The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 890 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #26671 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Thanks for your report!

Is it possible to "sharpen" up the picture even more by setting the orbiter to "off"?

(KRP 500M)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26672 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

Is it possible to "sharpen" up the picture even more by setting the orbiter to "off"?

(KRP 500M)

how close are you sitting anyways?

I know few owners disable the orbiter for 1080 feed for that...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #26673 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

I just forgot that "dot per dot" disables the orbiter... he he(It does, doesn't it?)..

Im sitting to far away anyway(over two meters). It stands on a JTR(It's 28 inch high)speaker now. And if I move it closer, then the speaker will be to close. I have to come up with a way to have the display closer but the speaker on its original place so the front speakers forms an arc.

The problem with this configuration is that the speaker stands vertically on the floor, and my plan is to tilt the speaker up a little bit so I can aim the tweeter better. But then I have to get a plasma trolley with legs that allows the tweeter to spread the treble towards me and not be dispersed(I sthis the right word..?) from the trolley legs. I kind of like the idea to have the speakers at the same height.

Is this a really bad idea, or just bad?
post #26674 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Watching the YouTube feed of the shootout, does anyone notice that only the Samsungs don't flicker? Except during the "judder" tests, I don't see any.
post #26675 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

It was decided that Elite would be a distinct brand. I don't recall the specific reason, though I suppose it does represent a joint venture of sorts, even though Pioneer is partly owned by Sharp if I recall correctly (I believe I heard the Elite rep mention that).

It should have a distinct look then too ..... but without the Kuro cosmetics I don't think it would sell because that is the psychological edge to marketing this tv..you first have to think it's a KURO, then settle in for the usual LCD/LED bs and if you buy into it,then it worked..it's a fine tv, so don't get me wrong..the best LCD/LED out there without a doubt..but without the Kuro cosmetics would it get your attention? could it stand on it's own as a Sharp tv, and is it a keeper like the Kuros we own?
post #26676 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I just forgot that "dot per dot" disables the orbiter... he he(It does, doesn't it?)..

Not in general. See Orbiter Mode 2.
post #26677 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

It should have a distinct look then too ..... but without the Kuro cosmetics I don't think it would sell because that is the psychological edge to marketing this tv..you first have to think it's a KURO, then settle in for the usual LCD/LED bs and if you buy into it,then it worked..it's a fine tv, so don't get me wrong..the best LCD/LED out there without a doubt..but without the Kuro cosmetics would it get your attention? could it stand on it's own as a Sharp tv, and is it a keeper like the Kuros we own?

To me it looks like a hybrid of the two (Sharp and Pioneer). I thought it odd that Pioneer licensed the "Elite" name to Sharp since Pioneer still brands some of its products "Elite."
post #26678 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

..but without the Kuro cosmetics would it get your attention? could it stand on it's own as a Sharp tv, and is it a keeper like the Kuros we own?

yes
yes
yes

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #26679 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Not in general. See Orbiter Mode 2.

bodosom already covered it, that is what orbiter mode 2 is for, this is the option I use

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #26680 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

It was decided that Elite would be a distinct brand. I don't recall the specific reason, though I suppose it does represent a joint venture of sorts, even though Pioneer is partly owned by Sharp if I recall correctly (I believe I heard the Elite rep mention that).

Sharp is the largest shareholder of pioneer. Being that they would have certain partnership and access "privileges"

And Sharp's strategy/ marketing and restructuring is probably the most successful of all the Japanese this year.
post #26681 of 30682 Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
And what's good for Sharp in this case is also good for Pioneer (hurrah!).
post #26682 of 30682 Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 AM

The Elite is still an LCD, i'm sticking with Plasma...Whenever my 151FD goes out, i'll buy another Plasma if they're still around
post #26683 of 30682 Old 11-12-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿche 1 View Post

The Elite is still an LCD, i'm sticking with Plasma...Whenever my 151FD goes out, i'll buy another Plasma if they're still around

+1................................here's hoping our KURO's out live us
post #26684 of 30682 Old 11-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone know why you cant do picture in picture or multi-picture with 2 x HDMI inputs? Can do with other inputs (component etc) and HDMI but not with both HDMI's...
post #26685 of 30682 Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Anyone know why you cant do picture in picture or multi-picture with 2 x HDMI inputs?

