The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, just out of curiosity, that would you guys recommend as the fastest way to get one of the 151 sets if I order today? Are they even actually in stock anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Local stores probably have them and would be able to get to you within a couple days. Like Best Buy/Magnolia HT. Otherwise, a forum sponser will be able to get it to you sometime next week, I think.

Some places like BB aren't going to have them "in stock" until they get rid of the 8G stock first, but you can still purchase the 9G's from them.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #813 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

Since no one seems to want to post their settings, I'll post mine...

Main Menu:
AV Selection: Pure
Contrast: 35
Brightness: 0
Color: +7
Tint: G2
Sharpness: -7

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema

Film Mode: Advanced
Text Optimization: Off

Intelligence Mode: Off

Picture Detail:

DRE Picture: Off
Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer Mode: 2
Gamma: 2

Color Detail:

Color Temp: Manual
R High 0
G High -2
B High 0
R Low +1
G Low 0
B Low +2

CTI: Off

Color Management
R +2
Y +2
G 0
C +2
B +2
M 0

Color Space: 2

Noise Reduction:

3DNR: Off
Field NR: Off
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off

Power Save Mode: Off

Orbiter: Mode 1

I'm curious to see how these settings stack up to D-Nice's when he gets the 111 dialed in.

Man that long list of settings sure looks beautiful!
I am seriously thinking about getting me a 151.
post #814 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Local stores probably have them and would be able to get to you within a couple days. Like Best Buy/Magnolia HT. Otherwise, a forum sponser will be able to get it to you sometime next week, I think.

Some places like BB aren't going to have them "in stock" until they get rid of the 8G stock first, but you can still purchase the 9G's from them.

From what I can tell by reading the "I got mine" posts, the big brick and mortars (Best Buy, Tweeter) might still have some to sell, though they might be running out with all the one dead pixel returns. I could be wrong, but, as far as forum sponsors, I think Robert's the only one who actually had any Elites in stock to ship. But, there's no harm in calling and asking.
post #815 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post

What "bay area" are you in? Bay of Pigs, Bay of Tonkin? Narrow it down a little.....I would like to know, too

Mike

San Francisco area. Thx.
post #816 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

called Pioneer and they told me about a KRP-500n but they didnt know anything other than the model #

google finds nothing - anyone know about this

I want the retro skin back please
post #817 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusoicy View Post

So, just out of curiosity, that would you guys recommend as the fastest way to get one of the 151 sets if I order today? Are they even actually in stock anywhere?

My local Magnolia has them...no problem. Bought it and picked it up myself all in the same day.
post #818 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

called Pioneer and they told me about a KRP-500n but they didnt know anything other than the model #

google finds nothing - anyone know about this

Are we talking about a TV?
post #819 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 PM

So I ran the dead pixel fixer program for 8 hours today, and when I got home, the stuck pixel was still there. Ugh! I don't want to return the set, but I can see the pixel from my viewing distance (about 7 feet or so).
post #820 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Better to have that peace of mind, IMO. Sure it's a hassle, but you will be glad you did, when you get a perfect working unit!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #821 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 04:58 PM

If you can see it from your normal viewing distance, exchange it for sure.

My dilemma has been that I really can't see it from my viewing area, and trying to decide to roll the dice on another set just because I know the pixels are there.
post #822 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah, thanks for assuring me I'm not crazy for wanting to return it. Honestly, if I couldn't see it at all from my viewing distance, it'd make it a much more difficult decision. There's no buzzing, and the PQ is great! Plus, it's not light! If it'd give you peace of mind (and if you can), rlarsen, you should return yours too. No sense in regretting not returning it 6 months, 1 year, or 4 years from now.
post #823 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Since no one seems to want to post their settings, I'll post mine...

Main Menu:
AV Selection: Pure
Contrast: 35
Brightness: 0
Color: +7
Tint: G2
Sharpness: -7

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema

Text Optimization: Off

Intelligence Mode: Off

Picture Detail:

DRE Picture: Off
Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer Mode: 2
Gamma: 2

Color Detail:

Color Temp: Manual
R High 0
G High -2
B High 0
R Low +1
G Low 0
B Low +2

CTI: Off

Color Management
R +2
Y +2
G 0
C +2
B +2
M 0

Color Space: 2

Noise Reduction:

3DNR: Off
Field NR: Off
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off

Power Save Mode: Off

Orbiter: Mode 1

I'm curious to see how these settings stack up to D-Nice's when he gets the 111 dialed in.

Thanks for the settings. I just finished my break in CD and this will help out greatly

I will let you know how it goes
post #824 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 06:07 PM

Location: Calumet, Michigan, in the U.P.'s Keweenaw Peninsula
My salesman informed me today that my 151 is now in their warehouse in Madison, Wisconsin, and tomorrow (Saturday) it should be on its way north to Marquette, Michigan, to the store I ordered it from. (American Appliance & Electronics).

From there, American will deliver it on up to me, another 120 miles north on the Keweenaw Peninsula. Delivery will be next Tuesday, July 1, which is the exact date I was told I would receive it about 2 months ago.

