The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZaft View Post

edit: DOh, I just noticed that this is the wrong thread, sorry about that.

No biggie. You can delete if you want. Simply copy before deleting and past into the other one. Still would like to know what you plan on watching first. For me, it's always cool to pick something I know would look and sound good.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Not even time to take off the "Kuro" sticker! Funny, I think most of the pictures shows them with their stickers on. I know you'll get more pictures to us later.

What do you plan on watching first?

Heh, if you notice I haven't even put on the sound bar either. I just ran home, made the delivery guy help me to put it up and turn it on, then snapped the pictures and left.

About what to watch first...hmm...I got a PS3 last week for this very reason, but I'm not sure yet, heh. Maybe I'll be joining the Planet Earth crowd, I'll make sure to post about it
post #153 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsamish09 View Post

Thebarnman,

EXCITEMENT !!!!

Andy,
That is not an elite is it? The elite stand is shorter/has no chicken legs.
Congratulations on your set.

You are correct, it's just a 6020. I moved the post to the proper place.
Thanks btw
post #154 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM

For me,post break-in:

Apocalypto or 300 or Shoot "Em Up on BR

Or AvP maybe on dvd

edit: forgot, ordered Planet Earth br on sat. may be the best.
post #155 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The Best Buy at the Market Place has one set up. I think currently they are running a Blu-ray sampler disc.

Yeah, I expected some buzz. I am okay with it. The only time when it is noticeable is when it's a WHITE screen. Also, I should mention that there was NO other sound on, just the TV, so I am assuming that even if there was a bright white screen while watching a movie, the sound from the movie will make that buzz disappear anyway. But, like I said, it's noticeable only if you are listening for it really.

Focused One, The few scenes from different movies I've already popped in already have me absolutely floored and appreciative of the upgrade from the XBR5, so I really look forward to having some good, quality time with the set after the break-in is done.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #156 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 09:56 AM

How about some pictures of your setup......Aetherhole
post #157 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Will do that later today, ham. I am working so after I am done, I will get them taken and posted here, for sure!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #158 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

The Best Buy at the Market Place has one set up. I think currently they are running a Blu-ray sampler disc.

Yeah, I expected some buzz. I am okay with it. The only time when it is noticeable is when it's a WHITE screen. Also, I should mention that there was NO other sound on, just the TV, so I am assuming that even if there was a bright white screen while watching a movie, the sound from the movie will make that buzz disappear anyway. But, like I said, it's noticeable only if you are listening for it really.

Focused One, The few scenes from different movies I've already popped in already have me absolutely floored and appreciative of the upgrade from the XBR5, so I really look forward to having some good, quality time with the set after the break-in is done.

Prepare to be consistently amazed!

I miss my 151 already, can't wait for the replacement.

Kuro'd
post #159 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZaft View Post

You are correct, it's just a 6020. I moved the post to the proper place.
Thanks btw

JUST a 6020? Your 6020 is better than 99% of the televisions out there!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #160 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Final prep!

I'm home early today and one of the last things I had to do (based on reading the FD151 owners manual) is lay down a towel on a table so that the stand can be added without scratching the elegant Acrylic Bezel.

And to combat the red toned images that my (now cheap!) digital camera all of a sudden decided to do on it's own, I'll be turning those images into B&W. Doesn't look too bad, and it's different! MGM Lion? Maybe my towel is giving me hints on what to watch. No way man, it's going to be the break-in disc!!!

At the time of this post, the delivery people can be here anywhere from one, to three hours from now. Now I'm just hoping that the 113 degree heat does not wreck havoc with the 151FD.

post #161 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 PM

When I placed the TV on the stand, I did it the way the instructions recommended and placed the monitor face down on several leather couch cushions. I figured that they did this because the holes would only line up when the stand posts were inserted a certain distance into the post holes. However, I found out that the posts bottom out in the post holes, so I am thinking that I might just lift the monitor (with help) over the completed stand and onto the posts this time and be done with it. To me, this seems like it might be less risky than placing the monitor face down.

Kuro'd
post #162 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedOne View Post

so I am thinking that I might just lift the monitor (with help) over the completed stand and onto the posts this time and be done with it. To me, this seems like it might be less risky than placing the monitor face down.

This is what I did with the 6020
post #163 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, my brother and I lifted the panel directly onto the stand and had no problems with it that way. I didn't like the idea of laying the panel flat on it's face even though it's in the instructions.

post #164 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I'm sold

Kuro'd
post #165 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got mine!

Buzz..I have to be one foot or less to hear a slight buzz. Other than that, I can't even hear it. Even with the full white screen the sound does not change. In fact, I can hear the refrigerator over any noise the 151FD "might" be making. I'll have to wait till the refrigerator stops before doing some more listening tests.

No dead or stuck pixels that I can see (yet). And I have not really looked all that closely to see if I can find one or not.

The only thing I can see that MIGHT be a problem is what looks like a dirty screen with solid color images. Almost looks like patterns (and what looks like a streak or two, but not like a totally straight lighter line of a streak) light and dark that don't change with changes in solid color images. I'm sure it's not anything I would notice with "normal" video signals.

Does anyone know if this could be a pattern on the break-in disc? More than likely, it's the screen. In fact, I think I have read about the "dirty screen" look, though I don't know much about what's been said about it.

What's funny, is the delivery guys were wondering about the break-in disc. They were seeing wavy lines (or maybe it's just the movement one sees when close to the screen) and such from the DVD (only component connections) So I though "ok, I'll show them a straight digital signal" so I hooked up a HDMI cable to the 151FD, turned on the DirecTV receiver and had them change the input for me. There it was, a GREAT looking image of some NFL action. Somehow I must have pressed a series of buttons that made my recording of the Superbowl play (Fox 720P to 1080P) cause I saw the time bars along the bottom of the screen. So how that happened, I don't know. What I do know, is that it looked great and I did not notice any "dirty screen" effect with the "regular" video content.

Later, I expect to have some images to share and a surprise or two within this Elite thread! But that won't come for at least the next few hours. I've got a lot of cleaning up to do to take care of the mess that was involved with the arrival of the 151FD.

post #166 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, my batteries ran out (on my now cheap) digital camera in the middle of the delivery! I had the guys wait for a moment till I could pop in another battery so I could continue to shoot. I charged both of them up in the last day of getting ready for this. And the 2nd one ran out pretty quickly too! So I guess it's time to get new rechargeable battery packs!

post #167 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

I got mine today! I'm running the Break-In right now! I did some initial set-up and calibrations with DVE-HD (Blu-ray) and popped in a few disks before I started the break-in DVD.

Beautiful set, to say the least. I think people who are going to be getting this set will be thoroughly pleased.

Now as a little background on me and how this all came about... I got an 52XBR5 about 7 months ago which was replacing a Sony 60A2000 SXRD set. I was generally very pleased with the XBR5, but as the time went on, a couple things really haunted me badly. One was motion lag, motion detail resolve and another was black levels. On top of the motion lag, I would get a little bit of red color lag that was only noticeable on very rare occasions. No matter what I did, I could not get the set to where I truly loved it. If I got the punch I was looking for from the set, the overall black level was sacrificed. If I got the black level I could settle for, the picture was a lot dimmer than I liked. After much deliberation, I finally decided to jump into the Plasma section of this forum. It really did not take long before I got into looking continuously at the 8th gen Pioneer threads and really piqued my interest. After a short little time, they announced the 9th gen and with the darker black levels, thinner panel, better contrast, colors, etc. I knew I needed to get one. Well, here I am, after a short period of waiting, I finally got the 151 into my home.

My brother and I assembled the stand, placed the panel on the stand and set it on my entertainment center all within about 30 minutes and I fired it up just to make sure nothing was drastically wrong with it, then I had to pack up my XBR5 and haul that to my brothers and help him set up. After a long time over at his place getting his system up, I came home and finally got time to adjust the set a bit and then run a few scenes before I initialized the Break-In sequences.

I will be watching normal content (movies and TV shows) periodically, but I will generally be running the Break-In sequence.

I am VERY excited! My brief experience thus far has already given me worlds more satisfaction than ANY other display unit I've used since I started this hobby.

Probably tomorrow, I will be posting pictures of my set. My camera is in my room where my wife is sleeping and I don't want to wake her up just to get it. Look for some pictures and screen shots from me tomorrow!

Congrats Aetherhole. Enjoy
post #168 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Thebarnman. Waiting for your pics. I hope you center that pic above the 151. That would drive me crazy.
post #169 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Me too.
And I think this is the smartest way to do it.
When I had 2 6020's delivered last year that would not power up becasue of busted internal glass, Before trying to power them on I layed them on top of my table that had a comforter on top of it.
I still wonder if I somehow damaged them by laying them face down on that table.
This time when I recieved my 6020 I assembled the stand prior to taking the TV out of the box. Once it was assembled, I layed it on the ground next to box that the 6020 was in. We both lifted the 6020 out of the box, aligned the two posts on the stand up to the holes in the 6020, and then slowly brought the 6020 down until the stand was atttached. Then I put the screws in that secure the stand to the 6020.
I would highly recommend doing it this way. This way you dont have to worry about tipping the set over or possibly damaging it.
post #170 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Ordered my 151 today

I know that I really shouldn't be clogging up the forum with information that is worthless to everyone else but I'm excited and needed to tell someone!
post #171 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Dnice-

Any information on accessing the SM on the non-elites?

Paul
post #172 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like my 110FD god old fast, you all enjoy your new PDP's
post #173 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Earlier I started using D-Nice's break-in settings with the break-in disc. So I'm going to start the timing of the 150 hours at 4:30pm.

10pm Monday (AZ time) I'll be checking out some regular video.

post #174 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

Congrats Thebarnman. Waiting for your pics. I hope you center that pic above the 151. That would drive me crazy.

The off centerness can drive me off too...if I think about it and look at it! When I first moved in (about 15 years ago) if I remember correctly, I had different furniture and I believe at that time it was centered above my very old Proton Monitor.

Now more than ever I have a chance to change the position of the picture. Right now though it's at the bottom of my priority list. I think one day I will change that since it does bug me now and then. (but only for a moment!)

post #175 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Using D-Nice's settings, I notice that the dirty screen look is not as noticeable. I'm not sure if it will go away, however I think with normal video content, I'll never notice it.

Oh, when the refrigerator turns off, I did notice a very tiny amount of buzz at my normal listening position 13' or so. It's hardly noticeable at all though and I have to be so square in front of the path of the screen. I can turn my head a tiny bit or move just a tiny bit and I can hardly hear it, if at all. The buzz is definitely not excessive. In fact, when I get closer to the screen, I can still hardly hear it. And because of this, I'm not even sure if it's the screen. I'm noticing a lot of ambient noise now that I've tried to listen for a buzz. I know darn well I would not be able to hear any buzz or the refrigerator with the audio on too.

I'm still doing some cleaning and straightening up and probably will not be posting pictures till very very late tonight. In fact, I know it will be well past midnight once I can get around to posting.

post #176 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec View Post

I'll help you upgrade by buying it

bob
post #177 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Congrats on all the new kuros.

Still waiting. I keep looking at the spot where it's gonna go. If I close my eyes tight enough I can almost achieve Kuro blackness.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #178 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Me too.
And I think this is the smartest way to do it.
When I had 2 6020's delivered last year that would not power up becasue of busted internal glass, Before trying to power them on I layed them on top of my table that had a comforter on top of it.
I still wonder if I somehow damaged them by laying them face down on that table.
This time when I recieved my 6020 I assembled the stand prior to taking the TV out of the box. Once it was assembled, I layed it on the ground next to box that the 6020 was in. We both lifted the 6020 out of the box, aligned the two posts on the stand up to the holes in the 6020, and then slowly brought the 6020 down until the stand was atttached. Then I put the screws in that secure the stand to the 6020.
I would highly recommend doing it this way. This way you dont have to worry about tipping the set over or possibly damaging it.

You would think the stand would come attached. No biggie i guess.
post #179 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec View Post

I still love my 110. I'll have to stop reading these 9G threads though lest I get upgraditis...
post #180 of 30482 Old 06-17-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Congrats on all the new kuros.

Still waiting. I keep looking at the spot where it's gonna go. If I close my eyes tight enough I can almost achieve Kuro blackness.

Man if i close my eyes i can almost hear those logans
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page