The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 691 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20701 of 30646 Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I don't have a PM by you (must have been deleted one of the daily "Break-in" PM box clean-ups). Unfortunately I highly doubt I will be coming to Seattle... but there is always the summer of 2010

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20702 of 30646 Old 10-13-2009, 01:33 PM

Just finished installing the display (stand and speakers), what an amazing unit. The blacks almost make me want to cry. I'm currently running the thumb drives, and am planning to do this non-stop as to get the break in period over with....all i can say is, it's gonna be a long 6 days.

Also, I'm pretty sure I have the buzzing people talk about. It's probably extra noticeable because all I'm running are slides with no sound. I very much doubt I will be able to hear it during normal watching.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help so far, this display is worth every single penny.
post #20703 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 AM

It gets better, believe it or not! I've now had my 151 for six months and it seems like every once in a while I turn it on and it looks better than the last time I watched it. Weird, eh? All I can attribute it to is "settling in" (i.e. the phosphors getting seasoned). I had it calibrated by David Abrams in June which made a huge difference but since then it seems to go through these shifts to a better picture. Enjoy!
post #20704 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by budd99 View Post

Just finished installing the display (stand and speakers), what an amazing unit. The blacks almost make me want to cry. I'm currently running the thumb drives, and am planning to do this non-stop as to get the break in period over with....all i can say is, it's gonna be a long 6 days.

Also, I'm pretty sure I have the buzzing people talk about. It's probably extra noticeable because all I'm running are slides with no sound. I very much doubt I will be able to hear it during normal watching.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help so far, this display is worth every single penny.

Which set were you lucky enough to obtain? I have some buzzing as well, but not enough to hinder normal viewing.
post #20705 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post

Which set were you lucky enough to obtain? I have some buzzing as well, but not enough to hinder normal viewing.

I got the 151, I previously had a 3 year old Sony 52" XBR2, what a huge step up, I just couldn't deal anymore with the "grey" blacks. This is like HDTV 2.0 for me, haha.

About the buzzing, it seems like something I would get used to after a few weeks, and eventually not notice anymore. All it takes is my ears getting used to it.

I'm pretty sure whoever claim their sets are dead silent either have trouble hearing that particular frequency, or have some other background noise, as minimal as it may be (fans, outside noise, etc).
post #20706 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure whoever claim their sets are dead silent either have trouble hearing that particular frequency, or have some other background noise, as minimal as it may be (fans, outside noise, etc).

You could put on a stethoscope and go over every square inch of my 151 and you would not hear a thing. I would be upset of mine sounded anything like THIS.

J.W.J.
post #20707 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestech View Post

You could put on a stethoscope and go over every square inch of my 151 and you would not hear a thing. I would be upset of mine sounded anything like THIS.

Anyways, doesn't really matter. I don't want to start talking about buzzing, as I'm sure it's been beaten to death.

I'm just glad to enjoy my TV.
post #20708 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:

I think this is probably true as I haven't "heard" a plasma that didn't have at least some buzz.
post #20709 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I got the 151, I previously had a 3 year old Sony 52" XBR2, what a huge step up, I just couldn't deal anymore with the "grey" blacks. This is like HDTV 2.0 for me, haha.

About the buzzing, it seems like something I would get used to after a few weeks, and eventually not notice anymore. All it takes is my ears getting used to it.

I upgraded from a Sony 46" XBR2 and felt the same way.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #20710 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Woot!!! Lot of adrenaline in me right now. Just put a down payment on Kuro 151fd. Finish paying it on the 10-30-09 when I get paid. Great deal!!!!! Can't f'ing wait to watch it, after I break it in. Just a quick question. Can I leave the tv on for 150 hours straight with the break in pictures on.
post #20711 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianquittia View Post

Woot!!! Lot of adrenaline in me right now. Just put a down payment on Kuro 151fd. Finish paying it on the 10-30-09 when I get paid. Great deal!!!!! Can't f'ing wait to watch it, after I break it in. Just a quick question. Can I leave the tv on for 150 hours straight with the break in pictures on.

Congrats on your new toy! Yes, you could run the break-in for 150 hrs straight if you want. Since you have time before you get the panel, you have time to read more about breaking it in and using settings, etc.
post #20712 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianquittia View Post

Can I leave the tv on for 150 hours straight with the break in pictures on.

Yes, you most certainly can waste 150 hours of your TV's life, and 150 hours worth of electricity, but why would you want to?
post #20713 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

Again, all I can reference is my experience, but if you are indeed getting bombarded by the same questions over and over again at the rate of 15 per day, and you think they are sufficiently covered, perhaps the FAQ could use some updating - for your sake, if nothing else?

I happen to own a a pretty busy automotive forum, and have created and posted dozens of How-To's. When you set yourself up to be the local guru, questions come with the territory - That's a given expectation. I've always found that when I notice I'm getting the same questions over and over, I take the time to update that section of the write up to make it clearer, and it really does help to save everyone - especially me alot of time.

