The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkk0891 View Post

CAN D-NICE OR UMR OR SOMEONE CLEAR THE AIR ABOUT THE BREAK IN DVD/ACCELERATED BREAK IN /HOURS NEEDED TO RUN THE BREAK IN/ REFERENCE SETTINGS AND ALL THE CRAZY RITUALS THAT NEED TO BE DONE BEFORE I START USING THE PRO 151FD FOR MY QUALITY TIME.....

THIS IS JUST DRIVING ME INSANE THAT I HAVE TO RUN A F..ING DVD FOR 150 - 200 HRS TO GET SOME UNIFORM PHOSPHORS OW WHATEVER THE HECK THAT IS....

PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT EXACTLY TO DO ONCE I GET MY ELITE....I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THIS STUFF

Why don't you take the time and read the many posts on this subject ... then you can decide for yourself. Otherwise you are going to have different people telling you to do different things .... and you're back to square one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM

I used the provided cloth to wipe dust off the bezel. I was extremely gentle and still got what appears to be a small, very faint scratch in the glass (only seen from about 1 1/2 ft under bright lights). Anyways, I would strongly recommend NOT using the provided Pioneer cloth and using a camera lens quality cloth instead.

Kuro'd
post #633 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It's Good to see all this Brotherly Love being spread on a Very Good Forum. Sme Sht Dif DY Forum. Damn Guys just get along.
Glenee

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #634 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The cloth is soft enough, I think there must have been something rough on the panel that got rubbed while you were wiping. I've used the provided cloth with no problem so far.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #635 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Liked: 11
(only seen from about 1 1/2 ft under bright lights).

This was what I was going thru with a scratch on the bezel of my Elite 1150 using a bright light at close distance. Under normal circumstances i cannot see it and neither can anyone else. So, no bright light!
post #636 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

OH I thought this was the Discussion Thread for the new 9G kuro's

not a thread about BREAK-IN/BURN-IN

WTF start a new thread for this kinda talk

I want the retro skin back please
post #637 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

SO....

How's everyone liking their 9G Elites???????

Me personally? I am loving mine!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #638 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

SO....

How's everyone liking their 9G Elites???????

Me personally? I am loving mine!

It's easily the most incredible display I've ever owned. I still can't get over the depth of the picture and sense of 3D that I perceive.

Kuro'd
post #639 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 05:31 PM

I can only imagine how you guys making the people that are waiting for theirs feel right now
post #640 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 PM

I would suggest careful use of compressed air to ensure the screen is free of debris before gently wiping with the provided cloth (or a quality camera lens cloth). I have no evidence that the provided cloth is of any lesser quality than one purchased for lens use.
post #641 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

I can only imagine how you guys making the people that are waiting for theirs feel right now

How's incredibly jealous sound?

But not for long. My 151 is getting delivered tomorrow.
post #642 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post

And it won't ruin if it you do use it, regardless of the fear-mongering, I gather.

What if what I "normally" plan to use it for is 2.35:1 content? Then I would suggest that using it as I normally would would be considerably worse than using the break-in disc.

Just make sure if your 2.35:1 movie is two hours long, to follow it up with six hours (three times) of full frame video.

This is stated in the manual and seems to have no time limit of how many hours are on the panel.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #643 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbb1 View Post

Sounds about right.
post #644 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Sounds dead right!
post #645 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedOne View Post

I used the provided cloth to wipe dust off the bezel. I was extremely gentle and still got what appears to be a small, very faint scratch in the glass (only seen from about 1 1/2 ft under bright lights). Anyways, I would strongly recommend NOT using the provided Pioneer cloth and using a camera lens quality cloth instead.

I think I'll only gently use compressed air! If someone says that's really bad to do, I will really freak!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #646 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I think I'll only gently use compressed air! If someone says that's really bad to do, I will really freak!

If you're using canned air, I would look out for any chemical propellant.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #647 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

post #648 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

And I have owed 30,000 worth of PDPs that says the break-in DVD has it merits. I find it hilarious that a man of your age failed to learn a very important rule: Never push and/or disrespect another person's personal choice. I've NEVER EVER pushed the use of the break-in DVD like you push the fact it is "worthless, ridiculous", "foolish", etc, etc. Last time I check, you provided ZERO monetary funds to my or other's PDP purchases. It's ok to have a different opinion. However it's a different story when one thinks his way is better and the only way to go.

Another snipe, eh?

Piss poor way of not directly insulting me optivity. Hmmm, so you are saying I can't afford a 6020 and/or any other 9G Kuro? Disrespect me again optivity, and we are going to have serious problems. I will be at Robert's Flat panel Shoot-out next month. Care to meet me there so we can thoroughly discuss the ignorant/jealous mentality housed in that frail and disintegrating body of yours? "Build a better box" my ass.

D-Nice,
Don't waste your time with people like that.

I don't know Optivity and read only a handful of his postings, but his post directed at you was not only ignorant but also mean spirited.

That posting had nothing to do with running the break-in DVD, after all no one is forcing anyone to use it.
The posting was just a pathetic backsided attempt at smearing and discrediting you, and most people on here who read that post can clearly see that.

But don't get down to his level; it's just not worth it.
People on here appreciate your contribution to this forum and will bat for you!
post #649 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:

But not for long. My 151 is getting delivered tomorrow.

someone smart on the forum has a signature that states "Patience has its rewards"
post #650 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you're using canned air, I would look out for any chemical propellant.

Haha I knew someone was going to mention this. When I said "carefully" I meant definitely don't shake the can while you spray, or you run the risk of "freezing" a spot on the panel, which I have to imagine would be bad.
post #651 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

FocusedOne, I'm entirely with you. Of all the displays I've personally owned, this is by far, the most incredible and the most satisfying.

For the record, here's the list of TVs with accompanying year (not that it means anything) that I've owned:

1998 - Sony Wega 27" Flat screen
2001 - Mitsubishi WS-55857
2004 - Samsung 30" HDTV
2005 - back to the Mitsubishi WS-55857
2006 - Infocus 4805 Front Projector/92" Screen
2006 - 6 months later - Panasonic AE-900 FP
2007 - Sony KDS-60A2000
2007 - 9 Months later - Sony KDL-52XBR5
2008 - 6 months later - Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD

post #652 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Just make sure if your 2.35:1 movie is two hours long, to follow it up with six hours (three times) of full frame video.

This is stated in the manual and seems to have no time limit of how many hours are on the panel.

Is the threat of "burn-in" that great? I am in the market for a new PDP for my basement and was considering the 151FD because I thought that "burn-in" was all but handled on newer plasmas. Am I missing something? I will use it for various content. I watch lots of TV, mostly HD but some SD (love that Night Court). I will watch movies and play video games (mostly 360, but I can't seem to part ways with my NES and 64). Will "burn-in" be something I will have to constantly worry about?

I am not sure I want to have to hand out a list of guidelines to my family to follow when they are finished using the TV.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #653 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 PM

First, I have a general plea:
Can we please move on/get over/put to rest the whole break-in disc discussion? Or better yet..start a separate thread to hash out this pissing match. It has dominated the past 4+ pages and is getting a tad out of hand and waaayy to personal. Stuff like this is really turning off this newbie to this otherwise amazingly informative forum.

So, in a vain effort to change the topic...can someone riddle me this one?

I just bought a new Panamax surge protector (M8HC-Pro) to go with my 111. I noticed that the picture color had changed dramatically using this new surge vs. my 10+ year old Tripplite. The picture was not as bright, and *much* warmer..to the point where moving the color temp up to mid-high or high made it look like the mid-low I had it set to before the switch. I've never seen anything like this.

The only thing that I noticed is that my Tripplite provides 100db filter protection, whereas the Panamax provides only 58db. Anyone have any thoughts as to the cause or experience something similar? I've checked and the settings stayed the same and did not revert back to factory defaults or anything when I unplugged the set. I'm very perplexed.
post #654 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 PM

I am not mentioning actual prices here but I hope I won't get in trouble for listing percentages.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I purchased the first 151FD that came into my local BB. They gave me a discount of around 7%, not much but I really wanted the set.

AVS member Russ Wong put me onto another dealer who was willing to give a 25% discount.

I went to BB and they knocked their price down substantially (20% less than list). It wasn't as low as Russ's friend but as BB is less than a mile from my home and Russ's friends store is over 25 miles away, I took it.

I also had them exchange the Sony 300 Blu-Ray player for a PS3. Everyone has been saying the PS3 is the better player and it was the same price as the 300.

The funny thing was that it took them only a couple of minutes to refund me the money on the 151FD but it took them over half an hour to exchange the Sony 300 for the PS3.
post #655 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I would suggest careful use of compressed air to ensure the screen is free of debris before gently wiping with the provided cloth (or a quality camera lens cloth). I have no evidence that the provided cloth is of any lesser quality than one purchased for lens use.

I recommend using a microfiber cloth ... wet it well and then ring out all the water you can .... then gently use the damp microfiber cloth to clean you screen, bezel, etc. BTW, microfiber cloths are usually available in auto parts stores and some hardware stores. I'm surprised that so very few people seem to know about these "high tech" cloths that have so many uses and clean with such efficiency.
post #656 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalEd View Post

I recommend using a microfiber cloth ... wet it well and then ring out all the water you can .... then gently use the damp microfiber cloth to clean you screen, bezel, etc. BTW, microfiber cloths are usually available in auto parts stores and some hardware stores. I'm surprised that so very few people seem to know about these "high tech" cloths that have so many uses and clean with such efficiency.

The cloth the TV ships with IS microfiber, as are pretty much all commercially available camera lens cloths. Probably a good idea about wetting it a little, although typically microfiber shines in its ability to clean when dry.
post #657 of 30646 Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:

The cloth the TV ships with IS microfiber, as are pretty much all commercially available camera lens cloths. Probably a good idea about wetting it a little, although typically microfiber shines in its ability to clean when dry.

To add a bit more here ..... The microfiber cloth itself will never scratch anything. However, be careful of any kind of grit on the screen or bezel that might create a scratch as you are cleaning with the cloth.

Depending upon the air quality where you live, your dust may have micro grit that could create a scratch when cleaning .... although, interestingly, household dust is mostly composed of dead-skin flakes.

But don't compulse out on the "perfect" way to clean your plasma. The screen/bezel ain't that fragile. Use some common sense and don't start looking for scratches with a magnifying glass and a bright light. If you go looking for trouble you'll surely find it.
post #658 of 30646 Old 06-25-2008, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldovergrad View Post

I am not mentioning actual prices here but I hope I won't get in trouble for listing percentages.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I purchased the first 151FD that came into my local BB. They gave me a discount of around 7%, not much but I really wanted the set.

AVS member Russ Wong put me onto another dealer who was willing to give a 25% discount.

I went to BB and they knocked their price down substantially (20% less than list). It wasn't as low as Russ's friend but as BB is less than a mile from my home and Russ's friends store is over 25 miles away, I took it.

Along with this experience, does anyone care to offer a ballpark figure on the discount one should shoot for on the 151? I thought I'd start checking a few stores tomorrow (in spite of the concerns raised by reading through this post), and it'd help to know what's reasonable with these units.

P.S. Percentages are fine. I'm not scrounging to shave every last penny here, in fact, I prefer to buy locally and I have no problem paying for good service. It's just that I've never bought a Pioneer plasma and don't want to be the one dumb rube that pays list on a product that's routinely 10-20% less than that!
post #659 of 30646 Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Is the threat of "burn-in" that great?"
NO.

"I thought that "burn-in" was all but handled on newer plasmas."
Yes, except for user stupidness. The scepticism behind your questions already puts you way ahead of a lot of posts in this thread ...

"Am I missing something?"
Nothing, unless you want to miss dozens of pages, obsessiveness, and ever more painful dancing on a pinhead.

"I will use it ... Will 'burn-in' be something I will have to constantly worry about?"
Nope. Use the energy to worry about something of equal concern. Like the type of soap in your dishwasher.

"list of guidelines to my family."
My suggestions ... see Post #628.
And I am serious about this - use common sense for the first couple of weeks and then forget it.

Regards,

- Hunter
post #660 of 30646 Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 AM

^
+1
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd