The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5311 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone with the 9G Elites have any luck with an IR repeater system? I'm thinking about getting a new stand that hides all my gear, but I know that plasma's can wreak havoc on IR receivers. If anyone has had any luck what model of IR kit are you using? Thanks.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD 60" Plasma TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player
TiVo HD XL

"We are only immortal for a limited time."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post
I am here to report that if you plan on getting your 9G Elite proffesionally calibrated:
#1- GET THE ISF MODES ACTIVATED
#2- GET THE ISF MODES ACTIVATED
#3- GET THE ISF MODES ACTIVATED!

Ok, now that I got that off my chest, let me tell you what an AMAZING job the Godfather himself, yes D-NICE, pulled out of my Pro-111 when he calibrated it this weekend. (No, that last sentence was not a typo) First on the agenda was "Pure mode" and so you know pre-calibration, I've been using D-Nice's current/updated settings which I applied after running the break in DVD for the recommended 150 hrs with about 5-10% of those 150 hrs being normal tv viewing. (So I basically followed the break in proccess to a T.)

That being said, after D set up his calibration equipment to my panel and got the readings/measurements on his lap top of my set pre-calibration... he was almost stunned at the results. The damn thing was already D65 with his reference settings alone !! He attempted to make what was already perfect even more but it was almost pointless since any little tweak he made would not even be visibly noticeable. Dont believe what Im telling you, then wait till you see the calibration reports.

I mean it was just rediculous at how dead on his reference settings were on my panel and should truly prove, especially to all those non believers, that following the break in procedure to a T as he recommends along with his reference settings will get you damn close to D65, if not dead on like in my case.

All right so on to my favorite part the activating of the ISF modes. When the ISF modes are activated and calibrated there's really NO reason to watch it in any other modes. I promise! Not only does what you see look superior from a visual stand point than any other mode but what you see is supported with cold hard facts that nothing gets more accurate. Again dont believe me then wait till you see the cal reports for my panel.

All I could think about after D was done calibrating the ISF modes was, exactly what he entitled his review of the 111 "PERFECTION". The ISF modes over Pure gave me a punchier picture, added detail, added depth, added shadow detail, perfect colors and a big ol' to top it off. It's essentially Pure mode on steriods if you will. Anyway I really cant say enough about it and I cant say enough about the great D-Nice.

The man is one of the nicest people you'll meet (no pun intended ). What I was really impressed with was how down to earth he was and how never once does he make you feel like your not at his level. He's extremly genuine and is more than happy to spend as much time as possible answering any question you have and making sure you are happy with the end result. The man is thorough and a straight up perfectionist when it comes to the art of calibrating a television.

Lastly, as all here can attest to, D-Nice's generousity really speaks for itself when you consider how much he's contirbuted and helped so many (free of charge) in the forum and outside the forum. Your a real class act D and thank you so much for bringing out the beast in my 111!

*BTW D, I'll have you do the honors of presenting everyone with my calibration reports...Time to silence all those non-believers*
Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure to show you exactly what the ISFccc modes can do. Like I've said before, once you see these modes, you will never use another A/V mode...including Pure.

Here are your Post Calibration reports:

PRO-111FD_PureMode.pdf 170.681640625k . file

PRO-111FD_ISFDayMode.pdf 168.9794921875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PRO-111FD_ISFDayMode.pdf (169.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf PRO-111FD_PureMode.pdf (170.7 KB, 10 views)
post #5313 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follow Who? View Post

Anyone with the 9G Elites have any luck with an IR repeater system? I'm thinking about getting a new stand that hides all my gear, but I know that plasma's can wreak havoc on IR receivers. If anyone has had any luck what model of IR kit are you using? Thanks.

I have an IR repeater system in my Home. No issues with the sensor that is below and to the left of the display.
post #5314 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
gm1

Follow Who,
I have one of these which works great. It works like an IR repeater only it converts any IR remote into an IR plus RF remote and you can put your components anywhere in the house. Since it converts the signal inside your remote there is no need for an IR sensor. http://estore.websitepros.com/137369...y=RF+Extenders

The link is to the company that makes them but you can get the even cheaper at Amazon.com

All you do is remove one battery from your remote and replace it with the battery / Rf transmitter. Then place the little space ship looking Rf to IR converter wherever your components are and you're done.
post #5315 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
so the isf modes are day / night modes? and are they also the same as isfccc?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #5316 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 04:37 PM

How close were your ISF day/night settings to the one's D-Nice posted for his 111FD in the ControlCal forum? Can you post them please.

