151FD Product Brochure

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

The Official 9G Pioneer General Discussion Thread

9G Elite Reviews

D-Nice's Review of the Pro-111FD

Sound and Vision's Review of the Pro-111FD

Ultimate AV's review of the Pro-111FD

CNet's review of the Pro-111FD

It seems I'm the first to get the PRO-151FD in this forum so I figured I'd start the Thread.

First impressions:

Can notice blacker blacks over 5010. It's hard to tell were the bezel ends with the black bars.

Initial start up is set to performance mode.

While in the menu. Very slight buzz when you put your head behind the set. Can't hear it in front at all. Haven't try TV or video yet but I will before I start break-in.

Update regarding buzz:

While running the break-in disc, I do hear a buzz which does change pitch from dark to light screens, light screens higher pitch, but I have to be 2 to 3 feet from the front to hear it and it's the same as my 5010. My DVR box is louder then the buzz.

Not the brightest backlite remote I've seen. It's a little hard to see if the room is very dark.

I like the menus better then the 5010. I didn't care for the windows xp-ish menus in the 5010.

It has a great tool menu that comes up from the bottom during viewing which you can change settings like picture mode and screen size. Here's the post of the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=10

PRO-111FD/151FD Specs:

- High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920 x 1080p)

- 50”/60" Diagonal Class / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio

- 1080 Progressive Image Reproduction with ability to accept 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i / and TRUE 1080p 24fps signals

- New Deeper, Intense Blacks for Unmatched Contrast (5x Previous Generation)

- New Thinner Cosmetic Design with ››Elegant Acrylic Bezel

- New, Improved Optimum Mode. Automatically analyses and adjusts audio and video settings according to specific room light conditions and type of light and color. Program content is also monitored and finely adjusted so movies, sports and news are all faithfully reproduced. Includes OSD with status.

- New External Color Sensor

- Room Light Sensor for automatic picture adjustment adjustment

- PureCinema Smooth Film Motion mode to eliminate motion jutter in 3:2 Pulldown (60Hz) providing natural even playback of content created on film

- 4 Independent HDMI 1.3 inputs with HDMI-CEC control and the ability ››to accept 1080p 24/60Hz signal

- Standard 3:2 (60Hz) and Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown (72Hz) for accurate playback of film content

- Fully integrated ATSC and NTSC Tuner with Clear QAM

- Home Media Gallery – offering a multimedia experience to enjoy movies, music and photos through an existing home network or USB memory device

- ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for both day and nighttime viewing. Includes:

- Independent Gamma Control (R / G / B) for heightened color ––calibration

- V-Chip Parental Control

- Remote Control – Illuminated / Preset Mode / Learning Mode

- New Advanced Redesigned GUI

- A/V Selection Memory – 10 options for viewing preferences: Optimum / Performance / Sports / Movie / PURE / Game / Standard*/ ISF-Day / ISF-Night / ISF-Auto (PC input: only Standard)

- Aspect Ratio Control – 9 positions: Auto* / Full / “Dot by Dot” / Zoom* / Cinema* / 4:3 / Wide* (only for SD) / Wide1* (only for HD) / Wide2* (only for HD) *Except PC signal

- Advanced Picture-in-Picture (4 positions), Picture-side-Picture for use with Home Media Gallery & Broadcast and Still Picture capability

- After-Image Reduction Function

- Orbiter (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Auto Size (Off/ Natural / Wide-Zoom)

- Side Mask Detection (Mode 1 – for black side masks / Mode 2 – for black & illustrated side masks)

- Side Mask Brightness Sync (Fixed / Auto)

- Video Pattern (White Bar)

- Game Control Preference (AV Selection: only Game) (Off / On)

- Fine Tune Setting for ultimate picture control of color temperature, noise reduction and color management

- Intelligent Mode (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Room Light Sensor & New External Color Sensor (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

See less See more
#7,381 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy /forum/post/14987119

FiOS is a fiber optic to the house service sold by Verizon. It supports phone, cable TV and Internet connections. You have to live in an area where Verizon has built out the fiber infrastructure to support it.

Thanks for the info. I need to look into that to see if there even available in my area.

Mike

#7,382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkouri /forum/post/14989443

I have just picked up my 151 a few days ago and am pleased, although I certainly need to tweak the picture.

Before I can get to this, I need to set up My DirecTV remote to turn on and off my 151. I have tried all of the codes in the back of the DirecTV manual without success. Has anyone had success getting the ON/OFF and volume working on the DirecTV IR/RF remote?

I will organize a more customized remote, but this is for the housekeeper to use when babysitting...

Just got the 111 yesterday, and the first code offered up by DTV sdeemed to work. Though frankly the DTV instructions on setting the codes are not particularly clear. Make sure you hold down the two buttons (mute and something else) until you get the 2x flashes and then put in the code and try volume. I may have a newer DTV system than you though, as I just moved in and got it installed. the remotes are all programmed off of on screen instructions.

#7,384 ·
When watching OTA programming, esp. on Fox, I will be able to watch a minute or two before the picture either freezes on the screen will or just go blank! I will still hear the audio but no picture! It will then give me the "Please wait, Television starting up" screen. After the picture does start back up it will repeat this cycle after another minute or two. Anyone else have this issue? Is this normal? Is it because the signal is not strong enough? I figured there was a different "screen" if the signal was not strong???

#7,385 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 /forum/post/14989500

Thanks for the info. I need to look into that to see if there even available in my area.

Mike

Unfortunately, if Verizon isn't the "established" landline phone service in your area, you need not hold your breath for FiOS. I live in a city where Qwest is the carrier within the city limits, while Verizon covers many of the suburbs. Verizon has confirmed to me that they will not be bringing FiOS into the city.

#7,386 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkouri /forum/post/14989443

I have just picked up my 151 a few days ago and am pleased, although I certainly need to tweak the picture.

Before I can get to this, I need to set up My DirecTV remote to turn on and off my 151. I have tried all of the codes in the back of the DirecTV manual without success. Has anyone had success getting the ON/OFF and volume working on the DirecTV IR/RF remote?

I will organize a more customized remote, but this is for the housekeeper to use when babysitting...

First, your housekeeper is your babysitter??
Seriously, if you're going to set up a programmable remote, just go to that step and skip the individual ones. Occasional users (housekeeper, babysitter, gardener, plumber (Joe the?)) will be more likely to muck it up with individual remotes anyway. Which universal remote do you plan to use?

#7,387 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-AV /forum/post/14990041

When watching OTA programming, esp. on Fox, I will be able to watch a minute or two before the picture either freezes on the screen will or just go blank! I will still hear the audio but no picture! It will then give me the "Please wait, Television starting up" screen. After the picture does start back up it will repeat this cycle after another minute or two. Anyone else have this issue? Is this normal? Is it because the signal is not strong enough? I figured there was a different "screen" if the signal was not strong???

I suspect it is a weak signal issue. When the internal tuner loses its signal, perhaps it resets itself (hence the start up message). I can see where that would be really annoying. But do watch for feedback from other OTA users to see if this is expected behavior. I'd want to eliminate the possibility of the tuner being defective.

It would be good to compare how it behaves with a stronger signal. Can you take measures to strengthen the OTA signal with antenna quality & position?

#7,389 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 /forum/post/14989500

Mike

If you have never heard of FIOS, chances are you don't live in an area they service. Their commercials are played incessantly on local TV channels where their service is available. There is no way you would miss it, unless you don't watch TV at all.

#7,390 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFletcher /forum/post/14991285

I've owned my 151HD since July 1. Suddenly, I hear the "buzz" loud and clear.

Yeesh...that's disturbing.
The trend has been that you either have a buzz problem out of the box, or you don't have a buzz problem. Was yours completely quiet before? Have you changed any settings recently, particularly your PowerSave Mode?

#7,391 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-AV /forum/post/14990041

I would think you would get a "weak signal" or "no signal" message. Are you able to check the signal strength meter to see if your signal is low or fluctuating?

#7,392 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog /forum/post/14992719

Yeesh...that's disturbing.
The trend has been that you either have a buzz problem out of the box, or you don't have a buzz problem. Was yours completely quiet before? Have you changed any settings recently, particularly your PowerSave Mode?

I had my 111 for about 3 weeks before I started hearing a buzz...It's not that loud (cannot hear it over normal listening volume) but it's there now and was not there before.

#7,394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-AV /forum/post/14994106

Where can I check the signal strength meter?

Hmm, I'm not sure whether the internal tuner has a strength meter. (I use an external tuner.) Does that cutting-out behavior occur the same way regardless of OTA channel? Intuitively, I'd think it should vary since the different stations you're picking up are bound to have different transmission strengths.

#7,396 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-AV /forum/post/14994106

Where can I check the signal strength meter?

Goto the following menu sequence:

Setup > System Setup > Digital Tuner Setup > Installation

Then you'll see the level and quality meters for the internal Kuro tuner. I'm using cable (clear-QAM) and mine says a level of 67% and 100% quality. The channel numbering scheme is funny in this screen compared to what they usually are.

#7,397 ·
Thanks for helping with that, ick! There aren't that many OTA users around here, so I was hoping one of you would chime in and answer that question for Mac-AV. Do you have any thoughts/insights into the problem he's having with his OTA tuner resetting? Specifically, do you know if that's the behavior to expect when the signal gets too low?

#7,398 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbityGotz /forum/post/14985250

O went from Cablevision to FiOS and the difference is noticeable esp on SD content. HD really pops.

BTW, if you're a NY1 fan, FIOS doesn't offer that service. But PQ wise, I've heard it's very good.

#7,399 ·
I get the "start-up" message when I power up the panel with OTA ant selected on initial power up. With cable input as the source on power up I have no problem, picture comes on immediately. After panel comes up in OTA I have no problems but my antennas are peaked using the internal meter. My bet is it is a signal level issue for Mac-AV.

Must be a firmware issue when I power up and get the start-up message for the ant. input. It is annoying. But the picture OTA is a bit better than Brighthouse compression.

#7,400 ·
Well. Johnny has been Kurofied.... again.

With the price drop of the 111FD I couldn't resist and my wallet is going to kill me. Then again, the image is killing me already. How close to perfect is the 111FD? .... DAMN CLOSE. First impressions.

1) Black level is improved. Even w/o lighting 90 percent of the time I have a hard time seeing the glow. Question, how much does it improve after time? I believe I am looking at around .001 right now. I should expect .0009 or .0008 after the phosphors relax? (Or the blotching takes up the entire screen?
)

2) Low IRE level scenes still go to CRT if you don't mind trails. The CRT still gets darker then any plasma to date... you're still king my little fat display!

3) Out of the box minor color corrections (not completely accurate) says these two are similar beasts in terms of color. Although color rendition seems even, more poppier on the Kuro plasma and more definition. I really missed the ANSI of the Pioneer or plasmas in general. Blacks look extremely black w/ highlights. So you get a saturation level that no display has even thought close about reaching. CRTs black get murky green if you have too much brightness.

Proof is in the pudding! As long as blacks look black everything else just has a punchiness and pureness to it. Red, green, blue, yellow, magenta, hot red... etc. All benefit! It looks amazing! Not even my Sony CRT can perform like this.

So now I have a Kuro sitting right next to a Sony XBR960. Go figure. Besides the CRTs literally unbeatable low IRE performance, this Kuro is besting it w/ ease on 80-90 percent of material. Not bad.

With a little bias lighting, it really does look like images are floating. I still am waiting for ECC. This will tide me over until then. Hopefully, it'll be even cheaper!