150?

I'd love to find out as well. The cheapest source for the AWW1371 I've been able to find is $280, and that is used. With luck, the 1352 (I have a 5020fd) will solve my problem but if not then I'll be hunting for a 1371. Based on the blink code (8 blue, 3 amber), my problem could be with an IC on the 1352 or an IC on the 1371.. if I'm reading the service manual correctly.
post #30416 of 30804 Old 05-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Saprano

Drop your RSTP to 002 , S1 to 72 , S3 to 82 and S4 to 129 , this should give you a major drop in MLL . Factory settings are RSTP 018 , S1 86 , S3 96 and S4 143 , Look for any artifacts , magenta pixles on moving images from black to light images , if you don't see anything(artifacts or misfires ) you are good to go , if you do just set everything back to stock settings ,
post #30417 of 30804 Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange1Rob0t View Post

I think most of us would gladly reimburse D-Nice for a guide and the software to do the tweak (if that's what it is). It's more the issue of a calibrator who is hard or impossible to get in touch with (and probably really busy) having exclusive access to a beneficial tweak for Kuro owners. That he has to be physically present for the tweaks is a substantial limitation, especially when I and other members have not been able to get a response from him.

It's a service that he offers (and that I've enjoyed the benefit of) but one that requires a little more know how than simply flipping a switch. Please just be patient and courteous and I'm sure he'll respond. Not knowing if you have a decent post history or your attitude, it's impossible to say whether that's why he hasn't contacted you back but I can tell you (from witnessing other members) that calling him out is not the way to get what you want.
post #30418 of 30804 Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post

It's a service that he offers (and that I've enjoyed the benefit of) but one that requires a little more know how than simply flipping a switch. Please just be patient and courteous and I'm sure he'll respond. Not knowing if you have a decent post history or your attitude, it's impossible to say whether that's why he hasn't contacted you back but I can tell you (from witnessing other members) that calling him out is not the way to get what you want.

Can't you view my post history on here? You seem to be taking what I said a bit personally.
post #30419 of 30804 Old 05-27-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange1Rob0t View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post

Can't you view my post history on here? You seem to be taking what I said a bit personally.
He is giving you good advise.
post #30420 of 30804 Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:

He is giving you good advise.
Yes, I understand that. I think this is PM territory at this point.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page