The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9001 of 30655 Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Member
 
colgra01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fellas- I am thinking I am going to watch Planet Earth Blu Ray as my first thing on this tv. What mode should I watch it in? I really want to impress the wife and show her what the hype was all about.

Someone mentioned I shouldnt watch Dark Knight until it is broken in. Is this true? I will be running the break in DVD and watching blu rays and HDTV. But out of the box, I am going planet earth, so any innaugral settings/modes/advice would be appreciated once again! Thanks fellas!
colgra01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9002 of 30655 Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Member
 
colgra01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking literally for straight out of the box and on the wall tomorrow modes/settings advice. Literally, the christmas morning instructions

Also, when you guys run your nreak in dvd, they have their own settings. When you are going to watch a movie or tv while you are not running the break in dvd, is it as easy as pressing a specific mode while watching one of those? I guess what i am asking, is the pure, sport mode, etc all saved in memory so i can choose them and they will go to it automatically? what about break in settings, do i have to manually plug those in everytime i switch back to running the break in dvd?

Sorry for asking so many questions, just wanna get this right tomorrow! thank you all!
colgra01 is offline  
post #9003 of 30655 Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,923
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Just brought home my Pro-111fd, tomorrow my brother will be coming over to help me remove the 52" XBR3 and hang the Elite.

Is it ok for me to watch movies in 2.35/2.41 aspects with the bars top and bottom in the first hours? I will probably put in Apocolypto, Sweeney Todd, or some other 1.84 title and let it run on repeat to settle the set in unless this is a bad idea while I;m sleeping. I just want to make sure I can watch a movie if I want within the first 150 hours without worrying about IR/Burn-in, or what aspect ratio it is.

thanks

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is offline  
post #9004 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Member
 
sbwtwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colgra01 View Post

Fellas- I am thinking I am going to watch Planet Earth Blu Ray as my first thing on this tv. What mode should I watch it in? I really want to impress the wife and show her what the hype was all about.

Someone mentioned I shouldnt watch Dark Knight until it is broken in. Is this true? I will be running the break in DVD and watching blu rays and HDTV. But out of the box, I am going planet earth, so any innaugral settings/modes/advice would be appreciated once again! Thanks fellas!

I did the same--Planet Earth--and watched it in Pure, dot-by-dot. But I think it will be more of a wow after a break-in period, whether or not you follow the 150 hour, color slide, hot temps method referred to in the settings thread (first post). Also, make sure you have your sound pretty well set up. It adds a certain depth to the experience and, should you have one or more, will make your dogs go crazy when the herds of whatever cross the screen.

--Scooter
sbwtwo is offline  
post #9005 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 AM
Member
 
sbwtwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colgra01 View Post

I am looking literally for straight out of the box and on the wall tomorrow modes/settings advice. Literally, the christmas morning instructions

Also, when you guys run your nreak in dvd, they have their own settings. When you are going to watch a movie or tv while you are not running the break in dvd, is it as easy as pressing a specific mode while watching one of those? I guess what i am asking, is the pure, sport mode, etc all saved in memory so i can choose them and they will go to it automatically? what about break in settings, do i have to manually plug those in everytime i switch back to running the break in dvd?

Sorry for asking so many questions, just wanna get this right tomorrow! thank you all!

If you follow the break-in instructions, it will be rather simple. They use the Sport mode for break-in. I am using the flash drive method. When I turn on the break-in routine, I simply go to Home Media Gallery>USB>Folder>image1, then go to Tools to verify that the slide show settings are correct. Finally, I verify the AV mode by pushing that button on the remote. It hasn't changed since I first set it up.

Just select an AV setting (that is not the one you use for break-in) for your blu-ray input or tv signal input and that setting seems to stay with that input.

One final note, it took me about a week to discover why the set was shutting itself off when I left it to run through the break-in slides overnight. I had the No operation setting set to 'on'. Even with a movie running, once the time of no operation has been exceeded, the tv shuts off. I had to see it to believe it (and to know that it was a feature, not a bug). One would assume that watching a movie would be considered 'operation' but alas, no.

Enjoy your new toy.

--Scooter
sbwtwo is offline  
post #9006 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Member
 
colgra01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtwo View Post

I did the same--Planet Earth--and watched it in Pure, dot-by-dot. But I think it will be more of a wow after a break-in period, whether or not you follow the 150 hour, color slide, hot temps method referred to in the settings thread (first post). Also, make sure you have your sound pretty well set up. It adds a certain depth to the experience and, should you have one or more, will make your dogs go crazy when the herds of whatever cross the screen.

