The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 1031 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #30901 of 30913 Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I returned $2500 in hand for my 151 fd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30902 of 30913 Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
I returned $2500 in hand for my 151 fd

you turned down $2500?
post #30903 of 30913 Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post
you turned down $2500?

Indeed ! I did with pride of continuing ownership of Legendary Kuro!
When I thought what I can get for $2500 that is at least 1:/2 decent to replace 60 inch Elite Kuro. The best I could think was to pitch in $500 more at least and get first gen 1080P Oled. With no history and already obsolete by manufacturer replaced by 4K.

rcapprotti likes this.
post #30904 of 30913 Old 03-27-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Indeed ! I did with pride of continuing ownership of Legendary Kuro!
When I thought what I can get for $2500 that is at least 1:/2 decent to replace 60 inch Elite Kuro. The best I could think was to pitch in $500 more at least and get first gen 1080P Oled. With no history and already obsolete by manufacturer replaced by 4K.

I don't blame you I would keep it to. What surprises me is about 13 months ago pioneer replaced a bad 6020 of mine I did put a little extra with it to get a 151. I put it up for sale a couple weeks before I got the TV and when arrived I put some pictures up here on a couple other sites trying sell it. and i also have quite a few spare parts that went with it I put it up for $2500 and did not get one serious offer. For brand-new TV in the box I ended up selling the spare parts for about $450 but you know in the long run I'm glad I didn't sell it
post #30905 of 30913 Old 03-27-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post
yeah i should be getting it this weekend. i think i might also be picking up a 151. i dunno what i should do with the 111. keep it for spares (wondering if the 500m and 111 share the same parts) or sell it to someone
The 151fd and 111fd share some parts, so I would keep it. The big bonus being that now you have a spare AWW1353 board (or Elite board) that you can use to give Elite calibration capabilities (ISF modes) to a non Elite model (5020, 6020).

This board does tend to fail too so its good to have a spare. When it does, you'll be greeted by the 8 flashing blue LED blinks.
porschetech likes this.
post #30906 of 30913 Old 03-27-2015, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
The 151fd and 111fd share some parts, so I would keep it. The big bonus being that now you have a spare AWW1353 board (or Elite board) that you can use to give Elite calibration capabilities (ISF modes) to a non Elite model (5020, 6020).

This board does tend to fail too so its good to have a spare. When it does, you'll be greeted by the 8 flashing blue LED blinks.
thanks for the info

well hopefully, i should be picking up the 500m tomorrow. it comes complete with original box and all unused accessories. i also managed to pick up a 151fd too. so i hope to see that one within 2 weeks.

i'm sure many people would think of us as crazy for spending money (and in some cases a premium) for these older tv sets. there's nothing out there better than the kuro's imo. my wife is gonna kill me when she finds out i bought 2 tv's!!!!!!
post #30907 of 30913 Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Older set, modern picture. There's nothing outdated about the kuros PQ. I'd even say the design is still the best compared to these thin no bezel cheaply looking TV's of today. The build quality still can't be matched either. You feel how heavy and tough the stand is? Very nice quality. The overall look of the kuro gives off a high end monitor vibe to it.
porschetech and rcapprotti like this.

home theater addict
post #30908 of 30913 Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Older set, modern picture. There's nothing outdated about the kuros PQ. I'd even say the design is still the best compared to these thin no bezel cheaply looking TV's of today. The build quality still can't be matched either. You feel how heavy and tough the stand is? Very nice quality. The overall look of the kuro gives off a high end monitor vibe to it.
agreed. I love how the elites look. The bezel's, tinted screen, the solidness/build quality is all top notch. That gloss black finish oozes sex appeal. They haven't aged one bit!
saprano and rcapprotti like this.
post #30909 of 30913 Old 03-28-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I agree 100% with you saprano
saprano likes this.
post #30910 of 30913 Old 03-28-2015, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NO ANSI, black screen (MLL)

invia immagini
post #30911 of 30913 Old 03-28-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I don't know about those measurements. That's 0.002 for the 500 and 0.02 for the 5090 converting them to ftl. Unless I did it wrong.

