The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 368 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11011 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocarestoyo View Post

got my 111FD little less than 3 weeks ago and was running new break-in images from http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/. I notice a greenish pixel in bright blue backgrounds..seems like a stuck pixel however i ran jscreenfix and udpixel for at least 15-20 hours over last 2 weeks with no avail.

when I run Evengelo's break-in images I don't see this however I notice this pixel on following colors when running new break-in images from http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/...

0066FF
0033FF
3333FF
6666FF
9999FF
CCCCFF

I don't see this pixel when I have pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green and pure blue solid images and wondering if it is really a pixel problem since I don't notice on black/white or true RGB colors?

Specifically I see this pixel in the beginning of Disney Pixar movie's - blue Disney Pixar image.

Pictures attached....

Quote:
Originally Posted by apark5 View Post

i am no expert on pixels but your issue doesn't look like a pixel because that greenish flash doesn't cover the whole pixel and from what i can tell based on your pictures it is not perfect square pixel. Is it small crack or something? did you inspect it properly

As I mentioned I only see this issue on bright blue backgrounds basically 0066ff through ccccff so it is not a crack but I agree, it is not pixel perfect square.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:

As I mentioned I only see this issue on bright blue backgrounds basically 0066ff through ccccff so it is not a crack but I agree, it is not pixel perfect square.

Is it possible it's not a perfect square because the Orbiter mode is possibly engaged??
Just wondering..
Sonny
post #11013 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydigs View Post

Is it possible it's not a perfect square because the Orbiter mode is possibly engaged??
Just wondering..
Sonny

Sonny: that's a good catch. i will disable the orbiter and take a look at one more time but based on your experience what do you think, is it stuck pixel or dead pixel or something else altogether? I did some more reading today and don't think it is dead pixel because dead pixel would be visible in any color or shade correct?
post #11014 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Sonny: that's a good catch. i will disable the orbiter and take a look at one more time but based on your experience what do you think, is it stuck pixel or dead pixel or something else altogether? I did some more reading today and don't think it is dead pixel because dead pixel would be visible in any color or shade correct?

I think the one thing that can be ruled out is dead pixel. That would show up as a permanently black dot. There is apparently such a thing as a stuck "sub-pixel." I think that might be what you've got.
post #11015 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkusaf1 View Post

yea...it takes awhile. Don't know why...but it does. Took a long time for my computer to scan for digital channels...and my Samsung LCD. Nature of the beast I guess...do not know the technical reason.

jj,

So after it scans the channels can you flip through them without additional delays? Does it keep a pretty good lock on them assuming of course the antenna is adequate? I'm asking because I am planning to get an ota antenna and want to know if it's worth going through all the installation trouble...

Thanks
post #11016 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I'll leave that to one of these experts on here.. Guessing, for what it's worth I would say stuck, if that's possible..
Sonny
post #11017 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I think the one thing that can be ruled out is dead pixel. That would show up as a permanently black dot. There is apparently such a thing as a stuck "sub-pixel." I think that might be what you've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydigs View Post

Sorry, I'll leave that to one of these experts on here.. Guessing, for what it's worth I would say stuck, if that's possible..
Sonny

progprog: If it is a stuck pixel, software based utilities should be able to fix it?
post #11018 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

jj,

So after it scans the channels can you flip through them without additional delays? Does it keep a pretty good lock on them assuming of course the antenna is adequate? I'm asking because I am planning to get an ota antenna and want to know if it's worth going through all the installation trouble...

Thanks

oh...I don't know about over the air HD. I had mine scan for HD channels through regular cable (QAM) for instances like HD PIP (I could use the cable box and Kuro's HD tuner with PIP). I imagine that once your TV stores the channels it would be just as easy as flipping through them. As far as reception...I don't know.
post #11019 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The tuner will always be slow to flip through channels, ota and cable. If you use a cable box, the tuner on the box will be fast/normal as you know it.
post #11020 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 PM

I got a few ?'s maybe someone can help out with.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/eph.../PRO-111FD.pdf

At that link on the bottom it saids as an optional service through an Elite dealer ( for free) you can have a trained ISF professional calibrate the plasma using the built in ISFccc feature.

Whats the catch on this how does that work.

Also since you get a 2yr warranty from Pioneer do you think its worth getting a EW on this Plasma. I no most people upgrade around 2-3yrs I plan on keeping this for a main TV for a good 3 years so not sure if it be worth it to buying a EW for only one more year over the factory. Unless I go with one of those 5yr if they even have them didn't look into that yet.

This might of been all talked about but 350+ pages would be alot to look through. Thanks
post #11021 of 30623 Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCarpenter84 View Post

I got a few ?'s maybe someone can help out with.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/eph.../PRO-111FD.pdf

At that link on the bottom it saids as an optional service through an Elite dealer ( for free) you can have a trained ISF professional calibrate the plasma using the built in ISFccc feature.

Also since you get a 2yr warranty from Pioneer do you think its worth getting a EW on this Plasma. I no most people upgrade around 2-3yrs I plan on keeping this for a main TV for a good 3 years so not sure if it be worth it to buying a EW for only one more year over the factory. Unless I go with one of those 5yr if they even have them didn't look into that yet.

This might of been all talked about but 350+ pages would be alot to look through. Thanks

Good find. I see that on my 151FD brochure also. I should call Pioneer on this.

Consumer Report at one time mentioned, NO on the EW. But from my personal experience with a prior Elite, it's definitely worth it - for me.
post #11022 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

a_ok and jj, thanks!!!
post #11023 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCarpenter84 View Post

Look closer...it says "for a fee." There's your catch! Nothing's free.... Any ISF calibrator can do this for you...for a fee.

Quote:

It has been discussed many times here. Keep in mind that if you bought with a credit card, you probably got another year of coverage. So you'd already have three years.....that's good enough for me. In my experience, most things that go wrong with electronics do so fairly early on.
post #11024 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Does anyone know if the stand that comes with the 5020 is capable of mounting to the PRO-111FD? I've got a large center channel that sits in front of the television, and the 5020's extra clearance courtesy of its stand would be helpful. Thanks.
post #11025 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 AM

have had my 151 for about 2 months and ran break in disc for about 150 hours,set it up with breakin settings and dont like them at all,seems like these settings leach all the vibrancy from the picture,you may think i am nuts but i like the way the tv looks right out of the box,have it on performance with no tweaks at all,am i crazy,can anyone recomend any tweaks
post #11026 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander123 View Post

have had my 151 for about 2 months and ran break in disc for about 150 hours,set it up with breakin settings and dont like them at all,seems like these settings leach all the vibrancy from the picture,you may think i am nuts but i like the way the tv looks right out of the box,have it on performance with no tweaks at all,am i crazy,can anyone recomend any tweaks

Whatever looks good to your eyes is what matters.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #11027 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:

got my 111FD little less than 3 weeks ago and was running new break-in images from http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/. I notice a greenish pixel in bright blue backgrounds..seems like a stuck pixel however i ran jscreenfix and udpixel for at least 15-20 hours over last 2 weeks with no avail.

when I run Evengelo's break-in images I don't see this however I notice this pixel on following colors when running new break-in images from http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/...

0066FF
0033FF
3333FF
6666FF
9999FF
CCCCFF

I don't see this pixel when I have pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green and pure blue solid images and wondering if it is really a pixel problem since I don't notice on black/white or true RGB colors?

Specifically I see this pixel in the beginning of Disney Pixar movie's - blue Disney Pixar image.

Pictures attached....

Quote:

progprog: If it is a stuck pixel, software based utilities should be able to fix it?

I don't think every stuck pixel can be fixed via utilities and i was even told that pixel might get fixed by itself over time - who knows. I tried everything possible for past 3 weeks also but no luck.
post #11028 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Since there is only the pure mode listed for the D-Nice's set tings (non control cal), is there any way to use what the 111 settings are for the 151-can one use DVE to get rid of the "green" for the perofrmance mode etc?

Joel
post #11029 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

In my experience, most things that go wrong with electronics do so fairly early on.

That is true, that is why I believe the generous 2 year warranty Pioneer includes is more than enough.

Though, out of curiosity id like to know if anyone has had success with Pioneer over stuck/dead pixels ?
(no question this has been discussed in this thread, ive had plans to read this entire thread someday but I have not gotten around to it just yet.)
post #11030 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Whatever looks good to your eyes is what matters.

I agree 100%.

Myself, when I first used D-Nice's Pure mode settings I was not that impressed. I used his settings for the first time about 2 weeks after I got my Kuro and after doing around 100 hours or so of the break-in images. Now I have had my Kuro almost exactly 6 weeks and I have had time to get used to the Kuro and I have also learned to appreciate D-Nice's settings. If I want some torch (sports . blu-rays etc) I use Optimum with the color and light sensors on.

Though I have scheduled a calibration from a very experienced ISF certified calibrator he will be over next month. He is bringing more than $35K worth of equipment to do the job and he says it can take as long as 5 hours!
post #11031 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

That is true, that is why I believe the generous 2 year warranty Pioneer includes is more than enough.

Though, out of curiosity id like to know if anyone has had success with Pioneer over stuck/dead pixels ?
(no question this has been discussed in this thread, ive had plans to read this entire thread someday but I have not gotten around to it just yet.)

James: I placed a call to Pioneer for my 3 week old 151 with a stuck pixel, they sent a local contract tech to my house on Friday. He came with signal generator which only generated Black, White and True RGB but my stuck pixel is not visible in those colors just like other thread member "whocarestoyo" mentioned yesterday on Page # 370. I showed him my sources with stuck pixel. Tech took pictures and he was also tapping a screen around pixel area. He said Pioneer will get back to me in couple days, he said it is "missing CELL" - assuming he meant pixel (picture cell), and you would have stuck or dead pixel but missing pixel??? so i paid over 5k and didn't get all the picture cells i was supposed to receive in the package . anyway he said this is within tolerance level. So I guess they're not doing anything with my set.
post #11032 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.... anyway he said this is within tolerance level. So I guess they're not doing anything with my set.

Yeah, it's within tolerance level as long as it's in someone else's house and not theirs. I'd like to see one of those hot shots live with dead pixels, yeah right!!!

On a different subject, I just connected my pc to the 151 with a dvi-i to hdmi cable. Image is breathtaking, especially all my digital photos look amazing.

A few questions for the people who have already connected their PCs to the kuro:

My video card allows only 1600x1200. The pic on the kuro looks ok on the 4:3 except for the image is cutoff at the top, bottom and sides enough to hide important info on the screen. The only thing that will fix this is dot by dot mode. However, this mode will stretch the image. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #11033 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it's within tolerance level as long as it's in someone else's house and not theirs. I'd like to see one of those hot shots live with dead pixels, yeah right!!!

On a different subject, I just connected my pc to the 151 with a dvi-i to hdmi cable. Image is breathtaking, especially all my digital photos look amazing.

A few questions for the people who have already connected their PCs to the kuro:

My video card allows only 1600x1200. The pic on the kuro looks ok on the 4:3 except for the image is cutoff at the top, bottom and sides enough to hide important info on the screen. The only thing that will fix this is dot by dot mode. However, this mode will stretch the image. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ddgtr: I agree with you. WHY SHOULD I SETTLE WITH A STUCK OR DEAD PIXEL WHEN I PAID PREMIUM FOR ELITE? If I really want to settle with or looking for something WITHIN TOLERANCE LEVEL then I should have bought Vizio. I tried to explain that to my dealer Robert @ Value Electronics, no avail until Pioneer actually does something. Still disappointed with a purchase of 151 with stuck pixel, its keeping me away from enjoying my Elite KURO.
post #11034 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so i paid over 5k and didn't get all the picture cells i was supposed to receive in the package . anyway he said this is within tolerance level. So I guess they're not doing anything with my set.

Apark5, just try and forget about it. Mine could well have a stuck or dead pixel or 2 but I do not look for them because I do not want to know. Ive made an effort not to look for them since day 1 with my Kuro.

In my opinion the 151 is underpriced. The 111 was about right but with the current price drop it is about underpriced as well.

After spending 6 weeks with my Kuro id have paid $9,000 for it. It simply is an incredible TV, the only thing that could cause me to upgrade ever again is if Pioneer put out a 70" model. It is a perfect TV, it really is that simple.
post #11035 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
wow..I'm moving in with you

right now the 5010 is perfect for my apt..so the 111 fd will just as good.. a much better tv of course..but if you have that much room..well then God bless you buddy
post #11036 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL, James, any chance you can adopt a few of us??
post #11037 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

I agree 100%.

Myself, when I first used D-Nice's Pure mode settings I was not that impressed. I used his settings for the first time about 2 weeks after I got my Kuro and after doing around 100 hours or so of the break-in images. Now I have had my Kuro almost exactly 6 weeks and I have had time to get used to the Kuro and I have also learned to appreciate D-Nice's settings. If I want some torch (sports . blu-rays etc) I use Optimum with the color and light sensors on.

Though I have scheduled a calibration from a very experienced ISF certified calibrator he will be over next month. He is bringing more than $35K worth of equipment to do the job and he says it can take as long as 5 hours!

James, I found that my EW paid off on my Mits 62725, It played nice for 3 years and then last year the light engine went south (which they replaced) and then this Dec the FM board went out and they just said that's it and sent me check for $ 1800 which I used to help offset the price of my Pro 151 .

If memory serve me right you hail from my old stomping grounds near Bellingham no? Is the calibrater a local guy? I would like to have my 151 ISF'd this spring and if he is local might be a good choice. I had a guy from Issaquah calibrate my Mits in 05, I don't know if he uses ControlCal?..... Which I do have and will be inputting D-nice's settings in next week when I get off this bloody on call status at work. If your not from Bellingham sorry....but! you should be it's a beautiful area!
post #11038 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post

James, I found that my EW paid off on my Mits 62725, It played nice for 3 years and then last year the light engine went south (which they replaced) and then this Dec the FM board went out and they just said that's it and sent me check for $ 1800 which I used to help offset the price of my Pro 151 .

I didn't buy an extended warranty for our Theta Casa Nova, and never even registered it, but when it went belly up I called them and they asked me to send it in and they went completely through it, upgraded a bunch of stuff, fixed everything, and sent it back better than new.

*That* is what customer service used to be about.
post #11039 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post

If memory serve me right you hail from my old stomping grounds near Bellingham no? Is the calibrater a local guy? I would like to have my 151 ISF'd this spring and if he is local might be a good choice. I had a guy from Issaquah calibrate my Mits in 05, I don't know if he uses ControlCal?..... Which I do have and will be inputting D-nice's settings in next week when I get off this bloody on call status at work. If your not from Bellingham sorry....but! you should be it's a beautiful area!

Hmmm... first off, how do you know me? Yes I did live in Bellingham, though I bought a house in Birch Bay , so I am now in Blaine.

The calibrator is this guy.....David Evans , his website ... www.21stcc-isf.com

He has 1 post in this thread , he does not post here because he is pretty busy.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14741395

He is in Oregon but covers WA, he waits until he can get several to do up here then he comes up for a few days and stays at motels.
He has done a good number of Kuros , he is ISF certified and more, he is basically the only one of his caliber in the northwest.
Up to 5 hours!! That is some hardcore tweaking!

He is coming up in late Feb, so contact him ASAP if your interested. Though I am not sure how many he already has. Tell him James Johnson sent ya.
post #11040 of 30623 Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

I didn't buy an extended warranty for our Theta Casa Nova, and never even registered it, but when it went belly up I called them and they asked me to send it in and they went completely through it, upgraded a bunch of stuff, fixed everything, and sent it back better than new.

*That* is what customer service used to be about.

For what they cost, you deserve to be treated like that.

I like Bryston amps with their 20-year warranty.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page