The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 503 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15061 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just meant more 3D/popping-out like, and less film-like. I know the AMP feature on LCD's isn't exactly 3D or anything, but it just gives off the perception (to me at least) that it's 'popping out'.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm quite an average Joe when it comes to TV's so excuse my jumbled up terminology :-P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15062 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had my 111 for about two and half weeks.
(I sold my 5080)
I ran the D-nice break-in and I am using his settings.

I am getting a weird effect in some dark/black scenes.
I can see noise or blotches of gray mixed in with the black.
At first I thought it was source related, but i saw it happen twice:
First- a few scenes in LOST HD broadcast and then it was there again in the opening scenes of "There Will Be Blood" on Bluray.

This doesn't happen on all dark scenes- but when it does it is very noticeable.
I never saw this on my 5080 and certaintly did not expect it on the 111.
After all- Kuro's are known for the best black.

Anyone else?
post #15063 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierzer View Post

I just meant more 3D/popping-out like, and less film-like. I know the AMP feature on LCD's isn't exactly 3D or anything, but it just gives off the perception (to me at least) that it's 'popping out'.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm quite an average Joe when it comes to TV's so excuse my jumbled up terminology :-P.

Get your 111 professionally calibrated, end of story.

You sound like an 'ISF day' kind of person.
post #15064 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM

I applied controlcal a couple of days ago and its great for my wife and I. When I leave at 5 am for work I set the tv for ISF DAY for my wife because she always opens the shades when she gets up.When I get home I switch the tv to ISF NIGHT and close the shades.Yesterday for the first time she asked me why I always change it when I come in. So I left it on ISF DAY and closed the shades and she put her hands over her eyes and said ok I see the difference,now change it before you burn my eyes out.lol.Truthfully I never noticed the difference until I showed her.
post #15065 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

I have had my 111 for about two and half weeks.
(I sold my 5080)
I ran the D-nice break-in and I am using his settings.

I am getting a weird effect in some dark/black scenes.
I can see noise or blotches of gray mixed in with the black.
At first I thought it was source related, but i saw it happen twice:
First- a few scenes in LOST HD broadcast and then it was there again in the opening scenes of "There Will Be Blood" on Bluray.

This doesn't happen on all dark scenes- but when it does it is very noticeable.
I never saw this on my 5080 and certaintly did not expect it on the 111.
After all- Kuro's are known for the best black.

Anyone else?

Are you using isf Day or isf night when you see this?
Do you see tihis when you use optimum?

Joel
post #15066 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm using PURE
I am not using ISF modes.
I am trying not to pay for a another calibration (did one on the 5080 and I only noticed a minor improvement) I have heard PURE is very close anyway.
I'll check it out on OPTIMUM.
post #15067 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Just curious if anyone here has switched to FIOS recently? I am considering the switch, especially with the additional HD channels. Also from what I have read FIOS is using a lot less compression than Comcast and on a 151 it may make a meaningful difference in PQ. Anyone want to chime in?
Thanks,

JTMav
post #15068 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMav View Post

Just curious if anyone here has switched to FIOS recently? I am considering the switch, especially with the additional HD channels. Also from what I have read FIOS is using a lot less compression than Comcast and on a 151 it may make a meaningful difference in PQ. Anyone want to chime in?
Thanks,

I have gone from Roadrunner to FIOS..there was a huge difference on my Hitachi RPTV...in fact the installer was surprised at how good the SD channels looked

The bottom line is even with FIOS some channels are pure garbage esp SD. But some of the HD channels are just OK...in fact in some cases different programing can have different results...personally what i hate is a channel that is listed as HD...is not HD all the time(commericals withstanding)

You will IMHO love FIOS, so better than cable at least Roadrunner
post #15069 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Did UMR work on your audio?

Sorry to respond so late, but I have been in the process of having my speakers sent back to the manufacturer all last week.

Yes I did have Jeff(UMR)attempt to calibrate the audio, bur as you can tell from the previous paragraph he ran into a problem. I had initially thought I had a problem with my set-up(love those Denons), so I figured I would have Jeff do the audio after the 111 was delivered and set-up. While checking the speakers he found the woofers on both speakers to have some issues. As a result he will be back in June to do the audio. I will follow-up at that time. Jeff said I set the record for most broken audio components. The subwoofer had an issue also. It was rather embarassing, but it now justifies a few upgrades.
post #15070 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks,

In my area FIOS is vastly better than Comcast in every way. Picture quality is incredible on FIOS. Even the SD channels look pretty good.
post #15071 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Thanks,

i did, but it was some time ago...

the difference in pq is equivalent to the difference in pq between the cheapest crappiest display you can find and your kuro... it is that significant...

fios doesn't use any re-compression at all...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15072 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Frankly, if you have a 9G and FIOS is available in your area, you need to get it. There's simply no other option. The PQ is stunning on most of the HD channels. The SD quality will vary, but overall it's very watchable. Personally, I never find a need to get off the HD channels, although my children do when I let them watch Nick or something like that in the Elite room.
post #15073 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Hello to all,

I'm not sure if I'm seeing things but it may appear to me that the blacks get better after the set has been on for about 5 mins. Does this make sense or is it just my eyes playing games with me?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #15074 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

I have been waiting FIOS to come to our area for a year or so now and unfortunately I am still waiting. I signed up for update and keep checking and calling FIOS representative but no luck to when we can get it. We have Comcast HD but would love to make the switch ASAP. My brother has FIOS setup in his home in Dallas and it is amazing. Can't wait until I get FIOS especially now that I have the "Elite" sitting around.
post #15075 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM2008 View Post

I have been waiting FIOS to come to our area for a year or so now and unfortunately I am still waiting. I signed up for update and keep checking and calling FIOS representative but no luck to when we can get it. We have Comcast HD but would love to make the switch ASAP. My brother has FIOS setup in his home in Dallas and it is amazing. Can't wait until I get FIOS especially now that I have the "Elite" sitting around.

Unless Verizon provides that landline phone service in your area, don't hold your breath for FiOS. Those are the places they are focusing on for the time being. (With exceptions here and there...) In many urban areas, somebody else (Qwest, etc) owns all the landlines in the city and then Verizon covers the suburbs. So that's where you see FiOS availability.

It's pretty frustrating- I live in Seattle, for example, and most of the suburbs around us are gradually getting FiOS. But within the city limits, where Qwest owns the landlines, Verizon told me they have "no plans" to offer the service. It's Comcast or satellite for us.
post #15076 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Hello to all,

I'm not sure if I'm seeing things but it may appear to me that the blacks get better after the set has been on for about 5 mins. Does this make sense or is it just my eyes playing games with me?

The blacks get better after about 20 seconds on mine.
post #15077 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

The blacks get better after about 20 seconds on mine.

I wonder if there is a technical explanation for this.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #15078 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post

Frankly, if you have a 9G and FIOS is available in your area, you need to get it. There's simply no other option. The PQ is stunning on most of the HD channels. The SD quality will vary, but overall it's very watchable. Personally, I never find a need to get off the HD channels, although my children do when I let them watch Nick or something like that in the Elite room.

(emphasis mine)

Pshaw! BUD has the best NTSC signals and the handful of 4DTV HD channels are the best! There's also plenty of great quality signals on FTA BUD including 4:4:4 HD (via FTA PC card).

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #15079 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

I'm using PURE
I am not using ISF modes.
I am trying not to pay for a another calibration (did one on the 5080 and I only noticed a minor improvement) I have heard PURE is very close anyway.
I'll check it out on OPTIMUM.

Play with DRE and see what happens.

Joel
post #15080 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Progprog thanks. I should have mentioned that we can get Verizon local phone and highspeed internet for a couple of years now. I live right outside of Phila, pa and I believe Comcast is the dominant provider (but we can get Direct TV and Dish Network). For some reasons I remember reading that Verizon Fios has legal/contract difficulty getting into the Phila. and surrounding areas. I could be wrong but what I do know is that we have verizon local phone and internet for almost 4 or 5 years and I have heard and waiting for Verizon Fios service for a year or so now but nothing ever come up in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Unless Verizon provides that landline phone service in your area, don't hold your breath for FiOS. Those are the places they are focusing on for the time being. (With exceptions here and there...) In many urban areas, somebody else (Qwest, etc) owns all the landlines in the city and then Verizon covers the suburbs. So that's where you see FiOS availability.

It's pretty frustrating- I live in Seattle, for example, and most of the suburbs around us are gradually getting FiOS. But within the city limits, where Qwest owns the landlines, Verizon told me they have "no plans" to offer the service. It's Comcast or satellite for us.

post #15081 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure of the technical reason but it's not a subtle effect or a product of my imagination. After a few seconds of the set being on, the black level drops considerably right before my eyes.
post #15082 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it has to do with Kuro technology and there are several stages that they'll go through. Look up "black level" on my past posts and you'll come across a discussion on this.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #15083 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks for so many quick responses, sounds like the FIOS option may be the way to go, with the special they're running the only risk is I am tied up with them for a year. I would be saving around $40-$50/month with the same level of service and, from the looks of things, more HD channels and better quality.
Thanks to all again.

JTMav
post #15084 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

I am looking forward to getting ControlCal to activate the ISF Day and Night modes, particularly the day mode. I saw T-Bird's pic of his TV in day mode, and while mine is yet to be calibrated, I have a bright room in the daytime that will benefit from this.
post #15085 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 PM

How far should your couch sit from the 5020?

PS. Thanks to all for your advice - I appreciate it!
post #15086 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmroth View Post

I would not get closer than 6' and no farther than 10', but that all depends on your taste.

Juan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15087 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmroth View Post

since your couch isn't watching it, it doesn't matter...

how far should you sit, otoh... i'd say juan's estimate is pretty good... if it was me, i'd err towards the closer side...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #15088 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM

before i buy either 111/151fd..

any issues of nvidia gtx285 + elite kuro i should be aware of ?

gtx285 + elite kuro: friends/mutual respect ??

thanks !
post #15089 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post

before i buy either 111/151fd..

any issues of nvidia gtx285 + elite kuro i should be aware of ?

gtx285 + elite kuro: friends/mutual respect ??

thanks !

napalm, just in case you don't get much of a response on this thread, you might want to run this by the group in the HTPC threads as well... might be a few more people haunting those threads who have familiarity with the nvidia...

- chris

post #15090 of 30646 Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:

... sounds like the FIOS option may be the way to go, with the special they're running the only risk is I am tied up with them for a year.

Lucky dog, I wish I had FIOS TV in my area, I wouldn't hesitate one bit in signing up for a 2 year contract for their fiber-optics quality!! It's even better IMO, than DirectTV... I have FIOS internet right now and I am very pleased with the performance.

"Not Enough Hours In A Day"
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page