The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 30627 Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtwo View Post

It really is your call. For me, part of the 'benefit' of the 111 is that the horizontal line is stronger (especially with the speakers attached--speakers I won't be using for their sound reproduction capabilities ) So, for me, in order to preserve the strong horizontal appeal, I am looking at wider tv stands...BDI Avion 8527, Salamander Chameleon, ... (I also want to keep my components out of the main field of dust so cabinet doors are a requirement). And, yes, it's a lot of money, but I want to like my set-up even when everything is turned off.

I think your point is very well taken, and I'm convinced I need a wider triple stand. I think I like the Salamander Designs and StudioTech models best.
Leave it to me to like the most expensive stuff, it just goes with the Pio. If you want to really salivate, take a look at JSP.

Thanks also to JazzGuyy and luvnhateSony for your input. It's very kind of you guys to help me make a decision.

Can someone tell me the measurement from the base of the 111FD stand to the middle of the screen? This will help me figure out how high I want the stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 30627 Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberger View Post

I think your point is very well taken, and I'm convinced I need a wider triple stand. I think I like the Salamander Designs and StudioTech models best.
Leave it to me to like the most expensive stuff, it just goes with the Pio. If you want to really salivate, take a look at JSP.

Thanks also to JazzGuyy and luvnhateSony for your input. It's very kind of you guys to help me make a decision.

Can someone tell me the measurement from the base of the 111FD stand to the middle of the screen? This will help me figure out how high I want the stand.

It's around 17.5 inches from the base to the middle of the screen. Also, I agree that even with a sound system, the TV just has a better look when you keep the speakers attached, so it's worth getting a slightly bigger stand.
post #3963 of 30627 Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkandra View Post

I should admit that I have been waiting so eagerly for this TV for months. All this excitement is gone because of this buzz. There is really no excuse for pioneer to do this when they charge such huge premium over other panels.
I can clearly hear this buzz at distance of 12 feet.

I agree with the others . . . if the buzz is bad, it's probably defective and worth returning. My 111 doesn't buzz.
post #3964 of 30627 Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I should admit that I have been waiting so eagerly for this TV for months. All this excitement is gone because of this buzz. There is really no excuse for pioneer to do this when they charge such huge premium over other panels.

Arunkandra,
Go to setup, power control, and change energy save to "mode2".
Does this reduce your Buzz??

This should reduce the buzz drastically. In some cases completly.

Using powersave mode2 will reduce your peak brightness a tad but many people have a hard time telling the difference.
I once had powersave set to mode2 for over a week before I realized it. And the only reason I realized it was because I was in the settings looking around.
post #3965 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Also go into the power control menu and turn on the
"No Signal" option (page 76 of your manual)

YES...this is VERY IMPORTANT!

The slightest power outage, etc...and your TV will come back on and load up to the USB Menu of Home Media Gallery. Providing you are breaking in via USB of course instead of DVD.

Have you checked to see if this works D-Nice? I haven't checked yet and now the previous poster has worried me...although I am now at 98 hours!
post #3966 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

I just can't believe all this buzz stuff...

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HEARING...IMHO!

I have had 6 different people "listen" for the buzz on the pure white screen from the break-in and no one can hear a peep.

It must just be that some are louder, some are not!
post #3967 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know what the...

A143

...refers to when powering on the set? It appears in the top corner when I press Power On on the remote...then disappears.

Thanks!
post #3968 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know it doesn't really help you right now, but I know exactly how you feel. It's such a disappointment when something like this happens. Hang in there.
post #3969 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post

I have had 6 different people "listen" for the buzz on the pure white screen from the break-in and no one can hear a peep.

That definitely seems to be the case. Too bad these TVs aren't of a more consistent quality. I was fortunate enough to get a buzz-free one (Believe me, I strained myself listening for a buzz... not a peep), but there seem to be some definite buzzers out there. Check out this video drfoo posted on YouTube demonstrating his buzz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTKjvgmctk

I would personally find anything like that completely unacceptable and would get the set replaced. I wonder what the factor behind these buzzing sets is. Hmm...

post #3970 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly.
post #3971 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know what the...

A143

...refers to when powering on the set? It appears in the top corner when I press Power On on the remote...then disappears.

Thanks!

Analog channel 143, I believe. When mine powers up, it always shows what input it's on. If you're using an internal tuner, it would show the tuner (analog or digital) and channel.
post #3972 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dunno if hearing is a contributing factor but when my Aunt (who is 63 years old) came over a while back when I had my 6020, She could not hear it no matter how hard I tried. Shs does not have any hearing issues at all, in fact she can hear good she says. But she simply could not pick up on the frequency or something.
So who knows.

During the last month or so of having my 6020 that buzzed , even though the panel still buzzed, it was no longer a problem for me. I could not hear it with any audio. And I used Powersave mode2 when surfing the internet.
When I first got the 6020 that buzzed I was really bummed.
But after learning that I could reduce/eliminate it by engaging powersavemode2, I felt much better. Just having the choice made me not worry about it and not obsess so much on it. So right before the time I go rid of the 6020, The buzz was no longer an issue.
I know the buzz can be annoying, but I think a big reason that it bothered me so much was because I focused so much on it and obsessed about it.
If my 151 I have now buzzed like the 6020 I had, I don't think I would really care much.
But of course I am glad that it doesn't.
post #3973 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ok, I played a little bit with the power setting av source no signal (page 76).

When in HMG menu this setting will NOT work. So if the power goes out and you're running the break-in usb this setting will not help turn the tv off. Because the usb will still be plugged in, tv recognizes it at startup, HMG menu is displayed and the panel waits for a command. Of course there will be none... There is the AV NonOp setting that could potentially help, but that would not work with our break-in.

The "no signal" setting works only when you have it on an input which has no signal whatsoever. I tested it by turning off my dvd player. Panel showed HDMI 4 (the assigned input) then screen went black. After ten minutes, I saw the warning then every minute the warning repeated.

This is a power saving setting and not a screen saving one. Personally, I would have preferred it the other way around...
post #3974 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

S&V has their Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD review up:

The Dark Knight Returns

(I like that review title )

Patience has its rewards.
post #3975 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

So, tonight I realized I pulled "another idiot maneuvre"...

I don't think it is a problem, but I still wanted to check opinions...especially that of D-Nice...

I was playing around with settings, then had to go and started the Break-In (USB). Instead of REMEMBERING to put it on SPORT...I left the TV in OPTIMUM.

The break-in ran for about 8 hours.

Any positive/negative for having it in Optimum vs. SPORT with D-Nice break-in settings?

Thanks!
post #3976 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPeeT View Post

The Dark Knight Returns

Some things confusing me here...maybe someone can address them...all are quotes from the review...

1) Also, I found that with the Optimum setting's sensors switched on, picture settings for other presets were affected as well, leading me to turn it off.

2) ...and a Pure mode that virtually eliminates all video processing

3) Finally, you can use the remote's Tool button to make before/after comparisons of picture adjustments a useful feature.

Just wondering if anyone has some input/explanation to these comments.

Thanks!
post #3977 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some things confusing me here...maybe someone can address them...all are quotes from the review...

1) Also, I found that with the Optimum setting's sensors switched on, picture settings for other presets were affected as well, leading me to turn it off.

3) Finally, you can use the remote's Tool button to make before/after comparisons of picture adjustments a useful feature.

Thanks!

(2) Pure Mode doesn't apply processing (color, sharpness, noise reduction, etc., etc.) to the incoming signal.
(3) When making picture adjustments, toggle the Tools button to compare before and after your proposed change. Try it...it's pretty handy!

(2) and (3) seem pretty straightforward, but (1) contradicts my understanding of the color sensor. I thought it was just for Optimum Mode, so I'd like some clarification on that as well. Most likely I was just wrong.
post #3978 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post

Any way to quantify the difference in SD quality between the 51/05 and the XA2?

Does the Onkyo with the Reon add to the quality?

I am trying to decide whether to go with the 51/05 and a XA2 for SD or
find a Samsung 1200 for both worlds and then wait for the 09 to be released.

If a person never watched the XA2 for SD quality would they be happy with a
51/05 hooked by source direct up to a 111FD?

TIA for your comments

I didn't see this until this morning. When comparing the capabilities of any two SD DVD players, it is hard to objectively state or quantify any differences. When I compared the Source Direct feed from the 51 (letting the Kuro upscale) to my Onkyo HD 805 (rebadged Toshiba XA2 not a receiver if you're confused as to what 805 I referred) I noticed that the XA2 provided a much more detailed picture with better background detail, a sharper image (with no EE), but overall a more natural look. It has been a few days since I tested, but my fiancee also preferred the look of the Onk to the Source Direct.

As for your question concerning picking up the 51 and an XA2 or a Sammy 1200...keep the Sammy on the shelf. While I don't own the 1200, I remember quite a few issues with the 1200. I'm in the camp, perhaps because I'm an owner of an XA2 and HD805, that never chooses a blu-ray player based upon SD playback. If I were you, I'd pick up the 51 and use Source Direct. If you're unhappy with the SD quality, which I don't expect because the Kuro does a good job just not as good as the Reon, pick up an XA2 to use for SD. So yes, I feel like most would be happy with the Source Direct feed to a Kuro, but if you want outstanding SD quality try to find an XA2.

HD DVD - 60
Blu-Ray - Lost Count
post #3979 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 05:44 AM

Has anyone been able to compare the signal from a PS3 (480p) vs. a DVD player that outputs 480i? Is there a noticeable difference? I know the Kuro is supposed to have better processing but I don't have the hardware to compare myself. I'm considering getting a player like the Panasonic S54 if it's worth it...
post #3980 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if it's buzzing that bad contact your dealer Robert at Value Electronics and see about getting a replacement sent out asap.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #3981 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks nugga

I agree the 51/05 is probably the way to go and look for a XA2 on the cheap.
post #3982 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Any positive/negative for having it in Optimum vs. SPORT with D-Nice break-in settings?

Thanks!

Optimum will change all of the settings based on the room enviornment. There are no positives or negatives beyond that.
post #3983 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

(2) and (3) seem pretty straightforward, but (1) contradicts my understanding of the color sensor. I thought it was just for Optimum Mode, so I'd like some clarification on that as well. Most likely I was just wrong.

The light and color sensor are activated regardless of the Options menu settings in Optimum and ISF-Auto A/V modes. They are NOT active in any onther mode unless you turn them on in the Options menu.
post #3984 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Optimum will change all of the settings based on the room enviornment. There are no positives or negatives beyond that.

Hi D-Nice, a question.
What effect if any will will OPTIMUM setting have on the plus green condition? Does it make sense to use this setting while waiting for your alternative reference settings for the plus green group? Thankyou and thanks bigtime for going the extra mile to help us greenies out.-bird
post #3985 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

if it's buzzing that bad contact your dealer Robert at Value Electronics and see about getting a replacement sent out asap.

Thanks

I am gonna contact him today at the earliest.
post #3986 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Thanks!

I found it intersting that he used Standard mode for the review and not Pure.
post #3987 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdliver View Post

Hi D-Nice, a question.
What effect if any will will OPTIMUM setting have on the plus green effect?

None.

Quote:

Does it make sense to use this setting while waiting for your alternative reference settings for the plus green group? Thankyou and thanks bigtime for going the extra mile to help us greenies out.-bird

That's your choice. Optimum mode's grayscale is no where near D65.
post #3988 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPeeT View Post

The Dark Knight Returns

Also amazed he used Standard mode. The entire review is a little skimpy. Much more detail in D-Nice's or Ultimate AV's reviews.
post #3989 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 AM

Has anyone noticed their Kuro have uneven bars? Like if you flip to espn and it has the HD bars on both sides of the picture, the left side is thicker than the right side...but its not all the time, it fluctuates. Another thing is when I watch movies with bars on top and bottom sometimes the bar on the bottom looks thicker than the top...both side bars and top-bottom have been 1/2 inch+ in variance.

When watching 1:85.1 movies I will sometimes get a thicker bar appear at the bottom of the screen no bigger than 1/2 inch...but the thickness varies throughout the movie.

Am I going crazy here or do I have something going on?

Thanks
post #3990 of 30627 Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1919 View Post

Has anyone noticed their Kuro have uneven bars? Like if you flip to espn and it has the HD bars on both sides of the picture, the left side is thicker than the right side...but its not all the time, it fluctuates. Another thing is when I watch movies with bars on top and bottom sometimes the bar on the bottom looks thicker than the top...both side bars and top-bottom have been 1/2 inch+ in variance.

When watching 1:85.1 movies I will sometimes get a thicker bar appear at the bottom of the screen no bigger than 1/2 inch...but the thickness varies throughout the movie.

Am I going crazy here or do I have something going on?

Thanks

Orbiter
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page