I'm hoping all goes well during the transport, and of course, hoping for a no-buzz pixel perfect unit. My room is ready, and a friend will be on hand next Tuesday to help me get my 60" SXRD out to my shop, leaving room for the Kuro to go in its place.

According to what I've read so far, I plan on unpacking it while the delivery guys are still here, checking that it will power on, and that the glass isn't cracked. I'm also planning on assembling the stand first, and then lifting the 151 out of the box bottom onto the stand, tightening it down, then mounting the speakers and lifting it in to place (with help, of course).

One question I haven't found answered here is this: I have a Mac, and have downloaded the break in DVD as a Video TS folder; I'm assuming that I just need to burn this folder to a disc, and it will work as a break in DVD. Anybody else use the Video TS format to burn their DVD on a Mac?

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
My Setup
post #825 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobybrut View Post

I've seen a number of mounts that claim to support up to 200 lbs. and move "easily" so I'm optimistic it would work since this TV weighs around 110 pounds, give or take. Most of the ones I've seen from Peerless or Sanus were rated 4 or 5 stars out of 5, each with raving reviews.

I've also seen a motorized one that would have been ideal except for the limitation of only 28 degrees of movement left and right. The non-motorized ones can often tilt 180 degrees laterally.

My main concern is whether the holes would work well. Even the "universal" mounts claim not to support all TV's. I haven't been able to find a single mount claiming to support the 151FD, so I'm hesitant to spend $250-500 for a mount that might not work and wouldn't be easy to return once opened. That's why I'm hoping someone on this forum has actually successfully hung one up on the wall with an articulating mount.

I had a 7G 50" pio elite and used the omnimount ucl-x with it. Last week I upgraded to the 151FD. Took down the 50" and put the 151FD on it and it works fine.

Feels very sturdy. I have pulled it out prob 18 to 20" from the wall with ease. That being said, i don't know if i would want to keep it that far from the wall and move it all the time. But by what i've seen, if mounted correctly, the mount should be able to handle it easily. It's rated up to 200lb's

http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...9-cde15c17b785

I oredered mine new from ebay a couple years ago at a big discount off of msrp.
post #826 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I'm just curious if anyone sensitive to the 'magenta' blue issue with the 8g Elites in CS2, has seen improvements in this issue with the 9g. Of course if this manifestation was due soley to conformity with Rec709, I suppose there would be no change.
post #827 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post

Hey asystole, I'm having the same dilemma on my 111. I have a stuck pixel about four inches from the left and five inches from the top. I notice it, even from my seat, when there are white screens (the Arctic chapter of Planet Earth, for instance) or sky shots (in golf or whatever else).

I've tried running the stuck pixel fixer program linked to earlier in this thread, which a generous David uploaded after I complained about my stuck pixel. The program is a .mov that flashes red, green, and blue in a quick pattern. I've run it in limited doses to no avail. However, David said it needed to be run for a long time (~8 hours), and I'm finally doing that today (at 2x speed). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yesterday, I ran a couple Pixar movies (Finding Nemo on DVD, Ratatouille on DVD and Blu-ray), hoping that would clear up the stuck pixel (based on Roman and others' suggestions). That didn't work either. Maybe I need to run them all day on loop?

If the stuck pixel remains, I'm afraid I'll have to return the 111 and get a new one. Which sucks because there's no buzzing and the PQ is great otherwise. And that's not to mention the hassle to box it up (somehow) and transport it back to Best Buy. Ugh!

Do you have a link to the the stuck pixel fixer. I will give that a try. I can't see it during normal viewing content. I will check if I can see it on light screen from my viewing distance.
post #828 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Starting to think this unit is a dud anyway, freaking buzzing is getting louder. Can hear it over other things now. :/
post #829 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPeeT View Post

Have you tried turning "Pure Cinema" to "OFF"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post

Maybe kill all the noise filters too?

Alas, neither suggestion worked. Thanks though.

It is very shaky, and gets shakier the more activity on the screen. With three people playing, all of the respective "beat" lines, which are light gray in color, shake as if plucked strings. Playing solo with slower songs, they are OK. Neither suggestion made a noticeable improvement.

It basically seems like the screen can't keep up with the graphics as it scrolls down. Is it an interlacing issue possibly? Is going up to 1080p the only solution? Hmmm...

EDIT: Found the answer. I downgraded the 360 to 720p from 1080i and the shaking disappeared. When I try 1080p (over component), I get no picture.
post #830 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post

Starting to think this unit is a dud anyway, freaking buzzing is getting louder. Can hear it over other things now. :/

Geez, that's really too bad. Okay, is it just me, or maybe that the discussion has tended this way for a few days now, but doesn't it seem like there are an awful lot of pixels and buzzes going on with this TV? Don't get me wrong, I do recognize that a lot of you are very happy with your new, trouble-free Kuros, and the picture on mine is absolutely stunning (no dead pixels detected....yet), but the buzz is a serious problem. Others have that, still others have dead or quirky pixels, still others have both. What's the deal on Pioneer quality control? This is supposed to be the cream-of-the-crop plasma out there, and we paid cream-of-the-crop prices, yet several of us are contemplating returning them for replacements due to these annoying little issues that thorough QC could have weeded out.
post #831 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Geez, that's really too bad. Okay, is it just me, or maybe that the discussion has tended this way for a few days now, but doesn't it seem like there are an awful lot of pixels and buzzes going on with this TV? Don't get me wrong, I do recognize that a lot of you are very happy with your new, trouble-free Kuros, and the picture on mine is absolutely stunning (no dead pixels detected....yet), but the buzz is a serious problem. Others have that, still others have dead or quirky pixels, still others have both. What's the deal on Pioneer quality control? This is supposed to be the cream-of-the-crop plasma out there, and we paid cream-of-the-crop prices, yet several of us are contemplating returning them for replacements due to these annoying little issues that thorough QC could have weeded out.

