The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkandra View Post

Hello Congrats on your new TV. I am scheduled to get a new one by the end of next month once I move into a new place. I am curious about the break-in DVD. Is it mandatory and pioneer recommended? Also can you pls tell me where I can buy the break in dvd and instructions on how to use it?

it is not required and no it is not officially recommended by Pioneer.
just something that some avsers do as an extra precaution. it will help quickly and evenly age the phophors past that intial period where they change the most.

you can buy it here for $6.50 total shipped
http://www.eaprogramming.com/

only use the dnice breakin settings with it and make sure it is playing full screen, check it should change colors every ~26 seconds and last approx 44 minutes. if you want set your dvd player to repeat and let it run for 200 hours straight through........or some prefer only to run it while they are home and others run it while they are at work, your choice.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh my elite goodness I'm in this club (as in having an elite, but not a kuro). I don't know if when I'm gonna get a 9g (or 10g for that matter), but I'll be ready when the time comes. Are you?

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #33 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

just something that some avsers do as an extra precaution. it will help quickly and evenly age the phophors past that intial period where they change the most.

only use the dnice breakin settings with it and make sure it is playing full screen, check it should change colors every ~26 seconds and last approx 44 minutes. if you want set your dvd player to repeat and let it run for 200 hours straight through........or some prefer only to run it while they are home and others run it while they are at work, your choice.

...so during the 200+ hour break-in period, if you want to use a combination of watching TV programs, DVD movies, and use the break-in disc, is it essential that you modify your settings each time you transition from the break-in disc to a movie or TV?

-George
post #34 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 07:41 AM

You can just setup one setting, say standard, and use that for brake-in. Then setup and use the others ,game,movie, to watch tv/movies.
Break-in will age all pixels evenly.
post #35 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Most people in the General disscusion thread is talking 150 hours. And it's what's recomended on the 8G settings thread.

The DVD I have automatically repeats. It's got 32 titles and 90 chapters (of the 45 minute video) so it runs 24 hours before returning to Title 1 Chapter 1.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #36 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

does it have to be the break in dvd for 200 hours... or can I use D nice setttings and watch movies, programs or whaever on full screen after running the DVD for 45 minutes....

200 hours is a lot of time ...I hate the fact that i will not be able to enjoy the TV for 200hrs because of the stupid break in dvd
post #37 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridius View Post

hi there

i have seen a real 8g tv and there seems to be alot of some sort of dancing fuzzyness to the picture and it seems to be only on the pioneers and not other tvs it looks like very faint interferance but i have seen many 8g and thay all have it i was woundering if the 9g has had this removed ?

Most likely speaking of PWM.
I noticed more of it on my 5080 than my Elite 1150.
I never see it now that my panel has ~800hrs on it.
post #38 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridius View Post

hi there

i have seen a real 8g tv and there seems to be alot of some sort of dancing fuzzyness to the picture and it seems to be only on the pioneers and not other tvs it looks like very faint interferance but i have seen many 8g and thay all have it i was woundering if the 9g has had this removed ?

I never noticed fuzzyness on my 5010. I'm running the break-in disc and don't see any fuzzyness but the break-in disc is solid colors.
post #39 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Most people in the General disscusion thread is talking 150 hours. And it's what's recomended on the 8G settings thread.

The DVD I have automatically repeats. It's got 32 titles and 90 chapters (of the 45 minute video) so it runs 24 hours before returning to Title 1 Chapter 1.

I'm using the same disc and I'll be breaking it in for 150 hours. I'm lucky that I got my wife to agree to the 6 days break-in. I dought she would go for 8 days. It took over my kitchen table.
post #40 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad to report no dead pixels so far.
post #41 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

I'm glad to report no dead pixels so far.

Cool, now for my update...

I called Showcase the moment they opened. If I could have gotten back with them yesterday, I could have had the unit today. No such luck. However, I now have a confirmed delivery date for Tuesday afternoon.

And by the way, I was told they have eight 151FDs. All of them are accounted for including me!

I do plan on putting up some before and after pictures. I will start later this afternoon. In the meantime, I've been getting things prepared for the 151FD arrival. You will see what I mean with the "before" pictures.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #42 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkandra View Post

does it have to be the break in dvd for 200 hours... or can I use D nice setttings and watch movies, programs or whaever on full screen after running the DVD for 45 minutes....

