The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 1033 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2015, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's been almost a month since I got my 111FD calibrated by chadb.

Here's my impressions:

1. ISF "night" is my replacement to Pure Mode. I find 38-39 ft/L "night" mode perfectly acceptable with lights turned off in the living room. My living room is not 100% dark due to the arch-style windows (2) that lets in lights from streetlights. What actually bothers me is the blue LED indicators in this TV and DirecTV box when watching late at night.

2. The 63 ft/L ISF "day" mode is glorious with live events and sports such as Money-Pac bout and NBA playoffs. I've yet to see videos that "pop" and yet look very color-accurate at the same time... until now. To me sports and live events is only watchable in ISF day now.

3. Yikes 111FD turns really hot if left in ISF day for 18 hours My 111FD gets ~18 hours a day (it's my parents who spend most of the time watching in day time) and I gotta make sure I set this plasma display in "nite" mode before I leave to go to work.

4. Despite the concerns mentioned above about over-driving my panel in ISF day mode, I've yet to see a heavy temporary IR.

50 inch Panasonic Viera G20
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
buying a Kuro in 2015

Hello everyone,
2 months ago I didn't know what a Pioneer Kuro was... I know...
Anyway my 46' Samsung LCD TV started to look small and I decided to go Bigger like I guess we all tend to do.
I went to future shop ( Best Buy now in Canada) and couldn't figure out what would be a good buy in this changing times (4K, 3D, OLED, 4K&OLED, Ultra HD Blu ray specs etc...).
So I decided to buy a used TV because all I wanted was more real estate. Before I could post here and ask for advice I had to pull the trigger and buy a Kuro 141FD. The seller was so emphatic about his beloved TV he HAD to sell that I went to the WEB and got some education on Plasma vs other Tech and on the allmighty Kuro.
Now I have it home and it is a wonderful TV it came with a wall mount and the Kuro original tabletop stand , I also got the matching PIONEER BDP 05FD blu ray and the SC 05 receiver all for a decent price I believe (1700 $ US for all).
The seller told me the TV was already calibrated and ready for my enjoyment:
So I am a happy man !!! but I'm worried too, it's not that I can't enjoy my good fortune but it went so fast and I got more education after the purchase
It's that after reading a bit about the Kuro, the red tint, the tweaks, the 2017 end of support by pioneer, the necessity of re-calibration $$$, the age of the current displays (mine is from december 2009 with 6500 hours ) and the recommandation to buy a new Sammy FS8500 instead of a used Kuro on most forums: I feel a bit late to the party( 5 years) and I wonder: It was a good move right?
What do you think?
Cheers,
Old 05-17-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
$1700 for all that is a ridiculous deal. You're lucky you got all that for that price.

Pioneer support- 2017 is long time away. Do you have warranty? I wouldn't worry about it. If the display goes bad I think it'll happen long before that time.

Calibration- It's good that it came calibrated but it's not necessary, imo, to re calibrate it if you don't want to. Kuros have an amazing picture either way.

Hours- 6500 is not that much if you think about the half life being 60K hours. 6500 is still relatively a low amount of hours.

Red tint- Did you check for this before you bought it? Do you see any now on a full black screen? If there's no trace of red tint then I wouldn't worry about it getting any. Any kuro can get it but with 6500 hours it would of happened already I think.

F8500- That's also a good display. I don't think you could of gone wrong with either. Both are huge improvements over the 46" LCD you had. Some still think the kuro holds the overall PQ crown though.

EDIT-

How is the black level?

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 05-17-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the comforting information, It is indeed such an upgrade, the sammy lcd is now in the bedroom and it doesn't look good anymore : Ignorance is bliss
I got the package for 1900$ US not 1700 (typo) but still a excellent deal
I did not notice any red tint so there is that. As per the black level, I got to be honnest: I googled 'How to check black level on a Kuro' and it seems to involved metering tools that I don't have. Looking at it in black scene or playing the Kuro demo on youtube it looks pretty black to my eyes but in the dark I can tell the difference between the black bars and the bezel when I pay attention.
The floating image is more a feeling that you get in dark scene I think.
I thought about what you said about calibration and you are right, the PQ is already so enjoyable and this is what is important
Cheers
Old 05-18-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 32
People didn't realize what they lost in the past 10 years. A last gen kuro or pana is the closest thing you will get to an old good trinitron CRT.
Edllguy likes this.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Khan View Post
Thanks for the comforting information, It is indeed such an upgrade, the sammy lcd is now in the bedroom and it doesn't look good anymore : Ignorance is bliss
I got the package for 1900$ US not 1700 (typo) but still a excellent deal
I did not notice any red tint so there is that. As per the black level, I got to be honnest: I googled 'How to check black level on a Kuro' and it seems to involved metering tools that I don't have. Looking at it in black scene or playing the Kuro demo on youtube it looks pretty black to my eyes but in the dark I can tell the difference between the black bars and the bezel when I pay attention.
The floating image is more a feeling that you get in dark scene I think.
I thought about what you said about calibration and you are right, the PQ is already so enjoyable and this is what is important
Cheers
I just ment checking it with a movie or full black screen. Not with any equipment.
Good that you have no red tint and the black level is ok.

home theater addict
Old 05-18-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnarbi View Post
People didn't realize what they lost in the past 10 years. A last gen kuro or pana is the closest thing you will get to an old good trinitron CRT.
What was the black level of the Sony 34XBR960? Google has not returned any relevant search results.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't know 10 years ago I didn't measure my TVs, I never felt I had to
But good CRTs could achieve true blacks.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Finally got a chance to upload the Pioneer Kuro Summer 2008 demo. This is the one that contains material for testing black rain/lag.

Pioneer Kuro Summer 2008 Demo Download
Old Today, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've come across a chance to buy a KRP-500M for $1000, the only real issue being is it's a 1000 mile drive to the seller so I'm looking for some advice here. He says he bought it used but hasn't viewed it too much, about 1-3 hours a day, 3-4 times a week and it was bought in 2011. Says he doesn't see any signs of age or problems with the picture. I currently own a a PRO-111FD model, which I posted about earlier in this thread, that has a 2 pixel wide line running up half the screen. It looks like it can't be fixed and the TV is out of warranty. I fear it might be on it's last legs soon so I want to get a replacement Kuro.

What do you guys think? Is it worth a thousand miles and dollars for a KRP-500M? I hear a lot of good things about it here. Is it exactly the same as a 111FD without the speakers and ISF modes? Any other differences between them? How does the process of patching in the ISF modes work?

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd