The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

My panel was a non-buzzer when I purchased a PRO-150FD last September, but after 1000+ hours of operation, not anymore.

Just to be sure that I am understanding you correctly; are you saying that your set did not buzz when you purchased it, and that it now does have a buzzing problem? If so, how many hours in to using it, did you first notice that it had started buzzing, and has it gotten worse the longer you have run it?

How loud is the buzzing now; how far away from the set can you hear it, and can you hear it all the time, or just under certain circumstances? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, posted in the wrong forum.
post #213 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM

optivity...."Except for the deeper blacks and greater CR, it appears that Pioneer is trying to eek out one more year of producing Kuro PDPs by using much of the same 8G display technology.

What are you looking for then if not deeper blacks ect.????

Waaaaa!!
post #214 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 AM

"but rather it seems like a lot of the problems with the 8G Kuros have found their way into the 9G series too."

That's more of a fair statement.

To me, buzz is something I've accepted and am willing to deal with - it is all but drowned out when I have surround on at even a low level (and I am much more absorbed by the experience.) Hopefully the dirty screen effect doesn't bother me, it certainly didn't when I watched several of the planet earth blu rays (many of which had wide open backgrounds of skys, deserts, etc). The PQ was so stunning I find it hard to believe I would be distracted by any dirty screen effect.

Kuro'd
post #215 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Just to be sure that I am understanding you correctly; are you saying that your set did not buzz when you purchased it, and that it now does have a buzzing problem? If so, how many hours in to using it, did you first notice that it had started buzzing, and has it gotten worse the longer you have run it?

How loud is the buzzing now; how far away from the set can you hear it, and can you hear it all the time, or just under certain circumstances? Thanks.

I can't say for sure how many hours of operation the panel had when I first heard it buzz, but I became aware of the noise recently and it has not increased in volume since I began to notice it.

The buzz is faint and I do not hear it while watching source content.

I sit ~14' away from the screen and listen to the PDP w/52-year-old ears.
post #216 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
From straight on?
post #217 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsamish09 View Post

optivity...."Except for the deeper blacks and greater CR, it appears that Pioneer is trying to eek out one more year of producing Kuro PDPs by using much of the same 8G display technology.

What are you looking for then if not deeper blacks ect.????

Waaaaa!!

Support for tru2way to start.
post #218 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

From straight on?

yes, dead center
post #219 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Hey guys. I"m very new to plasmas. I recently bought the new panasonic 50pz500u, which i find to be an excellent TV in terms of picture quality. the one thing that drives me completely nuts is the glass covering the screen. it reflects EVERYTHING, so everytime the scene is dark i can see myself sitting there. Is the Pioneer as bad? I'm really considering taking it back and getting one, but no store around my area has one on display. they can only order it for me, and that's after I take the one I have back. I'd hate to do that just to find the Pioneer is just as bad.
post #220 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Agreed but, now we are talking features.
post #221 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 AM

chump.

Single pane of glass. No reflection.
post #222 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, dead center

Try moving even 8"-12" either way and I'll bet it is completely gone.
post #223 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

chump.

Single pane of glass. No reflection.

There is refelection with the Kuro's, there just is no mirrored images, like can happen with plasmas that use two independent panes.
But it is a muted reflection and the best PDP on the market so far in that regard.
post #224 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Besides the elimination of a set-top box (which tru2way still has to use now, btw) what are the advantages?

Here is the wikipedia entry:

"Tru2Way is the brand name for interactive digital cable services delivered over the cable video network, for example interactive program guides, interactive ads, games, chat, web browsing, and t-commerce. The brand also appears as “” and is used to market cable services, applications, and devices that support the tru2way cable architecture. Tru2way is the successor, consumer-focused, name for technology known as OpenCable. Major cable operators have committed to deploy support for the tru2way platform in service areas covering more than 90 million U.S. homes by the end of 2008.

CableLabs, the industry’s research and development arm, licenses the brand to cable companies and cable programmers that deliver tru2way applications and services, as well as consumer electronics (CE) manufacturers that build devices that support such applications and services. Use of the mark on CE devices requires CableLabs certification testing for conformance to the tru2way specifications (also known as the OpenCable Host 2.1 Specifications). Tru2way includes a middleware technology that may be built into televisions, set-top boxes, and other devices. The technology enables cable companies and other interactive application developers to “write” applications once and see them run successfully on any device that supports the tru2way architecture. With tru2way technology, consumers can access interactive digital cable programming, including video-on-demand and pay-per-view content, without the need for a cable operator-supplied set-top box. The tru2way technology is capable of supporting all cable services now delivered to consumers via leased set top boxes, as well as future services written to the tru2way platform."

