The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2009, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I will try that. I had been using 8 secs so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

If the internal tuner gets activated on power-up, it's a long lag. Try 12 secs, and adjust up or down accordingly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 08:51 PM

It will be the one year anniversary of me taking ownership of my 151 soon. Recently, my parents took my advice and got a 151 for themselves. They love it. (of course they do-whats not to love) They have had theirs for about 2 weeks.

I seem to nice that my dads tv has even better blacks than mine! In a completely dark room, his blacks seem darker. Now, both of these sets are 12/08 builds, same hardware and software.

I notice the difference when Im in a completely pitch dark room, when I switch stations on the cable box and it goes black for about half a second. His goes *completely* black over the info bar on the bottom of the screen. Mine does not quite get a BLACK as his. WE both have the same cable company and cable box. In fact, we live 2 doors down from each other in the same building. His i 2 weeks old, and mine is almost a year. both TV's were double checked and have the exact same settings.

Can it be that there are values that are in his service menu that are different than mine that are giving his TV that slightly better black level? When a TV comes out of the factory, isnt there some degree of calibration that someone does in the service menu? (Not talking about ISF or anything) but someone tweaking the TV in the service menu to make it look acceptable? Or, are all our service menu values the same when they come from the factory? I would really like to get to the bottom of this.

Im also having trouble updating the firmware. I went to pioneers site and DL'd the firmware, copied the folder "update" to usb, turned the tv on, oulled the plug, put in the usb and put the plug back in. all it does is turn on, but no automatic update. Am I doing something wrong? Does the USB have to only have the update on it to work?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

both TV's were double checked and have the exact same settings.

the "exact same settings" aren't likely to produce "the exact same results"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 11-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

So basically I'm nuts, LOL. I'm just a little jealous of that amazing black level he's got. I mean, mine are amazing, but his are amazing +1.;-)

What about the service menu? are these sets given a half ass calibration at the factory to get them out the door and thats why his is blacker than mine? We both paln on having the sets ISF'd but it is still haunting me. Gear like this can make you very neurotic. ;-)
Old 11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

nope, not saying you are nuts at all.

just saying that the same settings on two different displays are unlikely to produce the same results.

edit: 2 sets with the same usage hours, broken in exactly the same following d-nice break-in procedure, using d-nice's settings, will produce very similar results... but that doesn't appear to describe your scenario...

note that doesn't mean break in is necessary, i'm not getting putting my toe in that water, it's been argued to death... i plugged both of my kuros in, tamed the contrast a bit, and was judicious in viewing material for the first 100 hours or so... then had them pro calibrated...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

+1

Even given the caveats in your subsequent post, there will always be panel variances. I think audiolover may be assuming that the settings that look so good on his Dad's panel should look the same on his, and that's a mistaken assumption.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

Im also having trouble updating the firmware. I went to pioneers site and DL'd the firmware, copied the folder "update" to usb, turned the tv on, oulled the plug, put in the usb and put the plug back in. all it does is turn on, but no automatic update. Am I doing something wrong? Does the USB have to only have the update on it to work?

I think it does, yes. The panels seem to be rather particular about the USB drive.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+1

Even given the caveats in your subsequent post, there will always be panel variances. I think audiolover may be assuming that the settings that look so good on his Dad's panel should look the same on his, and that's a mistaken assumption.

yea, i only threw that in there because i didn't want to restart the old debate...

- chris

Old 11-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:

It's important to note that the various PC Film Modes are signal-specific. It's not so simple as "this one always does this" and "that one always does that." ADVANCE and STANDARD will treat 1080p/24 signals exactly the same, for example, but they treat other signals differently. OFF and STANDARD treat video signals the same, but affect 1080/24 differently. So just be careful not to be comparing the modes in situations where there's really no difference in what they are doing.

Hi progprog,

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I had some time last night and nothing was on so I started to play around using the FiOS DVR as the source, and while I'm not quite ready to say my problem is a non-problem, I'm getting close!

I found a clip that had a camera pan across a table edge which showed this motion flutter pretty well. I tried all sorts of settings and it did absolutely nothing to change this. After a while I was getting a little frustrated and not sure what else to try. I really had not considered that the problem could be from the source because again I never noticed this with the Sony SXRD, but I started to think about how I could tell if it really was from the source. Then I remembered that a few months ago I bought a 19" Toshiba LCD HDTV for casual viewing in my bedroom. I brought it to the FiOS DVR, made the HDMI connection and watched the table edge camera pan. I was amazed to see the same exact same motion flutter!! I replayed it several times and each time the motion flutter was the same as what I saw on the 151! I then switched to several HD live channels and found the same kind of fluttering that I was seeing with the 151.

This morning I happend to catch a few minutes of Jurasic Park, and there is one scene where the camera pans vertically down against a fence with horizontal elements. The motion flutter was especially bad in this scene. Again I switched to the Toshiba and again I saw the same exact flutter as with 151!

The only thing left for me to declare this a non-problem is to see what my neighbors' plasmas show as they also have the FiOS DVR. Also I still want to play with the Blu Ray and the 151 settings for it.

What I'm guessing is that while the Sony SXRD had a great picture (very sharp, with good depth and black level was good but no where as low as the 151) it's processing during motion was not that great and the fluttering probably ended up being blurred and therefore did not register as strongly. I would love to be able to do a side by side comparison of the 151 vs the Sony but alas, BB had to take back the Sony as part of the exchange!

So for now I still want to do a few more things but if not for your suggestions I would have never considered the source and would have always thought it was the 151! So thanks for your help!

Gerry

P. S. I aslo noticed a phenomenon! After a while even the best picture will loose its "WOW" factor, and sometimes I would see an image on the 151 which I didn't think was WOW! When I hooked up the Toshiba 19" initially it seemed sharper because of it smaller size, but after that impression wore off the picture in the Tosh was clearly inferior by a wide margin. It was NOT sharper and most of the blacks were severly crushed. Plus if I moved up or down or to the side the picture quickly lost whatever punch it had. When I switched back to the 151 all I could say was WOW!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM

I just got a pro-151fd. It says Manufacture date 2/2009. It did not have plastic on the bezel nor a KURO sticker. Does the tv come with a plastic film on bezel when new?

All accesories were sealed and the TV was neatly packed so I think I got a new one or did I ....?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter View Post

I just got a pro-151fd. It says Manufacture date 2/2009. It did not have plastic on the bezel nor a KURO sticker. Does the tv come with a plastic film on bezel when new?

All accesories were sealed and the TV was neatly packed so I think I got a new one or did I ....?

There's no protective plastic on the bezel and no sticker. Sounds like you got a new one.....
Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Hi, is it possible to inactivate the internal tuner on power-up
on 151FD? AFAIK, I am only using external tuners ie Cable box and OPPO as my sources.

Thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

If the internal tuner gets activated on power-up, it's a long lag. Try 12 secs, and adjust up or down accordingly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does any of the Kuro expert here have it handy; I need it for programming Harmony 900 remote.
Apologize if this has been discussed before!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagla View Post

on 151FD? AFAIK, I am only using external tuners ie Cable box and OPPO as my sources.

Thanks

If you're looking at the 151 through the cable box tuner, and power on the KURO with the cable box remote, there shouldn't be much of a delay at all.

I'm running a TiVo HD with Comcast M-card, and have programmed the TiVo remote to power on, control volume, change inputs, etc. on my 111. Turning the 111 on that way displays solid picture and sound from the TiVo in five seconds. I'm not seeing any of the typical :12 lag and the annoying "Television. Starting Up. Please wait." alert on the screen before seeing output of the 111 tuner.

Maybe I'm mistaking what you're asking.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got my Signature 141 in today. Mounted it to the wall. Perfect panel with no dead pixels. Just beautiful! And NOW I have a blinking red light. I tried leaving it unplugged for 5 minutes and turning it back on. But the blue light comes on for less than a second, then it goes off and the blinking red light appears. I think it is two blinks then no light, then two blinks, and pattern repeats. I guess I have to contact Pioneer again. I sure hope they can fix it without having to get a new panel.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianquittia View Post

I got my Signature 141 in today. Mounted it to the wall. Perfect panel with no dead pixels. Just beautiful! And NOW I have a blinking red light. I tried leaving it unplugged for 5 minutes and turning it back on. But the blue light comes on for less than a second, then it goes off and the blinking red light appears. I think it is two blinks then no light, then two blinks, and pattern repeats. I guess I have to contact Pioneer again. I sure hope they can fix it without having to get a new panel.

Sorry to hear that. You know, if it's a brand new panel, I think I'd opt for replacement rather than repair......
Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, my bro-in-law was asking about my PRO-111FD the other night, and he wasn't too impressed with the price I paid for it. I then told him about the monitor only units from Pioneer and said they can be had for cheaper, but I don't know where to refer him. Can someone PM me some respectable retailers, and/or pricing? He's now curious as to what they are going for.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianquittia View Post

I think it is two blinks then no light, then two blinks, and pattern repeats.

Red 2 is probably a power supply but it could be a drive board or just a loose connector. It's likely a quick, simple fix but it might be a week or two wait for an appointment/parts so you could get a replacement quicker than a repair.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

Hey guys, my bro-in-law was asking about my PRO-111FD the other night, and he wasn't too impressed with the price I paid for it. I then told him about the monitor only units from Pioneer and said they can be had for cheaper, but I don't know where to refer him. Can someone PM me some respectable retailers, and/or pricing? He's now curious as to what they are going for.

Thanks!

Try Valu Electronics in Scarsdale NY. There were several monitors available last week, great prices too.

"Not Enough Hours In A Day"
Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Red 2 is probably a power supply but it could be a drive board or just a loose connector. It's likely a quick, simple fix but it might be a week or two wait for an appointment/parts so you could get a replacement quicker than a repair.

I wish I could get a replacement. It was the last 141 in stock from the place I bought it from. Repair man is coming Thursday to look at it/pick it up. I really wanted to watch the Pacquaio-Cotto fight on it this weekend. I just hope the repair people don't mess it up some how. It really was a perfect panel for 6 hours, albeit uncalibrated.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by pagla

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V View Post

If you're looking at the 151 through the cable box tuner, and power on the KURO with the cable box remote, there shouldn't be much of a delay at all.

I'm running a TiVo HD with Comcast M-card, and have programmed the TiVo remote to power on, control volume, change inputs, etc. on my 111. Turning the 111 on that way displays solid picture and sound from the TiVo in five seconds. I'm not seeing any of the typical :12 lag and the annoying "Television. Starting Up. Please wait." alert on the screen before seeing output of the 111 tuner.

Maybe I'm mistaking what you're asking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me try to explain my issue more clearly.

I have SA 8300HD cablebox connected to 151FD HDMI input 4 and OPPO BR to HDMI input 5.

If I turn everthing off when "watching TV"(cablebox, on input 4) and later use Harmony to start "watch DVD", it turns the TV and OPPO on but TV remains stuck at input 4 as it is not ready to switch inputs due to latency. I now have Harmony 900 programmed with 12000 millisec latency but to no avail so far.

Based on progprog's comment, I was wondering if there is a way to turn off internal tuner.
I also have a Panasonic Professional 10UK without internal Tuner and that panel has virtually zero latency in switching inputs.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
My switch from Monoprice arrived today; I forgot that USPS delivers Priority Mail on holidays. Per request, I plan to post once I have it set up and running.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello again! I posted this question yesterday but somehow it got deleted, so here goes again. I have a new Pioneer KRP-600M with the KRP-TSO1 stand. While vacuuming the shiny base plate of the stand on Sat with a dusting brush, I noticed afterwards a lot of swirl marks and (maybe) light scratches. I guess I was an idiot for using a vacuum but can anyone suggest some kind of plastic polish I can use to minimize or eliminate these marks. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Hello again! I posted this question yesterday but somehow it got deleted, so here goes again. I have a new Pioneer KRP-600M with the KRP-TSO1 stand. While vacuuming the shiny base plate of the stand on Sat with a dusting brush, I noticed afterwards a lot of swirl marks and (maybe) light scratches. I guess I was an idiot for using a vacuum but can anyone suggest some kind of plastic polish I can use to minimize or eliminate these marks. Thanks!

Honestly, just about anything you try will probably make it worse. I suspect that it's not something you'd ever notice from a normal distance; try not to look.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 PM

I began my quest for a Pioneer TV thinking I would only be able to get a 50 inch, so my choice was obvious with the 500m.

But now some new opportunities have presented themselves, and I might have the option of getting a 60 inch. So I was wondering which set is 'better' the 151 or the 600m- I had heard the 600m is the best 60' pioneer? And is 3500-3700 a good deal for a 151 bought locally?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis343 View Post

I began my quest for a Pioneer TV thinking I would only be able to get a 50 inch, so my choice was obvious with the 500m.

But now some new opportunities have presented themselves, and I might have the option of getting a 60 inch. So I was wondering which set is 'better' the 151 or the 600m- I had heard the 600m is the best 60' pioneer? And is 3500-3700 a good deal for a 151 bought locally?

If you are not into buying seperate speakers stand etc, save a few quids with 600M( how much?) Yup, be prepared to pay around $3500-$3600 plus tax locally.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

If you are not into buying seperate speakers stand etc, save a few quids with 600M( how much?) Yup, be prepared to pay around $3500-$3600 plus tax locally.

Most of the places Ive found 600m's they were around the same price as my local dealer is willing to price a 151.

Unless the 600m can be bought at a authorized dealer for less then 3500-3700?

Edit: Just to clarify my thought process, I was thinking it would be safer to buy a 151 locally as the store is willing to sell it at roughly the same price as a 600m. But I heard the 600m is considered to be the best 60' TV Pioneer because it has some of the 10g tech. But if it's not that noticeable and the 600m isn't that much cheaper then it seems like a pretty safe bet with the 151?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's really not a matter of one being "better." They use the same PDP panel, but differ in features. Your best bet is to decide which feature set best suits your requirements and get that one. You would get top-notch Kuro picture quality either way.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:

It's really not a matter of one being "better." They use the same PDP panel, but differ in features. Your best bet is to decide which feature set best suits your requirements and get that one. You would get top-notch Kuro picture quality either way.

For features they seem pretty much the same? Besides the ISF patch, am I missing anything besides lack of inputs?

Good to know they use the same panel. I was just always under the impression that the 600m had better blacks because of some of the 10g tech is used.

I'm thinking 3500-3700 is a pretty good deal for a brand new 151 from a local dealer. I just can't seem to find a 60' kuro from a authorized website for the same price.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For features they seem pretty much the same? Besides the ISF patch, am I missing anything besides lack of inputs?

Good to know they use the same panel. I was just always under the impression that the 600m had better blacks because of some of the 10g tech is used.

I'm thinking 3500-3700 is a pretty good deal for a brand new 151 from a local dealer. I just can't seem to find a 60' kuro from a authorized website for the same price.

One is a TV and one is a monitor. Different inputs, no speakers, no stand, no internal tuner are the main differences. The talk about the 10g tech only applied to the 500M...not the 600M.

Personally, I consider the option to buy locally an advantage that has some value. These things are big and expensive, and if anything is wrong with it, it sure is nice to have someone local who can exchange or help you out.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

One is a TV and one is a monitor. Different inputs, no speakers, no stand, no internal tuner are the main differences. The talk about the 10g tech only applied to the 500M...not the 600M.

Personally, I consider the option to buy locally an advantage that has some value. These things are big and expensive, and if anything is wrong with it, it sure is nice to have someone local who can exchange or help you out.

yup! i agree, with expensive set, big like this, local purchase preferred.

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread