The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 1016 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #30451 of 30480 Old 06-13-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
You can still buy one from Pioneer- http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...um=PRO%2D111FD
I might be blind, but I don't see it in that list and a search pulls up the part with it not being in-stock...

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30452 of 30480 Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
I might be blind, but I don't see it in that list and a search pulls up the part with it not being in-stock...
Thank you both !!!
It seem the parts are available but for a very high price.
Maybe I can find a used one here @ a more affordable price
post #30453 of 30480 Old 06-14-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A friend gave me a S&M disc (the first one I guess) and had a look to the results on my LX5090H using close to d-nice settings for the pro111fd.

I switched to movie mode as it was easier to try settings with a remote rather than the controlcal slides for ISF modes.
What bothers me most is on the clipping pattern, showing the color boxes with 6 gradient inside them that should be visible so that the primaries don't clip.

With a +3 color settings all colors were almost clipped, bringing color back to 0 revealed the gradients on red and blue, but only the smallest one in the middle of the green box and the outer side one. To see all the 6 gradient in green I have to put color down to -9. When lowering color, I clearly see the luminance lowering on the red and blue boxes, but green luminance seems 2 to 3 less times affected by the color setting than the 2 others.

Any experience on that ?
post #30454 of 30480 Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorales View Post
Fellow Pioneer Kuro owners:

I own a Pioneer PRO-111FD and since I bought it never used the stand because I hanged it on the wall.
I just moved to bigger place and need to use the stand but... it is gone without a trace

I did make a brief research and found that the OEM part is KRP-TS02 and is the same one as the PRO-101FD uses.

Please contact me if you have one that will not use and wish to sell to me (dannymdc@gmail.com).

Thank you
Ouch! I bought one when I got my Kuro and put it into storage after doing the wall-mount. I posted here then that it was available "free" to any takers. Now, I cannot recall if I have tossed it or it is still in storage. If I get a chance this week, I will look and let you know.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #30455 of 30480 Old 06-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Ouch! I bought one when I got my Kuro and put it into storage after doing the wall-mount. I posted here then that it was available "free" to any takers. Now, I cannot recall if I have tossed it or it is still in storage. If I get a chance this week, I will look and let you know.
Thank you very much Kal, I really hope you find it !!!

Good luck for both of us
post #30456 of 30480 Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone replaced the AWW1371 main board on their Elite?
Looks like the service manual says to initialize it after install but i have no access
to a service remote. Was wondering if you can actually just swap it & use...
post #30457 of 30480 Old 06-21-2014, 01:46 PM

Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeMan View Post
Has anyone replaced the AWW1371 main board on their Elite?
Looks like the service manual says to initialize it after install but i have no access
to a service remote. Was wondering if you can actually just swap it & use...
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Then I can help you.
post #30458 of 30480 Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockFett View Post
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Then I can help you.
I am wanting to replace a bad main board (AWW1371) on my 111FD.
post #30459 of 30480 Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 204
In the owners manual it says if you're not using the TV for a long time to occasionally turn it on to maintain functionality. Why exactly does this need to be done? I mostly only watch blurays so there are times where the TV is off for a week or longer.

home theater addict
post #30460 of 30480 Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
In the owners manual it says if you're not using the TV for a long time to occasionally turn it on to maintain functionality. Why exactly does this need to be done? I mostly only watch blurays so there are times where the TV is off for a week or longer.
It seems to be true for electronic circuits in general. Way back when, a TV repairman came to our house, and the repairman mentioned to my father it was good for the TV to be turned on once in a while.

More recently, I went a loooooooong time without playing records. One day I finally did, and the speed was erratic; it took a couple of sessions for the motor to get up to and maintain proper speed; I don't know if that was the turntable's motor or the circuits in the TT's line conditioner/speed controller. CD drives won't work if not used for too long (that's happened to me twice).

I don't think a week is too long, though.
saprano likes this.
post #30461 of 30480 Old 06-23-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
It seems to be true for electronic circuits in general. Way back when, a TV repairman came to our house, and the repairman mentioned to my father it was good for the TV to be turned on once in a while.

More recently, I went a loooooooong time without playing records. One day I finally did, and the speed was erratic; it took a couple of sessions for the motor to get up to and maintain proper speed; I don't know if that was the turntable's motor or the circuits in the TT's line conditioner/speed controller. CD drives won't work if not used for too long (that's happened to me twice).

