The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 618 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18511 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

She's back..

Talk to Robert at VE, he'll give you the best advise..

btw, this year's HDTV Shootout is next weekend, the PRO-101FD, KRP-500M and others will be in it.. you will have your answer then as well..

I would not consider anything other than an Elite. Nothing has come along recently, nor is in the immanent future, that will approach these displays.

Run - don't walk and get one before they are gone forever!!!

Shawn - you going to VE next week?

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18512 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

you going to VE next week?

I won't

I already have regret for not taking Robert up on his invite

My understanding is that there is going to be some kind of news/announcement too, hope I will be able to watch the live stream at least.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #18513 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Sadness... I was hoping to meet you. I'm always looking forward to meeting forum-friends.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #18514 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Liked: 10
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson... Maybe I am too easy but in my experience some SD movies look so good on my 151 that I will never buy BD versions of those movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Yeah, I know what you mean; it really varies a lot. Some are a night & day kind of difference, PQ-wise, and others are a pretty subtle upgrade. I want an 80" Kuro....who do we call about that?

This is why I'm going Netflix. I've been bitten too many times replacing my SD titles to BluRay and have found subtle differences and many titles. One that comes to mind is Sin City. I want to build a decent BluRy library, but I am very picky about the PQ, and especially the audio coding. Netflix seems to be the best source/tool for that purpose, and saves quite a bit of $$ too!

Wish I could get an 80" Kuro too!!

"Not Enough Hours In A Day"
post #18515 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Sadness... I was hoping to meet you. I'm always looking forward to meeting forum-friends.

jeeze, I'm feeling worse everyday

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

post #18516 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I won't

I already have regret for not taking Robert up on his invite

My understanding is that there is going to be some kind of news/announcement too, hope I will be able to watch the live stream at least.

Where can we watch the live stream?

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #18517 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

Where can we watch the live stream?

Shootout Live Stream

Preview Here

Sat. 6/27 & Sun 6/28 7:00PM EST

"Big Guns" D-Nice and Kevin Miller will be there as well as "Rising Star" Eddiscus and I believe Manufacturer Reps

hmm D-Nice, Kevin Miller, Eddiscus and the Manufacturer Reps - sounds like a Rock Band (aren't DNice and Eddiscus already Music Stars?)

ControlCAL™

post #18518 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_axel View Post

I've been bitten too many times replacing my SD titles to BluRay and have found subtle differences and many titles. One that comes to mind is Sin City.

Really? Sin City did pretty well at blu-ray.com.

My criteria for buying blu-rays are....
#1 it has to be a movie I watch at least once a year.
#2 the blu-ray has to get a good review at,
blu-ray.com and/or bluray.highdefdigest.com

If Netflix works well for you then that is the way to go, my problem with it is if I think of a movie I want to watch, then I want it now!... so its BlockBuster or Hollywood video for me. And I hope you are not talking about Netflix streaming because that is not BD quality. I have Comcast On-Demand for streaming.
post #18519 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post

Hey guys! I haven't been here in a LOONG time. It's like coming home after a long vacation. So I'm trying to get my Dad to pick up an elite before they're gone. I haven't done any TV research since I bought my 141 last October.

Elite owners, if you had it to do again, would you still grab an Elite (a model that is nearly a year old) rather than whatever's come down the pike in the last year? Thanks for any feedback.

I just upgraded from a 5010 to the 111 and am very satisfied with my decision to do so. I used D-Nice's setting on the the 5010 and again, using ControlCal this time, on the 111. I don't think anything that matches the Elites quality and ROI will be on the market anytime soon. That's why I decided to upgrade now.

Steve
post #18520 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 AM

Sorry for coming out of left field like this, but do I pull the clear material off of the color sensor before mounting it to the set?
post #18521 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I will be heading up to the shootout on Saturday. They are always a good time.
post #18522 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Really? Sin City did pretty well at blu-ray.com.

My criteria for buying blu-rays are....
#1 it has to be a movie I watch at least once a year.
#2 the blu-ray has to get a good review at,
blu-ray.com and/or bluray.highdefdigest.com

If Netflix works well for you then that is the way to go, my problem with it is if I think of a movie I want to watch, then I want it now!... so its BlockBuster or Hollywood video for me. And I hope you are not talking about Netflix streaming because that is not BD quality. I have Comcast On-Demand for streaming.

