151FD Product Brochure

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

The Official 9G Pioneer General Discussion Thread

9G Elite Reviews

D-Nice's Review of the Pro-111FD

Sound and Vision's Review of the Pro-111FD

Ultimate AV's review of the Pro-111FD

CNet's review of the Pro-111FD

It seems I'm the first to get the PRO-151FD in this forum so I figured I'd start the Thread.

First impressions:

Can notice blacker blacks over 5010. It's hard to tell were the bezel ends with the black bars.

Initial start up is set to performance mode.

While in the menu. Very slight buzz when you put your head behind the set. Can't hear it in front at all. Haven't try TV or video yet but I will before I start break-in.

Update regarding buzz:

While running the break-in disc, I do hear a buzz which does change pitch from dark to light screens, light screens higher pitch, but I have to be 2 to 3 feet from the front to hear it and it's the same as my 5010. My DVR box is louder then the buzz.

Not the brightest backlite remote I've seen. It's a little hard to see if the room is very dark.

I like the menus better then the 5010. I didn't care for the windows xp-ish menus in the 5010.

It has a great tool menu that comes up from the bottom during viewing which you can change settings like picture mode and screen size. Here's the post of the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=10

PRO-111FD/151FD Specs:

- High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920 x 1080p)

- 50”/60" Diagonal Class / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio

- 1080 Progressive Image Reproduction with ability to accept 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i / and TRUE 1080p 24fps signals

- New Deeper, Intense Blacks for Unmatched Contrast (5x Previous Generation)

- New Thinner Cosmetic Design with ››Elegant Acrylic Bezel

- New, Improved Optimum Mode. Automatically analyses and adjusts audio and video settings according to specific room light conditions and type of light and color. Program content is also monitored and finely adjusted so movies, sports and news are all faithfully reproduced. Includes OSD with status.

- New External Color Sensor

- Room Light Sensor for automatic picture adjustment adjustment

- PureCinema Smooth Film Motion mode to eliminate motion jutter in 3:2 Pulldown (60Hz) providing natural even playback of content created on film

- 4 Independent HDMI 1.3 inputs with HDMI-CEC control and the ability ››to accept 1080p 24/60Hz signal

- Standard 3:2 (60Hz) and Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown (72Hz) for accurate playback of film content

- Fully integrated ATSC and NTSC Tuner with Clear QAM

- Home Media Gallery – offering a multimedia experience to enjoy movies, music and photos through an existing home network or USB memory device

- ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for both day and nighttime viewing. Includes:

- Independent Gamma Control (R / G / B) for heightened color ––calibration

- V-Chip Parental Control

- Remote Control – Illuminated / Preset Mode / Learning Mode

- New Advanced Redesigned GUI

- A/V Selection Memory – 10 options for viewing preferences: Optimum / Performance / Sports / Movie / PURE / Game / Standard*/ ISF-Day / ISF-Night / ISF-Auto (PC input: only Standard)

- Aspect Ratio Control – 9 positions: Auto* / Full / “Dot by Dot” / Zoom* / Cinema* / 4:3 / Wide* (only for SD) / Wide1* (only for HD) / Wide2* (only for HD) *Except PC signal

- Advanced Picture-in-Picture (4 positions), Picture-side-Picture for use with Home Media Gallery & Broadcast and Still Picture capability

- After-Image Reduction Function

- Orbiter (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Auto Size (Off/ Natural / Wide-Zoom)

- Side Mask Detection (Mode 1 – for black side masks / Mode 2 – for black & illustrated side masks)

- Side Mask Brightness Sync (Fixed / Auto)

- Video Pattern (White Bar)

- Game Control Preference (AV Selection: only Game) (Off / On)

- Fine Tune Setting for ultimate picture control of color temperature, noise reduction and color management

- Intelligent Mode (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Room Light Sensor & New External Color Sensor (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

See less See more
#29,221 ·
Right now my 101fd is great and i am confident it will last a while.But if i have to replace it i will go with a ZT60 until OLED gets cheaper and reliable like a plasma.