So let's see, it has interactive program guides, interactive ads, games, chat, web browsing, and t-commerce. And it will support on-demand and pay-per-view. I can do all of that with my current set-top box (besides chat; and who wants to interact with advertisements - sounds like fun!) or by plugging the ethernet cord into the Kuro. I have a PS3 and 360 for games.

What else does it do besides eliminate a set-top box?

Kuro'd
post #225 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Sorry to doubt you but I've never seen it.

Sorry eagles....I reread his post and first thought he meant mirrored reflection. My bad.
post #226 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

optivity, I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with your display but this raining on the parade borders on fear-mongering. Guess I'm not going to come here any more to enjoy the impressions of other 9G owners. Who needs it when an 8G owner parries every positive with a negative?

Agreed, there seem to be alot of new 9G Owners "me included" that have no problems, and are really injoying their new panels. We don't need one individual running around planting random doubts in our heads. This is far and away the best panel I've ever owned and I'm not going to stop enjoying it to spend time worrying that it's going start "buzzing" a year from now.
post #227 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quite the turnaround on the Kuro front from you.
This is a quote from another thread on 05-01-08:

"It's hard to get the Kuro fanboys to deal with reality, so why bother trying???"

Why the change in heart? I remember just a short time ago debating you on the Kuro's.
post #228 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM

After my first experience with optivity, I take everything he says with a grain of salt. His knowledge and expertise is there, but his social skills seem to be lacking.

When I first posted about getting a 151, optivity's first comment to me was an inquiry about whether I had a house to put it in! What kind of 52 year-old says that to an anonymous person on the internet?! Too funny.

When I get my next 151, I will take some pictures of my setup as well as the view from my backyard so optivity can rest comfortably knowing that my living arrangement is up to par.

Kuro'd
post #229 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedOne View Post

After my first experience with optivity, I take everything he says with a grain of salt. His knowledge and expertise is there, but his social skills seem to be lacking.

Yikes!

I guess I need an Intervention w/Dr. Phil.
post #230 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:

optivity, I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with your display but this raining on the parade borders on fear-mongering. Guess I'm not going to come here any more to enjoy the impressions of other 9G owners. Who needs it when an 8G owner parries every positive with a negative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post

Agreed, there seem to be alot of new 9G Owners "me included" that have no problems, and are really injoying their new panels. We don't need one individual running around planting random doubts in our heads. This is far and away the best panel I've ever owned and I'm not going to stop enjoying it to spend time worrying that it's going start "buzzing" a year from now.

Just keeping it real dudes... I'm sorry if you're bothered by my unwillingness to simply 'parody' the more popular opinions of this Forum.
post #231 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Barnman,
Did the delivery guys look at you like you were crazy for taking all of those pictures??
lol.
My delivery guys for my 6020 had the "oh my god, what have we just walked into" look on thier faces when I started snapping pictures of them unloading the TV.lol
post #232 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Just keeping it real dudes... I'm sorry if you're bothered by my unwillingness to simply 'parody' the more popular opinions of this Forum.

In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya:

I do not think it means what you think it means.
post #233 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
optivity I anticipated a "just keeping it real", "you can't deal with reality" response from you. You're trying to impose your reality on others. Your "keeping it real" is not mine. Your perception of reality is not mine. I'd wager that you, in the guise of "being of service" or for the "edification of others" are really motivated to disturb as many as you can until you feel better.

Interesting you chose the word "parody". I could run a riff on that and what a Dr. Phil intervention might do for you but i won't.
post #234 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Quite the turnaround on the Kuro front from you.
This is a quote from another thread on 05-01-08:

"It's hard to get the Kuro fanboys to deal with reality, so why bother trying???"

Why the change in heart? I remember just a short time ago debating you on the Kuro's.

Really no turn around at all, I always, and my posts will back this up, have said that Pioneer panels are the best overall plasmas out there. However, what the "Kuro Fanboys" didn't like me saying was that I felt the difference in MSRP $$$ wasn't equal to the difference in performance. Now I still stand by that although as you know the MSRP has come down since last Gen and for me it became worth the cost difference.
post #235 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Those guys probably thought you were off your rocker taking all those pics! The look on the guy on the left probably pretty much sums up what they were thinking.

Oh and I watched the video too. And now I know why they remembered you!

Congrats!

That's funny man! By the way, the guy on the left was the one who remembered me! He's been working for Showcase for eight years, and it was six years ago when he delivered my older Pioneer. I recognized him and particularly his voice right off the bat.

Before everything started, I simply told them that I was a audio/video enthusiast and loved documenting any changes my system goes through. I asked them if it would be ok to take pictures and I let them know I was going to continually shoot. They were great sports!

Here in Scottsdale, and I'm sure other areas too, that some of their customers don't really know what they are buying into. Those customers are mainly interested because "it's a big TV". These guys could tell I understood what I was buying into.

Being a enthusiast, I told them from the start that I would be doing all the hookups. Like many of you, I'm very comfortable with all this stuff and I already had a game plan on how it was all going to be connected. In my other posts, I documented much of the prep work that went into making this delivery go quick and smooth. I even had it down to all the steps on how it was all going to take place.

Each delivery is different as I'm sure they never quite know what they are going to run into next. With me, they didn't even have to think! I went through the steps and they followed it verbatim. I even took one of the guys through a very quick trial run as how it was going to take place. That took less than a minute and even before I was finished with the trial run, the other guy that was outside had already taken the 151FD out of the truck and had it on the ground! The whole thing happened very fast, and after about the 3rd step, I could tell they both knew I had it well organized. Once it was all over and done with, I asked them if their other customers prep as much as I did. The general concensis was "I would not believe". Don't get me wrong, I know all customers are as good of customers, some or many either don't have the time to prep or have no clue as to how to help out. However all have ease of mind knowing that the extra money they are paying will take care of everything. It makes it very easy for the customer. Heck, I'm sure many of their deliveries get very involved and beyond my capabilities. That's what these guys are paid for, they do a great job, and their services are greatly appreciated.

If it was not for these guys, the 151FD would still be in it's box! Seriously, without getting that 250bls of a picture tube off that one cabernet, I'd still be trying to figure out how to get it all started!

Also, knowing how "starved" everyone is for images when it comes to the Kuros (including me) I thought it would be nice to give everyone a sense of what a delivery of one would be like.

That was my goal!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #236 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewise View Post

Congrats on the 151, Barnman. How much did you have to tip those guys to do all that? I was thinking I'll be lucky to get the delivery guys to wait for me to turn on the TV whenever I get mine, much less help setup the stand and all.

Hi Davewise,

Here's the total extra cost. Delivery (with hook up/etc) came to $59.95 and I tipped them $10 each.

WELL worth it since like I mentioned in the other post, if it was not for these guys, the 151FD would still be in the box!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #237 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:

optivity I anticipated a "just keeping it real", "you can't deal with reality" response from you. You're trying to impose your reality on others. Your "keeping it real" is not mine. Your perception of reality is not mine. I'd wager that you, in the guise of "being of service" or for the "edification of others" are really motivated to disturb as many as you can until you feel better.

Interesting you chose the word "parody". I could run a riff on that and what a Dr. Phil intervention might do for you but i won't.

You are right, we live in different worlds. I express a few simple observations regarding Pioneer PDPs based on my experience owning a PRO-150FD, but since you don't agree with my opinion your response is to engage in personal attacks against me instead.

Yours is the 'typical' Pioneer fan boy reaction towards anyone who does not share the same opinion as you.

However for my $6500 9G PDP, I expect more than a continuance of same kind of problems that the 8G buzzing, dirty screen Kuro PDPs have.
post #238 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 576
I think some people have these issues and others don't. I think some people are more sensitive to certain issues and others aren't. I haven't had any issues with either my Pro 150 or 950. The vast majority of you 9g owners won't either and are very lucky to have the latest & greatest!

Enjoy!
post #239 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Thebarnman,

Sweet!

Thanks for the pics. I heard from my dealer today. Should receive mine next week. My delivery fee is your total cost(with tip). Same company. {:-(

Problem may be with break-in disk. Don't sweat it. The power of suggestion is an 800lb gorilla.
post #240 of 30532 Old 06-18-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Problem may be with break-in disk. Don't sweat it. The power of suggestion is an 800lb gorilla.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page