Just want to know if it's worth it for me to activate the ISF modes on my 111FD and apply D-Nice's Day/Night settings on my panel.

It sucks when you live in a nowhere town with no decent calibrators within a 1000 miles of you and can't get your $4000 TV set up to it's maximum potential! I wish D-Nice travled a bit further North to Canada hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post

I am here to report that if you plan on getting your 9G Elite proffesionally calibrated:
#1- GET THE ISF MODES ACTIVATED
#2- GET THE ISF MODES ACTIVATED
#3- GET THE ISF MODES ACTIVATED!

Ok, now that I got that off my chest, let me tell you what an AMAZING job the Godfather himself, yes D-NICE, pulled out of my Pro-111 when he calibrated it this weekend. (No, that last sentence was not a typo) First on the agenda was "Pure mode" and so you know pre-calibration, I've been using D-Nice's current/updated settings which I applied after running the break in DVD for the recommended 150 hrs with about 5-10% of those 150 hrs being normal tv viewing. (So I basically followed the break in proccess to a T.)

That being said, after D set up his calibration equipment to my panel and got the readings/measurements on his lap top of my set pre-calibration... he was almost stunned at the results. The damn thing was already D65 with his reference settings alone !! He attempted to make what was already perfect even more but it was almost pointless since any little tweak he made would not even be visibly noticeable. Dont believe what Im telling you, then wait till you see the calibration reports.

I mean it was just rediculous at how dead on his reference settings were on my panel and should truly prove, especially to all those non believers, that following the break in procedure to a T as he recommends along with his reference settings will get you damn close to D65, if not dead on like in my case.

All right so on to my favorite part the activating of the ISF modes. When the ISF modes are activated and calibrated there's really NO reason to watch it in any other modes. I promise! Not only does what you see look superior from a visual stand point than any other mode but what you see is supported with cold hard facts that nothing gets more accurate. Again dont believe me then wait till you see the cal reports for my panel.

All I could think about after D was done calibrating the ISF modes was, exactly what he entitled his review of the 111 "PERFECTION". The ISF modes over Pure gave me a punchier picture, added detail, added depth, added shadow detail, perfect colors and a big ol' to top it off. It's essentially Pure mode on steriods if you will. Anyway I really cant say enough about it and I cant say enough about the great D-Nice.

The man is one of the nicest people you'll meet (no pun intended ). What I was really impressed with was how down to earth he was and how never once does he make you feel like your not at his level. He's extremly genuine and is more than happy to spend as much time as possible answering any question you have and making sure you are happy with the end result. The man is thorough and a straight up perfectionist when it comes to the art of calibrating a television.

Lastly, as all here can attest to, D-Nice's generousity really speaks for itself when you consider how much he's contirbuted and helped so many (free of charge) in the forum and outside the forum. Your a real class act D and thank you so much for bringing out the beast in my 111!

*BTW D, I'll have you do the honors of presenting everyone with my calibration reports...Time to silence all those non-believers*

post #5317 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:

I've been using an IR repeater for years now, with no ill affect from my plasma. Mine is an older Niles unit. Don't recall the model #.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #5318 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 PM

I'm going to take D-nice advice and get my pro-151 professional calibrated ,hopefully by a professional that contribute to this forum and that works in n.y.c and L.I and that can bring out ISF modes. Since I save alot on my pro-151, I think its just to spend some of it back on someone that help support this forum. Any advice would be helpful
post #5319 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure to show you exactly what the ISFccc modes can do. Like I've said before, once you see these modes, you will never use another A/V mode...including Pure.

D-nice, do you think that if i were to have my 950HD ISFccc calibrated, it would make a difference comparable to that of this panel you just did?
post #5320 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

so the isf modes are day / night modes? and are they also the same as isfccc?

ISFccc = ISF Auto/Day/Night modes on the 9G Elites.
post #5321 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post

D-nice, do you think that if i were to have my 950HD ISFccc calibrated, it would make a difference comparable to that of this panel you just did?

Comparable...absolutely. Equal....no.
post #5322 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdoll View Post

I'm going to take D-nice advice and get my pro-151 professional calibrated ,hopefully by a professional that contribute to this forum and that works in n.y.c and L.I and that can bring out ISF modes. Since I save alot on my pro-151, I think its just to spend some of it back on someone that help support this forum. Any advice would be helpful

I highly recommend Kevin Miller. You can contact him here:

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...calibrate.html
post #5323 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Can someone please explain what settings I should play with when watching a DVD? When I currently watch a DVD, I notice some scenes are really jumpy. I would like to eliminate this from happening. I have a 5080.

Thanks in advance
post #5324 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

As you can tell by all the responses, there are plenty of IR repeater systems that seem to work well. But FWIW, in spite what of what I've always heard about plasma interference, I've never actually experienced any problem with it in my systems. (I have two plasmas with plenty of IR gear located nearby.) The Elites also function very well via serial control, if you're considering that option at all.
post #5325 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Great calibration D. In the pure mode cali., why is the MLL >0.01?? Was that from ambient light and when it got dark the ISF modes cali was at 0.000.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #5326 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

Great calibration D. In the pure mode cali., why is the MLL >0.01?? Was that from ambient light and when it got dark the ISF modes cali was at 0.000.

The 0IRE measurement isn't accurate. On that particular cal run, it was 0.004fL. All other cal run (not in the supplied cal report) were 0. As I've said before, the MLL on the 9G Kuros are so low after break-in that I cannot accurately measure them.
post #5327 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the information. Nice to see we have another reliable calibrator in our midst.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #5328 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1 View Post

How close were your ISF day/night settings to the one's D-Nice posted for his 111FD in the ControlCal forum? Can you post them please.

Just want to know if it's worth it for me to activate the ISF modes on my 111?

D should be able to tell you better than me since I actually haven't seen his posted ISF day/night settings and mine are not accesible becuase I believe I would need control cal to see them. I bet you there not that far off though

And Yes! its WORTH ITto activate the ISF modes. Like I said on my original post and as D-Nice has been stating, you will NEVER use another A/V mode again. Please believe this and if you activate them yourself Im sure D-Nice's posted ISF mode settings will get you very close
post #5329 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Comparable...absolutely. Equal....no.

That's great, D-nice;
My heart sings...

post #5330 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here are your Post Calibration reports:

D-Nice are there break-in procedures for the 151-FD naturally though time, without using break-in DVD's? I can't seem to find them in this forum.
post #5331 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

D-Nice are there break-in procedures for the 151-FD naturally though time, without using break-in DVD's?

No. If you are not going to follow the recommended procedure, watch TV as normal minimizing black bars and logos.
post #5332 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

People have reported permanently damaging their screens with Monster Cleaner in these very forums. Unless they modified their formula, it would be shocking for Pioneer to approve the use of this product.

Thanks. A pioneer rep said to follow the owner's manual if I want to retain a warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

I would only use the cloth and if necessary a dab of distilled water.

I don't even trust water anymore. That too dissolved my last screen.
post #5333 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No. If you are not going to follow the recommended proceedure, watch TV as normal minimizing black bars and logos.

I would have thought there was something similar to how it was done on the 7G sets, ie lower the contrast for 250 hours or so, etc...
post #5334 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't even trust water anymore. That too dissolved my last screen.

Then the water you used was too acidic or too alkaline.
post #5335 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I would have thought there was something similar to how it was done on the 7G sets, ie lower the contrast for 250 hours or so, etc...

Lower it to what?
post #5336 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

a_ok2me their no harm in boosting the settings as long as you use the break in disc properly, by jacking up the settings rather then lowering them you are making sure your tv breaks in faster rather then slower which is the goal of the break in disc.

as far as water comment was your tv an lcd? was your water clean water gallon water etc?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #5337 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

a_ok2me their no harm in boosting the settings as long as you use the break in disc properly, by jacking up the settings rather then lowering them you are making sure your tv breaks in faster rather then slower which is the goal of the break in disc.

as far as water comment was your tv an lcd? was your water clean water gallon water etc?

It was running tap water. I did however just used a dab of Dasani to wipe a fingerprint smudge and it cleaned it - making sure the screen was cool. Previously on this thread, I thought the oil from my fingers dissolved my screen, but fortunately I was wrong.
post #5338 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well...as long as it eventually breaks in, I'll just use it as normal.
post #5339 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

your call, but i would done it just to feel that it evenly wears all the colors/phosphers right also you might spot dead or stuck pixels

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #5340 of 30733 Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

your call, but i would done it just to feel that it evenly wears all the colors/phosphers right also you might spot dead or stuck pixels

Well...if there were stuck/dead pixels I wouldn't want to know about it, kind of like the buzzing - if I hadn't read about it on this forum, I wouldn't have even noticed or thought anything about it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page