Pure it is for tonight! Thank you for the advice. Then I get to work with the break in DVD! My wife and I have two cats, so they will get a kick out of the sounds I am sure...cant wait to watch this blu ray.
colgra01 is offline  
post #9007 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 05:31 AM
Member
 
colgra01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtwo View Post

If you follow the break-in instructions, it will be rather simple. They use the Sport mode for break-in. I am using the flash drive method. When I turn on the break-in routine, I simply go to Home Media Gallery>USB>Folder>image1, then go to Tools to verify that the slide show settings are correct. Finally, I verify the AV mode by pushing that button on the remote. It hasn't changed since I first set it up.

Just select an AV setting (that is not the one you use for break-in) for your blu-ray input or tv signal input and that setting seems to stay with that input.

One final note, it took me about a week to discover why the set was shutting itself off when I left it to run through the break-in slides overnight. I had the No operation setting set to 'on'. Even with a movie running, once the time of no operation has been exceeded, the tv shuts off. I had to see it to believe it (and to know that it was a feature, not a bug). One would assume that watching a movie would be considered 'operation' but alas, no.

Enjoy your new toy.

VERY good information, thank you! Will make sure to turn the no operation feature off so that I can run the DVD on a loop.
colgra01 is offline  
post #9008 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 05:33 AM
Member
 
colgra01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you assign the Break In Settings to a certain AV memory? FOr instance, can I save the break in settings anywhere on the tv so that when I am running the break in DVD I can just hit that assigned button, whatever it is?
colgra01 is offline  
post #9009 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
James W. Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Birch Bay/Whatcom county, WA
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colgra01 View Post

Can you assign the Break In Settings to a certain AV memory? FOr instance, can I save the break in settings anywhere on the tv so that when I am running the break in DVD I can just hit that assigned button, whatever it is?

You assign the settings to Sport mode, you just have to put it in Sport mode
when you want to do some break in.
But if you do it via USB it will stay in Sport so if you do it this way then just pop in the usb drive.
James W. Johnson is offline  
post #9010 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
texasveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: plano, tx
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I'm having trouble deciding is whether or not to get a 60". My problem is that I think in my apartment a 60" would be too big, but I don't plan on living there for more than a year. My sofa is about 6-8 feet away from the wall the TV will be on.

Also, the fact that I can get a 101FD this weekend, or wait three more weeks to get the 141FD. Thoughts?
texasveteran is offline  
post #9011 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
James W. Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Birch Bay/Whatcom county, WA
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colgra01 View Post

Fellas- I am thinking I am going to watch Planet Earth Blu Ray as my first thing on this tv. What mode should I watch it in? I really want to impress the wife and show her what the hype was all about.

Someone mentioned I shouldnt watch Dark Knight until it is broken in. Is this true? I will be running the break in DVD and watching blu rays and HDTV. But out of the box, I am going planet earth, so any innaugral settings/modes/advice would be appreciated once again! Thanks fellas!

Just enjoy you new TV , optimum is a good one for good 1080p content.
No , you can watch Dark Knight right out of the box.
Just dont do something like, .... go into a mode and crank up the contrast and color full blast then look at you family photos via USB or something to that effect.

Turn on the orbiter.

You have a plasma that is the most IR proof out of all plasmas available today.
James W. Johnson is offline  
post #9012 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
glum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pale Blue Dot
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post

it is not only evident with no signal - it is evident in some movies with very black scenes, or when fading to black between/during any scenes.

But - yes does improve with time and is almost 100% gone after 600 hours.

+1
glum is offline  
post #9013 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Member
 
colgra01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

You assign the settings to Sport mode, you just have to put it in Sport mode
when you want to do some break in.
But if you do it via USB it will stay in Sport so if you do it this way then just pop in the usb drive.

Perfect, thank you. I wont be using any USB ports, but will most certainly use DNICE's settings as SPORT mode for breaking in with the DVD. ANd then if I want to watch a blu ray inbetween break in, just use PURE (right?)
colgra01 is offline  
post #9014 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

What I'm having trouble deciding is whether or not to get a 60". My problem is that I think in my apartment a 60" would be too big, but I don't plan on living there for more than a year. My sofa is about 6-8 feet away from the wall the TV will be on.

Also, the fact that I can get a 101FD this weekend, or wait three more weeks to get the 141FD. Thoughts?

Wait for the 60". You will kick yourself if you go small now.

Also. I do not think the signatures come with a stand. Not sure if you can hang the 141 in your apt. If you cannot hang a tv there, go ahead and get the 151.
tigerfan33 is offline  
post #9015 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
James W. Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Birch Bay/Whatcom county, WA
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

What I'm having trouble deciding is whether or not to get a 60". My problem is that I think in my apartment a 60" would be too big, but I don't plan on living there for more than a year. My sofa is about 6-8 feet away from the wall the TV will be on.

Also, the fact that I can get a 101FD this weekend, or wait three more weeks to get the 141FD. Thoughts?


101FD plus about 40-45% = the 141FDs screen.

I would wait, 60" is alot bigger...larger means you will be able to
appreciate it more.
Take a look at this chart.....





I sit 9.5" back from my 151fd, based on that chart 60" is about
perfect for me. Anything smaller and 1080p would not be that
noticable. I can verify this too because the 151fd replaced a 46"
Sony bravia lcd.

But then again the Sony was not near the display the Pioneer is
so smaller was ok because its faults were not as noticable from
a distance.

Get the 60" display man , you will be very happy you did.
James W. Johnson is offline  
post #9016 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ddgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In A Government Yard In SacTown
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

What I'm having trouble deciding is whether or not to get a 60". My problem is that I think in my apartment a 60" would be too big, but I don't plan on living there for more than a year. My sofa is about 6-8 feet away from the wall the TV will be on.

Also, the fact that I can get a 101FD this weekend, or wait three more weeks to get the 141FD. Thoughts?

Get the 60"!
ddgtr is offline  
post #9017 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Newbie
 
Tyler4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys are making me wish i got the 60"!! But I live in a smaller condo, so I think the 50" is plenty for me. I just picked it up on Saturday and I'm loving it so far. I just had no clue how much I didnt know about TV's. I thought I was pretty knowlegable but I have a lot to learn.
Tyler4 is offline  
post #9018 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
texasveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: plano, tx
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

101FD plus about 40-45% = the 141FDs screen.

I would wait, 60" is alot bigger...larger means you will be able to
appreciate it more.
Take a look at this chart.....





I sit 9.5" back from my 151fd, based on that chart 60" is about
perfect for me. Anything smaller and 1080p would not be that
noticable. I can verify this too because the 151fd replaced a 46"
Sony bravia lcd.

But then again the Sony was not near the display the Pioneer is
so smaller was ok because its faults were not as noticable from
a distance.

Get the 60" display man , you will be very happy you did.


Thanks, guys. I'll wait on the 141FD. I was leaning that way anyway, it's just that I have no TV right now and my unread book collection is dwindling quickly.


And yes, I will be mounting it.
texasveteran is offline  
post #9019 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lake Tahoe, NV
Posts: 4,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Happy Holidays Everyone...



LL
LL

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

 

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

turbe is offline  
post #9020 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
texasveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: plano, tx
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Happy Holidays Everyone...

Are these Elite image screenshots or real photographs?
texasveteran is offline  
post #9021 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lake Tahoe, NV
Posts: 4,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

Are these Elite image screenshots or real photographs?

haha, that's a good idea... feeling too lazy though..

I just snapped them (Canon SD870IS)

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

 

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

turbe is offline  
post #9022 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 09:30 AM
 
ROMAN O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nationwide Staples
Posts: 4,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
turbe that looks like Seattle now
ROMAN O is offline  
post #9023 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lake Tahoe, NV
Posts: 4,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Just saw this:
Owners in Chicago wanting Pro Calibration next week....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptheRemote View Post

FYI --

I have a loyal, long-time client who recently moved from St. Louis to Chicago who needs some immediate post-holiday calibration attention after completing his new home theater over the weekend.

As a result, I'm going to be in the Chicago area next Monday Dec 29 and Tuesday, Dec 30 and because this is an otherwise one-off, one-client trip, I thought I'd drop you a note here to see if anyone else would be interested in scheduling a calibration while I'm in the area. I'll be waiving travel fees.

I'm coming from St. Louis, so in addition to the Chicago area, so I could also combine this with one or two stops in northern and/or central Illinois.

FWIW, in addition to the normal calibration toolkit, I am also equipped with the ControlCAL tools needed to calibrate current Pioneer Elite and non-Elite plasmas, and also possess the software tools required for activating ISF Day/Night modes on previous model Elites.

If you're interested, please call ASAP at 314-495-2993 or eMail me (doug [at] clearlyresolved.com).


Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

 

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

turbe is offline  
post #9024 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Member
 
juardis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
D-nice came and calibrated my 111 for ISFccc-day and night and Pure on Saturday. On Sunday I watched a lot of football during the day and at night I watch more football and a movie. Since this is really the first opportunity I've had to just watch my 111, here are some observations.

1. I like ISF-day a LOT - even at night watching movies. However, my christmas tree lights were on at night, so when the tree comes down next week and the room goes back to being dark at night, perhaps ISF-day will be too bright. I tried Pure for watching football, but it's too dull for my taste. ISF gives sports the pop I really wanted without the oversaturated feel that some of the other AV modes give me.

2. I have 3 large windows behind where I sit, which is directly in front of the tv. Although the sun does not enter those windows, it is quite bright during the day. So much so that I cannot watch a "dark" movie during the day without the reflections ruining things. Yes, the screen is anti-reflective, and is definitely an upgrade over what I had (52" rear projection standard def TV), but there is still a reflection. Watching football with the ISF-day settings though and I hardly notice the reflections. But as I said, the darker the scene, the more you notice the reflections.

3. CBS's HD broadcast of football (I think it was CBS - it was the Titans-Pittsburgh game) was terrible. About every minute or so there would be pixellated artifacts that would flash on the screen for about 1/10th of a second. Sometimes the artifacts would be green. Sometimes it would be just a small clump of pixels, sometimes a larger area, and sometimes it would last for a couple of seconds. Without the pixellated noise, the broadcast was gorgeous. However, the noise happened so much that it got annoying after awhile, almost to the point that I wanted to switch channels. I hope this was isolated to this one game, or even to CBS's broadcast and is not indicative of all the DirecTv HD signals.

4. D-nice was able to set the side bars on a 4:3 picture to black. I struggled the other night trying to get them black and failed. They stayed grey (almost white) no matter what I tried. I finally had to stretch the screen to get rid of the side bars, but that looked bad, so I basically resigned myself to either living with the gray sidebars or not watching 4:3 content. Not sure how he did it, but D-nice fixed that for me and now I'm a happy camper. The black just blends into the bezel and you can't tell where one starts and the other ends.

5. D-nice was great.

6. My 111 is even greater! I love this set!!!!
juardis is offline  
post #9025 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lake Tahoe, NV
Posts: 4,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by juardis View Post

D-nice came and calibrated my 111 for ISFccc-day and night and Pure on Saturday.

Thanks for your Report..

Quote:
Originally Posted by juardis View Post


5. D-nice was great.

6. My 111 is even greater! I love this set!!!!


Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

 

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

turbe is offline  
post #9026 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
corpfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My suggestion is set the SPORT mode to the break-in settings and run the thumbdrive break-in at night or when not watching and not around the TV (the beautiful break-in colours can be BRIGHT!).

Then watch everything on OPTIMUM during the break in.

That is what I did.

Also, you can set PURE to settings you prefer or like or use D-NICE settings.

Get yourself the AVIA II DVD and experiment with the lights off - it is fun!

I also posted some settings a few pages back in this thread that I really enjoy for PURE and SPORT.

I sent you a PM - but it was before I read your last couple posts.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colgra01 View Post

I am looking literally for straight out of the box and on the wall tomorrow modes/settings advice. Literally, the christmas morning instructions

Also, when you guys run your nreak in dvd, they have their own settings. When you are going to watch a movie or tv while you are not running the break in dvd, is it as easy as pressing a specific mode while watching one of those? I guess what i am asking, is the pure, sport mode, etc all saved in memory so i can choose them and they will go to it automatically? what about break in settings, do i have to manually plug those in everytime i switch back to running the break in dvd?

Sorry for asking so many questions, just wanna get this right tomorrow! thank you all!

corpfan1 is offline  
post #9027 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
corpfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes - there is one setting of the 2 that SHOULD be set to on. The other one should be off to avoid what the quoted post below says. But the other should be ON to save yourself from other situations like falling asleep when there is something stuck on the screen, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtwo View Post

If you follow the break-in instructions, it will be rather simple. They use the Sport mode for break-in. I am using the flash drive method. When I turn on the break-in routine, I simply go to Home Media Gallery>USB>Folder>image1, then go to Tools to verify that the slide show settings are correct. Finally, I verify the AV mode by pushing that button on the remote. It hasn't changed since I first set it up.

Just select an AV setting (that is not the one you use for break-in) for your blu-ray input or tv signal input and that setting seems to stay with that input.

One final note, it took me about a week to discover why the set was shutting itself off when I left it to run through the break-in slides overnight. I had the No operation setting set to 'on'. Even with a movie running, once the time of no operation has been exceeded, the tv shuts off. I had to see it to believe it (and to know that it was a feature, not a bug). One would assume that watching a movie would be considered 'operation' but alas, no.

Enjoy your new toy.

corpfan1 is offline  
post #9028 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
corpfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Or Optimum.

I find PURE a "bit" off with out of the box settings. But, when I say "bit" - I mean just a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colgra01 View Post

Perfect, thank you. I wont be using any USB ports, but will most certainly use DNICE's settings as SPORT mode for breaking in with the DVD. ANd then if I want to watch a blu ray inbetween break in, just use PURE (right?)

corpfan1 is offline  
post #9029 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Dewg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a 151FD and noticed after 1 day of using it that there was a "blob" or smudge in the lower right corner. Looked like what would happen if a logo was burned into the screen. It was about 4" by 1" and was annoying, especially when watching anything with a bright background, like Hockey.

Service came out and determined that it was a defective panel and the store owner insisted on replacing the unit for me instead of having it repaired (which would have taken 14 days). I was floored by his treatment of the situation and vowed to patronize him again in the future.

New 151FD arrives. This one has a dead pixel in the center of the screen. UGH!!! The store owner, this time, reluctantly agrees to replace the unit again. He tells me that stuck or dead pixels are normal for plasma and LCDs and the manufacturers allow for a certain number of them before it's deemed defective. And also tells me that he's never had an Elite returned more than once before in his career of selling TVs.

I actually started to feel bad for the store owner, but then I realized something... We've all purchased the Pioneer "Elite" models. That word, Elite, by definition is the very best of something - the cream of the crop. My understanding is that the Elite models are hand picked components and held to a much higher standard than the non-elite versions. So this begs the question - why should any Elite Pioneer TV have stuck or dead pixels, defects in the plasma panel or power systems? Are these defects from shipping the TVs - too much jarring about? Should anyone settle for anything less than "elite" when their TVs arrive and have such problems?

I'm just very pleased that the store is handling this situation to my satisfaction. So now I'm waiting for my 3rd 151FD, which will hopefully be free of blobs, smudges, blotches and stuck or dead pixels. Is that so much to ask from an Elite TV? 3rd time's the charm, eh?
Dewg is offline  
post #9030 of 30655 Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
corpfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your due for a loud buzzer. Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewg View Post

I purchased a 151FD and noticed after 1 day of using it that there was a "blob" or smudge in the lower right corner. Looked like what would happen if a logo was burned into the screen. It was about 4" by 1" and was annoying, especially when watching anything with a bright background, like Hockey.

Service came out and determined that it was a defective panel and the store owner insisted on replacing the unit for me instead of having it repaired (which would have taken 14 days). I was floored by his treatment of the situation and vowed to patronize him again in the future.

New 151FD arrives. This one has a dead pixel in the center of the screen. UGH!!! The store owner, this time, reluctantly agrees to replace the unit again. He tells me that stuck or dead pixels are normal for plasma and LCDs and the manufacturers allow for a certain number of them before it's deemed defective. And also tells me that he's never had an Elite returned more than once before in his career of selling TVs.

I actually started to feel bad for the store owner, but then I realized something... We've all purchased the Pioneer "Elite" models. That word, Elite, by definition is the very best of something - the cream of the crop. My understanding is that the Elite models are hand picked components and held to a much higher standard than the non-elite versions. So this begs the question - why should any Elite Pioneer TV have stuck or dead pixels, defects in the plasma panel or power systems? Are these defects from shipping the TVs - too much jarring about? Should anyone settle for anything less than "elite" when their TVs arrive and have such problems?

I'm just very pleased that the store is handling this situation to my satisfaction. So now I'm waiting for my 3rd 151FD, which will hopefully be free of blobs, smudges, blotches and stuck or dead pixels. Is that so much to ask from an Elite TV? 3rd time's the charm, eh?

corpfan1 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread - Pro111fd by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off