The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 307 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9181 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xortam View Post

The Signature monitors are built to a tighter tolerance than your average standard Elite TV (an exceptionally good one probably sneaks through on occasion). " "Hand-selected" components" are not a myth.

Read the press release from Pioneer:

Not to get into a big debate about it but any type of press release marketing is going to sound great but it doesn't always mean much. "Hand selected" could mean they take a part from a box of 100 and it would be hand selected. Further hand testing could simply mean they look at the box to make sure it isn't damaged and the machine testing could be something they do on everything and something simple at that.

I love my Kuro but I take any press release or marketing promise with a grain of salt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

Output-YCbCr
RGB-Limited
Super White-On

Don't worry about Cross Color Reduction. The Cross Color Filter is for analog. Per the PS3 manual "Reduce color noise when the system is connected using an AV cable (composite) or S VIDEO cable."

Since you are HDMI this doesn't apply.

Thanks man. Appreciate the tips.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #9183 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not to get into a big debate about it but any type of press release marketing is going to sound great but it doesn't always mean much. "Hand selected" could mean they take a part from a box of 100 and it would be hand selected. Further hand testing could simply mean they look at the box to make sure it isn't damaged and the machine testing could be something they do on everything and something simple at that.

I love my Kuro but I take any press release or marketing promise with a grain of salt.

Sorry I have to agree from my personal experience I cant say the signatures operate or break down less as both are great.
post #9184 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
another thing is there are signatures that buzz and elites that don't.

When Pioneer says QC they mean something else than what we all understand. If their extended QC led to a reduction in some of the common concerns in this forum, then Signatures would definitely be worth it, but it didn't. Issues are random and Pioneer doesn't even recognize them as issues and I feel this reduces the value of their extended QC claim drastically.
post #9185 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetruitt View Post

I did download it, but having trouble burning it onto a DVD disk. I have never done that before. What a learning experience! I bought both DVD-R and DVD+R disks today since I did not know which one I needed. I then tried to burn DVD using Windows Media player, but could not get it done. Lack of knowledge on my part. Evangelo wanted only $6.50 (shipping included) to send me the finished project which seemed quite reasonable. Heck, I spent ten bucks on the minimum quantity of blank DVDs today! However, it appears he may not have gotten my request. I know he got my six bucks! I guess we'll see what happens.

Forget trying to use WMP to burn a break-in DVD. Go and get a copy of imgburn and then D/L the ISO version of the disc from Evangelo and unzip it. And then use the write option in imgburn to burn a DVD from the ISO image file you D/L from Evangelo. You can find imgburn for free at their own web site. I'd post the link to their web page, but links to programs or even detailed talk about programs that can also dupe DVD's, are pretty much against the forum rules. So just do a google search for imgburn, you will find it.
post #9186 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

Just picked up a PS3 and would like to know the best way to set this thing with the 151FD.
I see options for RGB Full Range, Super-White, and Cross Color Reduction Filter. Anyone know what these should be set at. I have it all hooked up through HDMI by the way.

disregard cross-colour reduction. set rgb to limited/ super white on.
post #9187 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Output-YCbCr
RGB-Limited
Super White-On

Don't worry about Cross Color Reduction. The Cross Color Filter is for analog. Per the PS3 manual "Reduce color noise when the system is connected using an AV cable (composite) or S VIDEO cable."

Since you are HDMI this doesn't apply.

+1

i need to finish reading the recent posts before i reply
post #9188 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Signature monitors are built to a tighter tolerance than your average standard Elite TV (an exceptionally good one probably sneaks through on occasion). " "Hand-selected" components" are not a myth.

Read the press releases from Pioneer:

It's okay, xortam. Really. You are a fine human being with exquisite taste in electronics. I bow to you.

Merry Christmas!
post #9189 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

Thanks man. Appreciate the tips.

Don't listen to that guy, RGB should be full, so your games look as they should with proper colour saturation, as for movies you should use automatic under video mode, that way you never have to worry about setting ybpr(or what ever it is) or RGB. RGB full will usually only affect your games as most movies don't use it.

This is the reason many people think Xbox360 graphics look superior due to the fact that people have RGB set to limited instead of full while playing their games.
post #9190 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

ddgtr thank you! Its BuyBestPlasma have to be right since BestBuyPlasma went out of business so we have to be clear
JimP they are working on getting them up still phone # you can find on our websites 888 897 9877.

I corrected my post...

I am so so sorry Roman, people make this mistake a lot and every time I read it I'm thinking "man, why can't they get it right, Roman has to correct it every single time..."

Here I am now in the same position, and embarrassed for my dumb mistake...

I promise I'll get it right from now on!!

Saw the "kill your television" sticker on a car the other day, I thought HELL NO!! The poor souls would "goo gone" that in a heartbeat if they saw the opening scene of the "Dark Knight" on a kuro...

Merry Christmas everyone and enjoy the kuros!!
post #9191 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Cleaning the screen, say , not that mine needs this now but I was wondering,
what if I splash some soup and it dries. How do I clean the screen without damaging it?
Though if somebody besides me did this then they would be buying it.

Again, how does one clean the screen of something that requires moisture to remove without scuffing up the screen?

from the manual:

Quote:

Before cleaning your flat panel TV, unplug the power cord from the outlet.
When cleaning the screen or the glossy front bezel, gently wipe with a clean, dry cloth such as the supplied
cleaning cloth or a similar type of soft cloth (e.g., cotton, flannel, etc.). Avoid a wet or damp cloth as that can let
moisture seep into the panel. A dusty or rough-textured cloth (or if you rub too hard) can scratch surfaces.
Note: Do not use liquid cleaners or aerosol cleaners on the screen.
The chassis or cabinet of the panel is mostly composed of plastic. Do not use chemicals such as benzene or paint
thinner
]<(ummm duh!!! lol! )to clean the cabinet. These chemicals can mar the finish or cause other deterioration. When cleaning the
cabinet, use the same type of cloth and method as described for the front bezel.

post #9192 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrit View Post

Don't listen to that guy, RGB should be full, so your games look as they should with proper colour saturation, as for movies you should use automatic under video mode, that way you never have to worry about setting ybpr(or what ever it is) or RGB. RGB full will usually only affect your games as most movies don't use it.

This is the reason many people think Xbox360 graphics look superior due to the fact that people have RGB set to limited instead of full while playing their games.

Not to derail this thread but I recommend you go to the PS3 or blu-ray forums as this issue has been beat to death over the last year and I have followed it since the beginning. The bottom line is RGB "full" on the PS3 only stretches the standard range. It really isn't "full" Even if you have a tv with "full" range and set PS3 to full you gain nothing. These are not PC monitors. You could set the PS3 to full and calibrate your tv but all you would be doing is undoing the stretching of the full setting.

Here is an excellent write up by another forum member that makes the most sense.

"YCbCr output with SuperWhite OFF clips Blacker than Black and Peak White data.

YCbCr output with SuperWhite ON passes Blacker than Black and Peak White data.

In either case, Black=16 and Reference White=235.

Blacker than Black data, when passed, is in the luminance (Y component) range 1-15. Peak White data, when passed, is in the range 236-254. The values 0 and 255 are reserved.

The SuperWhite setting only has effect when output is currently in the YCbCr format.

-------------------------------------------------

Neither RGB Limited nor RGB Full pass either Blacker than Black or Peak White data.

RGB Full is what most everyone else calls "Extended RGB" -- intended primarily for when computers connect to monitors. It defines Black=0 and Reference White=255. Since there are no values below 0 or above 255 there is no place to include Blacker than Black or Peak White data.

RGB Limited is what everyone else calls "Studio RGB" -- intended for home theater video content. It defines Black=16 and Reference White=235. The range from 1-15 is supposed to hold the Blacker than Black content and the range from 236-254 is supposed to hold the Peak White content. The values 0 and 255 are reserved. However, due to a long standing bug in the PS3, the PS3 clips both Blacker than Black and Peak White content when using RGB Limted output.

Again, there is NO WAY to make the PS3 output either Blacker than Black or Peak White content when using RGB output. It SHOULD be there in RGB Limited output, but it is not due to a bug.

The RGB Limited/Full setting only has effect when output is currently in the RGB format.

The recommended output settings for the PS3 are:

Format = Automatic
SuperWhite = ON
RGB = Limited

If your display or AVR supports YCbCr input, this will get you YCbCr input with SuperWhite ON for movies and RGB Limted for games.
--Bob

So once again changing it to full does nothing except stretch the standard mode.
post #9193 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

I corrected my post...

I am so so sorry Roman, people make this mistake a lot and every time I read it I'm thinking "man, why can't they get it right, Roman has to correct it every single time..."

Here I am now in the same position, and embarrassed for my dumb mistake...

I promise I'll get it right from now on!!

Saw the "kill your television" sticker on a car the other day, I thought HELL NO!! The poor souls would "goo gone" that in a heartbeat if they saw the opening scene of the "Dark Knight" on a kuro...

Merry Christmas everyone and enjoy the kuros!!

Oh no Worries!!! Happy holidays!
post #9194 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Cleaning the screen, say , not that mine needs this now but I was wondering,
what if I splash some soup and it dries. How do I clean the screen without damaging it?
Though if somebody besides me did this then they would be buying it.

Again, how does one clean the screen of something that requires moisture to remove without scuffing up the screen?

from the manual:

Just use the dry cloth provided only. If you have to put some distilled water on the cloth but that is it.
post #9195 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

.....but I was wondering,
what if I splash some soup and it dries.

Don't do that.

"Splashing of soap" should never occur in the same room as "watching of Kuro."
post #9196 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetruitt View Post

I did download it, but having trouble burning it onto a DVD disk. I have never done that before. What a learning experience! I bought both DVD-R and DVD+R disks today since I did not know which one I needed. I then tried to burn DVD using Windows Media player, but could not get it done. Lack of knowledge on my part. Evangelo wanted only $6.50 (shipping included) to send me the finished project which seemed quite reasonable. Heck, I spent ten bucks on the minimum quantity of blank DVDs today! However, it appears he may not have gotten my request. I know he got my six bucks! I guess we'll see what happens.

I am waiting on mine as well. He got my money and a small donation, and he confirmed it, and it should have been here monday, but no cigar. He did get back to me about it though and it should be here. I am in the same boat. Breaking it in the old fashioned way- with blu rays!
post #9197 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 09:33 PM

Merry christmas elite owners!!!!
post #9198 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Hellboy II with good sound on the 151 was nice tonight. the movie kind of lost steam somewhere in the middle.. we don't need no story line.. let the action roll.

I do have a question that is BD 051 player related but I had these small speaker icons on the upper middle right of the tv the whole movie and couldn't turn them off.

My BD player also seems to freeze up when I pause the movie. just locks up on the universal icon?? both times I had to start the movie at the beginning.??
post #9199 of 30501 Old 12-24-2008, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

It's okay, xortam. ...

I thought that perhaps you were misinformed about the Signature QC process and I wanted you and the forum to see the information straight from Pioneer. You can argue the value of these extra QC steps (which include testing after break-in) but readers should know the facts.

Oh, and love the patronizing comments.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #9200 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 12:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

I thought that perhaps you were misinformed about the Signature QC process and I wanted you and the forum to see the information straight from Pioneer. You can argue the value of these extra QC steps (which include testing after break-in) but readers should know the facts.

The promotional (sell to custom installers) material that you have posted has been available since the Signature models where announced. It doesn't constitute documentation of any QC process that Pioneer has carried out. There isn't any information available that would distinguish the Signature line reliability or performance from the Elite line.

Take your pick. They're both outstanding, and produce PQ that has been reported to be indistinguishable without instermentation.
post #9201 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 01:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post

I do have a question that is BD 051 player related but I had these small speaker icons on the upper middle right of the tv the whole movie and couldn't turn them off.

It's a simple setting change. Just go to the owner's thread for the 051 and look around. It's been posted many times.

If my memory was better I'd tell you, but ...
post #9202 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colgra01 View Post

Merry christmas elite owners!!!!

Ditto!!!!

note:
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas!

post #9203 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Hey Everyone!

I have signed up to have Michael Chen calibrate my Signature Elite when he's doing his winter tour in the GTA. There is still an opportunity to have yours calibrated by Michael if you send him an email (furrypig01@yahoo.com) requesting his service. He will be finalizing the list and creating a schedule sometime in January. Clients will be notified once the list is finalized.

He did mention that his calibration sessions typically run 4 to 5 hours during which time he shows you to how to calibrate your plasma. At the end of your Calibration 101 session you will end up with a perfectly calibrated TV. Michael did mention that the clients are NOT permitted to opt out of the education portion of the process.

Don't miss this opportunity to have your TV calibrated by one of the finest calibrators in North America.

Cheers!
post #9204 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Location: Calumet, Michigan, in the U.P.'s Keweenaw Peninsula
Happy Holidays, everyone;
I've just noticed something unusual on my 151; started yesterday, I think. Whenever I power it up, and also when I switch channels, I briefly see gray pillar boxes with a black 4:3 area in the center. Then, the picture appears, and whether it's SD or HD, it's fine. This is very minor, but it never happened before, and I'm just wondering what might be causing it.

I have a DirecTV HR-20, which recently had a software update, but I've checked all the settings there, and everything is the same.

I normally have auto size turned off on the Kuro; I watch 4:3 material with black side bars, set that way on the HR-20. That still works fine; it's just for a second or two on power up or a channel change that the gray bars are visible now.

When I switch to Blu-Ray, the same thing happens, briefly, then the disc spins up and everything is fine. Like I said, it's a minor annoyance, but I'd like to find out what I may have inadvertently changed, so I can change it back.

I used to just see a nice black screen when channel changing, or switching from TV to Blu Ray. I guess it must be the Kuro that's doing this, since it happens with the HR-20 and my Blu Ray player (Denon 3800) as well. I run everything through a Denon 3808ci. Any ideas?

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
My Setup
post #9205 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

It's a simple setting change. Just go to the owner's thread for the 051 look around. It's been posted many times.

If my memory was better I'd tell you, but ...

51/05 owners thread, page 1, post#7.

post #9206 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sure this was answered previously, but no matter the settings I use to disable side mask detection, et al. I still have gray pillar bars on the sides of 4:3 DVD material.

How do I make it black? Thanks.
post #9207 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 AM

James W. Johnson man I thought I had allot of snow down here I guess up north is worse
Happy holidays everyone and thank you for the support!
post #9208 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 419
post #9209 of 30501 Old 12-25-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13