The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 438 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13111 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post

The very first screen that came up on mine when powered up for the first time was a selector between RETAIL and HOME. After selecting HOME, the next screen was channel scan.

Hmmmm....I wonder why I didn't get one--first screen was definately the "auto installation" screen (linked image is from asystole13 and can be found in the first post on this thread).

Is there a way to see the retail/home screen and make the proper selection? (I also found no mention of this in the owners manual.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13112 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

I asked about Retail/Home mode because my set seems to be outputting an unusual amount of brightness during the OTB Pure Mode in comparison to what I remember it being. Which is where I thought it could be possible that I'm in Retail mode.

Is there any way of checking and/or changing this just to make sure?

I could have sworn that someone explained it once on here, but I can't seem to find the post.

The explanation, as I recall, is that the sets do have a "home" or "retail" setting, but most of the time it was set to "home" in the factory. This is why most of us never saw that option screen. I believe changing that requires going into the service menu, although I'm not 100% positive on that point. (I think it's via a universal reset.)

If you're really concerned that it's in the wrong mode, I'd call Magnolia and tell them. I bet they'd send somebody around to check it. Alternately, you could contact turbe and ask how to do it with ControlCAL.
post #13113 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
My understanding is that a display that's in "store" mode will revert to the "store" settings after a period of time -- like thirty minutes.

All you have to do is use your desired settings, and watch to see if they get changed automatically. If that does happen, call your dealer or Pioneer for service.
post #13114 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Liked: 10
Is it customary to "tip" the tech who travels to your home for a calibration? If so....how much do you guys tip the technician? I'm getting my 151 calibrated soon and it's the first time I've had a TV fully calibrated in my home.....can't wait!! Also, this is my first Plasma TV. The KURO is replacing a 4 year old Sony KDL60XBR-950 that still looks awesome on HD Sports but has absolutely no black.
post #13115 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I am thinking of getting a 500M or 600M but I need the speakers.
Does anyone have a pair that they are willing to sell?

If so, PM me.

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #13116 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

My understanding is that a display that's in "store" mode will revert to the "store" settings after a period of time -- like thirty minutes.

All you have to do is use your desired settings, and watch to see if they get changed automatically. If that does happen, call your dealer or Pioneer for service.

Hi, htwaits--do you mean that the sliders for contrast and brightness will change or do you mean the greyscale will become different?

(FWIW, with much respect to htwaits, this seems really strange to me--I would have thought that retail mode would have simply have meant that the greyscale would be different and/or it would dial in a particular set of settings in the brightness and contrast--but not permanently. Also, if the changes are permanent, then surely there would be an easy way to switch to home mode so that dealers could sell their floor samples.)

It also seems to suggest that those of us who didn't see the home/retail choice don't have much to worry about.

With respect to what has been posted before: do any calibrators out there, or anyone with Pioneer contacts have first-hand information to clear up this issue?

P.S.: Hmmm...actually this may be another hidden benefit of the 150 hour break-in--if your settings still match D Nice's after the break-in, I guess you're in home mode
post #13117 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtoo View Post

My PRO-151FD arrives tomorrow and I wondered if there was anything I needed to know about unpacking my TV? My stand doesn't come until this week so I'll just be setting it up in the kitchen and running DNice's break in images until the stand arrives and we can assemble it and move the old TV out of the way.

I plan on inspecting the panel with a flashlight to make sure it's not cracked before the delivery guys leave. I looked over the manual and I see that they say to lay the panel on a table to attach the stand. This makes me a little nervous to be honest. Can I attach the stand while it's upright in the packaging? Maybe I'll have a couple of friends just hold it up in the air vertical while I attach the stand. How did other 151 owners attach the stand?

Any advice anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated. I want to take care of my new baby so that I can get many years of enjoyment out of it

Thanks,

Chris
crowtoo@earthlink.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Hi Chris, welcome to the club. Here's my first suggestion...if it's just going to sit awhile running break-in stuff. Leave the panel in the lower part of the box while it does that.

