The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 418 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12511 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

LOL !!!!

tvshopper , I take it you don't own a Kuro.

Wow, that's what Kuro owners are reduced to doing; fabricating about their kick-a** TVs 'cause all the good things about them have been said so many times. LOL Good Stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Ok, obviously Kuro owners would know that there is not even a .0000000000000000000000000001% chance that I was telling the truth on my post above.
Now for the truth......there is no tv in existance that competes with Pioneer Kuros, PERIOD.

They can't ZOOM......................
post #12513 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalgear30 View Post

I have some relatively minor concerns regarding my Pioneer Pro111FD. The concerns do not involve the TV itself, but rather a few things I am worried about. First let me say that I am (unfortunately) A**l Retentive; which makes my life more complicated than it should be. I ordered my Pioneer Pro111FD from Abt and I went with the free shipping. I expected that the TV would be delivered by two people, but instead was delivered by one person that used a hand truck. Has anyone else received their TV this way? If so are you satisfied with the delivery? Another minor concern is that when I was moving the TV into my room, I dragged it while factory boxed by the handles for about five feet. I noticed afterwards on the end of the box it says not to do that. Would anyone be concerned about that? Does anyone think that could have harmed the TV in any way? Also, I am still in the break-in period, it has just over 167 hours of B-I right now. Should I continue doing more B-I or is 167 enough? And as far as Extended Warranties go, what companies are the best for this TV? I am still within the 30-day return period, (delivered on February 10, 2009) so it is still possible to return/exchange it if I choose. Please help me!!!! Thanks.

How did you get into the menu to tell you how many hours you have watched so far. I could not find how to do that in the regular manual. Can anyone help me with the process to find out how many hours Ive watched so far? Thx
post #12514 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:

tvshopper , I take it you don't own a Kuro.

Not yet. Soon, most likely.
post #12515 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaguy11 View Post

How did you get into the menu to tell you how many hours you have watched so far. I could not find how to do that in the regular manual. Can anyone help me with the process to find out how many hours Ive watched so far? Thx

I am doing break-in only as of now, no regular content whatsoever. I have kept track of the B-I time myself.
post #12516 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalgear30 View Post

I have some relatively minor concerns regarding my Pioneer Pro111FD. The concerns do not involve the TV itself, but rather a few things I am worried about. First let me say that I am (unfortunately) A**l Retentive; which makes my life more complicated than it should be. I ordered my Pioneer Pro111FD from Abt and I went with the free shipping. I expected that the TV would be delivered by two people, but instead was delivered by one person that used a hand truck. Has anyone else received their TV this way? If so are you satisfied with the delivery? Another minor concern is that when I was moving the TV into my room, I dragged it while factory boxed by the handles for about five feet. I noticed afterwards on the end of the box it says not to do that. Would anyone be concerned about that? Does anyone think that could have harmed the TV in any way? Also, I am still in the break-in period, it has just over 167 hours of B-I right now. Should I continue doing more B-I or is 167 enough? And as far as Extended Warranties go, what companies are the best for this TV? I am still within the 30-day return period, (delivered on February 10, 2009) so it is still possible to return/exchange it if I choose. Please help me!!!! Thanks.

!61 hours is fine for break in.

Look over your panel with a flash light. If there are no cracks you are fine. If there are, get the set replaced.

Around the edges you will find some triangular marks that were used to mount the panel into the set-these are not an issue. Also for any smudges you find use the enclosed cloth with no fluid.

Enjoy.

Joel
post #12517 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvshopper View Post

Not yet. Soon, most likely.

Very good then, when you get one you will see how I knew you did not own one, you made it very clear with " What's your point?" LOL!!!
Get one fast before they are gone. The Kuro will not be trumped for a very long time.
Good luck buddy.
post #12518 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777b View Post

If the defective pixels are visible at a normal viewing distance of between 2.5 and 3.5 meters (8.2 and 11.5 feet) while viewing a normal broadcast (i.e. not a test card, still image or single color display) please contact Pioneer (...)

That's Pioneer being utterly fair--if you can see pixel problems from normal viewing distance with realistic content, then it's an actual problem and they'll help you. If you can't, then it should be a non-issue (who sits up close and looks at test patterns instead of watching movies?).
post #12519 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was wondering people's thoughts about this TV when the majority of content that I'm viewing is TV through DirecTV versus Blu Ray, etc. (in fact, I don't even own a Blu Ray yet..have a nice upscaling DVD tho). It seems like a lot of you view a lot of movies. I'm just wondering if this TV is overkill when most of what I watch is broadcast TV and sports.

Sorry for all the stupid questions lately but I'm real close to pulling the trigger and I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Dude, this display kicks a** for sports!
post #12520 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 10:13 AM

sk20,

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.
post #12521 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

and from the front

OMG!! now you are talking!
WOW!

you are one lucky guy
thanks for sharing
post #12522 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

sk20,

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

And the onboard processor is quite good for a flat panel TV; it may help your DVDs out, too.

Additionally, I find the sound from my 111 to be excellent, and readily use it for all TV watching. I usually run DVDs through the stereo but have no problem watching them using the TV's sound either.
post #12523 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I was wondering people's thoughts about this TV when the majority of content that I'm viewing is TV through DirecTV versus Blu Ray, etc. (in fact, I don't even own a Blu Ray yet..have a nice upscaling DVD tho). It seems like a lot of you view a lot of movies. I'm just wondering if this TV is overkill when most of what I watch is broadcast TV and sports.

Sorry for all the stupid questions lately but I'm real close to pulling the trigger and I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

I think the answer is a little nuanced. If you watch primarily SD-TV, you can expect that it won't look all that great on a 151; better, but still not great on a 111. These TVs really expose the weaknesses of poor TV signals. On the other hand, if you watch primarily HD-TV, that looks pretty darn good on the Kuros.

I'm not trying to encourage or discourage you, but in my experience, their performance is very content-dependent. So I think you are asking the right questions.
post #12524 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Harris View Post

Do the 111FD boxes have a tip sensor like the 151s? Receiving it Monday and want to check the sensor, if there is one.

Tip sensors are something the retailer or shipper puts on the box. I haven't seen a 9G Kuro box with one, but you could call your retailer and ask if they use them.
post #12525 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaguy11 View Post

You can't do that without accessing the service menu, and this is not meant to be done by consumers. (So the IR and serial codes that allow access are not readily available.) If you ever decide to get ControlCAL, that allows you to get in and check all that.
post #12526 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

My PRO-151FD came w/ a tip sensor. The seller was adamant that I check the tip sensor, and if it's red, make sure to open box and inspect contents before signing. This seller shipped via FedEx National LTL.

Fortunately, my toy arrived upright, secured on a pallet, and in pristine condition.

-Mark

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
Belleville, MI
post #12527 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar426 View Post

I want to use the PIP (side by side) to show my HDMI source material (DVD/Blu-Ray, HD-DVR run through switch) connected too INPUT 4 on the left side while showing my DENON AVR-3805 menus on the right. My current connection doesn’t work as I have the Composite Video out from the DENON to the Composite Video INPUT 1.

Per ikeb’s quote, can I remove the RCA Adapter on my F-Type RG6 cable that is being used to make the current connection, and screw it into the ANT Terminal and achieve my desired result?

Now that's interesting! I hadn't thought of that. But which RG6 cable are your talking about? A regular video (yellow) out from your receiver? Honestly, I wouldn't expect this work, but I'm very curious to hear how it goes when you try it.
post #12528 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Hi,

Well, after resisting myself for a full 7 days of deliveration with myself I gave in and ordered a 151 yesterday; should be arriving next week.
I do not regret the big bucks, and I hope I will be more than satisfied with the purchase. A little concern I have though is this:

I will be watching from around 11 ft. the 60 should be the right size, shouldn't it? Initially I was going with the 111 thinking it has a slight edge in quality being a smaller screen, but then I remembered how huge my 43 inc display seemed 6 years ago and how it gradually shrinked in size, as now seems too small!!

I did not want that to happen, but I have a slight concern the distance may be slightly close for the set. Any reassuring words? Did I do the right decision?? Got me a little nervous that all the "expert reviews" I found were of the 111 and not the 151, but here in the forums all you 151 owners seem to be satisfied, so I hope to join the club shortly...

Thanks for any comments,

martgonman.
post #12529 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
There are two professional calibration reports for Kuro Elite displays done be Eliab here.