I don't think a week is too long, though.
Thanks for the explanation. I expected not using something for long periods of time to only affect things with moving parts.

home theater addict
post #30462 of 30480 Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I expected not using something for long periods of time to only affect things with moving parts.
saprano i am the same way i might go a week or so without watching the tv at all.i have a little over 400 hours on my 151 since i got it about 5 month ago and about 200 of that was to break it in
post #30463 of 30480 Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
It seems to be true for electronic circuits in general.
Were those electrinic circuits with tubes? Tubes needed to be warned up before they would behave correctly.

Quote:
More recently, I went a loooooooong time without playing records. One day I finally did, and the speed was erratic; it took a couple of sessions for the motor to get up to and maintain proper speed;
That sounds more like lubrication for the bearings, or a belt drive.

Quote:
I don't know if that was the turntable's motor or the circuits in the TT's line conditioner/speed controller.
Solid state circuits are not effected by down time. I'll double check with our chip design son when he comes to dinner tonight.

Quote:
CD drives won't work if not used for too long (that's happened to me twice).
That would be mechanical parts and bearings again.

UPDATE: Checked with digital chip and circuit designer son and based on science and engineering, a solid state circuit board will do exactly what it did the last time it was powered up unless it was damaged in the mean time.

Last edited by htwaits; 06-23-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Update.
post #30464 of 30480 Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

So what does Pioneer mean then by, and I quote-

If you do not intend to use your flat panel for an extended period, occasionally power on and run the panel to maintain functionality.

That's from page 131 of the owners manual.

home theater addict
post #30465 of 30480 Old 06-23-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
So what does Pioneer mean then by, and I quote-

If you do not intend to use your flat panel for an extended period, occasionally power on and run the panel to maintain functionality.

That's from page 131 of the owners manual.
I don't know. Where does Pioneer stand on Darwin and the fossil record?

Also, how long is an extended period and and how frequent is occasionally? Maybe it's a revision from the CRT days insisted on by the legal department. It's a puzzlement.

Based on reading here at AVS, there were some sets that spent years in storage before they were sold. Were they trying to warn us to buy only fresh stock?

Last edited by htwaits; 06-23-2014 at 07:27 PM.
post #30466 of 30480 Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 124
I have now created a program that allows the user to run commands on any of the below Kuro models:

101fd
141fd
500m
600m
111fd
151fd
Non-US model equivalents to the above

What does this mean? For starters, service menu access (by executing the proper commands) on any of the above models in one simple program.

Kuro Command Program
post #30467 of 30480 Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
I have now created a program that allows the user to run commands on any of the below Kuro models:

101fd
141fd
500m
600m
111fd
151fd
Non-US model equivalents to the above

What does this mean? For starters, service menu access (by executing the proper commands) on any of the above models in one simple program.

Kuro Command Program
Makaveddie81,
Will your program allow me to do this procedure below:

MAIN Assy: Execution of FINAL SETUP.
1. Select {INITIALIZE} then {FINAL SETUP}, then press [ENTER/SET]. (After entering
Factory mode, press [MUTING] three times, then press [j] four times.)
2. Select "YES", using [l]. Then hold [ENTER/SET] pressed for at least 5 seconds.
3. After "FINAL SETUP IS COMPLETE" is displayed on the screen, turn the POWER
switch of the main unit off.
post #30468 of 30480 Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeMan View Post
Makaveddie81,
Will your program allow me to do this procedure below:

MAIN Assy: Execution of FINAL SETUP.
1. Select {INITIALIZE} then {FINAL SETUP}, then press [ENTER/SET]. (After entering
Factory mode, press [MUTING] three times, then press [j] four times.)
2. Select "YES", using [l]. Then hold [ENTER/SET] pressed for at least 5 seconds.
3. After "FINAL SETUP IS COMPLETE" is displayed on the screen, turn the POWER
switch of the main unit off.
If your model is one of the ones on the list, then yes.

You can use it to access factory mode (service menu), which is essentially step 0 of the procedure. The commands to do so are "fay" and "facs01".

You will also need to purchase the usb to serial adapter and serial cable mentioned in the first post.
post #30469 of 30480 Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Were those electrinic circuits with tubes? Tubes needed to be warned up before they would behave correctly.

That sounds more like lubrication for the bearings, or a belt drive.

Solid state circuits are not effected by down time. I'll double check with our chip design son when he comes to dinner tonight.

That would be mechanical parts and bearings again.

UPDATE: Checked with digital chip and circuit designer son and based on science and engineering, a solid state circuit board will do exactly what it did the last time it was powered up unless it was damaged in the mean time.
Some good points here. It's true that, although the TV had no moving parts, this was the early 70s and there was a picture tube. As for the turntable and line conditioner, neither had been used for a while (obviously), but the TT's motor is the more likely culprit. But I'd done the proper lubrication already, so that wasn't the issue. Also, CD drives have moving parts.

As for SS circuits, I do note that my system tends to sound better after it's warmed up a bit, as opposed to running it cold. If we're talking an extended period, the capacitors are empty and need to be recharged. I recently reinstalled my previous preamp while the main one was out on repair. It sounded pretty harsh for about half of the first CD I played, but settled in; it had been unused for about 7 months.

I'm no scientist but I think there is something to the idea of running components periodically as far as their health goes. A plasma TV has phosphors, just as a CRT does, so maybe there's something in that. I don't think Pioneer's admonition is mere boilerplate copy, though I don't know how electricity interacts with the circuits and wire exactly.
post #30470 of 30480 Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #30471 of 30480 Old 06-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
aspect ratio issue

Hi all,

It's been a while since I visited this thread. I haven't been having any issues with my 151...until now. I just bought an Oppo 105D blu ray player and noticed something peculiar. When I play 1.78:1 or 2.35:1 content, everything looks normal. 1.78 content fills the entire screen as expected, and 2:35 content has the appropriate-sized black bars top and bottom. I have the display set to dot-by-dot of course. When I've played a couple of 1:85 titles, I don't see the thin bars top and bottom that I should see. The image fills the entire screen so it appears that it's being cropped slightly. I'm positive that with my previous BD player I was seeing an uncropped 1.85:1 image. I'm having trouble finding the source of the problem. Folks on the Oppo thread seem to think it has to do with the display and not the player. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jim
post #30472 of 30480 Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 PM

Ok, I think I know what the problem is. I played a few more titles labeled as 1.85, and I believe some discs that have the aspect ratio labeled 1.85 are really 1.78. This may be more common with Warner titles. I must have been mistaken when I thought that all discs labeled 1.85 had the thin bars when played on my old BD player. That would be the most likely explanation.
post #30473 of 30480 Old 06-29-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi View Post
Ok, I think I know what the problem is. I played a few more titles labeled as 1.85, and I believe some discs that have the aspect ratio labeled 1.85 are really 1.78. This may be more common with Warner titles. I must have been mistaken when I thought that all discs labeled 1.85 had the thin bars when played on my old BD player. That would be the most likely explanation.
Labeling is not 100% reliable, so you're most likely right.

I never pay attention to the 1.85:1 black bars in our dark environment.

Last edited by htwaits; 06-30-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #30474 of 30480 Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 AM

I have a question for any Kuro expert on here. I have a 111FD display. Does it have an 8 Bit or 10 Bit panel? I thought I saw that it has a 10 bit panel, but I wanted to find out for sure. I am trying to find some 10 or 12 bit sample videos to see how good the display can look. Anyone have any experience with that on here?
post #30475 of 30480 Old 06-30-2014, 09:01 PM

Has anyone updated their firmware to 0907-0401? Any noticeable improvements? Is that the latest firmware for 151?
post #30476 of 30480 Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'm trying to find speakers for my 151-fd and, as you know, these are extremely hard to find. The model number suggested in Pioneer's website is SMW2026-A and I have had no luck finding it. In order to cast a bigger net in my search, I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed either the SMW2065A or SMW1980-A sets and if any modification was needed. Thanks in advance!
post #30477 of 30480 Old 07-04-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^^
I'm sure some people made some sort of modifications to brackets or something like that at some time. Just a matter of mm if i remember correctly.

Have you had a good ol Google yet ?
post #30478 of 30480 Old 07-05-2014, 04:58 AM

Liked: 54
makaveddie i have a spare set PM me and make me an offer. And I have the brackets and screws
post #30479 of 30480 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi View Post
I also have not been visiting this forum that much of late. All the bluray disc's that are 185:1 that I have played through my Denon A1UDCI universal BD player have all filled up the entire screen just like 178:1 disc's since the ratio's are different one would think that it would appear differently. Maybe as someone suggested they are miss-labeled but could they all be miss-labeled?
post #30480 of 30480 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Maybe as someone suggested they are miss-labeled but could they all be miss-labeled?
The discs could be miss labeled or one of your devices is set to turn on about 5% overscan.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page