It's a design limitation.
post #26686 of 30682 Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Anyone know why you cant do picture in picture or multi-picture with 2 x HDMI inputs? Can do with other inputs (component etc) and HDMI but not with both HDMI's...

You can mix one digital and one analog input for the multi picture options like PIP, but not two digital. So HDMI/component or PC works but HDMI/DVI does not.
post #26687 of 30682 Old 11-13-2011, 02:48 AM

Ok, cheers. Gonna need a 12m component lead then. Bugger. Will keep the second HDMI in for redundancy / future connection now I've bought it.
post #26688 of 30682 Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

Saprano,

Below is a measurement of a backlit local dimming LED-LCD showing just how much CR changes by changing the checkerboard pattern. Essentially all the contrast gained from local dimming is lost when the pattern is greater than 4x2. This is due to the diffuser spreading light across the panel from the active LED zones.

I see. Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Nice review by one of my favorite reviewers. Two things I noticed were he was using a 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 signal from the Oppo which would cause the high chroma roll off in the 141. That is known and well documented. Outputting and RGB 16-235 signal would have corrected that.

The other item I noticed was he actually saw the cyan problem on the Sharp Elite but failed to identify the problem (I highly doubt he measured that color at different stimuli levels) per the quote below:

"I noticed a subtle green shift in some dark images on the Pioneera shift I couldn't account for in the measurements. The dark Jotunheim scenes in Thor showed this consistently, while they were a more neutral gray on the Elite"

Thor has the, now standard, Orange/Teal color tones that Hollywood is so in love with and that green look should be there as it is a part of that stylized look.

I was thinking the samething when reading that part. I knew something was wrong with his player.

D-Nice, T.norton says that his 141 gets darker than the elite on the darkest scenes. But you mentioned to me, when i asked, the little better black levels (compared to the regular 9G's) on the elite is noticeable on very dark scenes.

Calibration differences? subjectivity?

home theater addict
post #26689 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 AM

I have a Kuro Pro-111FD.

In my old PC, I used to use DVI-to-HDMI to use the TV as a monitor. I'd have to manually adjust the resolution to one the TV could support. I couldn't use a high resolution because everything would look too small on the TV, so I'd use 1024 x 768 resolution.

I now have a new PC, with a Radeon 6870 video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125357

I am using HDMI from the video card to connect to the TV now. It displays TV at the monitor's native resolution, which is 1680 x 1050.

If I'm browsing the web though, then the content looks too small on the TV.

1. Is there a way to have my video card output dual resolutions? One to my monitor, and another to my TV? If so, I'd like for the TV resolution to be a bit lower. If I'm watching a streaming movie or other video, the native monitor resolution is probably fine. But if I'm also going to be viewing web content, then it's too small.

2. If not, then is the only other solution to change my resolution to a lower one, for when I want to use the TV as a display (and view web content)?

If this is the only other option, I'm ok with it. I had to do it previously too when I had my former PC. And I had to switch cables too, to the DVI-->HDMI one.
post #26690 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post

I have a Kuro Pro-111FD.

In my old PC, I used to use DVI-to-HDMI to use the TV as a monitor. I'd have to manually adjust the resolution to one the TV could support. I couldn't use a high resolution because everything would look too small on the TV, so I'd use 1024 x 768 resolution.

I now have a new PC, with a Radeon 6870 video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125357

I am using HDMI from the video card to connect to the TV now. It displays TV at the monitor's native resolution, which is 1680 x 1050.

If I'm browsing the web though, then the content looks too small on the TV.

1. Is there a way to have my video card output dual resolutions? One to my monitor, and another to my TV? If so, I'd like for the TV resolution to be a bit lower. If I'm watching a streaming movie or other video, the native monitor resolution is probably fine. But if I'm also going to be viewing web content, then it's too small.

2. If not, then is the only other solution to change my resolution to a lower one, for when I want to use the TV as a display (and view web content)?

If this is the only other option, I'm ok with it. I had to do it previously too when I had my former PC. And I had to switch cables too, to the DVI-->HDMI one.

If you only have the Kuro connected, then the native res is no longer 1680x1050. Your video card should have no problem sending 1920x1080 to the Kuro. If things look too small, then use a larger font size.

I was pleasantly surprised with the new laptop I got which has a screen res of 1366x768. But when I connected my Kuro via the HDMI output on the laptop it figured out the display was 1920x1080 and sent it.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #26691 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I must ask, but has anyone got Pioneer to do anything about their dirty screen effect. Mine seems to be getting worse. I tried cleaning the screen with distilled water and it seems to have helped improve the dse on horizontal pans, making the vertical lines less noticeable especially if I'm not looking for them. However, I get horizontal lines on vertical pans as well and they are very distracting. I notice them no matter what, if I try to find them or if I don't. Will Pioneer do anything for me?
post #26692 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

I would also like to know what type of damage can be done to these tv's if I clean the screen with a damp cloth (distilled water) while the screen is still warm? I did some research and some people have reported fixing the dse from cleaning immediately after turning off the tv.
post #26693 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 AM

OK, so you have two options under the AMD catalyst options: you can either do two displays (laptop display and KURO display), or you can have single display--Your keyboard on laptops is your input and your output is the KURO only...i.e. bypass of the monitor on your Laptop.

Either way, there is an option to output two different pictures at TWO different resolutions (you will see the laptop as 1680x1050 and the KURO at 1920x1080)

You have to play with it there, but there is a setting there (you can always google it for more detailed step by step way). I woudn't even use the PC input, you are losing pixels that way. Just use one of the HDMI inputs.

I use my laptop all the time to play movies in bedroom---works like a charm with a Radeon 5850 laptop card. If you can't make it work, google it...all the information is out there...make sure you have the latest drivers for your AMD Radeon card (catalyst 11.1 now?, i don't remember).

Also, if the font is too small you can increase the fonts to be 125% normal or 150% normal under the options menu for windows (assuming you do use windows).

On windows 7 --right click on deskstop, click on personalize, look for where it says "display" on bottom left (on my computer it's on bottom on left side), and then you will see the options where it says medium 125% and large 150%..play with them to see which one you like.

Alternatively, you can access the same menu from

Control panel->Appearance and Personalization->Display.

Hope this helps.

And this works 100%...i have done it many of times.. Also, because of overscan, you might want to change picture to Dot-by-Dot once you have the laptop hooked up...that way there won't be any Overscan.
post #26694 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

I would also like to know what type of damage can be done to these tv's if I clean the screen with a damp cloth (distilled water) while the screen is still warm? I did some research and some people have reported fixing the dse from cleaning immediately after turning off the tv.

I don't cleaning is going to fix the DSE on our sets. (those few that claim it did are probably seeing the placebo effect) Mine has horizontal streaks that mostly show on vertical pans. It's not something that be cleaned off. Either the pixels are slightly uneven in their brightness, or the AR coating is unevenly applied or somehow streaked. I think we are stuck with this issue.
post #26695 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

I don't cleaning is going to fix the DSE on our sets. (those few that claim it did are probably seeing the placebo effect) Mine has horizontal streaks that mostly show on vertical pans. It's not something that be cleaned off. Either the pixels are slightly uneven in their brightness, or the AR coating is unevenly applied or somehow streaked. I think we are stuck with this issue.

So if I wanted to try it and see what would happen, is it safe? I wouldn't damage the glass at all or have it crack on me if I was to wipe it with a microfibre cloth and distilled water while the screen was still warm?

Just wishing something would make it slightly better. The ones on vertical pans are annoying to the point I can see them without looking for them. Horizontal pans you have to look for to see and I can't notice them unless I look for them, but not the same with the vertical pans. If it was, I wouldn't be as bothered by them.
post #26696 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if I wanted to try it and see what would happen, is it safe? I wouldn't damage the glass at all or have it crack on me if I was to wipe it with a microfibre cloth and distilled water while the screen was still warm?

Just wishing something would make it slightly better. The ones on vertical pans are annoying to the point I can see them without looking for them. Horizontal pans you have to look for to see and I can't notice them unless I look for them, but not the same with the vertical pans. If it was, I wouldn't be as bothered by them.

You can try it..but that coating is very delicate and you might make things worse. IF it fixes the problem I'd be very happy!
post #26697 of 30682 Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I must ask, but has anyone got Pioneer to do anything about their dirty screen effect. Mine seems to be getting worse. I tried cleaning the screen with distilled water and it seems to have helped improve the dse on horizontal pans, making the vertical lines less noticeable especially if I'm not looking for them. However, I get horizontal lines on vertical pans as well and they are very distracting. I notice them no matter what, if I try to find them or if I don't. Will Pioneer do anything for me?

I don't see DSE on my set, but I did see a fair amount of SDE(screen door effect) on it before I had my set calibrated. After calibration, SDE is completely gone. Proper cal will really clean up and sharpen the image. It may help DSE but again I didn't notice on my set. If others have seen improvement in DSE after calibration, that may be your best bet.

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #26698 of 30682 Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

I don't see DSE on my set, but I did see a fair amount of SDE(screen door effect) on it before I had my set calibrated. After calibration, SDE is completely gone. Proper cal will really clean up and sharpen the image. It may help DSE but again I didn't notice on my set. If others have seen improvement in DSE after calibration, that may be your best bet.

Calibration can't help SDE or DSE. SDE is seeing the actual pixel structure..you can't change that at all with calibration (unless you added more pixels..lol) although you perhaps may not notice it as much at a lower brightness level. DSE is a defect in the panel or screen coating. No way calibration is going to fix that either!
post #26699 of 30682 Old 11-16-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm having trouble getting Dolby surround sound to work with my current setup.

My setup is not even complicated, yet I'm having a hard time getting this to work.

I have both a DirecTV and Dish Network receiver, and XBOX connected to my Kuro 5020 via HDMI. From the TV, I'm using Optical Audio Out to my Sony STR-DE595 home theater receiver's Optical In port.

The problem I'm experiencing is that I'm only getting audio on the center speaker for all my sources, even though the Kuro is set to Dolby Digital.

Any advice how I can remedy this? My home theater receiver is in a cabinet which is why I prefer to just change video inputs on the TV instead of also changing the input on the receiver as well.
post #26700 of 30682 Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmtl1 View Post

I'm having trouble getting Dolby surround sound to work with my current setup.

My setup is not even complicated, yet I'm having a hard time getting this to work.

I have both a DirecTV and Dish Network receiver, and XBOX connected to my Kuro 5020 via HDMI. From the TV, I'm using Optical Audio Out to my Sony STR-DE595 home theater receiver's Optical In port.

The problem I'm experiencing is that I'm only getting audio on the center speaker for all my sources, even though the Kuro is set to Dolby Digital.

Any advice how I can remedy this? My home theater receiver is in a cabinet which is why I prefer to just change video inputs on the TV instead of also changing the input on the receiver as well.

You cannot pass DD the way you have your equipment setup. You need to connect your optical out from your sat boxes directly to your receiver or run your sat boxes to your receiver via HDMI and then HDMI from your receiver tl your Kuro.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page