The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 617 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18481 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

My gut reaction is that your cable or its connectors are causing issues, but it would take some experimentation to confirm that.

Like I said I will put in an sd dvd movie and test that first. I just put in sd dvd "Remember the Titans" and it is still same problem. How can I can test for loose hdmi connector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18482 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM2008 View Post

Like I said I will put in an sd dvd movie and test that first. I just put in sd dvd "Remember the Titans" and it is still same problem. How can I can test for loose hdmi connector?

See my last post. (Also, when running through the receiver, make sure that your receiver is set to "pass through" for the input that's connected to the Oppo. It occurred to me that the receiver could be trying to do something with the signal. It shouldn't be doing any processing at all.)
post #18483 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman808 View Post

I just wanted to say that Unforgiven is a great movie and my hands down favorite Eastwood movie. The Man With No Name trilogy is right below that. Some of his more current stuff is kinda...

Different strokes for different folks... Torino is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long while.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18484 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:

See my last post. (Also, when running through the receiver, make sure that your receiver is set to "pass through" for the input that's connected to the Oppo. It occurred to me that the receiver could be trying to do something with the signal. It shouldn't be doing any processing at all.)

Thank you Proprog. I am afraid it may be the loose hdmi output from my receiver. I am testing the same dvd right now and will test other sd dvd music video and sd dvd movie plugging from Oppo to tv.

If my hdmi is loose. Is there a way to jam it tight with something? or this hdmi output slot is useless now with my receiver. Also I don't know much about audio, but if I hook up Oppo hdmi to tv and multi channel using analog cables, will that loose the sound quality? Or hdmi is only for convenience of reducing cables? if I have a receiver with hdmi 1.3v, will hooking up analog cables to this receiver will not be able to achieve loseless sound?
post #18485 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you Proprog. I am afraid it may be the loose hdmi output from my receiver. I am testing the same dvd right now and will test other sd dvd music video and sd dvd movie plugging from Oppo to tv.

If my hdmi is loose. Is there a way to jam it tight with something? or this hdmi output slot is useless now with my receiver. Also I don't know much about audio, but if I hook up Oppo hdmi to tv and multi channel using analog cables, will that loose the sound quality? Or hdmi is only for convenience of reducing cables? if I have a receiver with hdmi 1.3v, will hooking up analog cables to this receiver will not be able to achieve loseless sound?

Hmm...so these DVDs play fine when connecting directly to the Kuro? This still doesn't conclusively implicate the HDMI connector, since it apparently outputs your other content (BDs) just fine. (I don't recall if you said you have other video cources coming through the receiver....they would be sharing that same HDMI connection as well.)

If other sources, or other content from the Oppo, plays fine, I'm actully leaning more toward a settings conflict between the Oppo and the receiver.

To answer your last question, the only other way to get the lossless audio from your blu-rays would be to run analog audio cables from the Oppo to the receiver.
post #18486 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Yeah, I am confused now. Bluray discs played fine with output resolution set at auto. I also hook up hdmi cable to receiver out to tv. So if I have a loose connector than these two sources should have been a problem too.

It is so frustrating because when I begin playing these sd dvd videos, it played fine for about 1/2 to 1hr than it starting to go blank on and off. I am not sure why it has to be 1/2 to 1hr than the problem started to happen. I then turn everything off the next day, it will be the same, playing sd dvd music video 1/2 to 1hr than it started again. I first thought the sound play loud enough to vibrate the cable and loosen it. since the hdmi cable output slot already is loose.

Quote:

Hmm...so these DVDs play fine when connecting directly to the Kuro? This still doesn't conclusively implicate the HDMI connector, since it apparently outputs your other content (BDs) just fine. (I don't recall if you said you have other video cources coming through the receiver....they would be sharing that same HDMI connection as well.)

If other sources, or other content from the Oppo, plays fine, I'm actully leaning more toward a settings conflict between the Oppo and the receiver.

To answer your last question, the only other way to get the lossless audio from your blu-rays would be to run analog audio cables from the Oppo to the receiver.

post #18487 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I am confused now. Bluray discs played fine with output resolution set at auto. I also hook up hdmi cable to receiver out to tv. So if I have a loose connector than these two sources should have been a problem too.