Specifically regarding the 2008 vs 2009, when I read early on that 9G was the latest and last version of the Pro-151, logically I thought that meant 2008 and later. If you think about it, chronologically, you'd have to read through 1,000's of posts to finally get to the discussion where it evidently was discovered there was some sort of a change that effected the 2009 and later Kuro's that negatively impacted your recommended settings. I simply haven't got that far yet, and I apologize for not investing enough time.

Lastly, if you have a personal policy of ignoring PM's for any reason, perhaps you'll consider making a note of what is, and what is not acceptable in your sig-line. Again, I truly appreciate what you've done here to help others, but forcing folks to figure out your 'unwritten communication rules' the hard way is somewhat counter-intuitive to the spirit of the forum. I've learned my lesson and will avoid bugging you in the future, and hopefully I'll find a similarly qualified tuner locally who is willing to accept the job. Sorry again for the bother.

Peace and God Bless.

When was the change made in 2009 9Gs in terms of Manufacture dates?
post #20714 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

when was the change made in 2009 9gs in terms of manufacture dates?

post #20715 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Just returned from a deployment and realized that I can finally afford one of the 9G's I've been salivating over for more than a year. For my needs/wants, it's down to the PRO-141 vs. the KRP-600m. I have a couple of questions:
1. As long as I can get the ISF modes unlocked and a professional calibration, is there any real justification these days for paying the extra grand for the 141?
2. I realize that time is running out to get these monitors. I've read a ton of these threads and, even after going to the Pioneer official site for the list of official internet vendors, am having a real problem determining which ones are the real deal/insure the manufacturer warranty. I know that you can't supply specific names/prices here but am looking for advice on getting a reasonable deal while avoiding getting burned by a bogus site or a refurbished unit.

I apologize if all or part of this is better suited for a different discussion- am happy to move it if this is not the right thread.
post #20716 of 30646 Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusjohnson View Post

1. As long as I can get the ISF modes unlocked and a professional calibration, is there any real justification these days for paying the extra grand for the 141?

Only if you want the 2 additional HDMI ports on the back, 2 year warranty and the promise from Pioneer that the PDP module is the best out of the batch it came from.

Quote:

2. I realize that time is running out to get these monitors. I've read a ton of these threads and, even after going to the Pioneer official site for the list of official internet vendors, am having a real problem determining which ones are the real deal/insure the manufacturer warranty. I know that you can't supply specific names/prices here but am looking for advice on getting a reasonable deal while avoiding getting burned by a bogus site or a refurbished unit.

I'll PM you with a source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20717 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 AM

Add me to the owners club. I bought a PRO111FD today! I couldn't locate a brand new one online or locally for the life of me so I bought a demo that's been high up on the wall for about four months. I checked the set out under various types of programming and lighting. No issues and I was satisfied. Full two year factory warranty is included along with a 30-day return guarantee. At around $700 less than what I could have bought new, it was worth it to me.

All the accessories were included except the stand. They couldn't locate it and accounted for that in the price. I really can't watch this set until I have a stand! The speakers came in their box with a part number (2025). Does the stand have the same? I couldn't locate the stand kit part number and Pioneer appears to have one of the pieces of the stand as out of stock. If someone could provide stand kit part number, that would be appreciated. Better yet, if someone had no need for theirs, please run it by me and could possibly take it off your hands. Look forward to watching this set and soon!
post #20718 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyharpy View Post

All the accessories were included except the stand. They couldn't located it and it was adjusted in the price. I really can't watch this set until I have a stand! The speakers came in their box with a part number (2025). Does the stand have the same? I couldn't locate the stand kit part number and Pioneer appears to have one of the pieces of the stand as out of stock. If someone could provide stand kit part number, that would be appreciated. Better yet, if someone had no need for theirs, please run it by me and could possibly take it off your hands. Look forward to watching this set and soon!

Congrats on your new TV!

Double-check that it's interchangeable (I think so but I'm not 100% certain), but hopefully you can order the KRP-S02, which is the accessory table-top stand for both the 101FD and the KRP-500M.
post #20719 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Congrats on your new TV!

Double-check that it's interchangeable (I think so but I'm not 100% certain), but hopefully you can order the KRP-S02, which is the accessory table-top stand for both the 101FD and the KRP-500M.

You can also check on the TS23 stand; I have it for my 101FD but not sure if it would fit the 111...
post #20720 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
you can get a tv stand that has flat panel mount...there quite a few out there..I have one that swivels for easy access to back
post #20721 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Still reading through these threads, and finally got to page 250 in the setup thread, so I'm getting there...

However, I need to make some quick decisions here, and I know DirecTV HD Tivo's have been mentioned a couple of times. I have to call them to run the wiring before drywalling, and I'm sure I'll have to select the tuner. I thought I heard a mention of new units coming out, but all they are saying the on the phone is a model 23 is available? Is this the latest and greatest, and the one to get? Or is there really something new coming that I should wait for?

