The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 703 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #21061 of 30650 Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

How do i get distilled warter??

Dont really need to wipe the entire glass as its just one main spot. the other areas that have smudges are to small, i think i can get those to go away by wiping. but this one smudge on the right about the size of a quarter doesn't want to leave. i think made it worse and bigger by dabbing my microfiber cloth on my tongue and wiping. never doing that againg. lucky its only one spot.

My Kuro came with a cleaning cloth, didn't that work?

Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD, Elite BDP-05FD, Elite 72TXV, B&W 805/XTC/M1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21062 of 30650 Old 11-14-2009, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Buy some at the grocery store.
post #21063 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 02:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

You go to the store and buy a bottle of distilled water!
Either that, or play around distilling your own.

And unless you have a clean way to collect steam vapors off of water boiling in order to make your own distilled water, buying a bottle is much easier and also a lot faster!
post #21064 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Well does anybody know how to get rid of smudges on the kuros glass? i dont know what else to do. wiping it doesn't do anything. it slowly comes back.

Is this using the microfiber cloth that comes with the TV? It needs to be that one or one that's the same grade. I've yet to need to dampen mine, but depending on the type of smudge, a little water, as everyone's suggesting, seems worth a try. I'm not sure it's a coating issue, because I'd think the smudge wouldn't go away and slowly come back.
post #21065 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

OK, this is embarrassing.......

Looking at it again, what I saw as the bezel is actually just the inside edge of the bezel. I thought the reflection on the bezel was objects behind the TV!

I need to stop posting when I'm tired.

If it makes you feel better, I saw it exactly the same way at first, and thought the same thing. It took me a while to "see" the real bezel as well.

Dan.
post #21066 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys , I got a stupid question. I am mostly saying its stupid because I should already know this considering ive had my PRO-151FD for 11 months now and have had it professionally calibrated.
Here is the question......What all can you do with both ControlCAL profile sets on a Calibrated PRO-151FD besides accidentally changing the calibration settings so you have to get the calibrator back over and drop another $400?
Then again, my PRO-151FD is perfect, why am I even asking this question...tisk tisk.....thanks GOD its football Sunday.
post #21067 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 AM

Guys,
After 13 years my Mitsu 40" tube just bit the dirt. I'm considering the 151 and a 65v10. I've demo'ed the 151, but no one in the area has the Panny. I been out of the AV scene for awhile and know Pio is exiting the market. I mainly watch movies and will be sitting about 15' away (room constraints). I know I'm talking to a biased bunch but will also link to a v10 thread. Don't have much time to decide. TIA.
post #21068 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momswgn View Post

Guys,
After 13 years my Mitsu 40" tube just bit the dirt. I'm considering the 151 and a 65v10. I've demo'ed the 151, but no one in the area has the Panny. I been out of the AV secene for awhile and know Pio is exiting the market. I mainly watch movies and will be sitting about 15' away (room constraints). I know I'm talking to a biased bunch but will also link to a v10 thread. Don't have much time to decide. TIA.

So you'd be buying the Panny sight-unseen? That's kind of tough. A 15' seating distance calls for a really big panel, IMO, and my distance of around 10' leaves me wanting more screen real estate sometimes. Assuming the features are comparable and match your needs, I'd try hard to go demo the 65v10 somewhere, then base you decision on PQ, best screen size for your room, and price, if that's a consideration. Best of luck to you.
post #21069 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Hey guys , I got a stupid question. I am mostly saying its stupid because I should already know this considering ive had my PRO-151FD for 11 months now and have had it professionally calibrated.
Here is the question......What all can you do with both ControlCAL profile sets on a Calibrated PRO-151FD besides accidentally changing the calibration settings so you have to get the calibrator back over and drop another $400?
Then again, my PRO-151FD is perfect, why am I even asking this question...tisk tisk.....thanks GOD its football Sunday.

Hey James, you might want to browse through the User's Guide. You can easily record your existing settings, so there's really no danger of screwing things up if you just take a minute to do that.
post #21070 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

So you'd be buying the Panny sight-unseen? That's kind of tough. A 15' seating distance calls for a really big panel, IMO, and my distance of around 10' leaves me wanting more screen real estate sometimes. Assuming the features are comparable and match your needs, I'd try hard to go demo the 65v10 somewhere, then base you decision on PQ, best screen size for your room, and price, if that's a consideration. Best of luck to you.

Yes, this is a problem. No v10s in this area what so ever, I spoke to the Panny rep at Costco, so can't even compare the PQ of smaller v10s. Guess I'll have to make a road trip, closest large city is at least 3 hours. I'm in El Paso, TX.
post #21071 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Guys,
After 13 years my Mitsu 40" tube just bit the dirt. I'm considering the 151 and a 65v10. I've demo'ed the 151, but no one in the area has the Panny. I been out of the AV scene for awhile and know Pio is exiting the market. I mainly watch movies and will be sitting about 15' away (room constraints). I know I'm talking to a biased bunch but will also link to a v10 thread. Don't have much time to decide. TIA.

Have you seen another 65" set to compare to 60"?
See if ther is any 65" you can compare vs the 151
just for size differential.
I have 111 and 151 and the 10" are huge not sure on 60" v
65".
But this alone maybe deal breaker on the 151. But PQ on the
151 is fantastic & you would never regret it.
post #21072 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys,

All I can say is that if you think 151 is Big enough for you, YOU HAVE TO BUY IT before its all gone! BY FAR THE BEST TV!

I just cannot tell you how much I enjoy watching my Kuro, every single time I watch anything, even after 9 months of having this.

The fun part is when I travel, watch other TVs around and get used to them... after coming back home, I JUST GET BLOWN AWAY on how much better this TV looks!

So, if you can find a 151 in stock, and you think 60" is big enough, DO NOT HESITATE! I wish I had more room, to buy one of these last ones and just keep when I move to a bigger place!

PS. I just realized you had a 40" before, so why do you think 60" is small?

post #21073 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure if this is an issue with the HMG in general or mine. Whenever I put a USB car to see a slideshow of pictures I have, the transition between pictures TAKES A LOOOOONG TIME! and I am not talking about the slideshow setting. Like whenever I click on "next" picture, it thinks for a while before moving to the next picture.

Anyone else with this issue? is it just how it is, or can be fixed?

post #21074 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post

I am not sure if this is an issue with the HMG in general or mine. Whenever I put a USB car to see a slideshow of pictures I have, the transition between pictures TAKES A LOOOOONG TIME! and I am not talking about the slideshow setting. Like whenever I click on "next" picture, it thinks for a while before moving to the next picture.

Anyone else with this issue? is it just how it is, or can be fixed?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post17322565
post #21075 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

You go to the store and buy a bottle of distilled water!
Either that, or play around distilling your own.

And unless you have a clean way to collect steam vapors off of water boiling in order to make your own distilled water, buying a bottle is much easier and also a lot faster!

Haha, thanks for the laugh.

I never really heard of buying distilled warter before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Is this using the microfiber cloth that comes with the TV? It needs to be that one or one that's the same grade. I've yet to need to dampen mine, but depending on the type of smudge, a little water, as everyone's suggesting, seems worth a try. I'm not sure it's a coating issue, because I'd think the smudge wouldn't go away and slowly come back.

No i was using the blue microfiber cloth thats made by monster.(I know) i think i tried using the one that comes with the kuro, dont remember, to many things on my mind right now, i'll try that one though.

home theater addict
post #21076 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey James, you might want to browse through the User's Guide. You can easily record your existing settings, so there's really no danger of screwing things up if you just take a minute to do that.

thanks progprog , btw the Seahawks sure do suck this season.
post #21077 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

...... btw the Seahawks sure do suck this season.

That may be, but the niners are working hard at sucking even more...

Quick question for everyone: I have my pc connected to the kuro via a dvi to hdmi cable. I mainly did that for picture viewing. Everything is great, except for the fact that all the pics look quite a bit darker on the kuro. The camera is a Nikon D200 DSLR with a Nikkor lens, so no question about this setup being accurate.

What I did to kind of remedy that was tinker with Pio's settings. I do feel however that I've pushed that too far, I'm almost thinking I've crushed the whites, blacks and everything in between. All kidding aside, am I doing something wrong here? THis is on Input 6, I have my AVR going into Input 4 and it looks amazing!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I think that web videos look ok, so I'm wondering if Nikon's 10 megapixel resolution is somehow causing this...
post #21078 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Haha, thanks for the laugh.

I never really heard of buying distilled warter before.

You must have led a very sheltered life.
Even back when I was in grade school in the early 60's, it was common knowledge that you could buy distilled water for about $1 or so a gallon, it's a bit more than that now at around $3 a gallon.
post #21079 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post

All I can say is that if you think 151 is Big enough for you, YOU HAVE TO BUY IT before its all gone! BY FAR THE BEST TV!

I just cannot tell you how much I enjoy watching my Kuro, every single time I watch anything, even after 9 months of having this.

The fun part is when I travel, watch other TVs around and get used to them... after coming back home, I JUST GET BLOWN AWAY on how much better this TV looks!

So, if you can find a 151 in stock, and you think 60" is big enough, DO NOT HESITATE! I wish I had more room, to buy one of these last ones and just keep when I move to a bigger place!

PS. I just realized you had a 40" before, so why do you think 60" is small?

The 40" CRT was purchased in 1996 for a small living room. The house that I'm in now has a much bigger living room. Thus, I need a bigger screen. I don't think 60" is small, but could get a 65" for about the same price give or take $4-500. BTW thanks for all the replies. Don't think I've gotten a lot of feedback from the Panny guys on the other thread.
post #21080 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 40" CRT was purchased in 1996 for a small living room. The house that I'm in now has a much bigger living room. Thus, I need a bigger screen. I don't think 60" is small, but could get a 65" for about the same price give or take $4-500. BTW thanks for all the replies. Don't think I've gotten a lot of feedback from the Panny guys on the other thread.

Here's an idea: will the local store that has 151s sell one to you with a no-questions-asked return policy? I know it sounds like a pain, but there's no better way to see how a 60" panel looks in your house than to put one in there. It's be great if you could get one, set it up, watch it a little bit, and decide whether you like it or would probably prefer something bigger.
post #21081 of 30650 Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:

Dont really need to wipe the entire glass as its just one main spot. the other areas that have smudges are to small, i think i can get those to go away by wiping. but this one smudge on the right about the size of a quarter doesn't want to leave. i think made it worse and bigger by dabbing my microfiber cloth on my tongue and wiping. never doing that againg. lucky its only one spot.

Don't really have a clean screen either.
post #21082 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Here's an idea: will the local store that has 151s sell one to you with a no-questions-asked return policy? I know it sounds like a pain, but there's no better way to see how a 60" panel looks in your house than to put one in there. It's be great if you could get one, set it up, watch it a little bit, and decide whether you like it or would probably prefer something bigger.

Won't happen. These guys think their **** doesn't stink.
post #21083 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Won't happen. These guys think their **** doesn't stink.

Oh how fun. That's such a pleasant business ethic.....
post #21084 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Has anyone discovered a way to rename digital channels? You can rename the analog ones, but not the digital ones from what I'm seeing. Seems to me that you should be able to rename digital channels, I know it's a minor issue, but it would be nice to have.

On another topic, what's the general opinion on the tuner in the 111? Mine is really slow, and I'm not sure if it's the way that comcast is assigning their channels, or if the tuner is inherently slow.
post #21085 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echrise View Post

Has anyone discovered a way to rename digital channels? You can rename the analog ones, but not the digital ones from what I'm seeing. Seems to me that you should be able to rename digital channels, I know it's a minor issue, but it would be nice to have.

On another topic, what's the general opinion on the tuner in the 111? Mine is really slow, and I'm not sure if it's the way that comcast is assigning their channels, or if the tuner is inherently slow.

Can't answer the first question, as I don't use the internal tuner. I do have some experience trying different tuner options with Comcast cable, and I've found that the tuners themselves vary a lot in how quickly they tune in....I don't think it's a function of the signal. How are you connecting your cable service? Just plugged directly into the TV?
post #21086 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Can answer the first question, as I don't use the internal tuner. I do have some experience trying different tuner options with Comcast cable, and I've found that the tuners themselves vary a lot in how quickly they tune in....I don't think it's a function of the signal. How are you connecting your cable service? Just plugged directly into the TV?

That's it. It's directly connected to the tv. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade and get a cable box.
post #21087 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echrise View Post

That's it. It's directly connected to the tv. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade and get a cable box.

Probably. What cable package are you subscribed to? In my experience, most Comcast channels are encrypted and you won't be able to tune them in without a cable box or cablecard-enabled device. I didn't like the Comcast boxes I've tried, so now I use TiVos.

PS: You should get one cable box at no extra cost with your service.
post #21088 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Probably. What cable package are you subscribed to? In my experience, most Comcast channels are encrypted and you won't be able to tune them in without a cable box or cablecard-enabled device. I didn't like the Comcast boxes I've tried, so now I use TiVos.

PS: You should get one cable box at no extra cost with your service.

I have the basic cable package, which oddly seems to come with a bunch of the premium channels. I think I'd go the tivo route if I get a real package. I've heard that the comcast boxes are aggravating to use.
post #21089 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Placement of my Velodyne SPL subwoofer?

Hi All,
We have had ton of rain in our area and my basement is always dam. My subwoofer does not have those spike so it is flat on the carpet. I can move the subwoofer to another area but I hope to avoid getting this whole situation. Can I place my subwoofer on something so it is off the carpet? Would this affect my bass/sound?

I would have post in a new thread but I have had great advice from this group and thought this is the best place to get advice from people I have read. Thanks for any help.
post #21090 of 30650 Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM2008 View Post

Placement of my Velodyne SPL subwoofer?

Hi All,
We have had ton of rain in our area and my basement is always dam. My subwoofer does not have those spike so it is flat on the carpet. I can move the subwoofer to another area but I hope to avoid getting this whole situation. Can I place my subwoofer on something so it is off the carpet? Would this affect my bass/sound?

I would have post in a new thread but I have had great advice from this group and thought this is the best place to get advice from people I have read. Thanks for any help.

Why didn't you post that question in the subwoofer thread?

home theater addict
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page