Here's how the box works: open the top and you'll find the smaller box that holds the speakers, stand, etc. Take that out, along with the chunks of styrofoam that stabilize the top part of the panel. Then the main upright part of the box can be lifted up and removed, leaving the panel sitting safely secured by styrofoam in the lower box base. That's where I'd leave it until your AV stand arrives.

Get a friend to help with assembly when the time comes. You don't have to lay the TV on its face, in fact, most of here didn't do it that way. Instead, assemble the stand and sit it on the floor behind the TV. Now you and your friend simply lift the panel (it has handy hand grips on the back) onto the stand! Easy as pie! Oh, be sure to put the screws in.

Good advice progprog. Absolutely no reason to have to lay the panel down to attach the base. The packaging for the Elites is great and the styrofoam base is quite sturdy. My installers did exactly as progprog described. They opened the box, kept the panel upright in the styrofoam, put the base together and then lifted the panel out of the styrofoam and onto the base supports. Worked like a charm and puts no stress on the panel.

Good luck tomorrow crowtoo. It will be a good day for you.
post #13118 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Hi, htwaits--do you mean that the sliders for contrast and brightness will change or do you mean the greyscale will become different?

No, that's not what I meant.

If "store mode" is Dynamic then any time a customer plays with the remote and changes to Movie, for instance, after a period of time the set will revert to Dynamic.

There maybe other items that revert, but I don't claim to know anything about "store mode" in particular, except that it's purpose is to allow customers to "play around", but in the end, keep the display units at the desired "store" settings -- whatever that might be as determined by the factory.

Quote:

It also seems to suggest that those of us who didn't see the home/retail choice don't have much to worry about.

That would be my expectation.

Stores that use "store mode" probably have access to service remotes. In the 8G or earlier models, the regular remotes did the job.
post #13119 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, that's not what I meant.

If "store mode" is Dynamic then any time a customer plays with the remote and changes to Movie, for instance, after a period of time the set will revert to Dynamic.

There maybe other items that revert, but I don't claim to know anything about "store mode" in particular, except that it's purpose is to allow customers to "play around", but in the end, keep the display units at the desired "store" settings -- whatever that might be as determined by the factory.

Stores that use "store mode" probably have access to service remotes. In the 8G or earlier models, the regular remotes did the job.

Ah...thanks for the clarification. My settings didn't revert after 150 hours, so I guess it's all good.

I was kicking this around with geoellis and it dawned on me that whether you see the home/retail screen probably has to do with the firmware version your set comes with out of box.

I have a June 2008 151 that came with a relatively early firmware--no home/retail screen. When I flashed the new firmware, I rebooted the TV per the instructions, and received a message that the software update was successful. It then went to the "auto installation" screen.

Many times flashing to a new firmware in other electronic devices causes a reset to default values. This would suggest that a reflash would bring up the home/retail screen if it were included in that particular firmware. If this is true, perhaps the latest firmware does not include this screen. This is all speculation, of course, as some firmware flashes leave settings alone. (e.g. the Yamaha RX-Z7)

I'd be interested to know what firmware version(s) came with the sets that displayed the home/retail screen and whether or not the home/retail screen appeared again once they were upgraded to the latest firmware. Also, did any of the previous settings of the set change after installing the new firmware?

Here's another question: my set starts up on the "auto installation" screen--I have not scanned any channels yet becuase I have not hooked it up yet. I plan to change channels via the HD DVR unit when it arrives here on Friday. Therefore, when I turn on my television, will I always get the 'auto installation" screen, since I won't be scanning for channels to use it? Or will the television automatically go to any signal being input to it?
post #13120 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

I just watched "Max Payne." Terrible movie, but beautiful blacks all over the place!

Agreed. The contrast on that movie was stunning. The audio was impressive too. However, the movie did suck!! What did Meatloaf say,"Two out of three ain't bad."

Growing Older But Not Up
post #13121 of 30632 Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 PM

HI, Finally had time to hook up my 3 week old 111 tonight. I am using FIOS and notice a lot of noice in the background of lighter scenes. Is this normal? I am using pure mode with the full D-Nice break-in and settings.

