The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I asked this question before, but still cannot figure it out.

How can I tell if I am getting a 24 fps picture throught the display. Someone mentioned using the PC button, but when I hit that the picture goes out and it says no signal being received. I do not have the monitor hooked up to my ISP.

Can someone please tell me specifically how to check for this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

One other note, Jason Priestley, is that dealers like Magnolia have a 90-day price protection guarantee. That is, if they offer a lower price within 90 days of your purchase, they'll refund you the difference. Don't get hung up trying to shave off every last penny. If this is your TV for the next several years, a price difference of a couple hundred dollars either way isn't going to matter in the long run. Go get one and enjoy it!!

I purchased my 151 from a Magnolia in No. CA. about 2 months ago. Recently, someone on AVS purchased their 151 from a Magnolia in NY for much less than I paid for mine. I got a copy of the receipt, showed it to the Magnolia manager and although he didn't match the price, he did significantly discount my purchase price and refund the difference. He even thanked me for staying with Magnolia and hoped I'd return. I thought that was pretty classy.
post #4413 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander View Post

How can I tell if I am getting a 24 fps picture throught the display. Someone mentioned using the PC button, but when I hit that the picture goes out and it says no signal being received. I do not have the monitor hooked up to my ISP.

Thanks

No, what they meant was PC Mode, not the PC input.
post #4414 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post

I purchased my 151 from a Magnolia in No. CA. about 2 months ago. Recently, someone on AVS purchased their 151 from a Magnolia in NY for much less than I paid for mine. I got a copy of the receipt, showed it to the Magnolia manager and although he didn't match the price, he did significantly discount my purchase price and refund the difference. He even thanked me for staying with Magnolia and hoped I'd return. I thought that was pretty classy.

That's very classy, because I don't think he had any obligation to do that. I think their price-matching and price-guarantee policies are meant to apply to each store's local market only. B&Ms get bashed a lot around here, but I have been loyal to Magnolia for years and I get that same loyalty back in spades.
post #4415 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander View Post

Thanks

Just to be a little more specific, go into the menu then setup...go to options. there is an HDMI Input setting. you can select the signal to be video or pc. thats the setting. However once you go to PC Mode for the HDMI input, the only picture modes are standard and user. I leave my input to video so I can use Pure. This is with my HTPC. Getting a bluray player very soon.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #4416 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:

That's very classy, because I don't think he had any obligation to do that. I think their price-matching and price-guarantee policies are meant to apply to each store's local market only. B&Ms get bashed a lot around here, but I have been loyal to Magnolia for years and I get that same loyalty back in spades.

I have to agree. I have purchased my 94TXH Reciever and my 151 Plasma from a Magnolia in the Chicagoland area and found that not only did they treat me well, but also I ended-up paying very reasonable prices (AVS Forum sponsor levels). Mind you, I am talking about Magnolia and not necessarily Best Buy (which I find to be a separate animal altogether).

Maximus - "Are you not entertained! Are you not entertained! Is this not why you are here!"
post #4417 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
[quote=JazzGuyy;14537218]I've used both the Monoprice and the Blue Jeans. I think the Blue Jeans extra flexibility and slightly better connector is worth the modest price increase. No difference in performance, I just found the BJ a little easier to work with than the stiffer Monoprice.[/QUOTE]

This made me chuckle
post #4418 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's very B&Ms get bashed a lot around here, but I have been loyal to Magnolia for years and I get that same loyalty back in spades.

I think that is because alot of these stores simply won't negotiate at all.
I know the one where I live won't. Its the only place that sells Pioneer within hundreds of miles. you either pay the sticker price or you won't be buying it.
I asked the manager once here about negotiating a price and he looked at me like I was crazy.
another thing is the fact that most of thier salesmen know very little about what they are selling and spread bologna bull hockey.
post #4419 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akubilius View Post

Suppose to be a joke. I hope you guys did not take it too seriously

Trust me, I knew you weren't serious. However if you thought I was serious with my response I guess we both need to work on our comedic abilities.
post #4420 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 PM

I know a lot of people around here like having all processing and NR type stuff turned off.

I've been pretty unimpressed with the quality of the picture when watching HD Cable. I'm pretty sure the problem is Comcast and all the compression, but I was wondering what are some of the first things I should try to make it look better.

Long term this probably won't be a great solution since I'm only going to have one connection from my AVR to the TV so the Blu-ray player will be on the same TV input, but at least for now (I won't have that set up for a few weeks) I can try to see if any of the settings can make the picture look better.

Thanks.
post #4421 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info guys. Decisions, decisions.

I think that I may be able to afford this sucker (perhaps at a magnolia store for a 50" elite) given that I can exchange my credit card points to about $850 worth. The ones near me have shown a willingness to "play fair" and also with 0% financing.

Problem is I have one more year of my MBA program and live in a condo so 50" would probably be the maximum I could go (if i went elite). 60" would make more sense when I move into a house (would imagine transporting a 60" is a pain in the moving process) and by that point (say 2-3 years down the line) I could likely afford that 60" with ease...decisions decisions....and by that point we will have pitch black screens

...if only my current panny screen would somehow break...hmm....
post #4422 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Get the 111 now and then move it to the bedroom once you get the house
post #4423 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post

Was your purchase at a Magnolia Audio-Video store?

The NY Magnolia would have to be the Magnolia Home Theater department in a BB store. It's confusing to refer to them both as "Magnolia" since they are separate organizations.
post #4424 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post

...if only my current panny screen would somehow break...hmm....

Well..... for only $5.98 at Home Depot.......

post #4425 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Nice to see the AVS brothers willing to help... If only that were the case with BUYING a new kuro
post #4426 of 30518 Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post

Trust me, I knew you weren't serious. However if you thought I was serious with my response I guess we both need to work on our comedic abilities.

I did not think you were serious either; it was geared to a couple of other responses. Back on topic now
post #4427 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

I think that is because alot of these stores simply won't negotiate at all.
I know the one where I live won't. Its the only place that sells Pioneer within hundreds of miles. you either pay the sticker price or you won't be buying it.
I asked the manager once here about negotiating a price and he looked at me like I was crazy.
another thing is the fact that most of thier salesmen know very little about what they are selling and spread bologna bull hockey.

Yeah, I know many have had this experience. I didn't mean to imply that all Magnolia stores are great, but rather to point out that they aren't all bad. And I agree about AV salesman in general- it's amazing some of the BS they can spew with a straight face. I was lucky enough to find a guy years ago that really likes and know this stuff, and always keeps up on new developments. I'm sure a big part of my great experience with Magnolia is due to this long-standing relationship. I know they'll take care of me, and they know I'll keep coming back.
post #4428 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I agree about AV salesman in general- it's amazing some of the BS they can spew with a straight face.

You hit the nail right on the head!! BB has got to have everyone beat though, I was in there once and couldn't help hearing a young kid telling a client how the S-video connection yields a better picture than component. I know I should have jumped in but that was such an aberration that I literally was left speechless...
post #4429 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah...I don't even buy cables at BB!
post #4430 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah...I don't even buy cables at BB!

Yea, thats what we have here, BB.
We have no magnolia here or anywhere within hundreds of miles.

I had never even heard of Magnolia until I visited this forum. Still never seen a magnolia store.
they are the same company as BB correct?? but like a "elite" BB.
post #4431 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I had never even heard of Magnolia until I visited this forum. Still never seen a magnolia store.

This should explain the confusion created by BB.

Magnolia Audio-Video or Magnolia Home Theater?
post #4432 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, thats what we have here, BB.
We have no magnolia here or anywhere within hundreds of miles.

Magnolia was a local AV store that started here in the Northwest decades ago, a family-run business that was in its 2nd or 3rd generation when bought by Best Buy a few years ago.

They've tried a few different business strategies to figure out how best to co-exist. First, they trimmed Magnolia's product lines substantially, so as not to compete against Best Buy, then they tried those weird Magnolia stores inside Best Buys. (We don't have those here because we're Magnolia country, with several stand-alone stores in the area.) Then they tried gearing more toward a custom-installation shop, and the last I heard they were going to try to go back to the original higher-end AV stores.

The point of all this is that Best Buy has screwed it up pretty badly. Frankly, I'll be surprised if Magnolia still exists in five years, or if it does, that it's still a division of Best Buy. The combination of Magnolia's higher-end, service-oriented family-owned AV store and Best Buy's mass-market get-a-fridge-while-you're-at-it high-price-low-service approach has not been a success. I really hope Magnolia survives, as the family and business are well-known and respected in these parts. It's such a shame that Best Buy has tarnished the name in other parts of the country.
post #4433 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I live in New York, and Best Buy does have the Magnolia store in its stores. I honestly don't know how successful it will be. Even though BB has a dedictated space for it, still much of the retail space is dedicated to all the "non Magnolia" products. The only time I really see anyone in the Magnolia store is when they are sitting down on a sofa that is set up watching whatever movie is playing. Generally though it is usually empty with most traffic flowing through the main retail section, doesn't sound like a good business model...

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4434 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Magnolia was a local AV store that started here in the Northwest decades ago, a family-run business that was in its 2nd or 3rd generation when bought by Best Buy a few years ago. ............. It's such a shame that Best Buy has tarnished the name in other parts of the country.

Tarnished the name? Hell I didn't even know it was a name. As far as I was concerned it was just another "department" in their store. Just a place where they kept "the good stuff" in a little dark room. Lately though it's kinda pathetic as you'll go in there and they'll have no feeds running on the sets. Bad enough it's dark in there and now nothing on the screens?

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #4435 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 283
you guys want to get back on topic now please?

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #4436 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshearer View Post

I was able to trade in my used 150 for a new 151 for no additional charge.

Scott

May I ask where you were able to do this at? I had my broken 150 replaced with a brand new one and would like to replace it with a 151.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #4437 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM

For those of us with cable boxes that can't pass a native signal to the Kuro, is it recommended that we set it to 1080i or 720p? Also there was an HDMI setting that was something like RGB or Y:4:4:4. Which one should I choose?

Thanks for the help.
post #4438 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you gonna post the calibration charts. The PSM2 is just what D said: 10-12 FL lower peak brightness.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #4439 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

Got my 151 calibrated today by David Abrams. He set up the ISF-Night setting and it looks fantastic. We did a test with the Power Save modes and Mode 1 and 2 were almost identical in brightness and both were 12fl lower than "Off".

Thanks for the report... David is using ControlCAL..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #4440 of 30518 Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

Got my 151 calibrated today by David Abrams.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel list that's included at the bottom of my post.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page