The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ99999 View Post

Thanks rlarsen

I will take a closer look for the blotching tonight, though since I haven't noticed it during regular programming, I probably shouldn't. The buzzing has been pretty quiet so far on mine, only audible within the first few feet of the display (I hope that it doesn't get any worse) but when I am that close I can definitely tell by the volume of the buzz when the all white slide is showing.

Good luck with yours.

The buzzing is so bizarre on mine, it seems like it emanates loudly only in a column coming straight out of the dead center of the screen. If I'm off-axis at all, I would say it attenuates as much as 75%. Unfortunately I've set up the theater to put my head directly in that column. >.<<br />
Slouching in my seat makes it much less noticeable, but it's kind of ridiculous as a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFletcher View Post

It's very, very warm. Like a radiator, actually.

My window air conditioner is really struggling to keep the room cool.

This is my first plasma (coming from LCD and DLP) so I don't have anything to compare it to, but mine is wall mounted and wow, it seems like it puts out a lot of heat straight out from the panel (feels like a heat lamp sometimes).
post #1083 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...27097&page=220
LTCJack just had his go away, keep running animated DVD's

Thanks Roman! this really gives me some hope and Im going to play Disney's Cars for a while on my set and see if that helps.
post #1084 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

And yes, Rick, that acrylic bezel draws dust like an electronic air cleaner! It accumulates in little vertical stripes on mine...

hardwood floors and a dustmop do wonders. mine had a little dust from day one, after about a week i haven't had to dust the bezel or screen for about 3 weeks. my parents' Panny is gray about an hour after dusting it. but they have an old house and carpet.
post #1085 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post

Anybody have any luck getting rid of there stuck pixels? I think there were 2 other people with 111's that had found a stuck pixel in their panel. Unfortunatley I just had one pop up after having the set for 4 days.

I thought if you were to have a stuck pixel you would see it as soon as you turn the set on. I didnt realize they can still emerge days after breaking in the set such as in my case. Just wondering what worked for someone else and if anyone just had one go away over time.

It's still there . . . still working on it . . .
post #1086 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 03:52 PM

Just got delivered on my 151 yesterday. I live in the Sacramento area and purchased from Magnolia. Seems I'm the first to take delivery from that store. They got ten and at this point, the store manager said the first 39th are prepurchased.
Looks great so far with the breakin DVD. With these untrained eyes, I see no stuck or dead pixels and hopefully I won't develope any. I also hear no buzz! I was so worred about the pixel and buzz issues, but to my pleasure, so far so good. There is a nasty scratch on the bezel near the Elite logo, however I think I can get that out with Novus polishes.
I need help. Could someone please tell me where I can find breakin settings for the 151? Thank you.
Although I seem to be one of many who are posting satisfied with their 151s, I thought it was important to post my satisfaction due to recent discussions about who posts more...the satisfied or the dissatisfied. I also think it helps to relieve the anxiety felt by those who have ordered or are about to order.
post #1087 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25690 View Post

Here are some pics of my setup.

What appears to be scratching or cracking on the glass in the upper right of the Elton John pic is actually a reflection of a branch outside my window.

Sweet set up
post #1088 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm so drooling guys

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #1089 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post

Just got delivered on my 151 yesterday. I live in the Sacramento area and purchased from Magnolia. Seems I'm the first to take delivery from that store. They got ten and at this point, the store manager said the first 39th are prepurchased.
Looks great so far with the breakin DVD. With these untrained eyes, I see no stuck or dead pixels and hopefully I won't develope any. I also hear no buzz! I was so worred about the pixel and buzz issues, but to my pleasure, so far so good. There is a nasty scratch on the bezel near the Elite logo, however I think I can get that out with Novus polishes.
I need help. Could someone please tell me where I can find breakin settings for the 151? Thank you.
Although I seem to be one of many who are posting satisfied with their 151s, I thought it was important to post my satisfaction due to recent discussions about who posts more...the satisfied or the dissatisfied. I also think it helps to relieve the anxiety felt by those who have ordered or are about to order.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1045175
post #1090 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post

Thanks much for your post. I couldn't agree more, and I continue to encourage happy owners to post their experiences. Cleary, many of the units are completely problem-free and many owners are thrilled. Probably the vast majority. The more users of all experiences post here, the more representative the thread becomes, and the more helpful to current and prospective owners. I think it's worth pointing out as well that I have yet to read a single post from an owner who thought the 9G picture was anything less than spectacular.
post #1091 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post

The buzzing is so bizarre on mine, it seems like it emanates loudly only in a column coming straight out of the dead center of the screen. If I'm off-axis at all, I would say it attenuates as much as 75%. Unfortunately I've set up the theater to put my head directly in that column. >.< Slouching in my seat makes it much less noticeable, but it's kind of ridiculous as a solution.

not bizarre at all seems to be pretty much the norm for those with the buzz issue.

yes, it seems to beam direct from the center of the panel, the point where the screen can move the most. yes moving to the right/left/up or down makes a noticable reduction in the ability to hear it.

you can be sitting there in the main front center viewing position and the buzz is a big problem but someone sitting basically a foot or two to your right or left may not be hearing it at all.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #1092 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Well it's certain now, I'll be calling for a replacement set and taking my chances.

