The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the confirmation V. I think the center speaker is the most important one for movie watching. I want to hear every whisper without having to turn up the volume and I'm thinking that 4 six inch drivers should be able to handle that.
/OT

I know you had some hardship installing your Elite on the wall, but you may want to revisit it again soon. I think it would really add to the esthetics tremendously if you had at least 4-6 inches of space between the TV and your speaker/stand and routed the cables through the wall down to the baseboard. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 08:41 AM

TV is staying where it is. It is at eye level for our seating. I am going to do cable management using cable raceways painted to the wall color. That will get rid of the cables. The center is probably going back underneath the stand on a lower shelf. The middle shelf weight limit isn't heavy enough for the 64, but I am checking into adding a brace for the middle shelf to take care of that. My other components are going on the other stand. I just don't know where I am placing it yet. The new sub I am getting RT-12D, is big, and I don't think I will be able to place everything on the front wall now...it is a mess, but I will get it figured out.
post #1593 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 AM

Ah. That'll look much better!
post #1594 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post

Looking to replace my Denon 4306 for one that accommodates the newer audio codecs.

The Denon 4306 does accommodate the newer audio codecs. Just get a Bluray player that does "player-side decoding" and sends the 7.1 channels as Linear PCM (such as the PS3). To learn more, there is a thread dedicated to the 4306 over in the Audio area.

The Grocers' Apostrophe, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #1595 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem View Post

D-Nice, did you get your 111FD as of yet?

Shipping today
Quote:

When might we expect your review on it?

1.5 weeks (or so) after I receive it.
post #1596 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 10:27 AM

Can't wait to read your thoughts on the 111 D-nice. I don't have a great eye for calibration, but I was very impressed with how my 151 looked out of the box and can't wait to see your impressions.
post #1597 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hey guys, I can't see where I got a response on this post yet so I thought I'd check in with you folks again regarding a situation I have with my 111. When I turn the display on, the screen is grey; then just before it transitions to black, it smears ever so briefly like a histograph before going completely black. Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal or something I should be concerned about?

It does not affect content. Only does it when the display is cold. It's just that my 30 day window is closing fast and I want the assurance that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Other than that the display is perfect. I don't want to make much ado about nothing but this is my 3rd Pioneer plasma (3 generations) and this is the first to display this effect.

Maybe you could help me out and the next time you turn on the TV you'd take a look and see if yours does this and let me know.

Thanks in advance.
post #1598 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 AM

My 151 does not do that. It looks pretty dark when off, when it powers on, it goes black, and then acquires whatever signal I have on, and flickers once, and then displays content.
post #1599 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Hey guys, I can't see where I got a response on this post yet so I thought I'd check in with you folks again regarding a situation I have with my 111. When I turn the display on, the screen is grey; then just before it transitions to black, it smears ever so briefly like a histograph before going completely black. Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal or something I should be concerned about?

It does not affect content. Only does it when the display is cold. It's just that my 30 day window is closing fast and I want the assurance that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Other than that the display is perfect. I don't want to make much ado about nothing but this is my 3rd Pioneer plasma (3 generations) and this is the first to display this effect.

Maybe you could help me out and the next time you turn on the TV you'd take a look and see if yours does this and let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I don't believe mine does this.

The only thing suprising to me about the TVs start-up was the amount of delay that needed to be built into my remote's macro that switches the TV input from HDMI to component after powering on the display. (I have the only one HDMI out on my cable box and my wife wanted the option to able to watch/listen to TV thru attached speakers so I have HDMI out to my receiver, which is what we usually use, but also component/analog stereo out straight to the TV as the easiest way to allow her to use the TVs speakers) I believe the shortest delay that could get the TV to consistently switch from HDMI to component input after powering on was 16 seconds (if anyone cares). Obviously not a big deal, but suprising (to me) nonetheless.
post #1600 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

I'm absolutely thrilled with my 151FD. Thanks to everyone, Ken Ross, Robert at Value Electronics, the installers Steve and Al, and the whole group here at AVS. I feel like I've just upgraded my life.

post #1601 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshearer View Post

I am getting the 151 from World Premiere Home Theater located in Mechanicsburg. They have only been a Pioneer Elite dealer for about 6 months, but I have been dealing with them for a long time and they made me an offer I could not refuse

Scott

Thanks for the post, I just called them and they were able to offer me a great price (even including taxes) which beat sponsor's pricing, so if you haven't bought it yet, give them a call. I will pick it up and be able to INSPECT the panel before paying for it which is worth quite a bit of money in and of itself.
post #1602 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgrayson View Post

... how do I set my 111FD to the various sizing inputs?

My answer is based on a 1080p 8G display. I don't expect yours to be different, but that's up to you to discover.

When I first connected the HD-DVD player, and set it to output 1080p, I also used the size button to select Dot by Dot. After that, if I changed the HD-DVD player to output 480i, 480p, or 720p, and checked the size setting, it would be changed to Full. A Size setting of Full is similar to Dot by Dot with a little overscan scaled in. Since Dot by Dot isn't available for 480i, 480p and 720p inputs, the set seems to be using the next available size setting in it's sequence. If I change the HD-DVD player back to 1080i or 1080p the Size setting remains on Full, so I manually change it back to Dot by Dot which has no overscan related up scaling added to the image.

Quote:

Should I do the Auto Screen sizing (I'm hooked up via HDMI)?
If I should do manual, do I just change to a specific channel and then change aspect ratio and then do the same for the other inputs? Then it will be specific to each one?

I'm not clear enough about these questions to answer them. I haven't used "Auto Screen Sizing", but I do know that Dot by Dot Size mode is available only when the selected display input is receiving a 1080i or 1080p signal.
post #1603 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 AM

After a few days breaking in the 111 (with some regular viewing...full screen of course...mixed in), I had a viewing session last night to really test out the plasma. I chose to watch Batman Begins (HD DVD version) since I felt I had a decent memory of how the film looked and also to prep for the release of The Dark Knight.

My older tv, which now lives in the bedroom, was a Samsung 4665f LCD. I'd always considered the Sammy to be an excellent television...great black levels for an lcd, good color reproduction, overall excellent image. That is until I'd really experienced the Kuro. The black levels of the Sammy are not in the same league as the Kuro. While this was impressive, the 3D effect the enhanced black levels provided were what really caught my attention. The picture looked very deep, and just more natural than what I'd always experienced with the Sammy. This really added a new dimension to my viewing...I was thoroughly impressed. The deep black produced by the panel also greatly added the color reproduction. I felt as if the colors were much more natural on the Kuro.

Another aspect of the Kuro that impressed me was the true 24p representation. As a 60 hz display, the Sammy performed well, but that was before experiencing what 3:3 pulldown could provide. I was truly surprised at the difference.

I might also add that I love the general look of the Kuro much more than the Sammy. I love how the speakers look attached to the side....even though they will never be used.

I'm really looking forward to D-Nice's review so I can take a look at his settings on the Kuro, but for the time being, I'm being blown away. I'm really excited to see what the set can do after a full break-in and better calibration. Thanks again to Robert and Wendy at VE; your service is always top notch!

HD DVD - 60
Blu-Ray - Lost Count
post #1604 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM

Just ordered myself a 151 and 05FD from Russwong's contact. This will be my 2nd time dealing with them (first was a 110FD). Said to expect delivery by Friday next week!!! You all can count on plenty of pics once received!

Praying I get a third pixel-perfect Kuro... (110 and 6010 were both perfect).
post #1605 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 11:38 AM

Liked: 13
Hey All;
Expecting a 151FD delivery on Tuesday, keeping my fingers crossed in terms of getting a good panel free from the small flaws. But I see a lot of people mention the TV looks great out the box, are these the default settings people are talking about that looks great? I ask since I know D-Nice has not had the unit yet to post good settings. I own a 5265F Samsung LCD right now and look forward to moving to plasma. If the TV looks great out the box that'd be great, I'd just leave the calibrations alone until accucal comes out to do the proper calibrations.....I only plan on using the break in disc if I see flaws like stuck pixels or blotchy screen as others have described. After talking with Jeff @ accucal, it's clear he is not in support of the break in process. Thanks in advance to people who can answer the questions above.
post #1606 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Shipping today
1.5 weeks (or so) after I receive it.

D-Nice

Took almost full 24 hrs to go through the many old posts. First I see that you think the 9g are good for 4 yrs before you can think of upgrading your TV. That makes me feel better too b/c I badly want to get one of the 9G`s but then I thought I will be missing some revolutionary changes in the next 10G`s.

Still one question remains unanswered. Why did you pick the 151FD over 6020?

Personally,I feel that If i get the elite,then I better go for the 141FD b/c it is thinner and may be sliiightly better than 151FD.

What do you think?
post #1607 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

ima no dnice but for anyone that wants the absolute best choices that the elites give you with the extra settings/options to give you the best pq on your new panel it is an easy choice over the regular kuros. yes you do pay a $1k premium but thats the price you pay for your choice.

the 141 may give you even more controls/settings options and be the ultimate 9G kuro panel for the model year.

but the 10G will come and a new flurry will start...............yada yada yada....

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #1608 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem View Post

D-Nice, did you get your 111FD as of yet? When might we expect your review on it?

you missed the posts where he said the first pro111 came cracked, then the replacement pro111 came damaged so he's waiting on the third pro111 to be delivered.

1 bad 6020 and 2 bad pro111s so far just to one guy, retail $15.5K of damaged panels ouch Pioneer......

post #1609 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

ima no dnice but for anyone that wants the absolute best choices that the elites give you with the extra settings/options to give you the best pq on your new panel it is an easy choice over the regular kuros. yes you do pay a $1k premium but thats the price you pay for your choice.

the 141 may give you even more controls/settings options and be the ultimate 9G kuro panel for the model year.

but the 10G will come and a new flurry will start...............yada yada yada....

Thanks for that input...Personally I like to spend money for products but not on stuff like calibration (No disrespect to any calibrators out there)....I like to explore,read about electronics and try to do it myself. Now that doesn`t mean that I want to pull the kuro apart and try do the caibration myself. I will go with reference settings that I get from AVS forum.
The $1K is not the issue for me but if I don`t get a calibrator do I even need the elite...I dont know the answer to that .
Again $1K is not the issue ...that`s why I dont even mind getting the 141Fd for a higher price if some one tells me the picture in the 141FD would be better with the refernce settings.
post #1610 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM

First time poster

Just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to all the people out there who took the time to contribute to the forums, so THANK YOU!

I just got my PRO-111FD yesterday and I have say WOW! Its just stunning

No dead or stuck pixels, does have the "dirty screen" effect but I've been running the breakin images from USB for about 16 hours now and its already fixed it up alot. Mixed in a couple scenes from Ratatouille and Toy Story 2 last night, it looked unreal. Caught the end of Harry Potter on HBO-HD too, perfect scene with dark blacks and bright spots mixed together.

I do have a buzz when I put my head behind the panel, but its only audible from the front if i'm like 2 feet in front of the screen. Can't here it at all if any further away. Side note: I think you can get a sunburn if you sit within a foot or 2 of this panel, thing generates alot of heat, haha. Prolly not so different from the rest of the panels out there though.

Question:
Can anyone recommend a wall mount for this tv? Preferably one that tilts. I don't really plan on using the tilt, but sometimes its nice to tilt it up to be able to get at least a little access to the plugs under the back bottom. I'll be mounting to the standard 16" stub spacing.
post #1611 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 PM

So after the fiasco with my wife calling me to let me know the delivery guys set my new 151FD down on its face last night I got home late and was able to spend a short time with it. I'm not going to review the set until I've lived with it awhile, but here are my initial thoughts:

First, no buzz, no stuck pixels, no "dirty screen" effect. I seem to have a good set out of the box. I've got a computer and a TiVo running in the room so I have a fairly high ambient noise level, but I can't detect any sort of buzz from the TV.

Second, I returned a Panasonic 58PZ750U for this set. After throwing in a Blu-ray I noticed better blacks from the Pioneer right away. I haven't touched any settings on the Kuro so I won't try to compare the 2 any furher yet, other than to say that so far I am pleased I exchanged the Panny.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD 60" Plasma TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player
TiVo HD XL

"We are only immortal for a limited time."
post #1612 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

samkk,
the 141 will retail at the same msrp $6500 as the pro151. but till it's released it's to be determined as to the supply and what deals can be had on it.

even without a good calibrator the elites will give you the owner all the settings/controls in the main menu access to allow for the best pq that you can tweak out of it. those settings are in the elite menu and not hidden in the service menu or some are not even there at all on the regular kuro models.

when dnice gets his reference settings for the elites it will be easy for you as an elite owner to plug those in and get pretty darn close to a good isf calibration anyway. and then of course you can tweak them from there as you see fit to really give you the very best pq for your own eyes and viewing conditions.

the service menu access has changed for the regular kuro this year and dnice and others are checking it out to see what/how/if it can be used to get the settings needed to help tweak the panel.

post #1613 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM

i think his main question is whether a 141 will look better than a 151 with reference setting plugged into both.

from what i've read, the answer is yes, but we won't know until we see the 141 next to the 151.