Netflix BluRay rentals is what I was referring to... I borrowed a friends BD of SinCity and did a comparison between the SD and his using 2 different players, switching inputs back and forth via remote to compare exact scenes throughout the movie, and the 151's PQ on both were very close, a tad better with the BD version, but not enough to justify another re-purchase at $25, JMO though... The SD was good enough for me without getting OCD over the subtle differences.

post #18523 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jeeze, I'm feeling worse everyday

Know what'll cheer you up?

An IP release

Oh... wait... that would be me who's cheered up!

-steve
post #18524 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Netflix BluRay rentals is what I was referring to... I borrowed a friends BD of SinCity and did a comparison between the SD and his using 2 different players, switching inputs back and forth via remote to compare exact scenes throughout the movie, and the 151's PQ on both were very close, a tad better with the BD version, but not enough to justify another re-purchase at $25, JMO though... The SD was good enough for me without getting OCD over the subtle differences.

Hmm, well tend to agree with what the reviewers at blu-ray.com have
said about the BDs they review. Sin City got a glowing review in the video dept.......>>>>
Quote:

Sin City boasts a phenomenal, reference level 1080p/AVC-encoded transfer that, quite simply, blows most other releases out of the water. I hate to gush too much, but every frame of Rodriguez's stark cinematography has been meticulously reproduced, his injections of color leap off the screen, and his enveloping gray gradients are impeccably precise. Even though deep blacks and harsh whites dominate the picture, crush is never an unintentional issue, artifacting isn't a factor (unless you're standing a foot from the screen), and contrast is spot on from beginning to end. More importantly, detail is absolutely stunning -- skin and fabric look fantastic, textures are earthy and refined, and object definition is incredibly sharp (without the unwanted help of any significant edge enhancement). Better still, each cut of the film is just as impressive. Generously spread onto two BD-50 discs, I'd be hard pressed to find any differences in quality between the presentations.

The results are even more mind-blowing when you compare the Blu-ray transfers to their standard DVD counterparts. Literally every aspect of the image has received a fitting overhaul, rendering any previous release of Sin City a decidedly dated relic. If you have any love Frank Miller's original comic series or for Rodriguez's adaptation -- any affection at all -- this release deserves a very special home on your shelves.

post #18525 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post

Sorry for coming out of left field like this, but do I pull the clear material off of the color sensor before mounting it to the set?

NO!! Do NOT pull off that clear material, you will destroy the sensor by doing so!!!

Just Kiddin, yes , take it off.
post #18526 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 PM

It just keeps it from getting scratched during transit and instalation.
post #18527 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM

Ha-ha! Thanks guys.
post #18528 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 01:38 PM

I have been searching for spec's on the IR repeater out port and cannot find any information (here or at Pioneer's website).

I assume an IR flasher with a 3.5mm plug will work (that's the impression I get from some of the posts here but correct me if I need a special connector).

Can the output signal be split and if so, how many times before I need an amplifier (1x3 1x4)? Ideally I would love to stick a 1x4 passive flasher array in the kuro port and be done with it but I can use a distribution amplifier if necessary.
post #18529 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, here we go... First attempt posting pics. I hope you like them!

The black wall is difficult to photograph and get a true representation of the "Real Look" because a flash is needed, due to the fact, well, because it's black! The look comes out as charcoal as opposed to the actual black tint that it truly is with natural light.

1. Getting there... First time mount, before painting wall black.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151011.jpg

2. Rear view custom installation. No studs to hang mount, improvised using 1.25" diameter black iron pipes and 4 flanges.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151009.jpg

3. Rear right angle view of installation, highlighting mount, pipes and flanges secured to sill-plate.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151012.jpg

4. Rear view header. Pipes and flanges secured to header.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151003.jpg

5. Almost there... Before/after paint. Work in Progress. TV extended 10" with articulating mount. Natural light.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151007.jpg

6. Mounted and painted. Wall is actually blacker without flash. Preparing to connect gear.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151008.jpg

7. Finalized for now. Completed install, washed out black wall due to camera flash, gear connected, minor tweaks needed, adjacent walls to be painted Shark-Grey, redo molding etc...
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151002.jpg

The next 5 pics. are some screen shots of the 151FD in its splendid glory!! The seamless transition against the black wall is very good IMHO. The screen shots are from a Panasonic DMP-35K BluRay transport, @ 1080p-24fps using Optimum mode.

8. Baraka 1: Night shot w/out flash, Optimum mode, 151FD, 1080p/24fps.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151013.jpg

9. Baraka 2: Night shot w/out flash, Optimum mode, 151FD, 1080p/24fps.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151010.jpg

10. Baraka 3: Night shot w/out flash, Optimum mode, 151FD, 1080p/24fps.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151004.jpg

11. Baraka 4: Taken at night w/out flash. Optimum mode, 151FD, 1080p/24fps. I just love the detail, especially the mortar joints and brick...
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151006.jpg

12. Baraka 5: Night shot w/out flash, Optimum mode, 151FD, 1080p/24fps. And the children too! Seamless transition from panel, bezel, speakers and wall! Notice the Blue LED indicator light of the panel to the lower left.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v.../avs151001.jpg

THE END, For Now!

hd,

Thank you for posting these pics!! You had a brilliant idea with those vertical pipes, I have a somewhat similar situation and I think I will do the same thing. Again, excellent idea!
post #18530 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 PM

I am glad you are throwing this suggestion because I believe I have found my problem with handshake issue between Oppo and my yamaha receiver.

So far I played the same sd dvd disc for 2 hrs or so and also tried other disc setting video output to 1080p. My problem with the tv screen and audio going blank on and off must due to overheat.

Before, I was only leaving about 2 inches from the top of the cabinet for my receiver plus I had another integrated amplifier underneath.

Thanks so much to everyone and thanks proprog for your suggestions as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Okay, I hate to keep throwing more variables into this. But....now I'm wondering if there might be an issue with the player itself. Video processing generates a lot of heat, and maybe when your player is doing the work, it starts to overheat after awhile.

Just speculating. But it kind of fits if this problem ONLY occurs when your Oppo 83 is upscaling. Now keep in mind, if that is the issue, it should not matter whether you go through the receiver or directly to the TV; the Oppo would exhibit this behavior either way. So be sure to throroughly test whether you get the same problem when directly connected to the TV. This is a critical piece of information as you try to narrow down the issue.

If this happens either way (through receiver and not), I would call Oppo. They're very good about replacements if there's a hardware failure/problem.

post #18531 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post

Hey guys! I haven't been here in a LOONG time. It's like coming home after a long vacation. So I'm trying to get my Dad to pick up an elite before they're gone. I haven't done any TV research since I bought my 141 last October.

Elite owners, if you had it to do again, would you still grab an Elite (a model that is nearly a year old) rather than whatever's come down the pike in the last year? Thanks for any feedback.

Hello, and yes. Plus, you may well get one at a discount now.
post #18532 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hello, and yes. Plus, you may well get one at a discount now.

In the UK as stock has run out they have gone up, and by quite a chunk too.

The £1600 sets are now at between £2100 and £2300, and the £2100 ones are now £2600-2800.

Which is a $1000 increase on some models.
post #18533 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

hello again this is the guy who thinks somethings wrong with his elite 111fd:

so tonite i was watching 300, and as im watching it everything seemed to be okay, but when i looked at the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen they looked like that were producing like a bluish tint to them instead of just being black. So the scene came up where they first fight the persians and they are all standing in a line waiting as the persians bum rush them. Well when the camera zooms out you see the shadow of the persians like blobbing away from the screen in the lower left side of the movie like someone spilt ink on the screen and its running down. While when looking at that part that even looked like it has a bluish tint to it. When watchin it on my fathers 5020( which he bought from me) the black looks really black like i cant distinguish the bezel from the picture. I dont know what is going on, why wouldnt my elite be producing the deep blacks it is known for?? I had it in movie mode with d-nice settings then switched to standard mode, and performance mode which were in default settings. and they all looked like they were producing like a light black. it wasnt like black hole black like the kuro is known for nor is it black my dads 5020. Im starting to regret not keeping my 5020.
post #18534 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

andf my blacks do not look anything like the pics that guy posted of baraka. i can see where the frame begins and the screen starts. my buddies tv is black as hell and so is my fathers 5020 wtf!!!! should i call pioneer and have someone come out and look at the guts of my tv??
post #18535 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

hd,

Thank you for posting these pics!! You had a brilliant idea with those vertical pipes, I have a somewhat similar situation and I think I will do the same thing. Again, excellent idea!

Your welcome! If you have any questions etc., feel free to PM me when you get going with yours...

post #18536 of 30482 Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Hmm, well tend to agree with what the reviewers at blu-ray.com have said about the BDs they review. Sin City got a glowing review in the video dept.......>>>>

Remember we are talking about the Kuro here. Both look phenomenal to me. The reviewers comments about the SD to HD version may true, however, I wonder if the comparison is with LCD or Plasma, especially with an Elite Kuro? Try a rental of it and try the comparison yourself... In all fairness too, I should mention I probably only had about 40 to 90 hours on my 151 at the time.

post #18537 of 30482 Old 06-22-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Maybe I am too easy but in my experience some SD movies look so good on my 151 that I will never buy BD versions of those movies. Heck , I just bought the X-Men trilogy on BD , and I am fighting the temptation to compare the 2 because. Ive only upgraded 15 or so DVDs to BD, only a few times have I compared the 2, the first one I did this with was Kill Bill V1 & V2 , the difference was huge on those but there have been others where the difference was not huge from further than 3 feet from my 151.

I am glad someone else has chimed in here about this. I have a 151 and a BDP-51 and have been noticing the same. I use NetFlix and have seen several DVDs that did just as well as some BDs on my 151. I am really impressed with the players ability to upscale and watch the results on the 151. I am not a big collector but I would certainly preview a movie before I purchased it to see if the BD premium is worth it. The Dark Knight has been running on HBOHD lately on FIOS and I think it looked as good or better than the BD.
YMMV

JTMav
post #18538 of 30482 Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMav View Post

The Dark Knight has been running on HBOHD lately on FIOS and I think it looked as good or better than the BD.
YMMV

If you left it alone with 'as good' id not have said anything. But id like your opinion on just how the HBOHD version could look better ? ?
post #18539 of 30482 Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 AM

It's a fair question and not too easy to answer with words. I guess there were scenes in the movie that I thought had more "pop" than the BD. The IMAX scenes, which are full screen on the BD were spectacular. A big part of the HD broadcast was that the picture was consistent, scene to scene. It's more subtle than substance and it could just be me

JTMav
post #18540 of 30482 Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 AM

Hello Everyone,

I recently had my 151fd Elite and HT sound calibrated by Jeff Meier (UMR) from Accu Cal. For those who seen my posts know that I am know very little to talk technical in term of audio and video. So I am just going to share my calibration experience from someone who wants the best and enjoy reading about home theater. I have no knowledge or have heard of anyone calibrating their tv or audio before reading this forum, so to hire someone just from reading this forum to calibrate our tv and HT system is very different for us.

From reading this forum I have already had a positive bias that Jeff would be a great person to calibrate our tv especially with his audio expertise. Knowing that I want to tempt my enthusiasm and report from what I have seen. Jeff spent approximately 5.5 hrs on calibrating our tv and audio (3 hrs on isf night and day to all 3 inputs and 1.5 hrs on audio).

Video Experience:
I have to say that seeing the Elite in ISF Modes really reinforce that the Elite is truly an amazing display. The colors are so rich and the picture is just amazing to look at. Since my family watch a lot of foreign music sd dvd, I have to put it in as a test. I thanks Jeff for putting up with that.

Audio Experience:
I don’t know much about audio but I do know that my HT sound just does not sound good. Before this audio calibration, my HT sound was ok and it was just sound to me and I did not really enjoy it as much. Obviously, my HT system need a lot or should I say everything fixed or adjusted. After Jeff calibrated our audio, I can actually say that this is what HT system should sound like or like I was in the movie theater.

Again I want to thank Jeff for coming to our house and calibrate our tv and sound system. I will definitely ask Jeff to come back if and when we get a dedicate space for a home theater instead of a man cave. Jeff is highly regards here in this forum and I would recommend Jeff to anyone who is looking to get not only their TV but also HT system calibrated.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page