The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 697 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20881 of 30529 Old 10-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renmeister View Post

While the BD player is loading, the 151 displays small loading symbols. In the back round I could easily see the oval blotchy black centered in the middle and lighter shades of black towards the outside while watching the little display symbols move as the BD player was loading. I have aprx 18 hours on this brand new Pro-151FD and I have begun to become obsessed by this imperfection.
I know it's not on all Pioneers because we purchased two and the other is perfect. Any help/information in eliminating this would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure this will go away..............Renmeister

i totally understand - i'm quite obsessed myself - have you tried running the slides or even the video pattern for a while?

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20882 of 30529 Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

While the BD player is loading, the 151 displays small loading symbols. In the back round I could easily see the oval blotchy black centered in the middle and lighter shades of black towards the outside while watching the little display symbols move as the BD player was loading. I have aprx 18 hours on this brand new Pro-151FD and I have begun to become obsessed by this imperfection.
I know it's not on all Pioneers because we purchased two and the other is perfect. Any help/information in eliminating this would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure this will go away..............Renmeister

As you've already noted, other owners who saw this on their panels say it gradually fades and the panel evens out by about 600 hrs or so. Considering that is really doesn't impact anything other than a no-signal condition on the screen, just try not to look at at and obsess so much. In fact, maybe you could purposefully try to NOT look at the panel when it's all-black and come back and check it in 2-3 months.
post #20883 of 30529 Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

could you grab a picture and post possibly?
post #20884 of 30529 Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouhhan View Post

i totally understand - i'm quite obsessed myself - have you tried running the slides or even the video pattern for a while?

It's not IR or BI. It's just a blotchiness that some of the panels have when they are new. It evens out over time.
post #20885 of 30529 Old 10-30-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

It's not IR or BI. It's just a blotchiness that some of the panels have when they are new. It evens out over time.

i see - my bad - i thought he was talking about a symbol in the middle of his screen. i've had that for brief periods.

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
post #20886 of 30529 Old 10-31-2009, 10:09 AM

Thank for those who replied. When the audio or video bug bites, it bites hard. Any how watched full screens last night until 3:am. This Kuro stuff has to be one of the best Plasma's available at this time. Watched Apollo 13, was totally immersed in the movie. Sound was fantastic. Last Panel I had was a Pro-FHD1 and the 151 has reduced it to a primitive display. Other then the blotches this is the best I have seen outside a Sim 2 all tricked out, close to $40k with processors, screen, anamorphic lenses. I can watch the Packers at 1:00 with the windows and blinds open. He can not. When the blotches go away and I get it broken in and ISF'ed Feb. 2010 I feel I will have something close to state of the art. Thanks again to those who posted..............................Renmeister

Current Main system:Kuro Pro151FD
Denon 3800BDCI
NHT Three's X 4
NHT Three Center
NHT 12 Sub
Pioneer Elite VSX-21 Processor
Rotel RB1025THX Power Amp
All Cardas Golden Ref power cables
Universal MX-980 Remote
Furman power condition
post #20887 of 30529 Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I really didn't know what I was missing until we bought the 151fd. Before this, we were really hyped up about getting a samsung lcd. That seems to have faded now...

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #20888 of 30529 Old 10-31-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post

I really didn't know what I was missing until we bought the 151fd. Before this, we were really hyped up about getting a samsung lcd. That seems to have faded now...

I know what you mean. I realize LCDs are very popular, but I can hardly stand to watch them anymore. (I try to watch baseball games on my folks' Samsung and it nearly makes me nauseous.)
post #20889 of 30529 Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I know what you mean. I realize LCDs are very popular, but I can hardly stand to watch them anymore. (I try to watch baseball games on my folks' Samsung and it nearly makes me nauseous.)

You should try the entry-level Toshiba at my job...
post #20890 of 30529 Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 AM

I know what you all mean...
My bro got a 55 inch, 240hz Samsung LCD and said it was very nice.
He did mention though, that he watched an action movie and got nauseous!
To me, the characters in certain movies look really fake on his Sammy. Especially the Peter Jackson King Kong.

I was really on the fence about which plasma to go with, Kuro 141FD, or a similar sized Panasonic. I had all the worries- the cost, Pioneer being out of the business, NO speakers, NO stand, etc. I bit the bullet on the floor model 141 for $4200 with an included OmniMount XL wall mount.

Its absolutely incredible...
Its a shame Pioneer will not make these anymore...
I don't know what I will do when this needs to be replaced.

Bill
post #20891 of 30529 Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Congrats on your new purchase. My wife, the best in the world, and I are heading to Magnolia today to pull the trigger on a PRO-151FD. Can you say "excited"?

You'll find the answers to your questions right here... just start reading this voluminous thread or give the excellent search feature a try.

Enjoy your new TV!
post #20892 of 30529 Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billman1965 View Post

I know what you all mean...
My bro got a 55 inch, 240hz Samsung LCD and said it was very nice.
He did mention though, that he watched an action movie and got nauseous!
To me, the characters in certain movies look really fake on his Sammy. Especially the Peter Jackson King Kong.

I was really on the fence about which plasma to go with, Kuro 141FD, or a similar sized Panasonic. I had all the worries- the cost, Pioneer being out of the business, NO speakers, NO stand, etc. I bit the bullet on the floor model 141 for $4200 with an included OmniMount XL wall mount.

Its absolutely incredible...
Its a shame Pioneer will not make these anymore...
I don't know what I will do when this needs to be replaced.

Bill

Sick because of the PQ or sick because he's perhaps sitting too close and following the motion on-screen upsets the sense of balance? And, is it too bright?
post #20893 of 30529 Old 11-01-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Sick because of the PQ or sick because he's perhaps sitting too close and following the motion on-screen upsets the sense of balance? And, is it too bright?

When I watch sports on LCDs, the unnatural "fluttering" nearly sickens me...it really does. With baseball, for example, a pitch almost looks like a rapid series of freeze frames, the swing of the bat flutters, and even the guys running can look weird and unnatural. I literally have to get up and take frequent breaks from it (and from the ungodly volume my Dad plays it at....).
post #20894 of 30529 Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I watch sports on LCDs, the unnatural "fluttering" nearly sickens me...it really does. With baseball, for example, a pitch almost looks like a rapid series of freeze frames, the swing of the bat flutters, and even the guys running can look weird and unnatural. I literally have to get up and take frequent breaks from it (and from the ungodly volume my Dad plays it at....).

In recent times I've noticed something similar when watching baseball and football, particularly messy when someone was rounding third for home or following someone running down the football field in relative close-up. I've assumed it was the signal from the cable box.
post #20895 of 30529 Old 11-02-2009, 02:43 PM

I have just purchased a new PRO-101. Do any experts out their have any advice for a new owner ? Do I need to 'burn-in' this set ?

Thanks
post #20896 of 30529 Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsars88 View Post

I have just purchased a new PRO-101. Do any experts out their have any advice for a new owner ? Do I need to 'burn-in' this set ?

Thanks

I think you mean "break in" and not "burn in." No, it's not necessary. Start at post #1 and start reading before you do anything. That's what I did. It doesn't hurt knowing more than you need to with these TV's.
post #20897 of 30529 Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsars88 View Post

I have just purchased a new PRO-101. Do any experts out their have any advice for a new owner?

Congratulations on the getting one of the best direct view displays available.

Read the relevant threads. There is no 101FD thread but the 141FD is the same display just larger and you'll find useful information there. The KRP panels are also very similar (the 500M and 101FD share the same service manual).
post #20898 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

My EDGE is out for repair, and since I have only the one input on my 111 ISF-calibrated, I'm thinking of getting a reasonably-priced HDMI switcher to use in the meantime, if the EDGE won't be back anytime soon. What brand or particular units have people here found very good for passing both video and audio via the one connection to a TV? Thanks for your suggestions.
post #20899 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My EDGE is out for repair, and since I have only the one input on my 111 ISF-calibrated, I'm thinking of getting a reasonably-priced HDMI switcher to use in the meantime, if the EDGE won't be back anytime soon. What brand or particular units have people here found very good for passing both video and audio via the one connection to a TV? Thanks for your suggestions.

I used to use this and it works very well
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have one and no need for it. PM if interested.
post #20900 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are a couple I would not hesitate to trust, as both companies sell very high-quality stuff:

Oppo's 3x1 HDMI Switch @ $99
Blue Jeans Cable 5x1 HDMI Switch @ $50
post #20901 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 View Post

Amazon is not the best place to buy these. Try Value Electronics, or elite-home. The 500M does not come with the ISF day/night/auto modes that your 111 had. But it has noticeably better blacks and a better overall pq. The 500M is flat out the best set that money can buy, and can be had relatively cheap.

Now the ISFccc modes can be added to the set. You can do this yourself, see controlcal.com for info, or have it done professionally. I had mine done pre delivery, they did 150 hour burnin, installed ISFccc patch and did full calibration, the pq is amazing. Even spending the extra for all that and a stand, it is still cheaper than the 111. D-Nice even calibrated it. Highly recommended, it is WAY better than a 5020. The 5020 may disappoint you after having the 111.

Im thinking what I may do since I just checked out the high end Panny V10 which left a bad taste in my mouth but alot of owners seem to like it alot. This was the dilemma for me when i made the decision to go with the 5020 as my first plasma purchase looked like crap at the store then looked like god in my house. Anyway the money Im getting back from Pioneer is going to bills, but what i was thinking before the 500m's are all gone is to grab a credit card with like little or no APR for a few months, take my refund pay my debts, and then when im done on that pay off the TV. Cause I know if i go with Panny I feel like im going to be disspointed. Anyone do any comparisons of the new pannys to a kURO? I know its a self explanatory answer but im looking for some feedback on some financial (meaning what is my best move) and some feedback on some plasmas. Heres my question and dilemma:

Choice 1.) get the refund pay off some credit cards, at the same time sign up for a no APR card just to purchase the TV, and then pay off the TV after paying some bills off.

choice 2.) Pay off all my debts first, then once that is done go TV shopping and if the Pioneer 500m is still around get it if not I have to go with Panny.
post #20902 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

choice 2.) Pay off all my debts first, then once that is done go TV shopping and if the Pioneer 500m is still around get it if not I have to go with Panny.

That one gets my vote. I personally hate carrying debt, but even beyond my preferences, I just don't think this is a good time to take on more unless absolutely necessary. You are obviously thinking that you would pay off the TV/card during the 0% APR period, but life happens, and the best made plans can blow up in our faces. You could well end up paying higher interest on the TV than on any of your other debts. (Also, it's not nearly as easy to get a quick 0% card as it used to be, and both the application(s) and any possible denials will impact your credit score.)

But of course, your situation has lots of considerations that only you can know. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
post #20903 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

I used to use this and it works very well
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have one and no need for it. PM if interested.

Quote:

Here are a couple I would not hesitate to trust, as both companies sell very high-quality stuff:

Oppo's 3x1 HDMI Switch @ $99
Blue Jeans Cable 5x1 HDMI Switch @ $50

They all have the AC adapters on them. I don't like those things much. All look like they can easily do the job. Monoprice is cheaper, Oppo is nicer, BJ seems more compact. It won't help my LD player at all, but I can hold off on watching those until my EDGE gets back (or Duo, if I make the switch [no pun intended]).

Thanks for the info and suggestions.
post #20904 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 PM

post #20905 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody have a PDP-6020fd? How good is this plasma? This couls be had for the same price as the panny's V65". anybody have any knowledge on this model? Thanks

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #20906 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

Anybody have a PDP-6020fd? How good is this plasma? This couls be had for the same price as the panny's V65". anybody have any knowledge on this model? Thanks

There are a lot more 6020 owners on the 9G General Discussion thread and the 9G non-Elite thread. You'll probably get the most useful responses by just targeting those owners.
post #20907 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
CFX

I have recently purchased an Elite 151. I have a comcast cable box from Pace. I'm running an HDMI cable from my Pace cable box to my 151FD, and I'm running an optical cable from the 151FD to my Sony receiver. I'm only getting PCM on my receiver, 2 channel audio. I'd like the 151 to pass through the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. Thinking that this was an issue with the receiver, I put in a Blu Ray in my PS3 which is also hooked up via HDMI to the 151 and the audio still comes as PCM to my receiver. I checked the System Setup setting and the Digital Optical Output is set to Dolby Digital.I've checked the setup for the Pace cable box and PS3 to make sure it's outputting Dolby Digital. Furthermore, attaching an optical cable directly from my cablebox to my receiver does send a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal.

Is there something I'm missing here? Does the 151 not pass Dolby Digital 5.1 audio? Thanks again for your help.
post #20908 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post

I have recently purchased an Elite 151. I have a comcast cable box from Pace. I'm running an HDMI cable from my Pace cable box to my 151FD, and I'm running an optical cable from the 151FD to my Sony receiver. I'm only getting PCM on my receiver, 2 channel audio. I'd like the 151 to pass through the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. Thinking that this was an issue with the receiver, I put in a Blu Ray in my PS3 which is also hooked up via HDMI to the 151 and the audio still comes as PCM to my receiver. I checked the System Setup setting and the Digital Optical Output is set to Dolby Digital.I've checked the setup for the Pace cable box and PS3 to make sure it's outputting Dolby Digital. Furthermore, attaching an optical cable directly from my cablebox to my receiver does send a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal.

Is there something I'm missing here? Does the 151 not pass Dolby Digital 5.1 audio? Thanks again for your help.

The Kuro only passes DD5.1 from its internal tuners...not from your external sources. You need to run that optical out from the cable box directly to your receiver, bypassing the Kuro completely. As your testing suggests, a direct connection is the only way to get DD5.1 from the STB.
post #20909 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
CFX

Thank you progprog. You've kept me from spinning my wheels. This is why I come to the forums :-)
post #20910 of 30529 Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Guys, I need some reassurance on this. We bought the Peerless ST670 and it came in today. It was a very easy install but I am worried the screw that goes into the tv is too short. I tried the the ones that are a size up and they go in deeper but it doesn't go all the way enough to have the arms tightly flushed against the tv. So, I went back to using the shorter ones. What size screw did you guys use?

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page