The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 529 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15841 of 30625 Old 04-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My MultiSync LCD 2690WUXI2 monitor has the hardware built in to be used with SpectraView II software and any of several color pucks such as the wide-gamut X-rite Eye-One colorimeter that came with it.

QUESTION (sorry if it has already been asked, but there are waaaay too many postings to search through): Are there any calibration methods (for us that are far more mortal than D-Nice and far less trained) which are automated via computer software and colorimeter that can do a decent job of calibrating the Pioneer Elite plasmas that will do almost as good a job on the plasma display as my SpectraView software and hardware does on my computer monitor for exacting color-sensitive digital darkroom work.?

Thanks,

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15842 of 30625 Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
D-Nice or others, I got a couple questions.

Did Turbe build the ISF modes or did Pioneer ? IMO Pure looks nothing like the ISF modes, and , I could be wrong here but I don't think Pure nor any of the other stock modes can be tweaked to look quite like the ISF modes.

And I got another question that has been bugging me a bit, im gonna ask my calibrator this as well but..., hell I probably already asked him , proof my memory is worthless.

I have my brightness and color sensor on and they were on when my 151 was calibrated, so my question is this, is there any way they could have played into my calibration ? I probably asked him about this but its been awhile since it was done and my memory is worthless with my brain injury and all.

Also just how much does room lighting play into a calibration? The facts are this, I watch with either alot of light or a little light so is the ISF modes gonna be best viewed in the lighting conditions when it was calibrated or?
post #15843 of 30625 Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Probably because I don't have one to actually create and maintain settings??? I have calibrated a few Signatures however, I do not and will not ever provide settings from my clients displays.

Okay, got it.

For the record, if you calibrated our 141 you'd be more than welcome to publish the numbers.
post #15844 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 AM

Hello Folks,

I recently took delivery of a 151. I broke the tv using the break-in disc, and applied D-Nice's settings accordingly after the break-in period (150 hrs).

Recently, while viewing a Blu-ray movie, I walked away for a few minutes and when I returned I noticed that the tv (or blu-ray device) had gone into a screensaver mode (I'm using a 51fd blu-ray player). That was fine, but I noticed something on the screen that didn't look right. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the tv had a "cloud" about 3'x1.5' running across the screen. Now, days later I don't know whether to call it a blotchy effect or a cloud effect. Apparently, after doing a little research on these boards, I realized that this might be the dreaded DSE?

Please bear in mind that I can only view this effect when the tv is either transitioning between a scene, (ie, the screen momentarily goes completely black) or when I pause the blu-ray player and the Pioneer screensaver starts up. IF there's ANY kind of image on the tv the picture is even at all points (to my eyes anyways). Perhaps the images on the tv are simply drowning out the effect? Who knows, should I be concerned here?

Also, I noticed that the tv has a blotchy effect when I pause during a blu-ray movie and the screensaver comes on, ie, the blacks throughout the tv don't appear to be uniform in color, there appear to be variances. However, I would be hardpressed to find any of the variances during playback of any feed.

I apologize in advance if my post was reduntant, it's late and I'm falling asleep at the keyboard atm. I'm actually on my 3rd attempt now trying to post this reply because I keep clicking on the darn "back" button on my mouse

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
post #15845 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloman View Post

Hello Folks,

I recently took delivery of a 151. I broke the tv using the break-in disc, and applied D-Nice's settings accordingly after the break-in period (150 hrs).

Recently, while viewing a Blu-ray movie, I walked away for a few minutes and when I returned I noticed that the tv (or blu-ray device) had gone into a screensaver mode (I'm using a 51fd blu-ray player). That was fine, but I noticed something on the screen that didn't look right. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the tv had a "cloud" about 3'x1.5' running across the screen. Now, days later I don't know whether to call it a blotchy effect or a cloud effect. Apparently, after doing a little research on these boards, I realized that this might be the dreaded DSE?

Please bear in mind that I can only view this effect when the tv is either transitioning between a scene, (ie, the screen momentarily goes completely black) or when I pause the blu-ray player and the Pioneer screensaver starts up. IF there's ANY kind of image on the tv the picture is even at all points (to my eyes anyways). Perhaps the images on the tv are simply drowning out the effect? Who knows, should I be concerned here?

Also, I noticed that the tv has a blotchy effect when I pause during a blu-ray movie and the screensaver comes on, ie, the blacks throughout the tv don't appear to be uniform in color, there appear to be variances. However, I would be hardpressed to find any of the variances during playback of any feed.

I apologize in advance if my post was reduntant, it's late and I'm falling asleep at the keyboard atm. I'm actually on my 3rd attempt now trying to post this reply because I keep clicking on the darn "back" button on my mouse

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

That is the dreaded blotch. It's supposed to go away over time.
post #15846 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

That is the dreaded blotch. It's supposed to go away over time.

Yea I would keep running it for a couple hundred hours.
post #15847 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Sweet, thanks for the quick response!
post #15848 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently, after doing a little research on these boards, I realized that this might be the dreaded DSE?

Please bear in mind that I can only view this effect when the tv is either transitioning between a scene, (ie, the screen momentarily goes completely black) or when I pause the blu-ray player and the Pioneer screensaver starts up. IF there's ANY kind of image on the tv the picture is even at all points (to my eyes anyways).

Yes, blotchiness or DSE. But not to be so "dreaded." If it really has no impact whatsoever on the actual viewing experience, I don't think it can be considered a serious problem. And as previously mentioned, it is said to diminish over time.
post #15849 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Yes, blotchiness or DSE. But not to be so "dreaded." If it really has no impact whatsoever on the actual viewing experience, I don't think it can be considered a serious problem. And as previously mentioned, it is said to diminish over time.

This is true. It was dreaded for me, because I looked for it every single time I turned on the TV. It becomes obsessive.
post #15850 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi,
How can I find the serial number of my 151 display? It has been wall mounted and it is impossible to look on the back.
Is there a place on the menu that I can see that information?

Thanks
post #15851 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Hi,
How can I find the serial number of my 151 display? It has been wall mounted and it is impossible to look on the back.
Is there a place on the menu that I can see that information?

Thanks

Look on the top right corner of your display.
post #15852 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Look on the top right corner of your display.

THANKS D!
You are the best.
post #15853 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:

That information is Pioneer proprietary data.

Thanks D-Nice for clarifying. However, I'm still not sure I understand. If the colorpoints and greyscale are near identical with the ISFccc modes and Pure mode AND there is a difference other than the peak light output, what's left to be different?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just trying to qualify what the difference is between a calibrated ISFccc mode and a calibrated Pure mode (besides the peak light output). If this is proprietary information, I understand.

Thanks again.
post #15854 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

This is true. It was dreaded for me, because I looked for it every single time I turned on the TV. It becomes obsessive.

Texasveteran,

Unfortunately, I share your passion of obsessing. I'm guilty now of doing the same! I now look for the issue each and every time I'm watching any kind of video feed. But I can't find it, unless the screen's black.

Whereas before I was blind, now my eyes are open.
post #15855 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM

OMG, I knew it would happen but I'm still not prepared. Our thread has gone from sticky to non-sticky to ....Page 2 of recent threads. I need a pill.

Scotty
post #15856 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Hi guys!

I just purchased a 151 and am having it delilvered and intalled this weekend!

I wanted to confirm something I read on an earlier string.

I seem to read conflicting information.

Does one absolutely have to have the 151 bolted to a wall or stand or is the stand sturdy enough to "stand alone"?
post #15857 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingrande@cox.ne View Post

Hi guys!

Does one absolutely have to have the 151 bolted to a wall or stand or is the stand sturdy enough to "stand alone"?

Mine stands alone just fine!

Go Duke !
post #15858 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi guys!

Hi, Jingrande:
As trackman noted, the 151 will easily stay upright by itself on it's stand. However, some of the confusion may be as a result of what's written in the owners' manual. The manual describes a method of attaching the television to the wall to make the stand installation even more secure. It's an optional procedure, but might be helpful if your house has little folks in it who might accidentally run into your new television.
post #15859 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoddee View Post

OMG, I knew it would happen but I'm still not prepared. Our thread has gone from sticky to non-sticky to ....Page 2 of recent threads. I need a pill. Scotty

your a little late as it happened a few weeks ago.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #15860 of 30625 Old 04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi guys! I just purchased a 151 and am having it delilvered and intalled this weekend! I wanted to confirm something I read on an earlier string. I seem to read conflicting information. Does one absolutely have to have the 151 bolted to a wall or stand or is the stand sturdy enough to "stand alone"?

as others mention if you have kids/big dog or maybe live in an earthquake area and you want to be extra careful it comes with small straps and screws to hold down the base to a stand. and you could also add metal braces from the back to a wall if you think it would help.

but yes, normally it stands just fine with the included base.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #15861 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 04:46 AM
LTD

Quote:

Hi guys!

Mine is very stable on its stand - but I live in Alabama where only small earthquakes occur. If the Madrid fault in this region produces a 100-year 7.0 quake, I'll have bigger things to worry about than the smashed screen. In California and other earthquake prone states however, I would not chance it to the stand alone. Even if home insurance covers it (if..), there's a deductable and the 151's won't be around that much longer so they'll be like gold. Why deal with that uncertainty?

Come to think of it, I think I'll get a stay fixed between my screen and my wall tonight! I was on top of the Whittier 6.1 earthquake back in the late 80's and that would have knocked it over.

Lawrence, Madison, AL
post #15862 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It is a very good and stable stand. I was wondering the same thing about stability, due to reading the online manual before purchasing. It would take a helluva lot more than a small kid just lightly bumping into it to knock it over. Drunken adults is another issue! I suppose it would be worthwhile to use the included fasteners to attach the stand to the shelf somehow, or possibly some non-marring C-clamps/Quick-Grips could be used from the back.

If anything, I'd guess an earthquake might crack the glass before knocking the display over, still = screwed...
post #15863 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments!

I think I am better prepared now and am truly excited about this purchase.

I purchased the break in disc recommended and plan on using it.

May I trouble you with one last question?

My plan is to use the disc and also watch the set when not running the disc.

Will that be a problem? I will try and avoid programs that are not full screen and use grey bars if I have too.
post #15864 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
my 150fd sits happily on it's stand with no additional support... of course, i live in a child-free home, and our days of drunken revelry are long past (sadly )...

the 111fd is screwed down with the little brackets... i only did that because they supplied them with the display, and figured as long as i was back there setting it up, i might as well screw it down...

i think when i get my new stand, i'll probably hunt down some similar brackets for the 150fd... but if i have to look too hard for them, i'll just stick it up there and leave it be...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15865 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Texasveteran,

Unfortunately, I share your passion of obsessing. I'm guilty now of doing the same! I now look for the issue each and every time I'm watching any kind of video feed. But I can't find it, unless the screen's black.

Whereas before I was blind, now my eyes are open.

Same here. However, the black bars seem to be affected. They just aren't as black as they were on my 111.
post #15866 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Did Turbe build the ISF modes or did Pioneer ?

Pioneer.

Quote:

I have my brightness and color sensor on and they were on when my 151 was calibrated, so my question is this, is there any way they could have played into my calibration ?

On as in On in the options menu??? If so, then yes it had an impact on your calibration. There is no reason why anyone should have the room light sensor turned on in the Options menu unless you want to use it with Pure, Standard, Game, Movie, etc A/V modes. The sensor is automatically on with ISF-Auto and Optimum modes.

Quote:

Also just how much does room lighting play into a calibration?

A lot. That is why the room should be pitch black when using a non contact sersor to calibrate the display. Anything beyond a pitch black room will result in light contamination and your calibration will only valid for that specific lighting environment.
post #15867 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The sensor is automatically on with ISF-Auto and Optimum modes.

D-nice...are BOTH the light AND color sensor active (assuming the color sensor is connected) and in use for both the Optimum and ISF-Auto modes, even when the lighting/color mode is turned OFF in the options menu?

OPPO BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #15868 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave3 View Post

D-nice...are BOTH the light AND color sensor active (assuming the color sensor is connected) and in use for both the Optimum and ISF-Auto modes, even when the lighting/color mode is turned OFF in the options menu?

Yes
post #15869 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I finally got new interconnect cables and my setup is almost complete. This means I've connected my 09FD's audio and actually been able to test things out more.

I get what I consider to be excellent results using the 09 in Source Direct mode and set to Pioneer PDP; my Edge is in Auto Output mode (with all picture enhancements flat), feeding the 111 which is set to ISF Night. Not only is the picture great, but I followed Anne-Sophie Mutter's fingers closely as she played on a BD celebrating Herbert Von Karajan's 100th birthday, and there was no delay at all; same with Rick Wakeman during a keyboard solo on Yes Live at Montreaux. Audio from the 09 goes directly to my preamp via RCAs, by the way.

Blu-ray looks great on the 111. I may even buy more when I recover from all the other stuff I've bought.
post #15870 of 30625 Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Well Dave Evans of 21st Century Calibrations was at my house on Tuesday to calibrate my Pro 111..He spent about 5hrs setting up ISF Day and Night modes for my Dishnetwork input and ISF Night for my Panasonic BD30..I was running D Nice Pure settings which I found to be very good but now all I can say is WOW ..Will post full report over the next few days but for now I must return to the couch and rerun TDK..I would like to add that in my opinion if you have a 111 or 151 and you forgo an ISF calibration you are missing out on what these sets can do.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page