200 hours is a lot of time ...I hate the fact that i will not be able to enjoy the TV for 200hrs because of the stupid break in dvd

if your not using the breakin dvd with the breakin settings then your not really doing a breakin.

you can just use the regular recommended settings and get past the initial 200+ hours, just be a little careful and try to watch programs with full screen, avoiding black/grey sidebars and channels with logos and static graphics sections.

again it's just an extra precaution not required.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #43 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Wonder if it can compare with the deep blacks and rich colors i get with my Loewe 38" Aconda?
post #44 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Getting ready for Tuesday!

The FD151 will go right there where the PRO-520HD currently stands. However, I will have to get the delivery people to move it into the bedroom. If you look to the left, you will see the pile of old fashion video formats (including Laserdiscs) I rarely use anymore. I just took them out of the cabinet from the other room, dusted them..and they will go right back in the cabinet once it's moved!

Here is where the PRO-520 will go. And I've already taken out everything in this cabinet so it will be much easier to move to the main listening area.
Currently, I don't have a buyer for this 250lbs 40" picture tube. So in the meantime, it will probably be somewhere on the floor. Once I get the guys to put the tube on the floor, the PRO-520 will go in place of the cabinet and the cabinet will then be brought out and put back in place with the main system. By the way, that cabinet was designed particularly for that 40" tube, so it's a lot thicker than the rest of the other cabinets.

Another view of the main system from an angel. At this time we all have to use our imagination as to how the 151FD will look sitting on top of the center cabinet (when it finally gets put back in place).

Like I mentioned, the cabinet that the 40" tube is currently sitting on is a lot thicker than the rest of these cabinets. So I will have to find a way to rework all of these wires so they can fit with less room. Another words, they will have to be more up against the wall. Also, I may end up having to replacing a few of the existing wires with longer ones so I can then have the extra space needed to get around the thicker cabinet. Currently, some of those wires are JUST long enough to fit from one end of the system to the other. And I no longer use the center speaker that's sitting on top of the PRO-520HD. Even though it was made by the same speaker company as my mains and rears, it just does not sound like the others.

A closer view of the wires. Trust me, I can't wait to upgrade to HDMI! Also, when I upgrade to a new receiver (rather than the current pre-amp and amp I currently use) a lot more of those wires will be gone!

And for the enthusiasts, here is where the subwoofer hides. Obviously, you can't see it when viewing from the front, but man O man, I won't want to have to move this if I ever half to. Much of that cabinetry would have be moved just to get to the subwoofer.

And here, at least the sub is set up so I have access to the controls.

Now I just have to wait till Tuesday. There's still a few things I'm going to have to move around such as the Xbox360 otherwise it will be in the way of the 151FD. Also, the cabinetry on the right will have to be moved to the left once the other cabinet is back in place. Otherwise there will be a gap between the center cabinet that the 151FD will be sitting on and the right cabinet. That reminds me, I'll have to take EVERYTHING out of that right cabinet and I MAY have to take those components off so it will be light enough to move. Maybe the delivery people will be strong enough to move the right cabinet with the equipment on it? We will find out!

post #45 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 06:51 PM

You have about as much wires as i do.
post #46 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Cool, now for my update...

I called Showcase the moment they opened. If I could have gotten back with them yesterday, I could have had the unit today. No such luck. However, I now have a confirmed delivery date for Tuesday afternoon.

And by the way, I was told they have eight 151FDs. All of them are accounted for including me!

I do plan on putting up some before and after pictures. I will start later this afternoon. In the meantime, I've been getting things prepared for the 151FD arrival. You will see what I mean with the "before" pictures.

Great to hear your getting your elite Tuesday. It's going to be a long 3 days. It will look nice in your entertainment center. Looking forward to the after pics.
post #47 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 PM

This could be a stupid question, but I've been out of this loop for a while. Now I'm coming back because I'm in the process of upgrading my home theater. I've been reading about the Elite Kuro Pro for several months. But now I come into the AVS Forum and find that you guys are using the term "9G" for this set. Can anyone explain what the 9G means? I have visited the Pioneer website and have read numerous reviews about this set, but this is the first time I hear of the 9G.

I'm sorry if I've been out of touch for a while, but I've been busy on other things. Will appreciate a brief explanation.