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
post #1614 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBones View Post

Question:
Can anyone recommend a wall mount for this tv? Preferably one that tilts. I don't really plan on using the tilt, but sometimes its nice to tilt it up to be able to get at least a little access to the plugs under the back bottom. I'll be mounting to the standard 16" stub spacing.

FWIW- I am using a Sanus VMPL3B - It works fine for me.

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...delCode/VMPL3/

Although it does offer a tilt option, after getting the display up on the wall using the "low profile" mount option (which I think mounts it 1.25" from the wall), I decided that I liked the look and didn't need the tilt function so I just stored the tilt arms (which would have increased the distance from the display to the wall to 2.5" I believe).
post #1615 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Well, just got a reply from Michael Gardiner to an email I sent him asking about jscreenfix.

The pertinent part of his reply was; "From what you describe, it sounds as if you have a pixel which can
display red and green colour segments but not blue. Unfortunately my
software fixes stuck pixels on LCD screens and is unlikely to solve
your problem."

I can't take the chance, or afford, to pay for shipping both ways to exchange it, nor can I afford the time/effort involved in carting it to NY from Vermont myself.

So....unless I want to have a Pio tech come over and hope that he "feels my pain" it looks like I will be learning to live with the pixel that doesn't work on blue, and the one below it that flashes white occasionally.

Not what I was expecting from such an expensive, at least to me, purchase.

I will be wiser in a few years or so when I make another such purchase. Local B&M or no-questions return policy only.
post #1616 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukFilm View Post

Thanks for the post, I just called them and they were able to offer me a great price (even including taxes) which beat sponsor's pricing, so if you haven't bought it yet, give them a call. I will pick it up and be able to INSPECT the panel before paying for it which is worth quite a bit of money in and of itself.

Glad to hear they did right by you and gave you a good price. I didn't see your response until after I replied to your PM.

Scott

Scott Shearer
post #1617 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroamer View Post

I can't take the chance, or afford, to pay for shipping both ways to exchange it, nor can I afford the time/effort involved in carting it to Scarsdale, NY from Vermont myself.

So....unless I want to have a Pio tech come over and hope that he "feels my pain" it looks like I will be learning to live with the pixel that doesn't work on blue, and the one below it that flashes white occasionally.

Not what I was expecting from such an expensive, at least to me, purchase.

I will be wiser in a few years or so when I make another such purchase. Local B&M or no-questions return policy only.

call and get a service tech sent out to look at your pro111 and hopefully with robert/VEs help you can get a replacement panel under warranty from Pioneer.

there was an avs thread just recently where an pro110 owner got his panel replaced for one dead pixel. it did take some effort and time, think he even filed a complaint with his local bbb and also help from roman o and his elite dealer, but Pioneer did finally replace his panel for the one pixel problem.

good luck.

post #1618 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the pro111 and two SA 8300 cable boxes. When sent to pass through the boxes send 720P when tuned to Fox or ABC HD. The image is soft, almost to the point where it could be described as blurry. If I switch the boxes to upconvert 1 (1080i), the FOX and ABC channels look fine.

To experiment further, I forced my Blu Ray player and Dish Network HD receiver to output 720P only. I had similar poor quality images also.

Am I doing something wrong or is the pro111 just not good with a 720P signal?
post #1619 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Heres some pics as requested of my 151

Spot between them is in the movie

post #1620 of 30627 Old 07-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neobunch View Post

Thanks again for your feedback, nbb1. So you're saying that you have the A/V offset at 110ms and the lag setting at 113ms?

Yes. That's it if "offset" is the first test that goes from left to right, and lag setting is the second and goes from top to bottom. I forget the names if they're not right in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neobunch View Post

One thing, though, have you tried running your tv directly from the console?

No, not yet. I will try it to experiment, but for the sake of simplicity *cough*my wife*cough*, I'll probably leave it as is in the long run and let the Onkyo handle the video switching. I'll post my results here when I get around to the experimenting.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page