The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 1039 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qpon View Post
It's been ages since I posted here, but over the past couple of months, I've noticed a strange problem with my 101FD. When I first turn it on, regardless of what's on the screen, it makes a loud, high-pitched whine from the back of the unit that I can hear from other side of the room. It slowly quiets down after a good while, but one thing that remains constant is pretty nasty buzzing that I'm not sure was there or was as bad before. I've also noticed that the tv gets a bit hotter than it used to. I've had no other issues with the set other than this. I could just be a little paranoid, but any help would be much appreciated.
Could be the power supply board. I hope you find a solution. The 101FD is a great panel and IMO would be worth fixing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Could be the power supply board. I hope you find a solution. The 101FD is a great panel and IMO would be worth fixing.
I'm worried that if it is something like the power supply, that it's going to cost a fortune in order to get it fixed.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qpon View Post
I'm worried that if it is something like the power supply, that it's going to cost a fortune in order to get it fixed.
I believe that it comes down to 2 options.

Option A. Verify that it is the power supply board that is failing and find a used power supply board and install it yourself or by a knowledgeable friend.

Option B. Find 1 or 2 reputable Pioneer plasma service centres and get them to diagnose and quote you a price (parts and labour) and go with the lowest quote.

Note: This is why I purchased a used power supply board for my Pro-111FD online a couple of years ago just in case mine goes bad. However, my Kuro was manufactured in January 2009 pre press release of Pioneers exit from the flat panel business (February 2009), and sometimes I speculate that is why my Kuro is still alive after much use.

All the best to you in finding a solution.

Last edited by Edllguy; 08-31-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I should of bought a power supply when they were going for $50.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsear...?q=pioneer+151

My procrastination gets me again.

home theater addict
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So I'm heading out tomorrow to look at a used 151FD with less than 1,000 hours on it. I have no way to check the hours so I have to rely on the seller's word. It was purchased in 2010.

Assuming its in pristine condition, any suggestions on what I should offer for it? Just looking for guidance as this is very subjective.

Old Today, 02:58 AM
ALP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRose View Post
So I'm heading out tomorrow to look at a used 151FD with less than 1,000 hours on it. I have no way to check the hours so I have to rely on the seller's word. It was purchased in 2010.

Assuming its in pristine condition, any suggestions on what I should offer for it? Just looking for guidance as this is very subjective.
JR, I would press the seller on why it only has 1000 hours in five years. I bought my 151FD in 7/2009, however, was not able to start using it until 10/2010 because I was doing major renovation in our family room myself while holding down a 60+ hours a week job. I figure we put about 15 to 20 hours a week on our set 50 weeks a year, which means our set has 750 to 1000 hours per year. So lets say it is 900 hours a year. That says this November our set hits the 4500 hours. My wife and I are both in our 60's, I am retired, she still works, we basically watch prime time TV 6 nights a week and go out one night a week. Anyone who has a TV as good as a 151FD ought to be able to tell you about its usage as I just did.

If you walk into this person's home and they have six TV's and one of them is an HT setup with a projector and screen then it is quite possible the 151FD only has 1000 hours since 2010, or if they have lived aboard for the last four years, or something like that. However, if you walk in and this person has the 151FD for their principle viewing and they have two other small screen TV's (one in the Kitchen and one in the MB) then I would find it real hard to believe the set only has 1000 hours on it.
rcapprotti and makaveddie81 like this.

Tony Plachy

Last edited by ALP; Today at 03:02 AM.
Old Today, 08:50 AM

I will press him on the hours. Maybe even make a contingent offer based on the hours which I can check later. This is a risk but possible.

Assuming its in the condition and use he states, any suggestion on what I should offer him?

Thanks.

Old Today, 10:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I will press him on the hours. Maybe even make a contingent offer based on the hours which I can check later. This is a risk but possible.

Assuming its in the condition and use he states, any suggestion on what I should offer him?

Thanks.
Has he mentioned a price yet? Or are you going into it blind?
Old Today, 01:42 PM
ALP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks.
I have no experience with used TV's (even premium ones), however, I do have experience with selling premium audio gear. My experience is limited to other audiophiles I know and they know me through a forum we all members of. It is kind of like automobiles. Once you drive it off the lot if you paid $40k it is worth about $25k or maybe a bit more. So if it is relatively new gear (5 years or less) then it usually goes for about half. Now on the forum everything is sold with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. That is kind of the situation you are in. I paid a little less than $5K for mine from a local dealer (Value Electronics), however, I am sure there a members here who did better than that on price if they bought after the Pioneer renouncement that they were getting out of the business. Based on all of the above I would not offer more than $2k and have a written agreement on the hours (either refund or price reduction).

Tony Plachy

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd