The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 1018 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #30511 of 30532 Old 07-26-2014, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys,

I know this has probably been covered before here but does anyone know exactly why a Kuro can increase it's light output in the ISF modes as opposed to the default modes you get with the set ?
Does unlocking the ISF modes somehow increase the ABL threshold in those modes or something like that ?

Also does simply unlocking the ISF modes allow increased light output in those modes or do you actually have to calibrate the ISF modes after unlocking ? Like can calibrate my lumagen and send the signal thru the Kuro ISF day mode to get a bright calibrated picture ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30512 of 30532 Old 07-26-2014, 10:38 PM

Liked: 0
Hoping maybe I can find some advice in this thread before I chuck my recently acquired pro-111. This was sold to me buy my parents as I've always wanted the gold standard. Problem is it's got the dreaded buzz, and it's bothersome to the point where I can't really focus on watching the set unless the volume is turned up ridiculously high. I have placed power save on mode 2 with a marginal improvement. From all the research I have done, replacing the power supply may fix it, at 400$ it's not cheap. What do you all feel is my best option? Should I just get rid of it?
post #30513 of 30532 Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pqbrown View Post
Hoping maybe I can find some advice in this thread before I chuck my recently acquired pro-111. This was sold to me buy my parents as I've always wanted the gold standard. Problem is it's got the dreaded buzz, and it's bothersome to the point where I can't really focus on watching the set unless the volume is turned up ridiculously high. I have placed power save on mode 2 with a marginal improvement. From all the research I have done, replacing the power supply may fix it, at 400$ it's not cheap. What do you all feel is my best option? Should I just get rid of it?
Were you aware of how "bad" the buzz was when the set was at your parent's home?

A power supply can malfunction and make noise. Plasma technology can cause a buzz that varies from set to set. To get advise you need to know which situation you're dealing with.

If you are hearing a plasma buzz, the the difference in room characteristics between your parents viewing room and yours may be contributing to your perception of the problem.

I think your display is worth repairing if you're sure that it's the power supply.

Last edited by htwaits; 07-27-2014 at 12:30 AM.
post #30514 of 30532 Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers16 View Post
30ms is definitely good for me! But the gaming mode doesn't look a whole lot worse than the other picture modes right? That's the case on my ST50 right now. Sorry for all the questions by the way, I'm just very thorough in researching tv's that I'm considering buying
30ms is just one measured number.

People with appropriate measuring equipment have measured Kuro's with far lower response times than that.

It is also very system and set up dependent.

:thumbup:
post #30515 of 30532 Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Were you aware of how "bad" the buzz was when the set was at your parent's home?

A power supply can malfunction and make noise. Plasma technology can cause a buzz that varies from set to set. To get advise you need to know which situation you're dealing with.

If you are hearing a plasma buzz, the the difference in room characteristics between your parents viewing room and yours may be contributing to your perception of the problem.

I think your display is worth repairing if you're sure that it's the power supply.
I did not notice the buzz, but the positioning is quite different (it's mounted on the wall now, it was off the wall a ways and on a stand there). I have an 8g 6010 and an 8g panny and while they do buzz, it's not nearly as pronounced as it is on this set. Is there a way to test the power supply to tell if this is the issue? I absolutely love the set, and the pq is outstanding, so I'd really hate to give up on it.
post #30516 of 30532 Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pqbrown View Post
I did not notice the buzz, but the positioning is quite different (it's mounted on the wall now, it was off the wall a ways and on a stand there). I have an 8g 6010 and an 8g panny and while they do buzz, it's not nearly as pronounced as it is on this set. Is there a way to test the power supply to tell if this is the issue? I absolutely love the set, and the pq is outstanding, so I'd really hate to give up on it.
I'm not a service tech, but as I understand it, a power supply going bad will make noise that can be traced to the power supply card and it's best heard from the back of the set.

I have a 6010 and I could hear it buzz the day it was mounted over six and a half years ago. The buzz was coming from the entire surface of the screen, and my head was within inches of the screen. I've never put my head that close to the screen since day one.

From your description, it sounds like your room is causing a different experience that you were used to at your parents home. Your focus is probably different too. If it's plasma technology buzzing that your are hearing, those two areas are your best chance to solve your problem.

For instance, our viewing room is very soft so we don't have audio bouncing off of a lot of hard surfaces. Your parents may have an acoustically soft room, and your may have a room with a lot of reflecting surfaces.

Good luck.

Last edited by htwaits; 07-27-2014 at 01:07 PM.
post #30517 of 30532 Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Well I bought the Kuro 5020FD and like mentioned on here, it came with the 111FD board installed so I get all of the picture setting adjustments of the Elite . I've already tried to search this thread for picture settings but there are more like like 40 pages that mention calibration settings so i figured I would just ask. What are some really good picture settings for Pure Mode (I have CNET's settings as of now) and some really good settings for Game Mode?
Try these settings for all modes-

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

Here's another for pure - The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread
Stu03 likes this.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 07-27-2014 at 04:01 PM.
post #30518 of 30532 Old 07-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not a service tech, but as I understand it, a power supply going bad will make noise that can be traced to the power supply card and it's best heard from the back of the set.

I have a 6010 and I could hear it buzz the day it was mounted over six and a half years ago. The buzz was coming from the entire surface of the screen, and my head was within inches of the screen. I've never put my head that close to the screen since day one.

From your description, it sounds like your room is causing a different experience that you were used to at your parents home. Your focus is probably different too. If it's plasma technology buzzing that your are hearing, those two areas are your best chance to solve your problem.

For instance, our viewing room is very soft so we don't have audio bouncing off of a lot of hard surfaces. Your parents may have an acoustically soft room, and your may have a room with a lot of reflecting surfaces.

Good luck.
I think you are right about the environment. The rear of tv is where the noise is coming from, so it sounds like the power supply then. I'm not sure anyone could say the sound would be considered normal! I will see what my local shop thinks. Thanks for the input.
post #30519 of 30532 Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody find small blue dots and marks on their screen? If you go up close and let natural light shine on the screen you'll probably see them. I wonder if it's the heat from the glass affecting the CEL? I had cleaned a few of them off weeks ago and now they're starting to come back.

I'm going to try cleaning it again but this time I want to use distilled warter. Where can I get some?

home theater addict
post #30520 of 30532 Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Any grocery store carries distilled water. I know Walmart does
post #30521 of 30532 Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Anybody find small blue dots and marks on their screen? If you go up close and let natural light shine on the screen you'll probably see them. I wonder if it's the heat from the glass affecting the CEL? I had cleaned a few of them off weeks ago and now they're starting to come back.

I'm going to try cleaning it again but this time I want to use distilled water. Where can I get some?
Grocery stores carry distilled water for steam irons. It's probably around $1.79 a gallon.

Be careful that you don't ruin or remove the filter applied to the screen. Use a micro fiber cloth and don't get the cloth any wetter than slightly damp.

Why are you worried about something that you probably can't see when you watch from a normal viewing distance?

Last edited by htwaits; 07-28-2014 at 12:11 PM.
post #30522 of 30532 Old 07-28-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 132
And if I might add.... Make sure the screen is cool prior to cleaning.
htwaits and rcapprotti like this.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #30523 of 30532 Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Pardon my ignorance - and off topic i know - but when is the VE shootout this term ?
post #30524 of 30532 Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Grocery stores carry distilled water for steam irons. It's probably around $1.79 a gallon.

Be careful that you don't ruin or remove the filter applied to the screen. Use a micro fiber cloth and don't get the cloth any wetter than slightly damp.

Why are you worried about something that you probably can't see when you watch from a normal viewing distance?
Yeah I still have the cloth that came with the TV. The filter will be fine I think, they're mostly small round marks in one area. I won't be cleaning the entire screen.

You don't notice anything unless you look for it in bright light yes, but since I know it's there it bothers me.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 07-28-2014 at 06:48 PM.
post #30525 of 30532 Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post
Pardon my ignorance - and off topic i know - but when is the VE shootout this term ?
August. Boring line up imo.

home theater addict
post #30526 of 30532 Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been trying desperately to update the firmware on my 5020FD with 111FD board. It currently has the 0901-0201 firmware and i'm trying to update it to the latest 0907-0401 firmware. I've followed the instructions on Pioneer's website and downloaded the firmware and extracted the file and placed the "Update" file onto a flash drive. I've been unhooked the power cord of the tv, placed the flash-drive into the USB slot, then plugged the power cord back into the tv. The TV just starts up and never begins the update. I've plugged the flash-drive in while the TV is on also and the TV recognizes that a flash-drive is plugged in and it pulls up the file on screen but I can't do anything with it, everything is grayed out. Am I doing something wrong?
post #30527 of 30532 Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
I have been trying desperately to update the firmware on my 5020FD with 111FD board. It currently has the 0901-0201 firmware and i'm trying to update it to the latest 0907-0401 firmware. I've followed the instructions on Pioneer's website and downloaded the firmware and extracted the file and placed the "Update" file onto a flash drive. I've been unhooked the power cord of the tv, placed the flash-drive into the USB slot, then plugged the power cord back into the tv. The TV just starts up and never begins the update. I've plugged the flash-drive in while the TV is on also and the TV recognizes that a flash-drive is plugged in and it pulls up the file on screen but I can't do anything with it, everything is grayed out. Am I doing something wrong?
Make sure its formatted using fat32 partition and do not have any contents on it except for the update file.

How big is the flash drive? Perhaps the Kuro doesnt recognize larger drives.

I used a usb dongle with an old 1gb sd card (not sdhc) inserted and the upgrade worked on the first try on my 151.
post #30528 of 30532 Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 85
Quote:
Do you use the internal tuner on the 5020FD?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #30529 of 30532 Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
Make sure its formatted using fat32 partition and do not have any contents on it except for the update file.

How big is the flash drive? Perhaps the Kuro doesnt recognize larger drives.

I used a usb dongle with an old 1gb sd card (not sdhc) inserted and the upgrade worked on the first try on my 151.
I formatted the flash drive making it FAT32 and retried everything and it still didn't work.
post #30530 of 30532 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I formatted the flash drive making it FAT32 and retried everything and it still didn't work.
What is the capacity of the flash drive?

I wonder if the fact that your display is a 5020 is a factor in the upgrade not working.
post #30531 of 30532 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Follow this thread, especially post 320. All the best.

Official FW UPDATE for NA PDP-5020FD/6020FD, PRO-111FD/151FD (NO SIGNATURES!)
post #30532 of 30532 Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Follow this thread, especially post 320. All the best.

Official FW UPDATE for NA PDP-5020FD/6020FD, PRO-111FD/151FD (NO SIGNATURES!)
Yep. You need to use an old flash drive.

I used a usb dongle with an old 256mb sd (not sdhc) card.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page