My PRO-111FD Calibration Results - Now with *New* Pic Comparisons
post #12530 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by martgonman View Post

Hi,

Well, after resisting myself for a full 7 days of deliveration with myself I gave in and ordered a 151 yesterday; should be arriving next week.
I do not regret the big bucks, and I hope I will be more than satisfied with the purchase. A little concern I have though is this:

I will be watching from around 11 ft. the 60 should be the right size, shouldn't it? Initially I was going with the 111 thinking it has a slight edge in quality being a smaller screen, but then I remembered how huge my 43 inc display seemed 6 years ago and how it gradually shrinked in size, as now seems too small!!

I did not want that to happen, but I have a slight concern the distance may be slightly close for the set. Any reassuring words? Did I do the right decision?? Got me a little nervous that all the "expert reviews" I found were of the 111 and not the 151, but here in the forums all you 151 owners seem to be satisfied, so I hope to join the club shortly...

Thanks for any comments,

martgonman.

10-12 feet is perfect for 60". HD looks great at that distance. I sit ~ 10.5 feet from screen and it is fine.

Joel
post #12531 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martgonman View Post

Thanks for any comments,

martgonman.

First of all, welcome! You absolutely made the right call, as the 151 will be ideal at that distance. We watch a 151 at about 10-11 feet, and a 111 at
around 6 feet. Neither is too close at all.

You're going to love your new TV!
post #12532 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Now that's interesting! I hadn't thought of that. But which RG6 cable are your talking about? A regular video (yellow) out from your receiver? Honestly, I wouldn't expect this work, but I'm very curious to hear how it goes when you try it.

Yes, its 25 foot RG6 Quad Sheild Coax with RCS Adapters on the F connectors. If I let the PRO-111 search for channels in Analog (if even possible) from the ANT IN with a menu activated in the DENON... one would wonder. Guess I can only try.
post #12533 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Tip sensors are something the retailer or shipper puts on the box. I haven't seen a 9G Kuro box with one, but you could call your retailer and ask if they use them.

Yea I have not seen those for a LONG time.
post #12534 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777b View Post

Something else - my new 111FD right out of the box today, has one dead pixel on red!

Out of curiosity, where is the pixel located? I have one that's "misbehaving" on red ... it will switch off under certain circumstances, and can be switched back on. I wonder if it is really defective, or there's a software glitch. If yours is in the same location as mine, maybe that's evidence of a software glitch that could be patched.
post #12535 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Yog

I hope someone can help me out here with my decision....

Already own 150, thinking to get 151. But bigger the better. Just wanna know how is PRO-FPJ1 pioneer elite project compare to 151 in terms of picture quality. What are other differences. I would love to get a bigger screen but can not compromise on quality. just dont wanna stick with 60".

Is there any better projector than Pioneer Elite PRO-FPJ1 out there in the market ?

I need to make a decision in a few hours.
post #12536 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronraptor View Post

Out of curiosity, where is the pixel located? I have one that's "misbehaving" on red ... it will switch off under certain circumstances, and can be switched back on. I wonder if it is really defective, or there's a software glitch. If yours is in the same location as mine, maybe that's evidence of a software glitch that could be patched.

FOr you I would run as much pixar animated DVD's as possible and it can clear up.
post #12537 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog View Post

I hope someone can help me out here with my decision....

Already own 150, thinking to get 151. But bigger the better. Just wanna know how is PRO-FPJ1 pioneer elite project compare to 151 in terms of picture quality. What are other differences. I would love to get a bigger screen but can not compromise on quality. just dont wanna stick with 60".

Is there any better projector than Pioneer Elite PRO-FPJ1 out there in the market ?

I need to make a decision in a few hours.

Contact UMR about his new JVC projector. He has posted comments about both the JVC and his 151.

UMR's Post
post #12538 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM

I just received my 111FD (Yeah!) and trying to sort out what I need to do for the 150 hour break-in period. I read D-Nice's posts about break-in settings for the 111 using Evangelo's break-in dvd. Here's my question, should I NOT watch any other content during the 1st 150 hrs (can't wait to get the PS3 connected for blu ray disks). If watching blu ray or dtv is okay during the 1st 150 hrs, do I need to change the settings from the ones D-Nice posts for break-in when watching regular content. Thanks for the advice!
post #12539 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 PM

Could somebody please give me the dimension from the bottom most line of pixels to the stand you set your 111 on ? I need it so I can get an appropriate height stand. Thanks, Scotty
post #12540 of 30482 Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM

Oops, didnt see the previous discussion ...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page