It is so frustrating because when I begin playing these sd dvd videos, it played fine for about 1/2 to 1hr than it starting to go blank on and off. I am not sure why it has to be 1/2 to 1hr than the problem started to happen. I then turn everything off the next day, it will be the same, playing sd dvd music video 1/2 to 1hr than it started again. I first thought the sound play loud enough to vibrate the cable and loosen it. since the hdmi cable output slot already is loose.

Okay, I hate to keep throwing more variables into this. But....now I'm wondering if there might be an issue with the player itself. Video processing generates a lot of heat, and maybe when your player is doing the work, it starts to overheat after awhile.

Just speculating. But it kind of fits if this problem ONLY occurs when your Oppo 83 is upscaling. Now keep in mind, if that is the issue, it should not matter whether you go through the receiver or directly to the TV; the Oppo would exhibit this behavior either way. So be sure to throroughly test whether you get the same problem when directly connected to the TV. This is a critical piece of information as you try to narrow down the issue.

If this happens either way (through receiver and not), I would call Oppo. They're very good about replacements if there's a hardware failure/problem.
post #18488 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 PM

It is late and got to go to sleep now. I have to test these out tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks for all the help progprog.

I am curious to see how people with Oppo bluray players connect their players.

Do you connect Oppo to tv via hdmi and analog cables from Oppo to receiver?
Or Oppo hdmi cable to receiver than receiver hdmi to tv?
post #18489 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is late and got to go to sleep now. I have to test these out tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks for all the help progprog.

I am curious to see how people with Oppo bluray players connect their players.

Do you connect Oppo to tv via hdmi and analog cables from Oppo to receiver?
Or Oppo hdmi cable to receiver than receiver hdmi to tv?

I have two BDP-83s. The one in my HT is just connected via HDMI through my AV processor. (No analog audio.....) The one in my other setup is connected directly to the panel for both audio and video. There's no external sound system in that room.
post #18490 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 PM

Yes that is great. I will make sure to put alot of time in testing these sd dvd music videos and sd dvd movies connecting Oppo to TV. Although you raise a great question about ventilation because mine does not leave alot of room.

Again, got alot of test to do and have to put sometime doing this. I will certainly report back. Thanks!

Quote:

Okay, I hate to keep throwing more variables into this. But....now I'm wondering if there might be an issue with the player itself. Video processing generates a lot of heat, and maybe when your player is doing the work, it starts to overheat after awhile.

Just speculating. But it kind of fits if this problem ONLY occurs when your Oppo 83 is upscaling. Now keep in mind, if that is the issue, it should not matter whether you go through the receiver or directly to the TV; the Oppo would exhibit this behavior either way. So be sure to throroughly test whether you get the same problem when directly connected to the TV. This is a critical piece of information as you try to narrow down the issue.

If this happens either way (through receiver and not), I would call Oppo. They're very good about replacements if there's a hardware failure/problem.

post #18491 of 30646 Old 06-19-2009, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Goodnight!
post #18492 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post

I just have to say, (can't remember who suggested it) but the Ideal-Lume is really an amazing thing to pair with the Elite. It really helps eliminate reflection and makes the black striking. On top of that, I think my eyes are not as strained and at night, my TV actually seems a fair bit brighter. I'll try to put a photo later this week.

1+ I'm one of the folks on this thread who feel the Ideal-Lume is worth the modest investment. Having an accurate bias light is really a key tool IMHO to get the most out of the set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18493 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

In a word...no. I'm out in Seattle, and lots of rain and humidity are the norm here. The humidity idea doesn't make sense to me at all. However, it does sound like you might be narrowing this down to a remote or remote sensor issue...is that your impression as well? (If so, it'd be a relief to know that it's not likely the power supply or something more serious.)

Are you using the stock remote or a programmed one? And I know this has only happened a couple times, but does the hard button always seem to work okay, even when this is happening? This is obvious (I know ), but I'd try new remote batteries, just to cover all bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I use the cable remote and sometimes the 111's remote; both worked before, and both work with the TV once it is on but the TV doesn't respond to on/off commands from either. Strange this suddenly started happening. But I'm not sure a power issue is completely out of the question. Yes, the button works, but a look at the power supply might not hurt.

I have the names of two service centers (one in Brooklyn, interestingly) and I now plan to call, as a third day straight of this all but convinces me this isn't something that will just go away on its own.

Last night the remote worked! I was surprised at this. but this AM, it didn't. As a last-ditch I may try new batteries (although the cable remote is just fine with the cable box); it hadn't occurred to me since it would be unusual for both remotes to fail, and the 111 remote doesn't get near the work the cable remote does.

Right now I will plan to call service sometime next week.

post #18494 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And what settings are you using? If you're looking at one AV mode (or an adjusted one) with a higher sharpness setting versus, say, PURE, it'll look sharper. Also, the Pure Cinema mode can impact motion perception. Are those the same between the two TVs?

I was watcing his in performance and movie mode playing from a 51fd blu ray player. It looked clearer, smoother, sharper, more depth and more detail and color. I played the same scene through my Ps3 with the same default settings he has on his TV for performance mode and it did not look like his at all. His looked so life like and good and it really looked like the colors were painted on his TV. Not the same for mine. I swtiched to Movie mode with D-Nices settings (movie mode settings are the same on his TV) and still saw a difference.
post #18495 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Doesn't matter how they're encoded. They are displayed as 1080p, just like everything else on these panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post

According to the JPEG info, Yes

The reason I ask is because recently my pro-111fd has been showing what appears to be dead pixels (black in color). Though some go away in a matter of seconds, there are a couple which seem to linger. The reason I asked about the break in slides is that they mostly appear on my PS3 home screen, but they do not always appear on the break in slides. I appreciate any info or speculation on what this might be. They are not to noticeable from my viewing distance, but I am concerned that more may appear in the future.

Thanks,
Colin
post #18496 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys! I haven't been here in a LOONG time. It's like coming home after a long vacation. So I'm trying to get my Dad to pick up an elite before they're gone. I haven't done any TV research since I bought my 141 last October.

Elite owners, if you had it to do again, would you still grab an Elite (a model that is nearly a year old) rather than whatever's come down the pike in the last year? Thanks for any feedback.
post #18497 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
She's back..

Talk to Robert at VE, he'll give you the best advise..

btw, this year's HDTV Shootout is next weekend, the PRO-101FD, KRP-500M and others will be in it.. you will have your answer then as well..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #18498 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post

Hey guys! I haven't been here in a LOONG time. It's like coming home after a long vacation. So I'm trying to get my Dad to pick up an elite before they're gone. I haven't done any TV research since I bought my 141 last October.

Elite owners, if you had it to do again, would you still grab an Elite (a model that is nearly a year old) rather than whatever's come down the pike in the last year? Thanks for any feedback.

Hi Vashti. Yes, I most definitely would. I think the Kuros still offer the best picture available for HD sources. Now, to be honest, if your Dad's viewing habits lean mostly toward SD-TV (like my Dad's do ), I'm not sure the Kuro provides that great an upgrade over other panels. (In fact, I think it's a little too revealing with poor TV sources.) In that scenario, it's true strengths would be somewhat going to waste.

That said, I would take any opportunity to grab one of these while you can.
post #18499 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely! Kuro still rules! (at least until OLED perhaps)

post #18500 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:

Hey, Vashti; we've missed you around here.

I would still unequivocally recommend a kuro elite if your dad's got the funds. I just got back from vacation and got to spend some time with a number of this year's Panasonic plasmas and a couple LCD's, and it was a breath of fresh air getting back to my 151. I respectfully disagree with progprog with the SD sources; the video processing in the 151, in my view, will bring out the best regardless of the source, at least compared to the sets I was looking at (the x1, s1 and g10 series of plasmas, as well as an 80u from last year, and I'm not even going to waste my time with the LCD's).

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #18501 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

I respectfully disagree with progprog with the SD sources; the video processing in the 151, in my view, will bring out the best regardless of the source, at least compared to the sets I was looking at (the x1, s1 and g10 series of plasmas, as well as an 80u from last year, and I'm not even going to waste my time with the LCD's).

Actually, that's a really good point. I seriously doubt that anything else you can buy new these days would be better for SD-TV. My mental comparison is to my Sony SXRD....technology you can't buy anymore. It really did make SD channels look better. But everything else you can buy now seems to be LCDs ("grotesque" is the descriptor that comes to mind....) and lesser plasmas.

I rescind the qualifier in my previous comment! Get your Dad a Kuro, Vashti!!!
post #18502 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LMK point this way I had friend who was not even looking for a TV. I told him about the price on the 111 and he was oddly intrigued.

He went with his wife and they ended up with a 151 and are stunned at the picture quality. They were not even considering a TV but were so impressed with it at BB Magnoloa store they could not pass it up.

I love my 111 and can not imagine there is anything even close. The PQ is still stunning after 2mo.

BTW, I have no idea on the 151 but SDTV from FIOS on the 111 looks great, HDTV is stunning. I think SDTV actually looks great. I like to watch WGN for Becker.
post #18503 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, that's a really good point. I seriously doubt that anything else you can buy new these days would be better for SD-TV. My mental comparison is to my Sony SXRD....technology you can't buy anymore. It really did make SD channels look better. But everything else you can buy now seems to be LCDs ("grotesque" is the descriptor that comes to mind....) and lesser plasmas.

I rescind the qualifier in my previous comment! Get your Dad a Kuro, Vashti!!!

Hey, schroedk and progprog:

I hear what you are saying--certainly the 151 does a great job upconverting SD--certainly better than or equal to many of the other panels out there (although I prefer my Z7's video processing by a hair)

Having said that, I have to admit, it's really hard to watch SD on mine because SD just looks so lousy compared to HD.

post #18504 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

I have to admit, it's really hard to watch SD on mine because SD just looks so lousy compared to HD.

Maybe I am too easy but in my experience some SD movies look so good on my 151 that I will never buy BD versions of those movies. Heck , I just bought the X-Men trilogy on BD , and I am fighting the temptation to compare the 2 because. Ive only upgraded 15 or so DVDs to BD, only a few times have I compared the 2, the first one I did this with was Kill Bill V1 & V2 , the difference was huge on those but there have been others where the difference was not huge from further than 3 feet from my 151.
post #18505 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Heck I only sit 9.5' back from my 151 and I have near 20/20 vision, I don't wear any kind of glasses. Anyhow there have been a number of occasions when I was watching a BD and have wished my 151 was 70 or 80" to get the most from my reference Blu-Rays.
post #18506 of 30646 Old 06-20-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Maybe I am too easy but in my experience some SD movies look so good on my 151 that I will never buy BD versions of those movies. Heck , I just bought the X-Men trilogy on BD , and I am fighting the temptation to compare the 2 because. Ive only upgraded 15 or so DVDs to BD, only a few times have I compared the 2, the first one I did this with was Kill Bill V1 & V2 , the difference was huge on those but there have been others where the difference was not huge from further than 3 feet from my 151.

Yeah, I know what you mean; it really varies a lot. Some are a night & day kind of difference, PQ-wise, and others are a pretty subtle upgrade. In pretty much all cases, though, I have found that either the video OR audio upgrade, or more often both, make the jump to HD versions worthwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Heck I only sit 9.5' back from my 151 and I have near 20/20 vision, I don't wear any kind of glasses. Anyhow there have been a number of occasions when I was watching a BD and have wished my 151 was 70 or 80" to get the most from my reference Blu-Rays.

You and me both! I want an 80" Kuro....who do we call about that?
post #18507 of 30646 Old 06-21-2009, 01:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

You and me both! I want an 80" Kuro....who do we call about that?

Panasonic.

Calibration Resources:

post #18508 of 30646 Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

I recently upgraded from my POS Samsung 1400 BD player to a PS3, which is something I should have initially purchased in the first place back in '07.

Since I'm guessing a lot of Elite owners also use the PS3 for BD, I was wondering about two specific settings:

1 - Video Output Format - Right now, I have it set to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr because setting it to RGB significantly crushed blacks.

2 - RGB Full Range - Should this be set to Full or Limited? I've been told that it depends on whether or not your television has a Full Range or not.

Any thoughts?

Video output I would leave it on Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr and set RGB to limited. If you check the PS FAQ thread, these are the recommended settings.
post #18509 of 30646 Old 06-21-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

yes
post #18510 of 30646 Old 06-21-2009, 08:00 AM

HMG Question: Using a MacBook Pro, with an Airport Express, could I run a USB cable to wirelessly stream iPhoto pix from the MacBook to the 111FD? I don't think so, but wanted to see if anyone tried - or if there is any other work around to stream pix from the Mac to the 111. Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page