Thanks
David
post #13122 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 AM

Greetings folks, I just wanted to chime in here and report I've joined the club. I bought a 151FD today. I'm still trying to settle on furniture for under the set and get my switch to FIOS hi-def TV arranged, so I haven't scheduled delivery of the Kuro yet, I'll probably have it installed by next weekend. My thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me decide which set to buy. I had to get out of bed and write this because I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.
post #13123 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post

Okay, one more time. AVS is NOT the place to post where to buy, etc.., it turns into marketing and pricing. Period. That's just the way it is.

There are not going to be any threads listing vendors and what they sell as that would clearly be marketing on the board whether it's a sponsor or not.

The owners of AVS DO NOT want the AVS membership marketed to in any threads, etc.., No exceptions.

Hope this helps.

thanks to your efforts, when i needed the info i was looking for, i found it here on AVS. Thanks to all the info I found, I purchased my TV feeling a lot better and confident with my purchase. SO PLEASE KEEP IT UP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboye2002 View Post

Is it customary to "tip" the tech who travels to your home for a calibration? If so....how much do you guys tip the technician? I'm getting my 151 calibrated soon and it's the first time I've had a TV fully calibrated in my home.....can't wait!! Also, this is my first Plasma TV. The KURO is replacing a 4 year old Sony KDL60XBR-950 that still looks awesome on HD Sports but has absolutely no black.

we don't even tip the guy who gives us the food in the restaurant or the guy who sits in a cab and takes us from place a to b. you guys tip too much! the tech who calibrates your TV should be happy enough with your big smile and sincere thanks. actually, i am pretty sure he is
good luck with your calibration.
post #13124 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 AM

As has been said so many time before. Incredible. I don't care about all the getting out of business issues now that I have it. Watched Rambo (the new one) and Earth in blue ray as the test cases, and again, Incredible. Love this thing. Just thought I would share.
post #13125 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, I posted this in the settings/issues thread but I figured id go ahead and put it here in the Elite 9g thread as well.
----------------------------------------------

Ok, here is my full report on my calibration, attached are the calibration reports.

There are 3 ....>>>>
'ISF Night' (ISF Night Uncalibrated vs ISF Night Calibrated)
'ISF Day' (ISF Day Uncalibrated vs ISF Day Calibrated)
'User-UnCal ISF Night' (D-Nice's pure settings vs Uncalibrated ISF Night)

Friday, 2/27/09 David Evans and a trainee of his arrived at my house around 2pm to calibrate my PRO-151FD. David is an Assistant ISF Instructor for the Pacific NW area. http://www.tweaktv.com/who-we-are/david-evans-professional-calibrator-tweaktv-blogger.html
He calibrated my PRO-151FD using his Konica Minolta CS-200, Sencore VP403CSH Video Generator and Progressive Labs Calibration Software. Using ControlCal he calibrated both ISF Day, ISF Night and the Pure mode (Pure mode was not with ControlCal). He also calibrated my Panasonic BD-30 which has a set of PQ settings that I have never used , I had it in the default setting of 'normal'. Here are the user settings in my BD-30 (contrast, brightness, color, gamma & 3dnr integrated nr). He also checked my cable box to be sure all the settings in it were optimized for my set-up.
When he was done we watched some of his reference movies to verify his work.

Ok, I though I was fast with my remotes. David knew how to work everything. I had a good time just watching him zoom thru the menus. lol, man he is fast!! But I guess you would be fast after calibrating over 500 displays or I should say systems.
After he left I put on my Iron Man BD, which I have seen 4 or 5 times. Wow, I did not expect to see what I saw after the calibration. But it is what it is.......NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE WOW , WOW , WOW!! The depth , detail and the pictures just pops! Its 3D!!
I was using D-Nice's Pure mode settings and those were way off as you can see in the report , the reason why is because every 151 and 111 are not identical. You could put the same settings on 15 different 151s and get 15 different readings.

here is David busy calibrating.......

The calibration reports.>>>

James Johnson - Pioneer PRO151FD - 2-27-09 (ISF Night).pdf 239.037109375k . file

Jamie Johnson - Pioneer PRO151FD - 2-27-09 (ISF Day).pdf 238.09765625k . file

James Johnson - Pioneer PRO151FD - 2-27-09 (User - UnCal ISF Night).pdf 238.361328125k . file
post #13126 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
James, that's awesome! Thanks for taking the picture with "the Man" in action. I've got to get my set calibrated, y'all have nothing but great things to say!!
post #13127 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:

D-Nice's breakin settings are the first post in this thread.

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

D-Nice hasn't been posting in the owner's thread for some time now.

I think it would be a good idea to avoid some of the material (black bars and fixed images) that you've been watching for a couple hundred hours.

Be sure you understand D-Nice's instructions before you use them. It sounds like you're already a little late to get the full benefit that D-Nice expects.

HTWaits: Thanks for the reply. I have read the post about breakin on page 1but settings seem to vary depending on the BR Player used. I've got a Sony S550 which is not mentioned. I haven't gotten the TV yet so I've still got the full break-in ahead of me.

Also, recently I heard from a calibrator well known on this site. He told me that he's seen more damage done using the break-in DVD than just using regular program content. He said that it's very hard on the screen....like breaking-in a car at full throttle. He told me NOT to use it....just watch TV without logo's or stationary images for the first 100+ hours or so. He was very strong on this point.
post #13128 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

HTWaits: Thanks for the reply. I have read the post about breakin on page 1but settings seem to vary depending on the BR Player used.

There is only one post with break-in settings and they are not dependent on the BR Player used. That is Post #1 in the settings thread.

Quote:
Also, recently I heard from a calibrator well known on this site. He told me that he's seen more damage done using the break-in DVD than just using regular program content. He said that it's very hard on the screen....like breaking-in a car at full throttle. He told me NOT to use it....just watch TV without logo's or stationary images for the first 100+ hours or so. He was very strong on this point.

That's what I did with my display.

My point was that anyone who uses D-Nice's break-in settings should make sure that they understand his instructions.
post #13129 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Why isn't this a sticky any more?

Joel
post #13130 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 AM

Just took delivery of the Kuro PRO-151FD. Am intrigued with the Home Media Gallery (HMG). The Operating Instructions say it can interface with Windows software that is DLNA certified. I no longer use Windows.

Is there a way to get this unit to talk with media on a Mac OS (Leopard)?

John
post #13131 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post

Good advice progprog. Absolutely no reason to have to lay the panel down to attach the base. The packaging for the Elites is great and the styrofoam base is quite sturdy. My installers did exactly as progprog described. They opened the box, kept the panel upright in the styrofoam, put the base together and then lifted the panel out of the styrofoam and onto the base supports. Worked like a charm and puts no stress on the panel.

Good luck tomorrow crowtoo. It will be a good day for you.

I just wanted to say thanks to geoellis, progprog and mvp2005fan for their advice about my new PRO-151FD. I received it this morning a little before 9am. The guys brought it up to our main floor and except from a minor geometry puzzle about how to get the box around the landing at the top of our stairs everything went great. I told the delivery guys that since our AV stand hadn't come yet we were going to just set it up in the kitchen/dining room for now. I told them I wanted to still unpack it and at least check the glass for cracks before they left. We pulled the box top off and I got out my flashlight and went around the panel. The one guy said "if there were any cracks, you'd be able to see them without a flashlight." I told him I was checking for micro cracks around the bezel and he didn't say anything else and just waited for me to finish. Everything checked out great.

Like the advice I got, I left the panel in the lower portion of the box and plugged it in and followed the instructions for the break in settings and started it up. It's happily flashing it's colors in the corner of the dining room.

I admit I was a little apprehensive while I was awaiting delivery but the unit we got has no cracks in the panel, no buzz, no dead/stuck pixels and as best as I can tell no dirty screen effect either. Woohoo! What a relief. By the way my set has a manufacture date of June 2008.

Now it will be a long week until we can get the AV stand assembled and put into place, move the old set to the basement game room, setup the new HD cable box/DVR and the new Blu-ray player. I think we are going to inaugurate the new setup with Wall-E in Blu-ray on Sunday. I can't wait. I'll be sure to post back here once everything is running in full.

I'd also like to give a HUGE thanks to the whole forum!!! I have learned sooo much here and I probably wouldn't have made this purchase without all of your advice/reviews/tips/experiences, etc. My wife and I were ready to buy a HDTV this year and I almost pulled the trigger on a Samsung LN55A950 prior to considering a Pioneer. We ended up getting a larger than expected tax return this year and then with the announcement that Pioneer was getting out of the plasma business I decided it was now or never. And why not get the best and besides this opportunity would probably not be available to us next year.

Now to schedule a calibration so we can get the most out of our investment.

My wife and I thank you all. Life is good!

Chris
crowtoo@earthlink.net
post #13132 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post

thanks to your efforts, when i needed the info i was looking for, i found it here on AVS. Thanks to all the info I found, I purchased my TV feeling a lot better and confident with my purchase. SO PLEASE KEEP IT UP!!

we don't even tip the guy who gives us the food in the restaurant or the guy who sits in a cab and takes us from place a to b. you guys tip too much! the tech who calibrates your TV should be happy enough with your big smile and sincere thanks. actually, i am pretty sure he is
good luck with your calibration.

Lorien, if you ever travel to NYC don't take a taxi. If you don't tip, RUN FAST!
post #13133 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

I was using D-Nice's Pure mode settings and those were way off as you can see in the report , the reason why is because every 151 and 111 are not identical. You could put the same settings on 15 different 151s and get 15 different readings.

hmm that is exactly how i have it set. D-nice's PURE settings and next week D-Nice's ISF settings. i was going to get the screen calibrated (even though it is going to cost me so much as i the guy has to travel a good 8 hours go get here) but with your post and report i am now going to set a date and not wait. only hope my wife still talks to me after...

thanks for posting this. great stuff.

Quote:

i thought so as well. but then again, it does make sense to use the DVD if you want all pixels to break in the same way. plus, i am sure D-Nice's knows what he is talking about and so many others here who have enough knowledge to know what is good or bad for the screen. like with medicine, there is 10000 opinions for every study.. i am sure its the same here.

Quote:

Lorien, if you ever travel to NYC don't take a taxi. If you don't tip, RUN FAST!

hehhe been there and know how it is. still think its lame. your entire world of service is tipped. strange.
post #13134 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dross333 View Post

HI, Finally had time to hook up my 3 week old 111 tonight. I am using FIOS and notice a lot of noice in the background of lighter scenes. Is this normal? I am using pure mode with the full D-Nice break-in and settings.
Thanks
David

Not sure about the noise, but just to clarify you aren't using the settings meant for running the break-in are you? Your wording seems to indicate that? If so, you should be using the after break-in settings.
post #13135 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post

hmm that is exactly how i have it set. D-nice's PURE settings and next week D-Nice's ISF settings. i was going to get the screen calibrated (even though it is going to cost me so much as i the guy has to travel a good 8 hours go get here) but with your post and report i am now going to set a date and not wait. .

Well D-Nice does say, (ONLY use these settings after the 150 hour break-in period!!!!!!!!!) doing the break-in certainly gets it closer at least.
post #13136 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtoo View Post

Now to schedule a calibration so we can get the most out of our investment.

crowtoo@earthlink.net

Check this LIST of Calibrators that can activate and calibrate the ISFccc Interface.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #13137 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If anyone on here is using an Anthem AVM50 or D2, what are you using for Video Output settings in the Anthem feeding your Pioneer 111/151 display?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #13138 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Well D-Nice does say, (ONLY use these settings after the 150 hour break-in period!!!!!!!!!) doing the break-in certainly gets it closer at least.

right., which is what i have done exactly.
post #13139 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

"Please tell me what programming you can watch without stupid logos on the screen??????'

DVDs and Blu-rays.
post #13140 of 30632 Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM

I've been using a Harmony 880 for close to 5 years, but in the past my use of it had been fairly basic--just powering components on/off according to activities, sending volume control commands to the receiver instead of the tv, et cetera. However, now that I'm controlling a 111fd with this remote, I realized I want to do a few "special" things along with the normal activities commands. Does anybody know how I can set the display to use a specific av selection with a given activity? I haven't been able to figure it out.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page