I went to Best Buy today and put my ear literally up to the screen and couldn't hear a thing on their floor model (with my other ear plugged, even though it wasn't that loud in the store). I demand the same level of performance for my money.

All this means is that when they replace my buzzer with a buzzer (or the heartbreak, I get a non-buzzer with dead pixels), I'll be getting a refund and be out of a TV for weeks trying to find another one.
post #1093 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

rlarsen, good choice, buying from a store that gives you that option i think its worth at least one shot at a swap out to get a good panel.

post #1094 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it's certain now, I'll be calling for a replacement set and taking my chances.

I went to Best Buy today and put my ear literally up to the screen and couldn't hear a thing on their floor model (with my other ear plugged, even though it wasn't that loud in the store). I demand the same level of performance for my money.

All this means is that when they replace my buzzer with a buzzer (or the heartbreak, I get a non-buzzer with dead pixels), I'll be getting a refund and be out of a TV for weeks trying to find another one.

I think that's a good choice, as your dissatisfaction with the set seems to be growing. If my buzz continues as is after break-in, I suspect I'll do the same. And like you, if I can't get a good one in two tries, I'll likely wait or look elsewhere. (Kind of sucks though that the buyer is coming for my 60" SXRD this weekend...I'd hate to be sans TV)
post #1095 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

rlarsen, good choice, buying from a store that gives you that option i think its worth at least one shot at a swap out to get a good panel.

Excellent point, dssturbo1. There's a lot of B&M-bashing on the forums, but the return options and service really are worth a bit extra sometimes.
post #1096 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Excellent point, dssturbo1. There's a lot of B&M-bashing on the forums, but the return options and service really are worth a bit extra sometimes.

I think there is more bashing with online than B&M, everyone has an opinion. Returns I can understand, but most will agree that service at B&M stores is not even close to some internet dealers.
post #1097 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:

I think that's a good choice, as your dissatisfaction with the set seems to be growing. If my buzz continues as is after break-in, I suspect I'll do the same. And like you, if I can't get a good one in two tries, I'll likely wait or look elsewhere. (Kind of sucks though that the buyer is coming for my 60" SXRD this weekend...I'd hate to be sans TV)

It didn't really hit home until I experienced a completely silent set for myself (because everything else was just anecdotal internet speak, no offense). Now I know for a fact non-buzzers exist in the wild.
post #1098 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ99999 View Post

Barnman,
Sorry if you have already stated this but do the "blotches" move around on the screen or are they fixed on the screen?

I will have to check tonight, but I think I may have seen these while running the break-in disc but I certainly haven't noticed any "blotches" during regular viewing.

The "blotches" stay fixed on the screen. On MOST regular video and movies, I can not see the blotches or dirty screen effect. However if you want to see it on regular video programming, try Discovery HD as they show more landscapes with lots of clear sky.

If you really really want to see it, find out where the effects happen on the screen while running the break-in DVD, and then when you watch something different, look for solid colors show up in the programming, and look towards those areas on the screen.

It shows up even more if there's mostly a solid color while the camera is in a slow pan. This is because the whole image should move within the image, however the blotches or dirty screen effect does not move. It's almost like looking through a dirty car window. When the car is turning, the area outside moves but the bugs and stuff stays the same on the window.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #1099 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

I went through the same thing you did. Its inherit in Plasma design (RGB flashes). I think Pioneer has little bit more of that 'noise' but I think it was a design choice. It gives a filmier look to movies etc. Jumping from a super clean LCD to that was a bit different at first.. now I don't see a difference and I barely pay attention to it.

Granted I don't have a plasma in the room anymore... My sensitivity to it died in about a week.

What is a "RGB flash"?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #1100 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I might have actually been offended if you were disparaging my camera. My photographic skills, on the other hand, are fair game.

I wish that the blotching was my only problem.

I would think it would be better to have one dead pixel than a blotchy screen. I can see a blochy screen effect, but I don't think I would be able to see one dead pixel at 13'.

I know what you mean by it bothering you.

post #1101 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

heck yeah! you spend all that money you want a tv thats worth it!
post #1102 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

I think there is more bashing with online than B&M, everyone has an opinion. Returns I can understand, but most will agree that service at B&M stores is not even close to some internet dealers.