Thanks
post #48 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

9G just refers to the fact that this is the 9th generation of Pioneer plasmas.
post #49 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Vashti, any word on the arrival of your 151?
post #50 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Not yet. Hopefully, soon. I just decided to replace my bookshelf speakers with on-wall speakers (for design reasons which are driving me nuts) - so I'm madly running around trying to find the right ones so it can all be ready to install at the same time. For now, I just have to live off your pics.
post #51 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 10:42 PM

What on wall speakers are you looking at?
post #52 of 30650 Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, I'm trying to find BG17is or 18is to listen to. UMR told me he thought I'd like these for a variety of reasons. But they're tough to find. I'll also have a look at the Paradigm Cinema and Millenia series. I keep falling in love over and over with the ML electrostats. But there's no way they could possibly work for me. If you want to chat more, we should probably do it in PM so as not to drag the thread off topic. I welcome all advice. I might start a thread seeking help in this forum or the speaker forum tomorrow (my design/sound/sight challenges are equally related to plasma and speakers).
post #53 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrivas View Post

Can anyone explain what the 9G means? I have visited the Pioneer website and have read numerous reviews about this set, but this is the first time I hear of the 9G.

Thanks

As mentioned earlier, 9th Generation. Next year will be 10G.

These are also 2nd Generation Kuros.

post #54 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wow if this keeps going up at this rate this thread is going to be super long I'm going to get the PRO-111FD upgrading from a rca hd crt tube F38310 to a panasonic TH-42px75u (step down in PQ) to a pioneer elite 9g PRO-111FD i'll update this post once i have the PRO-111FD.

PS : note can questions regarding the 9g pioneer plasma please be asked in the general thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...27097&page=162

lets try to keep this page on topic with owner's discussion thread thanks

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #55 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beautiful set. Congrats.
post #56 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 03:57 AM

Just a quick question, how is the daytime contrast? As in are the blacks still deep even when there is sunlight shinning on the set?
post #57 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 06:17 AM
RCJ

congrats asystole 13...looking forward to getting mine
post #58 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 AM

Location: Calumet, Michigan, in the U.P.'s Keweenaw Peninsula
Hello, all--I've had a 151 on order for awhile, and I was just informed by my dealer that it would be coming in to their store on or around July 1. This is good news because of my unusual location. (Google zip code 49913 if you want to see where I am).

I thought I'd have trouble getting an Elite because of the 250 mile rule, but there is a dealer about 100 miles south of here; they are an Elite dealer, although they usually only special order these for customers and don't normally stock them in their showroom. I was told I'd have to pay MSRP, unless the unit arrived during their annual "20% off of everything family sale" which runs for a couple of weeks around the time my 151 should arrive, so I'm hoping for things to coincide.

The interesting part of the story is this: I have a Sony 60" SXRD XBR 1, purchased in September of 2005. Some of you may have read on these forums about the problems owners of these sets have had, concerning bad light engines, optical blocks, green blobs, etc. My set has been good until a few months ago, when what I believe is an optical block problem began to show itself, and it is slowly deteriorating.

Fortunately, I purhcased an extended warranty with this TV, which will expire this September. What I hoping for is to get the 151 set up, and then arrange to send in the Sony for repair, or replacement. When I finally get it back, it will be moved out to my shop (I run a video business) and used as an all-purpose monitor.

The SXRD has always had a great picture as long as there are no dark scenes, but the blacks are usually dark greenish/gray, and there is a lot of pixelation in the dark areas due to the damaged optical block.

Hopefully the timing will be good with all of this, and I won't be without a TV for any period of time, and the warranty repair on the old unit will work out.

At any rate, I'm anxious to get the 151, and move it into my existing setup. Delivery from the store 100 miles away will be free, but I'm not sure about unpacking and setup; here in the U.P., I think a tip and a cold beverage for the delivery men might help out in this area.

I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
My Setup
post #59 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
About the break-in dvd. I’d really appreciate your help. I downloaded the iso file and then extracted it. There's an iso image file and a mds file. I can't open the mds file and I don't what it is or what it's for. So I burned the iso to a dvd-r using roxio. Tested it and it seems to work fine. Did I do it right? Will the dvd-r run 24 hours and loop? I'm using an Onkyo 805 HD-DVD player. I don't think it repeats but I'll check.
post #60 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
i dont know if its been answerd but the msd file leave it alone just burn the iso to a disc and that it you did it right ps oh and its BREAK in disc not burn in and i dont know how long it is but i just put the disc onto my player and it was running over night just fine....

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page