500 should be 0.0005 and 5090 0.001. Do you have a link to that page and for other models?

home theater addict
post #30912 of 30913 Old Today, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was able to pick up a used 151FD last night. I had one several years ago and regretfully had to sell it due to my financial situation at the time. The set is in perfect cosmetic condition and has zero IR or dead pixels, so I’m pretty pleased. It does, however, have over 12K hours on it, but at this late in the game, complaining about that is kind of pointless.

Coming from Panasonic plasmas that I’ve been using the last year (VT60s, which are great sets with their own little quirks), I immediately noticed when running a Kuro demo BD thatI have that the blacks look….well, reddish on many scenes. At first, I thought that maybe this just has something to do with how Pioneer “drives” their panels in comparison to Panasonic or Samsung, but the more I looked at it, the more I determined that this isn’t normal. It’s a pretty uniform tint and isn’t very obvious unless I’m watching in a dark room.

My set was never calibrated by the previous owner. I’m pretty sure he just used Performance Mode for practically everything. I’m waiting for D-Nice to tell me when he can come out to Phoenix and that hopefully he is able to help reduce the tint. I also intend to calibrate the ISF modes myself in my iDisplayPro and ControlCa w/Calman in the meantime.

I keep hearing stories about owners going into the service menu and resetting certain things and being absolutely amazed with the results to solve the tint issues. But at the same time, I’m absolutely terrified of doing this for fear or bricking my new acquisition. Additionally, I can’t seem to find any clear cut instructions of how to do any of these adjustments. Instructions appear pretty scattered and seem kind of complicated.

Do you guys have any advice on where I should start?
post #30913 of 30913 Unread Today, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I was able to pick up a used 151FD last night. I had one several years ago and regretfully had to sell it due to my financial situation at the time. The set is in perfect cosmetic condition and has zero IR or dead pixels, so I’m pretty pleased. It does, however, have over 12K hours on it, but at this late in the game, complaining about that is kind of pointless.

Coming from Panasonic plasmas that I’ve been using the last year (VT60s, which are great sets with their own little quirks), I immediately noticed when running a Kuro demo BD thatI have that the blacks look….well, reddish on many scenes. At first, I thought that maybe this just has something to do with how Pioneer “drives” their panels in comparison to Panasonic or Samsung, but the more I looked at it, the more I determined that this isn’t normal. It’s a pretty uniform tint and isn’t very obvious unless I’m watching in a dark room.

My set was never calibrated by the previous owner. I’m pretty sure he just used Performance Mode for practically everything. I’m waiting for D-Nice to tell me when he can come out to Phoenix and that hopefully he is able to help reduce the tint. I also intend to calibrate the ISF modes myself in my iDisplayPro and ControlCa w/Calman in the meantime.

I keep hearing stories about owners going into the service menu and resetting certain things and being absolutely amazed with the results to solve the tint issues. But at the same time, I’m absolutely terrified of doing this for fear or bricking my new acquisition. Additionally, I can’t seem to find any clear cut instructions of how to do any of these adjustments. Instructions appear pretty scattered and seem kind of complicated.

Do you guys have any advice on where I should start?
If D-Nice is coming to calibrate your display ,chances are he can rid your display of any red tint ,If you don't want to wait or D-Nice cannot get to you ,you will need a service remote or other program to adjust just a few setting in the SM , RSTP and maybe SAD , make note of you factory settings and then lower RSTP to 002 , if you are lucky and there are no misfires you can lower SAD 10 clicks , from 128 to 118 and recheck , 60" screens are prone to magenta misfires when the voltage drops to low , but you can always raise the voltages back up ,only adjust the settings , DO NOT RESET YOUR 151 ! Keep in mind the some of the 50" 9Gs can go very very black , I have not found or have not seen anyone else claim the 60" 9G can go as black as the 50" , you should end up with a MLL in the range of .0005 to .001 .

HTH
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page