If there is a good reaon to wait on the tuner, I'll just have him run the wiring and wait, if it's not going to be too long. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
post #20722 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Congrats on your new TV!

There's a shop selling the KRP-TS02 very cheaply on eBay. I bought one for my KRP-500M and had it in 4 days.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KRPTS02-KRP-TS02...item3a53d60d61

Same vendor also has the TS23.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PDK-TS23...item3a53d60ece

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20723 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

DirecTV HD Tivo's have been mentioned a couple of times.
If there is a good reaon to wait on the tuner

Direct no longer leases TiVo based recorders. They may have a new one sometime next year. For now you'll get an HR-21, 22 or 23 HD recorder that runs DTV software. You can only pick the model if the installer brings multiple units in the truck. The 22 and 23 have somewhat larger disks and I found the 23 to be the most compatible and stable of the three models.

Both the 23 ($200) and 21pro ($400) models can be purchased separately. You're still leasing though.

post #20724 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

I understand the 'leasing' part, which is the extra $5 dollars a month for the service, right?

I already have standard DTV with the 2 channel Tivo, so I just need a new dish, and the HD Tivo for the basement. I'm told the other receivers will be fine. However, I wasn't aware that Tivo isn't available? I'm assuming the DVR works about the same?

So, are you recommending going with the 23? I've been with them forever, and they said they'll give me an extra loyality $100 discount and do the rest for free, but I'm pretty sure if I put my foot down and say I will only accept a certain model, they will comply.

Obviously, I want to make sure I demand the best unit though! Thx!
post #20725 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously, I want to make sure I demand the best unit though

I'm of the opinion that the 23 is the best of the 21/22/23 (best of a bad lot). The 21 I had didn't do the HDMI handshake very well and both the 21 and 22 had atrocious remote control latency. DTV has no control over what the installer brings but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try and get what you want. The dbstalk forum is good place to follow-up on DTV issues.

post #20726 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks - If the 23 is the best available, I guess I don't have much of a choice. If it doesn't work out, I'll change it with the next units next year. On spec'ing the unit, when I replaced one bad unit a year ago, they just sent it to me via UPS or something like that. I think they would do the same? that would avoid a last minute pot-luck with whatever the installer happens to have.

Thanks for the insight!
post #20727 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Thanks - If the 23 is the best available, I guess I don't have much of a choice. If it doesn't work out, I'll change it with the next units next year. On spec'ing the unit, when I replaced one bad unit a year ago, they just sent it to me via UPS or something like that. I think they would do the same? that would avoid a last minute pot-luck with whatever the installer happens to have.

Thanks for the insight!

I have an HR21 and and HR22. I have zero complaints with either one. Both record what I tell it to and play what I want it to. Not to mention I can access On Demand items, call up various apps on screen (weather one is nice), QuickTune to nine of my favorite stations, use dual-live buffers to watch football on Sunday, etc.

I owned a Tivo S3 before and couldn't stand the CableCards. The only thing I miss from the Tivo is the 'Deleted' folder.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #20728 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the insight!

The HR23 is the most recent receiver, not necessarily "the best". It is equivalent to the HR22, the difference is the filters that were attached to the RG6 cables for the HR22 are now mounted inside the HR23 receiver and out of sight. In other words, they don't clutter/hang off the back of the unit on the HR23, other than that they perform the same. I don't see why you can't request the 23 when you place your order without any issues...

"Not Enough Hours In A Day"
post #20729 of 30646 Old 10-15-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_axel View Post

The HR23 is the most recent receiver, not necessarily "the best".

Yes the BBCs have moved inside the chassis (for good or ill) but the models are certainly different. If you run beta code the releases are model specific. I've had (well still have actually) all three and in my environment they all behave differently. They could be unit specific but both of my HR-21s behaved exactly the same (poor) way.

Perusing the DBSTalk forums will give insight regarding requesting a specific model.

post #20730 of 30646 Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Yes the BBCs have moved inside the chassis (for good or ill) but the models are certainly different. If you run beta code the releases are model specific. I've had (well still have actually) all three and in my environment they all behave differently. They could be unit specific but both of my HR-21s behaved exactly the same (poor) way.

Perusing the DBSTalk forums will give insight regarding requesting a specific model.

I'm just going by what the tech told me when he was here in late September 2009 re-aligning my dish. He said just he BBC's were the "only" difference... I have the HR22 in piano black finish, not sure if they come in silver? I mention that because I've seen some other installs where people told me their silver DVR's were HR22's also. They may be HR21's? I didn't pull their gear out to check...

I was told I could swap out my HR22 and request an HR23. What else is different between these two? Is it worth swapping to the 23? I'm okay with my HR22, other than the delays with the remote controls response. Thanks.

"Not Enough Hours In A Day"
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page