The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 611 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18301 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just cruising around the Option menu on my new 111 and found a page two which had a Room Lighting Sensor option that was set to Mode 1 rather than Off. Has anyone checked this out - it surprised me that it was engaged - seems like it should be off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18302 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

SD? SD? You have FIOS and you watch SD????

I have not watched SD since I installed FIOS almost a year ago!!! If it is not on an HD channel - I don't watch it. There are almost 100 HD channels, what could you possibly need to view in SD???

Life is too short to watch SD

BTW, I have the same DVR. I send my 141 1080i and I use ADVANCED for everything, unless it burps & farts, then I flip that program/movie over to STANDARD. At the conclusion, I go back to ADVANCED.

It has to be really bad, though. Since I need to use CC to make the switch.

I'm with you on this one! I have Dish Network and I've been with the all-HD package for two years now.

I must confess though that I, like progprog, am a news junkie and I prefer FOX NEWS over the other 24/7 news channels,. But even though they offer it in HD Dish Network forces you to spend at least $30 a month on a big SD bundle in order to receive the FOX NEWS HD channel so I'm forcing myself to watch CNN for news (which is in HD). Bummer! I can't wait for the day when EVERYTHING will be at least 1080i.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #18303 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

Few other quick notes. The antiglare coating on this panel is unbelievable. I have a bay window that lies perpendicular to the panel and it handles glare nicely(exponentially better than my RP LCD). Build date is April 2009. No functionality issues to note. Screen is perfect, not one dead pixel to speak of

I can't wait to finish break-in period. Also, I have Wide-zoom selected to fill screen when watching 4:3 material but it still seems to have bars on sides?

First of all, I too have NO ISSUES (dead pixels or otherwise) with my set, which has an October 2008 build date.

If you are experiencing bars on the sides you need to choose:

1) Wide for SD signals

2) Wide 1 or 2 for HD signals

That should take care of that problem.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #18304 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson25 View Post

Oh, well thats a lot easier haha. Ugh im retarded. I'm about 110 hours in to the breakin process right now. I really wanna play some video games but im kind of afraid to because of what happened before. After 150 hours or so should I be okay to watch movies with black bars and play games that have stationary graphics on the screen? I just wanna be as careful as I can.

i watched bd's with black bars and played video games the first day i got my tv. nothing magical happens at 150 hrs. you spent alot of money on your tv - enjoy it.
post #18305 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

heatwave3

So, are you going to recommend, STANDARD instead of SMOOTH, for D-NICE modified ISF-Auto?

I watch at least 95% HD from TWC and when I need a news fix it's SD and looks like skid marks! I won't say if it's FOX News or CNN (Republican or Democrat)

Man,, I really like how SMOOTH cleared up TWC overall, but,, if STANDARD can do a better job, I'll tear out the gear and redo-it.

HH
post #18306 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

heatwave3

So, are you going to recommend, STANDARD instead of SMOOTH, for D-NICE modified ISF-Auto?

I watch at least 95% HD from TWC and when I need a news fix it's SD and looks like skid marks! I won't say if it's FOX News or CNN (Republican or Democrat)

Man,, I really like how SMOOTH cleared up TWC overall, but,, if STANDARD can do a better job, I'll tear out the gear and redo-it.

HH

Have you tried STANDARD with your cable box? I think these things are so signal/tuner dependent that you really have to try each on your own system. Rather than go to the trouble of changing it in ControlCAL, you could first use PURE (or another AV mode) just for the purpose of comparing PC modes on your SD channels.
post #18307 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The Dark Night(HD) premiered tonight on HBO. PQ is the best I've seen on any panel. Could not believe what I was watching. My panel is only 1.5 days old and I know it'll get better with age, but I can't understand how it can be better than what I just saw.

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #18308 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Dark Night(HD) premiered tonight on HBO. PQ is the best I've seen on any panel. Could not believe what I was watching. My panel is only 1.5 days old and I know it'll get better with age, but I can't understand how it can be better than what I just saw.

Watch the BD , HBO HD @1080i has NOTHING on BD & 1080/24p...it aint even close.
post #18309 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the help with the tuner guys, with the new update/firmware installed, everything works perfect again!

Another quick question, why is it when I change the screen size to "FULL" but when I switch sometimes to another channel it goes back to "AUTO" ? Is there a setting Im missing or something? Thanks!
post #18310 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 09:53 PM

with an elite can you have different picture setting (contrast, color, etc) using pure mode for different inputs, like input 4, 5 or 6. or is it when you change inputs the picture controls just carry over to the next setting.
post #18311 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Watch the BD , HBO HD @1080i has NOTHING on BD & 1080/24p...it aint even close.

I'm watching TDK on HBO right now, having seen it on BD several times. While the DD 5.1 audio doesn't quite measure up, the video is amazingly good for a cable TV signal. Probably the best I've ever seen. (But yeah, Joe, you do need to watch it on BD at some point. The overal audio and video experience is as good as it gets for home theater.)
post #18312 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasAV View Post

Thanks for the help with the tuner guys, with the new update/firmware installed, everything works perfect again!

Another quick question, why is it when I change the screen size to "FULL" but when I switch sometimes to another channel it goes back to "AUTO" ? Is there a setting Im missing or something? Thanks!

Yes. You need to turn Auto-Size OFF. (Menu>Setup>Option>Auto-Size)
post #18313 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb05 View Post

with an elite can you have different picture setting (contrast, color, etc) using pure mode for different inputs, like input 4, 5 or 6. or is it when you change inputs the picture controls just carry over to the next setting.

All the AV modes except STANDARD are universal over all inputs. (I.e., however you set PURE, for example, those are the PURE settings for any input where you use it.) If you get the ISF modes activated, they can also be set independently for each input.
post #18314 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

All the AV modes except STANDARD are universal over all inputs. (I.e., however you set PURE, for example, those are the PURE settings for any input where you use it.) If you get the ISF modes activated, they can also be set independently for each input.

are you saying that using pure mode and i set my contrast to 40 on input 1, then i change to input 2 and set contrast to 37 the display will remember those DIFFERENT setting, and they will hold for each DIFFERENT input.
post #18315 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 PM

i just tried setting contrast to 37 on input 1 ( thats with my blu-ray ) then when i change to input 2 for a different source lets say dvd player, i checked the contrast for input 2 and it was 40. the setting didnt hold (contrast 37) going from one input too another.
post #18316 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

are you saying that using pure mode and i set my contrast to 40 on input 1, then i change to input 2 and set contrast to 37 the display will remember those DIFFERENT setting, and they will hold for each DIFFERENT input.

No, sorry I wasn't clear. STANDARD is the only AV mode for which you can have different settings for each input. PURE and all the others are universal across all inputs. (ISF modes, when activated, also allow for input-specific settings, but have the caveat that those settings are "locked" and you have to use ControlCAL to change them.)
post #18317 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:

No, sorry I wasn't clear. STANDARD is the only AV mode for which you can have different settings for each input. PURE and all the others are universal across all inputs. (ISF modes, when activated, also allow for input-specific settings, but have the caveat that those settings are "locked" and you have to use ControlCAL to change them.)

ok so your saying in controlcal if i set my contrast to 37 in isf-day in input 1, i can then set contrast to 40 in input 2, and the display will remember those setting when switching back and forth between those inputs. and only get the independent memory with controlcal
post #18318 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok so your saying in controlcal if i set my contrast to 37 in isf-day in input 1, i can then set contrast to 40 in input 2, and the display will remember those setting when switching back and forth between those inputs. and only get the independent memory with controlcal

There are four AV modes that can have different picture settings (including contrast) for each input. STANDARD is available by default and can be adjusted in the user menus. ISF-Day, ISF-Night, and ISF-Auto can only be activated and adjusted using ControlCAL.
post #18319 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:

There are four AV modes that can have different picture settings (including contrast) for each input. STANDARD is available by default and can be adjusted in the user menus. ISF-Day, ISF-Night, and ISF-Auto can only be activated and adjusted using ControlCAL.

iam only using contrast as a example. what i really want to know if just the one AV mode like isf-day will remember different settings for different inputs. i don t care about other AV modes night, auto, standard. i want to have isf-day have different setting for different inputs. can i have that.
post #18320 of 30482 Old 06-13-2009, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

iam only using contrast as a example. what i really want to know if just the one AV mode like isf-day will remember different settings for different inputs. i don t care about other AV modes night, auto, standard. i want to have isf-day have different setting for different inputs. can i have that.

Yes. I think I've said that.....!
post #18321 of 30482 Old 06-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I'm watching TDK on HBO right now, having seen it on BD several times. While the DD 5.1 audio doesn't quite measure up, the video is amazingly good for a cable TV signal. Probably the best I've ever seen. (But yeah, Joe, you do need to watch it on BD at some point. The overal audio and video experience is as good as it gets for home theater.)

I don't have a BD player yet, but soon enough. I have DTV, which in most cases, provides a better signal than cable. Having said that, the PQ was stunningly fantastic. The scene where they have the joker locked(temporarily) in interrogation the room, the close up shot of his face was so detailed I had trouble following the dialog. Also while joker is walking away from the hospital as it blows in the background was fantastic(PQ) as well.

Its funny. We previously had a 50" RP LCD, before the 111FD. My wife(who by all accounts could care less about HD or not), keeps asking me, "Is this the same size as our other TV?" I replied , "Yes, why?" She said, "I can't explain it, but I find my self looking at specific parts of the screen(following the detail) that I hadn't seen before." I took that as a compliment regarding how good this panel looks She also said it makes here miss the dialog too sometimes(because focusing on picture) so we've had to rewind a bit here and there, but I can absolutely live with that

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #18322 of 30482 Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Yes. I think I've said that.....!

prog what do you think. i am dense as lead or is it even worse then that. lol
post #18323 of 30482 Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 AM

Thought i'd post a pic now that the 151 is mounted..Enjoy

post #18324 of 30482 Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 AM

Just an FYI for anyone in the Columbia, MD area, there is an open box 111FD at Best Buy. It's at a very reasonable price and I happen to know it is already properly broken in, they have it on playing telemundo, hehe. But yeah it was broken in with slides just waiting for some d-nice settings or calibration. It does have one stuck pixel, you might see it might not but with normal content at a normal viewing distance you might never notice it, and pioneer considers it characteristic of course. Anyway just popping that up there in case anyone is still looking for one, they jacked the price way back up and actually I don't think they have any in stock anyway.

Just that one and the floor model which is not for sale and probably has a lot of hours on it anyway. But yeah if you snap it up quick it has probaly 200-250 hours on it with the first 150 dont properly, no burn no other issues, picture is incredible as always.

regards'
post #18325 of 30482 Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 PM

pj121391.

Great looking clean in-wall wires install! Did you use a PowerBridge to run the power in the wall to your power conditioner?
post #18326 of 30482 Old 06-14-2009, 07:59 PM
HID

I know this has been ask before, but I have read a 143 pages and have not seen it.
Is it better to have the 111 do the upscaling and set my toshiba hd dvd, pioneer bd,
and fios box to 480i? Or put the fios and hd dvd to 1080i and pioneer to 1080p?
post #18327 of 30482 Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnuttyguy View Post

pj121391.

Great looking clean in-wall wires install! Did you use a PowerBridge to run the power in the wall to your power conditioner?

Thank you so much!!
I used a MIW-POWERKIT-PRO Panamax very similar product which intergrates with my 5300 conditioner.
post #18328 of 30482 Old 06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HID View Post

I know this has been ask before, but I have read a 143 pages and have not seen it.
Is it better to have the 111 do the upscaling and set my toshiba hd dvd, pioneer bd, and fios box to 480i? Or put the fios and hd dvd to 1080i and pioneer to 1080p?

There's no shortcut answer, as two important variables come into play. (1) The quality of any video processing, including upscaling, is judged by the PQ of its output, and PQ is always a somewhat subjective matter. "Best" is literally in the eye of the beholder. (2) Upscaling is very equipment-dependent. For some, their Kuro may very well be the best upscaler in their system. For others, it might be their BD or HD-DVD player. Or their standalone DVD player. Or their Edge processor.... So getting at the right answer to your question really depends on your specific evaluation of the performance of your specific components.

SD-DVD Upscaling: Personally, I feel that all my hi-def players outperfrom the Kuro in upscaling. After tedious comparison testing months ago, I concluded my Pioneer 95FD was the best upscaler in my system and made it my primary DVD player. Until I got an Oppo DV-983H and it edged out the Pioneer. Of all the components in my systems, which include HD-DVD players, BD players, the Oppo DVD player, a processor with excellent VP capabilities, and the Kuros, I believe the Oppo DV-983H and now the Oppo BDP-83 are the best upscalers I've ever seen. So all my DVDs are played and upscaled in one of those players, and output to the Kuro as 1080p/60. (Without those players.....it'd still be the Pioneer BD player....)

SD-TV Upscaling: The quality of SD-TV signals, and the tuners we use, varies widely. I suggest you compare the upscaling performance of your STB with that of your Kuro, using whatever SD content you watch regularly. It's best to leave the processing to one component, so don't mess with 480p from the box; send everything source direct from the box OR send everything 1080i. Just compare them a lot until you decide which looks better to you. FWIW, I prefer to send all TV signals as 1080i from my tuner. But I have Comcast digitial cable, not FiOS, so results could be very different with your signals and your equipment.
Note: This comparison is complicated by the effect of the Pure Cinema modes on the various signals; I suggest you "level the playing field" by leaving it on STANDARD while doing your comparisons. (Heatwave had a very interesting post yesterday about his comparison experiments with the PC modes and SD-TV upscaling; you may find it helpful.)
post #18329 of 30482 Old 06-15-2009, 12:55 AM

I have recently moved. In my last house my Comcast DVR. would output 480i or 1080i dependent on the program. Now in my new apartment with the same DVR everything is output at 1080i and I can't switch to 480i. Does this make any sense?
post #18330 of 30482 Old 06-15-2009, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba View Post

I have recently moved. In my last house my Comcast DVR. would output 480i or 1080i dependent on the program. Now in my new apartment with the same DVR everything is output at 1080i and I can't switch to 480i. Does this make any sense?

What DVR is it?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page