The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 774 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #23191 of 30646 Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Miami and I am looking for a calibrator here in the area to help me with my new set. Have had it for just a week and I have no idea how to make the picture look better. I have it on optimum mode and have not played with the settings at all. Pure seems a little too washed for my tastes. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23192 of 30646 Old 05-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by librapaj View Post

I live in Miami and I am looking for a calibrator here in the area to help me with my new set. Have had it for just a week and I have no idea how to make the picture look better. I have it on optimum mode and have not played with the settings at all. Pure seems a little too washed for my tastes. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

D-Nice is the Pioneer Guru, I think he makes tours to Florida. He calibrated my KRP-600m and I couldn't be happier. His email is audiovideofidelity@gmail.com

Barry
post #23193 of 30646 Old 05-27-2010, 11:32 AM

Hey thanks for the heads up. Greatly appreciated.
post #23194 of 30646 Old 05-29-2010, 10:25 PM

so does anyone know where I can pick one up still?

101FD, 500m, 600m, 6020FD, or 151FD?

I'm in the NoVa and NYC area.

send pm please
post #23195 of 30646 Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMINTR View Post

so does anyone know where I can pick one up still?

See the Where to Buy thread. Best chance is Best Buy/Magnolia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23196 of 30646 Old 05-31-2010, 01:04 PM

Hi I own a Pioneer 141fd. I recently had it ISF calibrated by Chad Billheimer, who is out of OHIO. I live in WV, so he drove at least 4-5 hours to my house. He covers a wide area I believe. Anyways, he did a great job. Before calibration, on my videogames, they were way too bright. Especially horror video games like Dead Space. And by turning down the in game brightness it still should have been less bright. After calibration it was perfect. He calibrated one input for ISF mode (advanced mode off) day and night and auto, and another for ISF (advanced mode on) day and night and auto; but if you want all your inputs calibrated he will do that for the same price. Chad also calibrated my new surround sound system. He was thirty minutes early too on arriving and his prices are more than fair. So if you need your AV stuff calibrated I recommend Chad Billheimer.
post #23197 of 30646 Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianquittia View Post

Hi I own a Pioneer 141fd. I recently had it ISF calibrated by Chad Billheimer (Chad B at AVS), who is out of OHIO.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

post #23198 of 30646 Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 AM

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum and crazy not seeing the Kuro threads in the top pages... guess thats what happens when we're old news hey even though this thing still kicks everyones a$$!!!

Question: is there a way to connect a RF base station directly to a 151? It's my understanding that the IR repeater port on the back is an output not a input? Which I believe only leaves me with sticking an emitter on the front of the panel. I have my pioneer BRP connected directly as it has a IR in.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
post #23199 of 30646 Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil99 View Post

Question: is there a way to connect a RF base station directly to a 151? It's my understanding that the IR repeater port on the back is an output not a input? Which I believe only leaves me with sticking an emitter on the front of the panel. I have my pioneer BRP connected directly as it has a IR in.

You're right...the IR jack is only an output. Another solution, if your remote system accommodates it, would be serial control. It works very well with the Kuros.
post #23200 of 30646 Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil99 View Post

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum and crazy not seeing the Kuro threads in the top pages... guess thats what happens when we're old news hey even though this thing still kicks everyones a$$!!!

yes, if the rf basestation will support rs232... like a urc msc-400...

no, if it will not...

to be honest, it's unlikely that you'll need an emitter on the panel... i've never needed one for a display... displays are usually "hittable" anywhere from the room in which they live (unless its a VERY large room)...

ymmv... but from my harmonys to the urc remotes i use now, it hasn't been necessary...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #23201 of 30646 Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

to be honest, it's unlikely that you'll need an emitter on the panel... i've never needed one for a display... displays are usually "hittable" anywhere from the room in which they live (unless its a VERY large room)...

Good point. The display is never "hidden away" in a cabinet like some components might be. That's probably why the IR jack is just a repeater.
post #23202 of 30646 Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Thank you very much and that's what I was expecting. I have a MRF-350 so serial isn't an option today. And due to location I still get the odd IR miss when it comes to activities that involve the TV.... this is actually my whole reason for going RF as the components are all on the left and the IR for the Kuro is on the right so emitter it is Thanks again guys!
post #23203 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone tell me what the DRE picture setting does?

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
post #23204 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post

Can anyone tell me what the DRE picture setting does?

Dynamic Range Expansion.

Personally I do not like it; makes things more "contrasty" and IMO more unnatural.

However, I have read that the display will clip WTW and BTB when the DRE is off. Hmmm...maybe it just clips one or the other...cannot remember.

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #23205 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post

Dynamic Range Expansion.

Personally I do not like it; makes things more "contrasty" and IMO more unnatural.

However, I have read that the display will clip WTW and BTB when the DRE is off. Hmmm...maybe it just clips one or the other...cannot remember.

I read this in a review of the 101 monitor.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan...or/index2.html

That is why I asked. It said it clipped WTW but BTB was fine. I have to use standard mode on my Bluray even though it clips whites because it is the best option for me right now. However after reading this section and the next in the review I am thinking that setting DRE to low might be the best opion. I am also wondering if it is the monitor and not the Bluray that is clipping whites.

post #23206 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I read this in a review of the 101 monitor.

Search is your friend. You can start by reading from here to here. Since you own a monitor you'll often get a bit better advice from other monitor owners some of whom don't read (or if they do read they don't comment in) non-model specific threads*.

*The KRP and 141FD threads are for Kuro monitors.

post #23207 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM

just picked up my 101FD yesterday!!!

had one a best buy and i just couldn't pass it up.
they had it on the floor for 2999$ they took 5% off + free calibration + free delivery

what are the major qualms about BB calibration? The guy at magnolia said they come out with a ISF certified contractor with his setup to calibrate. I mean im by no means an audiophile but it will clearly be better than anything i will do or know how to do for free.
post #23208 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho11ywood45 View Post

they had it on the floor for 2999$ they took 5% off + free calibration + free delivery

what are the major qualms about BB calibration? The guy at magnolia said they come out with a ISF certified contractor with his setup to calibrate. I mean im by no means an audiophile but it will clearly be better than anything i will do or know how to do for free.

Having it calibrated at BB is like getting your hair cut at supercuts you never know who your going to get but with that being said Mine was calibrated threw BB because I got this package deal a long with the black tie warranty so anyway I couldnt resist also I plan on getting it recalibrated in a few years . I got lucky he knew what he was doing and did a excellent job for me . BTW congrats on your new Kuro your going to love it !

My current HT
post #23209 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

I have a new 101 that I got about 6 weeks ago. Tonight I noticed that there is a pixel that is flashing red on and off. It is very noticable and very annoying. I have read the warranty limitations that came with the tv and it does not say anything about a flashing pixel and whether or not it will trigger a warranty repair.

post #23210 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho11ywood45 View Post

They certainly can't hurt it. The reservation around here is just that they might not have the expertise to really dial it in as accurately as some others might. But hey, try it, and if you like it....great. If not, reset it back to its defaults! No harm, no foul.

(BTW, you don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate a good calibration on your new monitor.... Just giving you a hard time. Enjoy your new toy. )
post #23211 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a new 101 that I got about 6 weeks ago. Tonight I noticed that there is a pixel that is flashing red on and off. It is very noticable and very annoying. I have read the warranty limitations that came with the tv and it does not say anything about a flashing pixel and whether or not it will trigger a warranty repair.

The good news is that it's a stuck (not dead) pixel. Those can correct themselves and disappear any time. The bad news is that there's no way to know whether it's going to stay stuck, get unstuck, or die completely. The other bad news is that a few errant pixels are not considered defective and generally will not trigger the warranty. (On the other hand, a good, service-oriented dealer will often swap it out when they can.)

Though I can't say I recall anyone saying it definitely worked, the common advice around here for stuck pixels has been to play Pixar-type content that "exercises" the pixels a lot. Good luck.
post #23212 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM

super stoked. ill let the BB guys do their thing.
post #23213 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

The good news is that it's a stuck (not dead) pixel. Those can correct themselves and disappear any time. The bad news is that there's no way to know whether it's going to stay stuck, get unstuck, or die completely. The other bad news is that a few errant pixels are not considered defective and generally will not trigger the warranty. (On the other hand, a good, service-oriented dealer will often swap it out when they can.)

Though I can't say I recall anyone saying it definitely worked, the common advice around here for stuck pixels has been to play Pixar-type content that "exercises" the pixels a lot. Good luck.

Thanks very much for the advice. Actually I'm not even sure if stuck is the right word. Sometimes it is constantly red, sometimes it flashes red and sometimes it works fine depending on the content. I've only had the tv for 6 weeks. Seems like Pioneer should do something about this. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say about it.

post #23214 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks very much for the advice. Actually I'm not even sure if stuck is the right word. Sometimes it is constantly red, sometimes it flashes red and sometimes it works fine depending on the content. I've only had the tv for 6 weeks. Seems like Pioneer should do something about this. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say about it.

No, that's definitely a stuck pixel. A dead pixel is consistently black, while a stuck pixel is intermittently responsive, or stuck on one color all the time. I understand that you feel Pioneer should "do" something about it, but it's not repairable, and it is in fact considered a normal part of the technology. You're likely to just get a lot of frustration seeking redress from them. Honestly, I would suggest you wait a few days and see if it resolves itself, and if not, try going to your dealer about it. If they can help you out, that will be infinitely easier than trying to go through the drawn-out warranty process with Pioneer.
post #23215 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

No, that's definitely a stuck pixel. A dead pixel is consistently black, while a stuck pixel is intermittently responsive, or stuck on one color all the time. I understand that you feel Pioneer should "do" something about it, but it's not repairable, and it is in fact considered a normal part of the technology. You're likely to just get a lot of frustration seeking redress from them. Honestly, I would suggest you wait a few days and see if it resolves itself, and if not, try going to your dealer about it. If they can help you out, that will be infinitely easier than trying to go through the drawn-out warranty process with Pioneer.

That sucks, I just bought this thing on April 25th!! Nowhere on the warranty sheet that I have does it say it won't cover a stuck pixel that is painfully obvious when watching certain content. I won't accept this. Not for the money I shelled out. We'll see tomorrow. I'll call magnolia and see If I can return it. If not I will call Pioneer and go from there.

post #23216 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sucks, I just bought this thing on April 25th!! Nowhere on the warranty sheet that I have does it say it won't cover a stuck pixel that is painfully obvious when watching certain content. I won't accept this. Not for the money I shelled out. We'll see tomorrow. I'll call magnolia and see If I can return it. If not I will call Pioneer and go from there.

BB has a great warranty and really back you up to make sure your happy from my experience anyway . So I see good things in the future for you regarding the issue if they can find you another Kuro but that could be a problem because they normaly will only look localy .

My current HT
post #23217 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

BB has a great warranty and really back you up to make sure your happy from my experience anyway . So I see good things in the future for you regarding the issue if they can find you another Kuro but that could be a problem because they normaly will only look localy .

Even if I didn't buy the BB extended warranty? I only have the Pioneer 2 year warranty and I am a week and half past the 30 day return period.

post #23218 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even if I didn't buy the BB extended warranty? I only have the Pioneer 2 year warranty and I am a week and half past the 30 day return period.

Are you a reward zone/premier member ? because if you are I think you get 60 days At least thats what I was told when I was trading in my Panny 65 V10 for my Pio 6020 kuro. They said because I was a premier member I had 60 days not 30 but I pushed the process faster and was done before 30 .

My current HT
post #23219 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never dealt with one of those Magnolia-inside-Best Buy stores, but the standalone Magnolia stores are known for their excellent service. If they have one they can swap it for, I suspect they will help you out, even though you're a little past the 30-day return period. (The catch is that this is a very big if....)
post #23220 of 30646 Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Are you a reward zone/premier member ? because if you are I think you get 60 days At least thats what I was told when I was trading in my Panny 65 V10 for my Pio 6020 kuro. They said because I was a premier member I had 60 days not 30 but I pushed the process faster and was done before 30 .

Thanks for the info. I am a reward zone member. I don't know about premier though. I will definatley look into that.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page