Oh, by all means, Roman. I've dealt with excellent internet dealers in the past, and I'm sure I will again. I just meant to emphasize that it can depend on the product, the customer, and the situation. Neither is best in every possible circumstance, and as a consumer, I for one am grateful that you and your cohorts give us so many options.
post #1103 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM

I just came back from a Tweeter here in Mt. Pleasant, SC where they just put their 111 on display today. They hadn't even calibrated it at all, and the picture was in-freaking-credible. I'm definitely sold on the 9G Kuro!

My trouble is, I could probably afford a 5020 now, but I'll need to wait til October or so before I could shell out for an Elite. I've been reading on the forums a lot lately, so I know most of the functional differences between the 5020 and the Elite, but if I was totally amazed by out-of-the-box color on the Elite, will it really be worth the ~$1500 premium over the 5020? Can anyone who has had an opportunity to see them side-by-side let me know their take? I'm awaiting D-Nice's Elite review with baited breath now, lol.

To be honest the biggest reason I'd go for the 111 right now is so that I could have my local B&M behind me... no one in the Charleston area seems to be carrying 5020 at all.
post #1104 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I would think it would be better to have one dead pixel than a blotchy screen. I can see a blochy screen effect, but I don't think I would be able to see one dead pixel at 13'.

I know what you mean by it bothering you.

Why would you spend $5000 for a TV and be willing to accept problems like this right-out-of-the-box?
post #1105 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloFellow13 View Post

.... will it really be worth the ~$1500 premium over the 5020? Can anyone who has had an opportunity to see them side-by-side let me know their take? I'm awaiting D-Nice's Elite review with baited breath now, lol.....

it's only a $1k difference. your money your choice.

hold that breathe for another 1 1/2 -2 weeks.

post #1106 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

What is a "RGB flash"?

Plasma creates its colors by flashing red, green, and blue differently. I call it RGB flash... its not a correct term... I just think it sounds cool.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #1107 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 PM

2 questions,

1. did everyones elite come with stickers attached? mine for some reason didn't have any stickers on it.

2. When i turn off my video source the screen will turn black of course, and then it will show the display information in. After the display information disappears that screen brightens up a bit.

When it brightens up I can see huge area's of black mostly in the middle right of the screen. If i look closely it appears as if there are black pixels mixed with brighter ones all over the screen. Is this blotching that everyone is talking about? Should I be running the kuro pattern, or will that not help?

if someone could check there elite, just turn off your video source and then hit display and when the information disapears you should be able to see it or not. thanks
post #1108 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 PM

Are the new 9Gs considered 5 lumen tech? If so, are they the only 5 lumen tech plasma out on the market today?

Also, are the Extreme Contrast Concept (ECC) Kuros that they demo'd at CES (available next year?) in January considered 10 Lumen tech?

I've read some great things about 10 lumen tech, so it's great that we only have less than a year to wait. (I hope)

9G KURO equipped.
post #1109 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioBeer View Post

Are the new 9Gs considered 5 lumen tech? If so, are they the only 5 lumen tech plasma out on the market today?

Also, are the Extreme Contrast Concept (ECC) Kuros that they demo'd at CES (available next year?) in January considered 10 Lumen tech?

I've read some great things about 10 lumen tech, so it's great that we only have less than a year to wait. (I hope)

No, 9g is not 5-lumen tech according to D-Nice. Sigh, it looks like the 10-lumen
tech that you guys talk about are plasma's answer to SED when it comes to
the waiting.

I'm so lost in all these new advancements. I mean, I don't understand the
whole economics of the situation (I guess plants have to be built) but I find
it pretty odd how we've seen some nifty concept TVs that haven't quite
made it to production yet. Sharp had an extreme-contrast LCD at the CES
show last year, but no word on it since. I remember a couple of years ago
I thought to myself "man, next year's TVs are going to be perfect". Now I'm
finding myself echoing that every year. What kills me is that Samsung seems
to really be at or near the top of the LCD realm! It's getting to the point where
you wonder what they'll come up with next. I'm still surprised they were the
first to have local-dimming mass produced (even though it didn't quite work out).
post #1110 of 30719 Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli7x7 View Post

2 questions,

1. did everyones elite come with stickers attached? mine for some reason didn't have any stickers on it.

2. When i turn off my video source the screen will turn black of course, and then it will show the display information in. After the display information disappears that screen brightens up a bit.

When it brightens up I can see huge area's of black mostly in the middle right of the screen. If i look closely it appears as if there are black pixels mixed with brighter ones all over the screen. Is this blotching that everyone is talking about? Should I be running the kuro pattern, or will that not help?

if someone could check there elite, just turn off your video source and then hit display and when the information disapears you should be able to see it or not. thanks

1. yes mine had the KURO sticker upper right hand corner

2. When I turn video source off I get display info but do not see it brighten up. after about 5 seconds of no video source it goes pitch black and stays that way until video source is turned back on
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page