The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedOne View Post

My girlfriend thought I was crazy as well when I told her that I needed to break in the 151. I have resolved to use the break in DVD as much as possible, but watching a blu-ray with no bars in between break-in sessions.

Barnman, have you considered a rack?

A rack is a story in itself! First, can I recommend a Blu-ray without bars? Bikini Destinations! Your girlfriend thinks your crazy now? Wait till you tell her it's the only Blu-ray you have that has no bars!
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/biki...lefantasy.html

Seriously, I have thought about getting a rack. Then I did some measurements and discovered I could keep the same cabinetry with the 60" Elite. And it still comes in handy to hide all the DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, VHSs and Laserdiscs and still has room for lots of accessories. Those CWD cabinets were designed for electronics. Another words, nice large vents for heat to escape and lots of room for wires to go in and out. Unfortunately, (as far as I know) they stopped making furniture for home theater equipment. The two cabinets on the outer edges have six drawers each. And the center cabinet that holds the screen (is very strong) and has two doors with shelves with lots of vertical space...good for holding records and Laserdisc. Plus I think it has a grand look to it. Not only that, you would not believe the money dumped into it!

If I were to look at a rack, I was thinking I could do that once I get a screen that's so wide, that I would not be able to put all my electronics around it. I'm sure I'd also have to buy new cabinets for the new look that would hold all the video software.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

Still going.

Looks great!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #93 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

Menu Pics:

Pure mode menus:

Man,
Seeing all those settings sure hurts.
I only have the first two pictures worth of settings on my 6020 and thats it.

wHy So SeRiOus???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 30650 Old 06-15-2008, 11:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Man,
Seeing all those settings sure hurts.
I only have the first two pictures worth of settings on my 6020 and thats it.

+1

I don't know if not having all those xtra settings is a bad thing or a good thing?

They would just drive my OCD nuts!! LOL
post #95 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 AM

How deep are the blacks on the 9gs?... can you still see a faint glow on a full black screen?.. or is it no longer noticable?
post #96 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

A rack is a story in itself! First, can I recommend a Blu-ray without bars? Bikini Destinations! Your girlfriend thinks your crazy now? Wait till you tell her it's the only Blu-ray you have that has no bars!
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/biki...lefantasy.html

Speaking of nice racks...
post #97 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

Actually there are some (including myself) that would argue that it doesnt make a difference. If fact I just used Planet Earth and animated cartoons for awhile during the first couple hundred hours. Now I have almost 800 hrs and everything is fine.

Breakin in dvd's
It could be a trick from the "electrical suppliers" just to get 200hours of juice each time someone buys a new telly

Boogie

Livingroom
JVC DLA-X30@108" 16:9
Denon AVR3805, Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC
JBL Ti6K,Ti1K,XTi20,REL Q150
Bedroom
Pioneer KRP-500M
Denon AVR3802,HTPC
QLN 603,601MK2,Wharfdale DFS
post #98 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

How exactly is the stand different on the 151 from the 6020?

If I am NOT mounting the TV...just putting it on a TV stand, does anyone recommend (or is it even needed?) a way to prevent the TV from tipping forward? Is this even an issue? I do not want to touch the walls as I am in an apartment at the moment, so maybe some kind of clamping of the Elite stand to the TV stand?
post #99 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM

Hello folks . . . just reading the first few pages of posts in this thread since I will be picking up my 111 on Wednesday! I can't wait!

I had a couple of questions. First, what's the best picture out-of-the-box? I remember reading about ColorSpace2 and Pure Mode . . . do you use these together? I didn't read those discussions very closely in the general discussion thread since I was planning to buy the 5020. Ha! Second, I know we're all expecting D-Nice to post reference settings sometime in the future: don't settings vary set-to-set, so would his settings really be the correct settings on everybody's 111 (or 151)?
post #100 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yeah, Pure mode with Color Space 2 would be the best way to go still.

If you have a calibration disc like DVE or AVIA then use those to set the rest of the settings.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #101 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post

If I am NOT mounting the TV...just putting it on a TV stand, does anyone recommend (or is it even needed?) a way to prevent the TV from tipping forward? Is this even an issue? I do not want to touch the walls as I am in an apartment at the moment, so maybe some kind of clamping of the Elite stand to the TV stand?

According to the owner's manual, there are brackets that come with the set and are meant to attach to the Elite's stand and then to be screwed down with wood screws into the surface of the table or equipment stand on which the set is mounted. This strikes me as a very drastic solution and one that I do not want to use on my 151 when I get it since I am also getting a nice new equipment stand to put it on and do not want to drill holes in the stand's surface. It also clearly won't work if one has one of those units with a glass top.

Perhaps someone who has an 8G Elite mounted on a stand can inform both of us how to keep the set from tipping (especially a heavier 60" one) without having to drill holes in our nice equipment stands. I'm assuming, of course, that the 9G stands are essentially the same as the 8G ones.

post #102 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Yog

Pro151 FD is impressive. I like the new menu and also 5x deeper black. i am thinking if my dealer could replace it with Pro150FD. Otherwise, I might wait for 12th or 13th generation.
post #103 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 AM

I got the call this morning. My 151 is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. Purchased from Sound Advice (Tweeter) in South Florida.
post #104 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Perhaps someone who has an 8G Elite mounted on a stand can inform both of us how to keep the set from tipping (especially a heavier 60" one) without having to drill holes in our nice equipment stands. I'm assuming, of course, that the 9G stands are essentially the same as the 8G ones.

I had a 150FD and, believe me, Pioneer's stand is *VERY* Solid. No need to worry at all!! I'm surprised folks are even questioning it. I've
shifted around my TV countless times (to get to the back of it as well as clean my table) and there's no way it'll topple or whatever unless
you do something nuts.
post #105 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 AM

The stand for my 50" elite is solid. No hint of tipping over. I think they include those screw down's and advice for the same reason that the mfg. of draino includes "Harmful if swallowed". May be good for earthquake zones.

MWoody,

Nice . I have not heard from my S.A. dealer on my 151.
post #106 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Thanks Nambit and hamsamish09, that's all the reassurance I needed.

post #107 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

unless you have kids, a big dog or play tackle football in your viewing area you should be just fine with the stand the pro151 elite comes with.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #108 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

unless you have kids, a big dog or play tackle football in your viewing area you should be just fine with the stand the pro151 elite comes with.

Don't forget living in earthquake country...
post #109 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM

Ok, htwaits claims that it is wrong to assume that all factory set panels have the same picture... then wouldn't that invalidate the settings that D-Nice is kind enough to provide? Are D-Nice's settings only good for his panel then?

OR, is it likely that even if all panels are not the same, they are off by such a fine degree that we can all share settings and not run into problems as long as we are willing to accept a small margin of error?
post #110 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Does anyone have an update when we will see the Pro-141FD?
post #111 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo1 View Post

Ok, htwaits claims that it is wrong to assume that all factory set panels have the same picture... then wouldn't that invalidate the settings that D-Nice is kind enough to provide? Are D-Nice's settings only good for his panel then?

OR, is it likely that even if all panels are not the same, they are off by such a fine degree that we can all share settings and not run into problems as long as we are willing to accept a small margin of error?

dnice settings are only recommened not a requirement and he and many others that have tried and use other settings will tell you that you should adjust them as you see fit for your own viewing environment.

but they should get you in the ballpark closer to D65 and from there you adjust it to what you want to see in your dispkay. you may not like it and want something different so you make the choices.

post #112 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfriedman View Post

Does anyone have an update when we will see the Pro-141FD?

still tbd. the Elites have arrived much sooner then expected so that may be a good sign. contact russwong he has a good elite dealer contact and gets pretty good info.

post #113 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 12:52 PM

My understanding of settings is that D-Nice provides a template for you to work from. Viewing environments are all different. Ideally in a totally dark room, his settings should provide you with a great picture, but once you start adding bias lighting and other sources of light, you are going to have to tweak the picture to your preference. That is why ISF calibration exists in the first place. A good calibration should tweak your set to your viewing environment and viewing habits. At least that is how I understand things.
post #114 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

That is why ISF calibration exists in the first place. A good calibration should tweak your set to your viewing environment and viewing habits. At least that is how I understand things.

... and account for individual differences in each display.

At least that is how I understand things.

D-Nice, who is a very skilled amateur, and professional calibrators are all aiming to make a display as accurate in reproducing the original source material as possible.

Sometimes what they write is misunderstood, and miscommunicated. I've been guilty of both.

Calibration Resources:

post #115 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsamish09 View Post

I have not heard from my S.A. dealer on my 151.

Did they originally give you any estimated dates?

post #116 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

... and account for individual differences in each display.

At least that is how I understand things.

D-Nice, who is a very skilled amateur, and professional calibrators are all aiming to make a display as accurate in reproducing the original source material as possible.

Sometimes what they write is misunderstood, and miscommunicated. I've been guilty of both.

There is a slight variance between all panels. However, it is no where near what some make it out to be. You would never be able to visually see this variation as it is so low......test patterns and/or regular content.

post #117 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

I've shifted around my TV countless times (to get to the back of it as well as clean my table) and there's no way it'll topple or whatever unless you do something nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenbuddha View Post

Don't forget living in earthquake country...

That makes two of us from earthquake country. Even the Midwest experienced a 5.2 quake in April. I hope to have solved my problem with a Sanus Wall Mount when both the monitor and the furniture system built around it are in place.
post #118 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post

How exactly is the stand different on the 151 from the 6020?

The stand is solid. Here are a couple of pics.

I don't think you have to have the brackets on the back unless you plan on securing it to the stand you have it on.

post #119 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 02:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

There is a slight variance between all panels. However, it is no where near what some make it out to be. You would never be able to visually see this variation as it is so low......test patterns and/or regular content.

...which is why it is even more amazing that Pioneer and other manufacturers do not have a mode that just does everything right on (and which can be turned off in the showroom)...I hope I am wrong and D-Nice tells us that they did everything right in their 6020 calibration.
post #120 of 30650 Old 06-16-2008, 02:29 PM

asystole13,

The stand looks good and solid. I like the brackets provided in back for extra stability. I'm impressed. That might even work for me. I lived through the Bay Area's 6.9 magnitude 1989 Loma Prieta. Everything that is not tied down ends up on the floor, or in the street. What a mess.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page