The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 709 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #21241 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just downloaded the latest firmware for my 111FD. Exciting.

About ControlCal. Are the ISF Day and Night modes for the 111FD already profiled/set up for the 111FD displays or do you make the profiles/adjustments yourself or...
are there specific profiles you have to download in addition to the main Controlcal software?
The Controlcal site is a maze of links leading to other links that end up to the original page. Very frustrating.
I did manage to download controlcal v1.45. Separate 111FD specific profiles to download?
I'm cheap and simply want access to Day and Night modes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21242 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post

I just downloaded the latest firmware for my 111FD. Exciting.

About ControlCal. Are the ISF Day and Night modes for the 111FD already profiled/set up for the 111FD displays or do you make the profiles/adjustments yourself or...
are there specific profiles you have to download in addition to the main Controlcal software?
The Controlcal site is a maze of links leading to other links that end up to the original page. Very frustrating.
I did manage to download controlcal v1.45. Separate 111FD specific profiles to download?
I'm cheap and simply want access to Day and Night modes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

The ISF modes have default settings, just like the other modes, but most owners input other settings (D-Nice's, etc.) or adjust them themselves.

You need to buy a ControlCAL license key and this will activate the correct profile for your specific TV. Here's the User's Guide, which will help answer these basic questions and get you started.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
post #21243 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks!

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #21244 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 01:46 PM

I've got UK 9G Kuro 5090 and I've managed to access the ISF modes via RS-232 based on info from Pioneer.

I've managed to access the day and night modes and get them to save

But when I select them via the user menu (using IR remote) they grey out access to the pro controls etc.

It means I can't access the usual cinema modes or tweak the brightness 'on the fly' after I've selected either day or night ISF.

Is this normal? It seems such a shame that access to even basic user functions is denied in the ISF modes
post #21245 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Fan View Post

I've got UK 9G Kuro 5090 and I've managed to access the ISF modes via RS-232 based on info from Pioneer.

I've managed to access the day and night modes and get them to save

But when I select them via the user menu (using IR remote) they grey out access to the pro controls etc.

It means I can't access the usual cinema modes or tweak the brightness 'on the fly' after I've selected either day or night ISF.

Is this normal? It seems such a shame that access to even basic user functions is denied in the ISF modes

The ISF modes are "locked." They cannot be adjusted from the user menus as they are meant to be a CI feature. ControlCAL makes it very easy to adjust them when you need to.
post #21246 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

When the Kuro has to adjust to AR/resolution changes, it can be slow and annoying. I find that it works much better to not have the Kuro do the screen size adjustments and take care of it in the tuner box. So, turn off all the Auto Size functions in the Kuro and use your STB settings to output the signals the way you want them displayed. For example, if you want 4:3 content stretched to fill the screen....do it there, not in your Kuro. This approach has the added advantage (usually) of giving you more control over side mask color.

You guys are going to think i'm crazy,but everytime i see a post like this that explains settings or adjustments i save it in my favorites.I'm getting the 500 after next week.
post #21247 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:

The ISF modes are "locked." They cannot be adjusted from the user menus as they are meant to be a CI feature. ControlCAL makes it very easy to adjust them when you need to.

Thanks I was hoping the modes weren't this restrictive...

I've knocked up a basic Windows app to get me into ISFccc and allow me to tweak/save the settings via RS-232.

I was hoping the TV would allow me access to the same controls via the remote/menu once the ISF was unlocked. i.e. I hoped this was an option that I've missed in my Windows app.

I didn't really want to keep a PC connected to the TV...
post #21248 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

You guys are going to think i'm crazy,but everytime i see a post like this that explains settings or adjustments i save it in my favorites.I'm getting the 500 after next week.

Nah....you're not crazy. But you'll be up to speed in no time once you have your panel. You'll quickly get a sense of what the various settings do and you'll decied what you like best. And for the stuff that's still confusing....we'll be here.
post #21249 of 30526 Old 11-26-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Fan View Post

Thanks I was hoping the modes weren't this restrictive...

I've knocked up a basic Windows app to get me into ISFccc and allow me to tweak/save the settings via RS-232.

I was hoping the TV would allow me access to the same controls via the remote/menu once the ISF was unlocked. i.e. I hoped this was an option that I've missed in my Windows app.

I didn't really want to keep a PC connected to the TV...

It's a little inconvenient, but not as much as you'd think. Once you set the modes the way you like them, you'll not really need to tinker with them anyway. In my case, I leave a "pigtail" serial cable attached that I can just pull out and plug my serial-USB adapter into. It's pretty convenient compared to squeezing behind the TV to find the serial port every time.
post #21250 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
^^^ Or, you could hire Reed Richards...
post #21251 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

^^^ Or, you could hire Reed Richards...

Are you gonna make me Google that???? Who's Reed Richards?
post #21252 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you gonna make me Google that???? Who's Reed Richards?

Obviously not a comic book fan.

Reed Richards (aka Mr. Fantastic) is the leader of the Fantastic Four, published by Marvel Comics. There were also a couple of FF movies a few years back. His power is the ability to stretch and reshape his body. So he'd have no problem getting behind your Kuro to access the serial port or make adjustments. But he's a genius, so he wouldn't come cheap.

One of the things I made sure of is that I have sufficient space to get behind my equipment to make any changes needed. It's the minimum amount, as the room's not big, but I can access anything behind my 111 I have to. Worst case I could slide the 111 forward a bit; moving the console would be a HUGE pain.
post #21253 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I could never get into comic books. All those superheroes started to look alike after awhile.

Buy I do like Batman!
post #21254 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I could never get into comic books. All those superheroes started to look alike after awhile.

Buy I do like Batman!

There's a recent animated movie, Public Enemies, featuring Batman and Superman, which is out on both DVD and BD, which I thought was good. You get some politics (Luthor is president, and there's even a reference to Nixon), some slam-bang (for demos) and a nice look into the Batman/Superman dynamic. The voice actor who does Batman, Kevin Conroy, does an amazing job.
post #21255 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When the Kuro has to adjust to AR/resolution changes, it can be slow and annoying. I find that it works much better to not have the Kuro do the screen size adjustments and take care of it in the tuner box. So, turn off all the Auto Size functions in the Kuro and use your STB settings to output the signals the way you want them displayed. For example, if you want 4:3 content stretched to fill the screen....do it there, not in your Kuro. This approach has the added advantage (usually) of giving you more control over side mask color.

And then there's option 3, which is don't fiddle anything. That's actually what I do. The Pioneer's remember the zoom mode you used last on a per-resolution basis. The Pioneer does a much better job with it's "Wide Zoom" processing than my DVR.

Auto Size sounds like it should be the answer, but I was more annoyed that it kept kicking my 1080i material out of dot by dot to full, than I am by occasionally having to switch from Wide Zoom to Zoom for the occasional SD letter box movie.
post #21256 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Seeking the great D-Nice to calibrate my 111FD. I am in NYC and I know he will be up here in a few weeks.

D, I sent you a PM as well.
post #21257 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post

And then there's option 3, which is don't fiddle anything. That's actually what I do.

I don't think that's a 3rd option, since we're still just talking about two basic approaches: (1) having the AR/resolution adjustments occur before the signal gets to the Kuro, or (2) having the Kuro make these adjustments. (Sounds like you prefer the latter.)

Of course everybody wants a setup that handles different ARs the way they want without having to fiddle with settings all the time. Fortunately, that's usually fairly easy to accomplish, as you've found. The question was really just about the best way to do it, i.e., which component offers the most elegant solution.
post #21258 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Fellow Pro-151fd owners. I just recently got one and it has been working fine the last few days. However, just today, the set suddenly powered down and I can't turn it back on. The standby light flashes...it had been on for maybe 4 - 5 hours.

I have tried to unplug it, wait a few minutes, plug it back in, powered it on...tries to turn on, then goes into standby mode again. Anyone seen this behavior before? I did a search in this forum but only see an issue with older sets and the behavior is different (flashing blue light first).

I have my inputs going into the HDMI ports and sound is being handled by my a/v receiver.

Thanks
manny88
post #21259 of 30526 Old 11-27-2009, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny88 View Post

Fellow Pro-151fd owners. I just recently got one and it has been working fine the last few days. However, just today, the set suddenly powered down and I can't turn it back on. The standby light flashes...it had been on for maybe 4 - 5 hours.

I have tried to unplug it, wait a few minutes, plug it back in, powered it on...tries to turn on, then goes into standby mode again. Anyone seen this behavior before? I did a search in this forum but only see an issue with older sets and the behavior is different (flashing blue light first).

I have my inputs going into the HDMI ports and sound is being handled by my a/v receiver.

Thanks
manny88

I hate to say it, Manny, but I think you need to call for service.
post #21260 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think that's a 3rd option, since we're still just talking about two basic approaches: (1) having the AR/resolution adjustments occur before the signal gets to the Kuro, or (2) having the Kuro make these adjustments. (Sounds like you prefer the latter.)

Absolutely. Albeit I'd have to check my settings this week, I may be letting my HR20 output 480p. Frankly, I'm just not that critical about SD content coming from my satellite box - it's not very good quality to begin with. Without clear evidence to the contrary, I just try to avoid cases where multiple scaling would be necessary. For instance, my PS3 can scale DVDs up to 1080p24 where I can use the dot by dot mode, so I take advantage of that.

Anyway, my main point is that feeding the different resolutions in to the Kuro gives it more information from which it can choose how to handle the video and that should be part of the decision making process.
post #21261 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 03:07 PM

ive had my unit for 6 months now and it blows me away, especially after seeing other people's units.

We are in an elite club now. Our units arent made anymore; and with new regulations in California setting
power conservation regulations on Tv's i dont see how they are going to be able to sell plasma sets there in the future.

If one watches concerts on low light it actually looks like your in a movie theatre with a projected image. I think its the gas panel technolody in the Pioneer plasma that gives this effect, its almost like a flowing image from gas pixels as opposed to LCD.

try watching Palladia chennel if you can, those concerts are just mind blowing.

The new panasonic plasmas for 2009 still cant match us. The screens are reflective and the picture isnt as good.
Im sure they will try to incorporate Pioneer technology now that they purchased their plasma division , but it will take time, and who knows maybe the Cali regs wil become national.

I think we will have the best units until OLED gets cheaper and will be years away.

btw i didnt calibrate it yet so i amy even get a better picture when i do,

very happy with my unit and thanks to all in the forum.
i Got a good price also back then. 2500 at Best Buy.
post #21262 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't remember, are the Elites susceptible to electromagnetic interference? I may get an S-Video switcher and there's a warning about not putting it too close to TVs. This admonition may apply to CRTs, but i want to be sure.
post #21263 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 03:29 PM

i though a ticker going by on CNBC was some judder artifact; but i have an old regular TV hooked up using the cable box tuner and it showed up ther also .

>>Originally Posted by Jim Boden
Some of the worst judder I've seen has been in a movie theatre. Some movies are almost perfect and others aren't. It's something that has always mystified me.

Motion artifacts in films are intrinsic to the subject or insufficient cinematography.
post #21264 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't remember, are the Elites susceptible to electromagnetic interference? I may get an S-Video switcher and there's a warning about not putting it too close to TVs. This admonition may apply to CRTs, but i want to be sure.

I don't think electromagnetic interference will affect a plasma. I know that putting speakers close by is a non-issue. I have a monstrous full-range centre channel speaker sitting a few inches below my 111FD and it has no effect on it.
post #21265 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boden View Post

I don't think electromagnetic interference will affect a plasma. I know that putting speakers close by is a non-issue. I have a monstrous full-range centre channel speaker sitting a few inches below my 111FD and it has no effect on it.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Plus, one customer review of one of these switches I looked at says he's had no problem—and that was with a CRT.
post #21266 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, that's what I thought. Plus, one customer review of one of these switches I liked at says he's had no problemand that was with a CRT.

How many S-Video sources do you have? (And why?? )
post #21267 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

This admonition may apply to CRTs, but i want to be sure.

Yes, only CRTs use magnetically steered electron beams. Plasmas use teeny tiny digitally selected luminous cells.
post #21268 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by enf1945 View Post

....... and with new regulations in California setting
power conservation regulations on Tv's i dont see how they are going to be able to sell plasma sets there in the future.

There are already plasma sets available that meet the new requirements, and with advances in efficiency likely to come, I don't think it will really be an issue.

Personally, the only tech I see replacing my beloved 151 is OLED. By the time I'm ready to upgrade (10yrs has been my average so far) OLED should be just the ticket.

post #21269 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by enf1945 View Post

Our units arent made anymore; and with new regulations in California setting power conservation regulations on Tv's i dont see how they are going to be able to sell plasma sets there in the future.

So far state regulations (current and proposed) are relatively minor. Panasonic has already announced their plasmas will be ready when the time comes. The upcoming Energy Star rules are a different kettle of fish.
post #21270 of 30526 Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 PM

anyone want to sell their side 50 inch speakers of elite ??
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page