I don't have a buzzing issue with my 151 but I do have one dead pixel. When I first started the break-in I checked the screen thoroughly and there were no dead pixels so my issue would have nothing to do with QC
post #832 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

I don't have a buzzing issue with my 151 but I do have one dead pixel. When I first started the break-in I checked the screen thoroughly and there were no dead pixels so my issue would have nothing to do with QC

I have no idea how mine got thru QC with a buzz like it has.
Maybe they check the Tv in a noisy factory and can't hear it during QC.
They should build a sound proof room or something and do a buzz test.
post #833 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Chad,

Were you able to fix the position of your screen, so that it's centered in the middle?

Patience has its rewards.
post #834 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 PM

I'm looking into buying one of this famous Elites but one thing is stopping me. I'm using it for movies but mainly for gaming. Should I worry about burning!
post #835 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

I have no idea how mine got thru QC with a buzz like it has.
Maybe they check the Tv in a noisy factory and can't hear it during QC.
They should build a sound proof room or something and do a buzz test.

Or better yet, figure out what causes the buzz and just fix it, once and for all. As my dad used to say, "if they can put a man on the moon....."
post #836 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Or better yet, figure out what causes the buzz and just fix it, once and for all. As my dad used to say, "if they can put a man on the moon....."

Having an electrode on the back glass and the front glass is the fundamental source of the buzz. In order to fix the source they need to use side firing electrodes (one concept of 10-lumen tech) where the electric field is parallel to the glass and not perpendicular to it.

To mitigate this buzz they can add a second layer of glass with an air gap between the two, or thicken the glass, or use a frequency outside the audible range (most likely).

P.S. - With my OCD I'm surprised I am not worried at all about panel buzz. It helps that I'm used to my electric shaver sounding CRT

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #837 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have my Film Mode on Advanced too. I don't understand why I would want it to be on standard like D-Nice suggests.

Maybe I don't understand the real differences between Film Mode Standard and Advanced. I do know that the "Advanced" helps make 24 fps video 24x3 for a film like reproduction.

I would think it will do the same with movies on DVD and on TV with the "Advanced" setting.

I would think that "Advanced" would not touch 720P video that's 30 or 60fps. And also not touch 1080i/30fps.

So why go with "Standard"?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #838 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I have my Film Mode on Advanced too. I don't understand why I would want it to be on standard like D-Nice suggests.

Maybe I don't understand the real differences between Film Mode Standard and Advanced. I do know that the "Advanced" helps make 24 fps video 24x3 for a film like reproduction.

I would think it will do the same with movies on DVD and on TV with the "Advanced" setting.

I would think that "Advanced" would not touch 720P video that's 30 or 60fps. And also not touch 1080i/30fps.

So why go with "Standard"?

I just watched Bourne Ultimatum HD DVD on Advanced and it looked incredible. I don't think my erratic pixels are going to be much of an issue, I didn't notice them once.

One thing I did notice earlier when experimenting with Power Save Mode 1 and 2, Mode 1 is effectively useless, it does nothing for the buzz. Mode 2 eliminates it completely, and I don't notice a drop in brightness, what I do notice is the onset of "shimmering" type noise when viewing the screen from about a foot away (and I had to flip back and forth several times to even notice it). At viewing distance there appears to be no discernible difference.

Can anyone say definitively what it is Power Save Mode 2 is actually doing?
post #839 of 30510 Old 06-27-2008, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard that there were some issues with the Advanced Setting in the 8Gs that have been cleared up in the 9G. D-Nice originally suggested the Standard because of it, not sure what he says about the 9Gs and the settings for that, though. We'll see when he reviews the 111.

post #840 of 30510 Old 06-28-2008, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

Having an electrode on the back glass and the front glass is the fundamental source of the buzz. In order to fix the source they need to use side firing electrodes (one concept of 10-lumen tech) where the electric field is parallel to the glass and not perpendicular to it.

To mitigate this buzz they can add a second layer of glass with an air gap between the two, or thicken the glass, or use a frequency outside the audible range (most likely).

P.S. - With my OCD I'm surprised I am not worried at all about panel buzz. It helps that I'm used to my electric shaver sounding CRT

Thank you for the explanation. Can you further speculate as to why there seems to be so much variability between panels? Some owners say their panel is completely silent, others have such a loud buzz they hear it across the room. And most importantly, is there anything users with "noisy" panels can do about it, other than get it replaced and cross their fingers for a quiet one?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page