The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13231 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just saw some motion artifacts I don't remember seeing before. It was watching FOXSW HD (Mavs basketball game). Not the same stuff that used to drive me crazy with LCD. Is this a bandwidth artifact ? Is there a "preferred" setting(s) for watching Sports broadcast (e.g. "Sport" video mode ? Is it content-dependent whether the Satellite receiver output should be set to 1080i or 720p for best results ?

thx

BLU RAY - 53+PE (if your quantity is zero, you are missing out on too many movies)
HD DVD - 10 (if your quantity is zero, you are still missing out).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13232 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe you should set it to 1080i, atleast that I what I am watching my cable on. Too bad cable HD stinks, too much compression..
post #13233 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 AM

YEE HAWWWWWW!!!!! I just got notified by the trucking company that my Elite gets delivered this afternoon. I have everything I need all layed out and ready for wall mounting but will wait to start after delivery. I want to make sure that the TV is in pristine condition before I mount anything. I am so dang psyched.....I shouldn't have had that extra cup of coffee! LOL! Wish me luck.
post #13234 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmargole View Post

Folks,

What was a exciting purchase turned into something I really regret doing. Bought a PRO 111FD Jan 9th/09 only to learn that Pioneer is out of the TV market

This is the 2nd Elite I bought - got a pro940hd a couple of years back, love it, and decided to get the pro111 as well (which I also love)

Given Pioneers decision I am really concerned about service - they say warranty periods will be honoured, but if something goes wrong after that can't help but think I'll be screwed - Thinking of availability of original parts, etc - had I known of their decision would of never bought it. To pay a premium price for the TV and end up in ths position (along with many, many others) just adds to the frustration.

So.. returning the TV to the place of purchase is not a option. Anyone look at other options to returning recently purchased units thru Pioneer or legal means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

Nope. Actually, people are rushing out to buy them around these neck of the woods.

1+ Same here--people are snapping them up.

Dmargole, is it still possible for you to purchase an extended warranty for your set? Many of them will prorate you the cost of the set if it fails in the future. I understand your angst, as I thought very hard about the issues of future problems as well. The points you raise are indeed valid.

Having said that, after careful consideration, I went out shortly thereafter to buy my 151--I ran the 150 hour break-in straight through to stress the set and root out any problems.

I was just glad to be able to acquire the best plasma ever made before they go away.

I'm sorry to hear about your regret, but if your dealer won't take it back/exchange it, I'll bet you'd find many folks who'd buy your set--especially if you have no dead pixels or blotches, and a "non-buzzer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13235 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvshopper View Post

Sorry to do the bump thing but what are your thoughts on my idea for break in?

If you decide to run your panel between program watching for 850 hours, I think the thumbdrive offers a more error proof solution. What if the channel it was tuned to went down?
post #13236 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 AM

geo,

You make a good point. Thank you.
post #13237 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

I see things that arent seen, that is to say that I see the light switch and the screws but I also see the wires behind it in my mind - if I see a lamp it is not just a lamp, I see the metal tube going through the middle of it and the nuts and washers used to hold it together and so on

so yea I see things that most people will never see or even care to see, but it has become a problem for me since now I see things with my TV that other people cant see until I describe it in detail how to see it - like the dirty lines I see on the screen when the picture pans up and down - NOT side to side that looks fine it is only up and down - read my other posts to see what I am talking about

Have you sen Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment in any rooms yet?

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
post #13238 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvshopper View Post

YEE HAWWWWWW!!!!! I just got notified by the trucking company that my Elite gets delivered this afternoon. I have everything I need all layed out and ready for wall mounting but will wait to start after delivery. I want to make sure that the TV is in pristine condition before I mount anything. I am so dang psyched.....I shouldn't have had that extra cup of coffee! LOL! Wish me luck.

Good luck and keep us posted
post #13239 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Hi!

I checked Turbe's guide to calibrators. I live within 100 miles of Kansas City, MO and am considering a 9G ISFccc calibration. If you have had any experience with the calibrators listed by turbe in this area, would you kindly PM me with any recommendations please? If you've had any experience with the local BB calibration (gasp! ) or any people not on Turbe's list, I'd be interested in communicating with you by PM as well.

Thanks!

Anyone that is not on that list doesn't have (or isn't licensed to use) ControlCAL..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #13240 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul051966 View Post

Sorry if this issue has been discussed previously, but I just got my 111FD from BB and started the 150 hr break in last night using a thumbdrive. This morning, the TV was powered off and will not power back on. It is hooked up to a surge protector. I tried to plug it into a different outlet and still no luck. Any theories about what the heck happened while I wait for BB to open?

Thanks

FYI.. The TV did come back on yesterday. However, only after I tried power cycling, unplugged then plugged back in the power cable into the set, and directly into the wall socket all without success. What did work? I had to reset the main circuit breaker outside. Evidently, even though all of my other appliances were working, there must not have been enough electricity for the set without resetting the main breaker.

Paul
post #13241 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:

FYI.. The TV did come back on yesterday. However, only after I tried power cycling, unplugged then plugged back in the power cable into the set, and directly into the wall socket all without success. What did work? I had to reset the main circuit breaker outside. Evidently, even though all of my other appliances were working, there must not have been enough electricity for the set without resetting the main breaker.

Paul

How old is the breaker switch?...
post #13242 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Paul

I'm glad you found the source of the problem.

It sounds like you've probably got to move either your TV or appliances off the same circuit, since the current draw is too high to support all that. Unfortunately, the problem will only get worse if you decide to install a bunch of other home theater equipment/amps,

You might consider getting an electrician to install a separate circuit to your home theater area. (I ended up having the electrician install a dedicated 20A home theater circuit in my basement to avoid this problem.)

Good luck!

post #13243 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Anyone that is not on that list doesn't have (or isn't licensed to use) ControlCAL..

Hi, Turbe--
I meant no offense--didn't realize that--I will therefore, restrict my request for PM comments on folks on the list who service the Kansas City area. (I take it that ControlCAL is the only approved way to do an ISFccc calibration?)

Thanks!

post #13244 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Folks,

What was a exciting purchase turned into something I really regret doing. Bought a PRO 111FD Jan 9th/09 only to learn that Pioneer is out of the TV market

This is the 2nd Elite I bought - got a pro940hd a couple of years back, love it, and decided to get the pro111 as well (which I also love)

Given Pioneers decision I am really concerned about service - they say warranty periods will be honoured, but if something goes wrong after that can't help but think I'll be screwed - Thinking of availability of original parts, etc - had I known of their decision would of never bought it. To pay a premium price for the TV and end up in ths position (along with many, many others) just adds to the frustration.

So.. returning the TV to the place of purchase is not a option. Anyone look at other options to returning recently purchased units thru Pioneer or legal means?

Pioneer says they will honor warranties and state laws. In California vendors have to keep parts in stock for seven years.

Stop fretting and enjoy your TV!
post #13245 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM

So a few days ago I noticed what I believe may be IR. I surf about 10 hours a week on my kuro. When watching a movie of 2.35.1 I noticed at the very top of the screen that it looked like the windows bar was retained on the screen. However, there is no hint of the words that are in the bar, or the maximize/miminae buttons. It is really quite faint, which makes me think it may just be my screen and it's just coincidence as far as the location of the line. If you look closely at your windows xp window- the top blue bar is a little darker at the very bottom. I have that thickness of a faintly noticable darker line. I can only see it on all black screens. I cannot see any type of IR/Burn in when running the break in images on a thumb drive.

I tried the jscreenfix, but found a warning that it is not good to run it because i can reduce your tv's color gamut, and life. If its true I dont know. btu I dont want to to mess up my TV. read the warning in this linkhttp://www.wikihow.com/Use-JScreenFi...Screen-Burn-in

I will not be using the computer on my tv anymore, and I lookign to get a monitor for it. BUT my question is- How long will it take for thsi long term IR to go away? Is it not uncommmon in order for the tv to get better on it's own from simply watching tv to take a few months? Not too noticable- but I notice it and want it gone.
post #13246 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

So a few days ago I noticed what I believe may be IR. I surf about 10 hours a week on my kuro. When watching a movie of 2.35.1 I noticed at the very top of the screen that it looked like the windows bar was retained on the screen. However, there is no hint of the words that are in the bar, or the maximize/miminae buttons. It is really quite faint, which makes me think it may just be my screen and it's just coincidence as far as the location of the line. If you look closely at your windows xp window- the top blue bar is a little darker at the very bottom. I have that thickness of a faintly noticable darker line. I can only see it on all black screens. I cannot see any type of IR/Burn in when running the break in images on a thumb drive.

I tried the jscreenfix, but found a warning that it is not good to run it because i can reduce your tv's color gamut, and life. If its true I dont know. btu I dont want to to mess up my TV.

I will not be using the computer on my tv anymore, and I lookign to get a moniter for it. BUT my question is- How long will it take for thsi long term IR to go away? Is it not uncommmon in order for the tv to get better on it's own from simply watching tv to take a few months? Not too noticable- but I notice it and want it gone.

I would suggest using Pioneer's own anti-IR sweep program. That's what they put it on the TV for.

post #13247 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi, Turbe--
I meant no offense--didn't realize that--I will therefore, restrict my request for PM comments on folks on the list who service the Kansas City area. (I take it that ControlCAL is the only approved way to do an ISFccc calibration?)

Thanks!

haha, None taken.. I just wanted to help you get the most from your display calibration..

Several Pros tour that area (I think Doug Weil, Jeff Meir, Doug Blackburn and others do) and of course the ones close to that state (or in it).

You shouldn't have a problem finding one... ControlCAL is already used by nearly every Pro that works/specializes on Pioneers..

ControlCAL™

post #13248 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Hi. Just bought a 151 and I already have a 6020. Is the 151 any brighter? Is there a difference in the PQ?
post #13249 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post

I am not able to get closed captioning on my 111 for some reason. The TV is paired with Bell ExpressVu 6000 HD receiver (in Canada). I turned CC ON, then Auto, tried all CC modes - no luck. Does not work with HD and standard channels. Any idea?

Thanks!

You probably need to turn it on from HD Receiver Box. That was the cause with me.
post #13250 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

Pioneer says they will honor warranties and state laws. In California vendors have to keep parts in stock for seven years.

Stop fretting and enjoy your TV!

I would think we will find service centers spring up with parts and service as time goes on and Pioneer leaves this field.

My old Hafler (1981) and Carver (1983) amps both have places that have parts and send in places where they can be repaired.

Joel
post #13251 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochickensoup View Post

Hi. Just bought a 151 and I already have a 6020. Is the 151 any brighter? Is there a difference in the PQ?

no offense, but if there was no difference in PQ, why would anyone spring for the elite? im sure as hell not buying it for the double bonded filter

yes it can be much brighter and still be accurate in the isf modes. it should look better (more accurate) but the black levels will be the same. the 6020 is no slouch though and many people say a controlcal'd movie mode will look very close to pure mode out of the box on the elite

post #13252 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Folks,

There seems little point in taking a loss just to get rid of the TV. If it's not eligible for return through your dealer, it's not eligible for return, period.

As mvp2005fan said, I think your best bet is to buy an extended warranty if it makes you feel better. Personally, I have no concerns whatsoever about the panels' reliability or my ability to get service down the road. (Besides, I know how I operate: if something goes wrong with my Kuro in 3-4 years, I'll probably be secretly glad for the excuse to buy the next cool thing...)
post #13253 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi!

I checked Turbe's guide to calibrators. I live within 100 miles of Kansas City, MO and am considering a 9G ISFccc calibration. If you have had any experience with the calibrators listed by turbe in this area, would you kindly PM me with any recommendations please? If you've had any experience with the local BB calibration (gasp! ) or any people not on Turbe's list, I'd be interested in communicating with you by PM as well.

Thanks!

One of the most highly-praised calibrators around here, Jeff Meier (umr), is based somewhere in Missouri now.
post #13254 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 PM

I am trying to understand the functionality of ControlCAL and have questions that I am hoping to get answer before I purchase activation key for my Pioneer PRO-151FD.

On the flow procedure/instruction for 9G Pioneer displays, steps 6, 9, 13 and 16 says "CALIBRATE CONTROLS", where do I get default calibration controls? Are they PIONEER ISF C3 PROFILE CONTROL VALUE DESCRIPTIONS? (ControlCAL's Pioneer 9G Kuro ISFccc / C3 Display Profile(s) Discussion thread post #3?) If it is, do I use same calibration controls for ISF Auto, ISF Day and ISF Night for each input?

I would like to try D-Nice's Reference Settings for ISF Day and ISF Night mode from "Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues" thread and assuming ISF Auto mode as its name implies would have automatic settings and can't be modified correct?
post #13255 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Can someone explain to a KURO nube exactly what "Deep Color " is? Is it something that can output on a Sony BDP-S550? There is a real lack of detailed information in the Pioneer Owners Guide on almost every subject. Most of my questions have been answered by reading this thread, but the Deep Color issue still remains a mystery. I downloaded the Owners Manual so I could read up on the PRO-151 before It's delivered....soon I hope. I can't stand waiting much longer for my TV and new speakers.
post #13256 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp512 View Post

I am trying to understand the functionality of ControlCAL and have questions that I am hoping to get answer before I purchase activation key for my Pioneer PRO-151FD.

You'd probably get better info and response in the ControlCAL forum.
post #13257 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboye2002 View Post

Can someone explain to a KURO nube exactly what "Deep Color " is? Is it something that can output on a Sony BDP-S550? There is a real lack of detailed information in the Pioneer Owners Guide on almost every subject. Most of my questions have been answered by reading this thread, but the Deep Color issue still remains a mystery. I downloaded the Owners Manual so I could read up on the PRO-151 before It's delivered....soon I hope. I can't stand waiting much longer for my TV and new speakers.

Deep color refers to a pixel color depth (i.e., amount of information used to define a color, and therefore the precision of the info) of 30/36/48 bits. Kind of a moot point, really, because there is no existing content that uses this capability. When you see something like "36-bit" displayed on your Kuro, that's because the player is upscaling the native content.
post #13258 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

(Besides, I know how I operate: if something goes wrong with my Kuro in 3-4 years, I'll probably be secretly glad for the excuse to buy the next cool thing...)

1+! I'm with ya' on that one!

post #13259 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Quick question,
I have a MacPro and I am wondering if I can play movies using Quicktime/VLC through the Ethernet network into my Kuro 151?
Thanks for any help
post #13260 of 30646 Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp512 View Post

On the flow procedure/instruction for 9G Pioneer displays, steps 6, 9, 13 and 16 says "CALIBRATE CONTROLS", where do I get default calibration controls? Are they PIONEER ISF C3 PROFILE CONTROL VALUE DESCRIPTIONS? (ControlCAL's Pioneer 9G Kuro ISFccc / C3 Display Profile(s) Discussion thread post #3?) If it is, do I use same calibration controls for ISF Auto, ISF Day and ISF Night for each input?

I would like to try D-Nice's Reference Settings for ISF Day and ISF Night mode from "Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues" thread and assuming ISF Auto mode as its name implies would have automatic settings and can't be modified correct?

Calibrate Controls = Adjust Controls = Adjust Sliders = Enter Values for Control

Use the Step by Step Instructions Here

You can adjust the Controls in isf Auto, more info Here

ControlCAL™

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page