#29,222 ·
My thought is that Manufacturers will hold up significant production of OLED until they put out 4K OLED, which may be a while and with many Elites starting to show their age(red tint, higher mll's, etc) it all going to be a waiting game. Of course there may be a slight chance that either Panasonic or Samsung will produce a slightly better Plasma next year, if not, it's going to be 4K LED's taking over for a while, and they may all be edge lit too!

#29,224 ·
^ Yes, 4K will *start* to make PJs acceptable to me. They are not, so far (I came to Kuro from one). Very hard to go from Kuro back to PJ, if you put quality first. Those pixels will only go so far, so we need more of them. (Look at the size of them on some of the larger Sharps too! You are forced to sit farther away, even if you don't want to.) PJs all look fuzzy to me...yes another spoilt 1st world problem.

#29,225 ·
I got to give Kudos to Pioneer's customer service department. They are sending me a usb drive to hopefully fix a recent issue with my OTA tuner freezing up. I did preface my request by saying I haven't seen a tv with a better picture for the almost 6 years I have owned it. I would rather try the update before doing a factory reset as I am thinking that would the ISF calibration I had done?

#29,226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor  /t/1039269/the-official-pioneer-9g-elite-kuro-owners-discussion-thread/29190#post_23650737

Question I have for all of you fellow Kuro owners is......How long can you hold out for OLED, or 4K OLED specifically......especially in the 60" and 65" sizes? I think a lot of people are underestimating the time for OLED coming in at reasonable ($3-5K)prices for 60-65" sets. I think we are talking 4-5yrs at best. I really think that companies will truly hold up mass production of OLED until they can get the 4K OLED sets out there. It will be a very tough sell to have your OLED sets more expensive than your 4K LED sets, since the public will choose 4K LED every time.

Do you think you Kuro's will hold up that long and if not what will you buy in the interim?

Hopefully it will be a very long time before I have to replace my 151. It's been 5 years since I bought it and it still impresses me.

#29,228 ·
Picture quality is on the brink of going down the edge lit LCD toilet!

OLED is a pipe dream that's taking too long to get here and Chinese 4K LCD that stinks is right around the corner.

Who can take it?!

The only thing that is standing between the free world and the New World Order of LCD that sucks is plasma.

If you currently own any type of Pioneer Kuro under no circumstances whatsoever buy any type of LCD--I don't care if they say it is 8K--it will still suck!

Until the calvary of the pipe dream OLED gets here--if you have to buy--buy plasma--once plasma is eliminated the picture quality universe will come to an end.

The last Kuro left with a picture still visible will be showing Apocalypse Now with the words...the horror!

It will then take an insurgent army from China beach Vietnam to fight the evil LCD forces that will then dominate the world!

The only thing worse than the LCD pictures will be the brainwashed that will post here about how that LCD looks good!

Empty crumbling coliseums denote the end of the Roman empire. One day LCDs in landfills will denote the end of the video empire.

I call on all the billionaires of the world to join the crusade against LCD. If you can't watch quality TV then what good are billions and billions?

Save me vinnie97--I'm about to lose it!

#29,229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94  /t/1039269/the-official-pioneer-9g-elite-kuro-owners-discussion-thread/29220#post_23654425

Hopefully it will be a very long time before I have to replace my 151. It's been 5 years since I bought it and it still impresses me.

I feel exactly the same way, I am hoping I get another 5 years and that would be the longest I have had one TV by a long shot.

#29,230 ·
I had planned to keep my 6020 for a few more years (had it almost 4) but the red tint issue became an eye sore for me (I wish I never found that thread about it, lol). My VT will just be a stop gap for the next 3-4 years. I believe we are 4-5 years away from having an affordable 60-65" OLED set. Affordable to me being around $3k.

#29,232 ·
Because i always feel more comfortable sitting as close as possible to my KRP - i prefer my field of vision to be taken in whilst watching pristine HD and gaming.

I will never want (or) need anymore than 55". So when i eventually buy U-HD OLED 0MLL i will be already perfectly equipped for appreciating the extra resolution by sitting closer anyway. Hopefully in four to five years we will have "4K" material by then that isn't overly compressed.

I bought my new 500M recently knowing fine well it would be lasting me until that time. I'm glad now that the blu-ray's are getting better all the time and 1080P console gaming is nearly upon us. Much more to be positive about (in a pristine content sense) than there was when the 9G's first came out.

With the Kuro's streets ahead ANSI there is plenty of life left in 1080P yet.

I don't forget how years ago i could see more details in a 720p 8G showing a blu-ray than a high end 1080P LCD due to black/ANSI and processing superiority.

#29,233 ·
I apologize for doing a 8G Kuro post here, but activity is so low in the 8G threads that I'm stumped for information.

We turned out set off Thursday evening, and when I turned it on Friday afternoon I got a "Please Wait" message and no other image on the screen. After a minute the message went away and there were eight blinking LED lights. I left the set disconnected for about 90 minutes and tried again. Everything was the same except that now the signal was twelve flashes. I've tried two more times and still get twelve flashes.

From what I've learned, our set's problem seems to be related to the OTA turner and TV Guide based on the 12 blinking lights. The problem, as reported by others, seemed to start out as one that interrupted viewing sessions but, could be temporarily be corrected by going from on to stand by and back to on.

In our case, I turned the set off the previous night and couldn't get it back on the next evening. More relevent perhaps is that we have never had an external antenna connected, scanned for channels, or used the TV Guide function. I recall that the only firmware upgrade that I'm aware of was to make changes to the OTA tuner. I didn't install it. Also, we have never had a cable box connected directly to the TV. We have always used an AVR to switch sources.

If anyone remembers a solution or analysis of this problem, I will appreciate hearing from you. My main concern is that the fix requires replacing a board that is no longer available.

#29,234 ·
Shut the TV off at the back switch and wait a little bit then turn it back on and see of the set comes on after that.,

#29,235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch  /t/1039269/the-official-pioneer-9g-elite-kuro-owners-discussion-thread/29220#post_23667258

Shut the TV off at the back switch and wait a little bit then turn it back on and see of the set comes on after that.,
Thanks for the reply. I've done that several times including disconnecting the set from power.

D-Nice thinks the power supply is a good place to start. I'll be looking for a repair service Monday.

#29,236 ·
I just bought a used 111FD and am loving it. I have a question regarding power cycling so I can maximize how long the TV will last.

Let's say that I am watching TV, need to take a 30 min break for dinner, then will watch TV again for another 30 minutes, then will make a 30 minute phone call, then watch TV for 30 minutes then turn it off for the night.

Is it better to turn it off during all of those 30 minute breaks (to keep the hours low) or is it better to leave it on to prevent the additional on/off sequencing?

I have the unit hooked up to a beefy 1000VA UPS unit. Anything else I should do to preserve the set?

#29,238 ·
Apologies for the silly question, but how do you do that? I'm only aware of the Power button the remote and the power button on the bottom of the unit. How do you turn off only the screen?

Also, for your advice, at what point is it better to turn it off fully? 3 hours between watching session, more?

#29,239 ·
In remote got to tools. Choose picture off. Use exit to bring it back. Treat it like a computer. keep it cool. Three hours is a good limit.

#29,240 ·
My 600M and 101 were calibrated by Dnice over the weekend and he exceeded my expectations.

The 101 has around 6000 hours on it so its color accuracy had shifted and there was a very slight red tint on the right side of the screen which I had noticed before. He tamed the red tint to a point where it's unnoticeable, corrected colors, and lowered my black level (three readings were taken: 0.0000, 0.0001, 0.0002). It's peak isf day light output reached 50ftl. Nice!

The 600M has around 1700 hours on the set. Pre-calibration it's colors seemed more accurate than the 101, most likely because of less hours, but the black levels were not near the 101. They didn't need to be side by side to notice the difference. Post calibration, colors gamma were improved even more and the black levels are now at the same as the calibrated 101.

Overall the pictures of both are more pleasing with much more pop and contrast. Dnice was very professional and is a great guy. I highly recommend his services to those whom haven't had Dnice work his magic.