The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 614 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's a steal...

Best TV you could get for $1,000...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

I can get a 5010fd brand new for a 1000. What do you guys think?

Don't you already have a 151? I think if you're used to the performance & features of a 9G Elite, you might find an 8G NE somewhat wanting.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM

I was some what in the same boat as the guy wanting 5010FD for my other living area in the house. That is until I found out about 10g tech in the 500M/101FD. Now I'm pondering if I should purchase 500M/101FD and move my 111FD to the loft or stay in the media room...
Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactionG View Post

I was some what in the same boat as the guy wanting 5010FD for my other living area in the house. That is until I found out about 10g tech in the 500M/101FD. Now I'm pondering if I should purchase 500M/101FD and move my 111FD should go to the loft or stay in the media room...

There's no such thing as 10G. 9G is the end of the Kuro line..... (The panels you mention are 9G monitors.)
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM

What I meant is the 10g tech found in the 500M/101FD models. According to the recent posts, it seems to be the case.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Again..those are 9G monitors. The are the same generation and technology as the other 9Gs.

And you would be wrong on this topic. The 500M and 101FD are different panels compared to all other NA 9G Kuros. They have improvements that were scheduled to be in the 10G models. I'm not sure why this is so hard for some to accept.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Again..those are 9G monitors. The are the same generation and technology as the other 9Gs.

I understand they are 9g monitors. But according to some of the experts here, 500M/101FD have even blacker black levels than even the 111FD due to few parts that were going to be used on 10g had Pioneer not gotten out of the market. I need to be corrected if what I'm saying is not true.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I have a 151fd. The 5010 would be for the bedroom. It seems like a steal.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 PM

well I just got back from best buy and got an awesome deal on a new 111FD! I had a buzzer (not panel buzz, it was a loud ass buzz from the back) that pioneer refused to acknowledge, but after weeks off phone calls, they decided to give me a full refund on my set. I immediately started calling around trying to find another one and best buy hooked me up! I actually ended up making $400 on this deal....could not believe it.

Just set up the new one, quiet as a mouse!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

And you would be wrong on this topic. The 500M and 101FD are different panels compared to all other NA 9G Kuros. They have improvements that were scheduled to be in the 10G models. I'm not sure why this is so hard for some to accept.

That's not hard for me to accept. It's just the first I've ever heard of it. (Hey, I'm willing to learn new things! ) Do you mean the 500M/101 in particular, or are you referring to the 60" panels as well? Is there a post somewhere that describes these differences?

PS: I'll be happy to delete my posts to the contrary....
Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:

That's not hard for me to accept. It's just the first I've ever heard of it. (Hey, I'm willing to learn new things! ) Do you mean the 500M/101 in particular, or are you referring to the 60" panels as well? Is there a post somewhere that describes these differences?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactionG View Post

Huh? Did you mean to link posts?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:

It's been said by D-Nice that only the 500M/101FD have some of the improvements we were to see in the 10G Kuros. None of the other 9G panels (5020/6020/111/151/141/600M) have this added 10G tech.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carftopher View Post

It's been said by D-Nice that only the 500M/101FD have some of the improvements we were to see in the 10G Kuros. None of the other 9G panels (5020/6020/111/151/141/600M) have this added 10G tech.

Cool. But is there anyplace where I can read some detail on that? You've piqued my curiosity now.....
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can visit the KRP owner's thread and start reading from post #3011 forward. Play close attention to post #3039 as it contains links to the PDP module part numbers for all NA 9G Kuros. The 500M/101FD do not share the same PDP module as the 111FD. This is the only information you are allowed to see outside of Pioneer regarding said differences.... and Pioneer doesn't create different part numbers just for giggles
Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Cool. But is there anyplace where I can read some detail on that? You've piqued my curiosity now.....

D-Nice first reported it in the 500M/600M Discussion Thread. The particular quote can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16610558

The quote is followed up by turbe commenting that when putting his 500M/141FD next to each other, his 500M has deeper blacks than the 141FD.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can visit the KRP owner's thread and start reading from post #3011 forward. Play close attention to post #3039 as it contains links to the PDP module part numbers for all NA 9G Kuros. The 500M/101FD do not share the same PDP module as the 111FD. This is the only information you are allowed to see outside of Pioneer regarding said differences.... and Pioneer doesn't create different part numbers just for giggles

Thanks for the links/references! I appreciate your taking the time to find them. I'm off to exercise right now, but I'll read up on it tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carftopher View Post

D-Nice first reported it in the 500M/600M Discussion Thread. The particular quote can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16610558

The quote is followed up by turbe commenting that when putting his 500M/141FD next to each other, his 500M has deeper blacks than the 141FD.

Thanks to you too, carftopher!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I forgot you are three hours behind me. Its bedtime here.
Quote:

Thanks for the links/references! I appreciate your taking the time to find them. I'm off to exercise right now, but I'll read up on it tonight.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just read through it. Interesting stuff ....I wasn't too familiar with the KRPs beyond having heard of them here a bit. Seems like Pioneer chose an odd feature array to distinguish the various 9G lines. Any idea why they never marketed the KRPs here like the others? Or, with their unique feature set, what application they were targeting?

Oh, I now get the comment about "why it's so hard for some to accept." LoL! (Perhaps you mistook me for a certain Yankees lefty of yore? ) Anyway, I'm not so sure it was an acceptance issue....I detected the distinct smell of sour grapes several times as I read through the thread.

Quote:

I forgot you are three hours behind me. Its bedtime here.

Yes, and after getting roped into watching Gran Torino last night, I am now permanently five hours behind, since I can never, ever get those two hours back....
Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:

D-Nice, this question may have been asked so if it has I apologize. Given the 500M does not have quite the same "depth" of adjustment capability as the 111FD, what would you estimate the visible difference would be between the two if the 111FD was calibrated using its ISFcc controls and the 500M with its available controls?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
My 111 will not come on.

The standby light is on, so it has power. But it doesn't respond to the cable remote, or its own. I tried hitting the power buttton on the panel itself as well. I unplugged it for a few minutes and then plugged it back in; still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
I'm reposting these owner calibration reports here so that other owner's will have a chance to read them. They've also been added to the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psufan5 View Post

Gregg Loewen from LionAV was here yesterday to calibrate my Pioneer Elite. The only thing I can really say about the calibration is "WOW". It is nearly impossible to explain the difference between pure with D-Nice settings and an ISFccc calibration. The picture is so much brighter and everything is spot on. Plus the picture is no longer yellow and washed out!

Highly recommend Gregg for any of your calibration needs. Also quite the educational experience - everything was explained in great detail! Anyone who doesnt think there is a difference between normal calibration and ISFccc professional calibration is blind!

Very happy camper

psufan5 has an Elite PRO-111FD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post

I've been enjoying the professional ISF calibration on my Elite PRO-111FD for a few weeks now so I'm overdue in giving my report.

Gregg Loewen did my calibration and he did a great job. He arrived on time and was very professional and personable. He explained what he was doing and gladly answered all my questions.

The before and after results are stunning. The ISFccc Day/Night modes are a huge improvement. I use the ISF Night mode almost exclusively.

Everyone who has seen my TV is extremely impressed.

If anyone is on the fence about having their TV professionally calibrated -- just do it.

Gregg does not normally visit my area (San Antonio) so I feel honored to have had him do my calibration. I will use one of his affiliated partners (Doug Weil) who tours Texas when it comes time for a calibration tune-up.

Thanks Gregg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post

Back on 5/28/09 Gregg Loewen calibrated my 111. Prior to this I had just recently finished the break in period using the thumb drive files and then had been using D-Nice' general calibration. The display looked great but I work with color copiers and know the true value of calibrating those units for best picture reproduction. The same goes along with these displays.

Gregg calibrated 2 inputs (that is all I use) for Pure, ISF Night and Day. Out of the box and prior to using D-Nices calibration, both my better half and I thought it had a little too much red. The intial changes made pulled some red out, but Gregg pulled even more red out without my ever mentioning anything.

The final outcome was fantastic. HD Sports stations are amazing. At the time I had a Pioneer 51 BD player. I just returned that unit and replaced it with the Oppo 83. Gregg instructed me on how to adjust the contrast on the new player and poof, the display is perfect!! I just finshed watching Hellboy II and the reds in a movie that relies on a red character looked completely natural, not overpowering in any way. The next test will be The Dark Knight.

I opted for the Pioneer Elite over the Panasonic G10 series and then opted for Gregg over BB for calibrating. I do not regret either decision. You get what you pay for, and Gregg is defiantely at the top of this profession !!! He explained everything that he was doing and took the time to answer any questions that I had. He even continued helping after the visit to assist in the tweaking of the different BD player than the player that was here at the time. I would recomend him to anyone that is considering a calibration!!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

My 111 will not come on.

The standby light is on, so it has power. But it doesn't respond to the cable remote, or its own. I tried hitting the power buttton on the panel itself as well. I unplugged it for a few minutes and then plugged it back in; still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

After several minutes it suddenly seems to be working again. Does anyone have experience with something like this?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

After several minutes it suddenly seems to be working again. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

That sounds like what electronics do when they overheat. Do you suppose that was a possibility?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Hey everyone, I own the 111 and i have a Denon 2809ci receiver. I just bought a wii today. I will be getting a component video cable in the mail either tomorrow or the next day. The component cable of course has 3 connectors for video (red, white, green) and two for audio (red and white) Is that all I need for my home theater or do I need any more cables (RCA). How exactly do I hook this up? The rest of the home theater has been connected for over 6 months now.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarek87 View Post

Hey everyone, I own the 111 and i have a Denon 2809ci receiver. I just bought a wii today. I will be getting a component video cable in the mail either tomorrow or the next day. The component cable of course has 3 connectors for video (red, white, green) and two for audio (red and white) Is that all I need for my home theater or do I need any more cables (RCA). How exactly do I hook this up? The rest of the home theater has been connected for over 6 months now.

That 5-cable set is actually a combined component/audio set. The first three cables (in the set) are for video and, as you noted, they are color coded. Hook the appropriate colors to the component input jacks on the 111FD. The last two cables, the red and white pair, are your audio cables, and need to be connected to the L/R audio jacks on the 111FD.

This connects the Wii directly to your Kuro. Alternately, you could connect it through the receiver, with those same cables similarly connected to a set of component jacks & their associated audio jacks on the 2809.

As a side note: Does the Wii not have HDMI out? If it does, that is usually a better connection approach.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

That doesn't quite make sense to me. If it is set to 1080i, what signals does that apply to? As I recall, I had to play with options on a cable box for my folks and there was a separate setting for 480i signals, kind of hidden in a separate non-user-looking menu. (I can look that up and see if I can find it.) Are you sure you can't make it upscale 480i to 1080i?

If indeed the box won't upscale, then the Kuro will. In which case, you'd want to try different Pure Cinema modes to see what you like best. I would try all of them, using an SD movie channel.

EDIT: Alex, I just looked up that box, and what I read seemed to confirm what I thought about those boxes. Unless you specifically engage the 4:3 override in the User Setiings, it should be upscaling your SD channels to 1080i if that's the output you've selected. (See this setup guide.) You can check this with the Kuro. Making sure that HDMI output is set to 1080i and the 4:3 override is not engaged in the cable box, select an SD channel. When you press the "Display" button for your Kuro, it will tell you the resolution of the incoming signal.

Thanks. The 4:3 override was set to 480i, which says "is recommended". So, what happened was that on ALL SD channels, it outputs in 480i, and in all HD channels it outpus in 1080i. I confirmed this by checking the display setting via Kuro remote.

I am gonna try turning that override off to see what happens.

Thnx

Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD, Elite BDP-05FD, Elite 72TXV, B&W 805/XTC/M1.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Hello to all, I have started looking into the PRO-151FD because I have found some very good pricing on them. I just have a few questions and concerns. I'm not a huge A/V guy so is this t.v. going to be a little much for me to handle with the setting and such, also I play a fair amount of xbox and watch a lot of sports center and such so will burn in be any concern?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:

That 5-cable set is actually a combined component/audio set. The first three cables (in the set) are for video and, as you noted, they are color coded. Hook the appropriate colors to the component input jacks on the 111FD. The last two cables, the red and white pair, are your audio cables, and need to be connected to the L/R audio jacks on the 111FD.

This connects the Wii directly to your Kuro. Alternately, you could connect it through the receiver, with those same cables similarly connected to a set of component jacks & their associated audio jacks on the 2809.

As a side note: Does the Wii not have HDMI out? If it does, that is usually a better connection approach.

No, the wii doesn't have an HDMI output, it can only go up to 480p with component video. I have always been a Nintendo guy and even though it can't hit 1080p like PS3, I can't imagine not being able to play the new Mario and Zelda games and Super Smash Brothers etc. Thanks very much for dumbing down the instructions, I am not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to setting things up

Which are the associated audio jacks on the 2809? Would they be the Front L and Front R? Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarek87 View Post

No, the wii doesn't have an HDMI output, it can only go up to 480p with component video. I have always been a Nintendo guy and even though it can't hit 1080p like PS3, I can't imagine not being able to play the new Mario and Zelda games and Super Smash Brothers etc. Thanks very much for dumbing down the instructions, I am not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to setting things up

Which are the associated audio jacks on the 2809? Would they be the Front L and Front R? Thanks

Select one of the sets of component inputs, either "DVD," "HDP," or "TV/CBL" on your 2809. Then in the next row down, all those sets of red & white jacks, plug the red & white audio cables from your Wii into the associated set in the "AUDIO" section of jacks (they'll be one of the first three sets on the left- DVD, HDP, or TV/CBL).

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread