The Official PANASONIC PZ850u thread - All sizes (settings, feedback, etc...) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1862 Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CragAntler View Post

I think those functions are only available in "Custom" mode. Other presets won't let you tweak there.

Good thought, I'll try it and report back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1862 Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 AM

Tried it last night in 'studio reference' mode. 24/48Hz is still grayed out, and so is 'zoom' if I wanted to remove the black bars. Not sure what's going on, anyone else with this issue?
post #273 of 1862 Old 12-06-2008, 07:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post

Tried it last night in 'studio reference' mode. 24/48Hz is still grayed out, and so is 'zoom' if I wanted to remove the black bars. Not sure what's going on, anyone else with this issue?

Check in the menus on the BD player and make sure it is outputting 24p signal. The only way the 850 will allow you to adjust the 48/60hz is if it's receiving a 24p signal. I have the BD-30 and there is a menu option to set the player to 24p output. I can change the 24p option in any picture mode. As for the zoom thing, I'm not sure. I just hit the "format" button on the remote and it cycles through the picture/stretch options.
post #274 of 1862 Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No reason to post this, other than being CRAZY excited about my new screen, coming in 8 days!

I'm still reading through all the posts...it's great that other owners share their settings for the 58PZ850.

I have the Monster calibration disc...is there any value to going through the settings using this? (sorry if this question/answer is already posted). Obviously I'll be starting with settings already posted in this thread.

I'm a plasma newbie, so please...I hope you'll bear with my rookie questions .

DAMN...how do I wait until next weekend
post #275 of 1862 Old 12-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaT View Post

Check in the menus on the BD player and make sure it is outputting 24p signal. The only way the 850 will allow you to adjust the 48/60hz is if it's receiving a 24p signal. I have the BD-30 and there is a menu option to set the player to 24p output. I can change the 24p option in any picture mode. As for the zoom thing, I'm not sure. I just hit the "format" button on the remote and it cycles through the picture/stretch options.

I have that same Blu-ray player, and have mine set to 24p for everything, since most all theatrical filmed movies are shot at 24 fps.

However, some DVDs are shot in SD and HD video, and I have not had to change the settings on my BD-30 to play them. What's up with that?
post #276 of 1862 Old 12-07-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded the "Burn-in Images" link provided in this thread onto an SD and, if I did so correctly, it consists of varying shades of Red, Blue, Green and White. Could someone please tell me how to use these images most effectively, i.e., for how long...at what settings...etc.? I have already used the TV in varying picture modes (mostly "Standard") and with a variety of content (DirecTV SD & HD/BluRay, VieraCast, SDHC video) for about 20 hours. Thanks!
post #277 of 1862 Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I downloaded the "Burn-in Images" link provided in this thread onto an SD and, if I did so correctly, it consists of varying shades of Red, Blue, Green and White. Could someone please tell me how to use these images most effectively, i.e., for how long...at what settings...etc.? I have already used the TV in varying picture modes (mostly "Standard") and with a variety of content (DirecTV SD & HD/BluRay, VieraCast, SDHC video) for about 20 hours. Thanks!

Im currently breaking in my pz850. Im using studio ref mode with all slides dialed in at 40. Also, the images are set to change every 30 seconds.
post #278 of 1862 Old 12-08-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazi0ne View Post

Im currently breaking in my pz850. Im using studio ref mode with all slides dialed in at 40. Also, the images are set to change every 30 seconds.

Thanks. How often and for how long at a time? Also, technically speaking, what does this process actually do?
post #279 of 1862 Old 12-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks. How often and for how long at a time? Also, technically speaking, what does this process actually do?

I have been pretty liberal with the whole breakin process. Ill leave it on for 24 - 48 hours at a time, then watch some movies and full screen content. Leave it off for a day, then start over.

According to everything I have read, it helps evenly break-in the Plasma Phosphors. Also, as it helps avoid IR you would normally get in the first 150+ of use.

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.
post #280 of 1862 Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Does it make any difference whether you play the SD card with break-in images directly from the TV's SD slot or from that of a BluRay player, such as the DMP BD35K, which I also own?
post #281 of 1862 Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 AM

It doesn't make a difference, break-in wise. But I would think its better to use the SD reader from the TV. There are no moving parts on it - minimizes the risk of something freezing. Also - it's less wear/tear on that nice BD player of yours
post #282 of 1862 Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Well I took delivery of my New 850U today! It looks amazing. I am running the SD break in slides right now. I can't wait for 100 hours! I have it on studio mode with everything set to 43. Is it okay that i have the color set to 'cool'?
post #283 of 1862 Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1231 View Post

Well I took delivery of my New 850U today! ...Is it okay that i have the color set to 'cool'?

is

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #284 of 1862 Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CragAntler View Post

Don't get too hung up on the 800u's THX preset as somehow being more accurate or "perfect" than the 850's Studio Ref. preset. Both are meant to display colors accurately, but from two different perspectives: HDTV vs. Cinema.

The THX preset on the 800 conforms color accuracy to the standards of color set for broadcasts of HDTV signals. It does not mean the colors displayed by this set using the THX preset are more accurately depicting the colors as seen by the naked eyes of the cast and crew. It merely certifies that the colors depicted meet the standards for HD broadcasts agreed upon by the industry.

As I understand it, the Studio Ref. preset -- with Digital Cinema Color set to "on," -- is meant to depict color more accurate to how filmmakers intended them to be seen, rather than HD broadcasters.

If you think about this, neither preset does -- or even can, if you ask me -- guarantee lifelike color accuracy, simply because everbody opinion on what's lifelike is completely subjective. So one must simply choose based on their own particular taste.

One might consider, however, that it's much easier to dial it down from a wider color gamut than it is to increase from a narrow one. In fact, it's impossible to increase from a narrow gamut, so any tweaking is a simulation at best. If I wish to have less "pop" in my 850U, I can simply desaturate the color setting a notch or two to get closer to the HD broadcast standard.

Perhaps one's viewing habits are the best determiner for which standard to go for. Those who watch mostly documentaries and reality programming in HD may more appreciate the THX preset; where those who prefer to watch theatrical films and fictional TV shows will be happier with the D.C.C., knowing the colors they see are closer to as intended by the producers and filmmakers.

One final note: Even in real life, on sunny days, I wear sunglasses that filter out certain rays and colors in order to see the world more vividly and less "washed out" as it would be to my naked eye. So my question then is: Exactly what is "accurate" anyway?

Dogs don't even see color at all, and yet we know that colors are present. Yet, to the dog, a black & white TV picture is quite color-accurate, indeed. In fact, the dog would probably be of the opinion that even adding the slightest bit of washed out color to its vision would be oversaturation and unrealistic.

And even with my beloved Studio Ref preset, certain shows do not look so good due to the director's lighting requirements. For instance, I watch the new drama, Life On Mars, about a modern-day NY cop who wakes up in 1973. The producers wreak havoc on my SR preset by shooting all the '73 scenes with yellow filters (among others) to add a sense of nostalgia to the visuals. The result of this is it completely throws the blacks way too dark.

The only solution to this would be to have a dozen or so customizable presets that I could tailor for specific 'special needs" shows such as this. Such a set does not yet exist, so next best solution is to use the one custom preset and create a special list of settings for this specific show and change them prior to watching. Or just live with the too deep blacks.

Bottom line: I prefer the wider color gamut as the vast majority of my viewing is theatrical films and ficitional TV shows. I watch those in Studio Ref preset. Documentaries and reality shows I watch in Custom preset where I dial down the color satch and tweak the other settings for more lifelike colors.

~ Crag

Crag, thanks for this post. I went to look at the 850 and they had transformers on Blu ray split between three different 850's. I didn't like the yellowish tint, especially on the skin tones. The whites looked good though strangely. I like the idea of the wider color gamut but can't get over the yellowish skin tones. It sounds like this can be toned down by your post.

The skin tones on the 800 looked good on the panasonic made demo playing.

I put the transformers blue ray on my crt hd at home and the tones were some what yellow also. So it looks like transformes was a bad example.

I use the ps3 as a media server and am only looking at the 850 for the extra color gamut over the 800. Is this worth the extra $?

I'd like to buy this month but would like to see normal skin tones on the 850 before doing so. They are both good prices currently.

Do stores let you use your own blue ray discs?
post #285 of 1862 Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 PM

Hello all!

I've been lurking here & learning for a couple months now. Decided to say "hey"! Thanks for all your open & candid discussions. I've learned a lot. I grew up in the television business in a small rural town & consider myself a "phosphor junkie". Grew up on B&W then color CRT's. I've owned a couple CRT RPTV's (one STD-RES & a Mits WS-65813) & today ordered my first plasma! Panasonic TH-58PZ850U and a DMP-BD35K. I was planning on hanging it on the wall for lack of a suitable stand but found a gorgeous one at the last minute. I pick up the furniture Thursday night to setup over the weekend & hopefully the 850 will be here next week!

Thanks all!
post #286 of 1862 Old 12-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts4me View Post

Crag, thanks for this post. I went to look at the 850 and they had transformers on Blu ray split between three different 850's. I didn't like the yellowish tint, especially on the skin tones. The whites looked good though strangely. I like the idea of the wider color gamut but can't get over the yellowish skin tones. It sounds like this can be toned down by your post.

The skin tones on the 800 looked good on the panasonic made demo playing.

I put the transformers blue ray on my crt hd at home and the tones were some what yellow also. So it looks like transformes was a bad example.

I use the ps3 as a media server and am only looking at the 850 for the extra color gamut over the 800. Is this worth the extra $?

I'd like to buy this month but would like to see normal skin tones on the 850 before doing so. They are both good prices currently.

Do stores let you use your own blue ray discs?

The 850 demo probably had the picture mode set to warm. I experienced this same yellow tint when in studio reference mode. Though it looks good for some films, it does not work for others. Fortunately, you can just change the color temp to "normal" and this goes away...

I too was in the position between 800 and 850. I chose the 850 for the extra punch. Natural is good, but I have an LCD background and prefer saturated colors sometimes. I also have high hopes as more people come familiar with the unit and service menu calibrations.
post #287 of 1862 Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:

The 850 demo probably had the picture mode set to warm. I experienced this same yellow tint when in studio reference mode. Though it looks good for some films, it does not work for others. Fortunately, you can just change the color temp to "normal" and this goes away...

I too was in the position between 800 and 850. I chose the 850 for the extra punch. Natural is good, but I have an LCD background and prefer saturated colors sometimes. I also have high hopes as more people come familiar with the unit and service menu calibrations.

Thanks. I will go back and see if this makes the skin color more natural. I will bring my own blu ray disc and see if I can use that.
I'm hoping the 850 works out.
post #288 of 1862 Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

is

Not sure if previous poster was talking about setting his '850u to "Cool" for viewing or break-in purposes, but fwiw, I found to be too blue.
post #289 of 1862 Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Sooo someone released some service menu settings for the THX 800 HDTVs in their thread - seems to make a great deal of a different for the THX mode..

I'm hoping someone, who knows what their doing, with an 850 - will do the same
post #290 of 1862 Old 12-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Sooo someone released some service menu settings for the THX 800 HDTVs in their thread - seems to make a great deal of a different for the THX mode..

I'm hoping someone, who knows what their doing, with an 850 - will do the same

I'd like to see them too. I'm currently using the 'CNET Settings' except 'normal' instead of 'warm'. I'm happy with them, but would love to see the best this set is capable of.
post #291 of 1862 Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 PM

Just got my 46PZ850U today and am running the pictures via the SD card to break it in (thanks to Kutter for posting these a while back). Couple of questions for the resident gurus:
1) Any idea why these units ship with the picture settings at 100? Everyone says to break them in at less than 50 so why are they shipped so bright?

2) I'm finding Studio Reference to be a little dark but really liked the pop of the vivid preset. I've read a few posts reccomending staying away from Vivd and Game mode. Maybe I'm just used to a brighter/washed out picture, but would long term use of the pic modes damage my tv?

Can't wait to get this baby ISF calibrated!!!
post #292 of 1862 Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandertn View Post

Just got my 46PZ850U today and am running the pictures via the SD card to break it in (thanks to Kutter for posting these a while back). Couple of questions for the resident gurus:
1) Any idea why these units ship with the picture settings at 100? Everyone says to break them in at less than 50 so why are they shipped so bright?

So that they look good on display in comparison with other displays in well lighted showroom.

But I am not so certain that leaving the picture at 100 is as bad with these units as with older modlels. Flip back and fourth between Normal and Studio modes and then look at the settings. The perceived overall brightness does not track the picture settings. I think that this is due to the Panel brightness setting that is selectable in Pro Mode. The manual says this on page 57--

Panel brightness: Selects the display panel brightness.
(High: Vivid, Mid: Standard, Low: Studio ref)

So the 100 picture setting in Studio is not brighter than the much lower setting in Standard.

Quote:

2) I'm finding Studio Reference to be a little dark but really liked the pop of the vivid preset. I've read a few posts reccomending staying away from Vivd and Game mode. Maybe I'm just used to a brighter/washed out picture, but would long term use of the pic modes damage my tv?

No long term it will not but in the near term you should avoid both Vivid and Game. I think you might be happy punching up Standard or Studio.
Quote:

Can't wait to get this baby ISF calibrated!!!

I would wait a long time unless you are willing to give up Vivid. Vivid is not just a brighter picture it is an inaccurate picture. Seriously you will be giving up much of the value in calibration.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #293 of 1862 Old 12-11-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd like to see them too. I'm currently using the 'CNET Settings' except 'normal' instead of 'warm'. I'm happy with them, but would love to see the best this set is capable of.

Which CNET settings are those...the one for the '800u or the '850u?
post #294 of 1862 Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 AM

I'm using the settings for the 850u.

http://reviews.cnet.com/9602-12576_7...&tag=mncol;txt
post #295 of 1862 Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using the settings for the 850u.

http://reviews.cnet.com/9602-12576_7...&tag=mncol;txt

Thanks. Is there any difference using these settings with the 58" model? Anyway, these settings look much like what I've experimented with which l found very pleasing. The only choices I would question here are setting Digital Cinema Color (DCC) to "Off." I happen to like the added punch it gives to the colors. Also, rather than the "Warm" setting, which adds a tinge of reddishness, I'd rather use the "Normal" setting and turn the color up to something closer to the mid-point. JMHO
post #296 of 1862 Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Is there any difference using these settings with the 58" model? Anyway, these settings look much like what I've experimented with which l found very pleasing. The only choices I would question here are setting Digital Cinema Color (DCC) to "Off." I happen to like the added punch it gives to the colors. Also, rather than the "Warm" setting, which adds a tinge of reddishness, I'd rather use the "Normal" setting and turn the color up to something closer to the mid-point. JMHO

Wow, then you and I are using the EXACT same settings. I like the extra pop DCC imparts. It's subtle, and perhaps not as 'correct' but I like it better, and it doen't overpower grayscale, or subtle texture differences.
I also like the 'Normal' mode best so far. The warm is just a bit too yellow/red for my liking.

I watched 'There Will Be Blood' last night. It's just stupid how good it looked, especially with outdoor scenes.
post #297 of 1862 Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also like the 'Normal' mode best so far. The warm is just a bit too yellow/red for my liking.

I also find warm to be too red; skin tones are not correct and people with naturally redish faces look, well, strange. My benchmark by the way is an older Panasonic PDP for which warm was clearly the most accurate setting.

Did you notice though that the CNet settings were for "a completely dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source."

Good catch oatmeal.

-Bertrand Russell
post #298 of 1862 Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

I also find warm to be too red; skin tones are not correct and people with naturally redish faces look, well, strange. My benchmark by the way is an older Panasonic PDP for which warm was clearly the most accurate setting.

Did you notice though that the CNet settings were for "a completely dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source."

Good catch oatmeal.

How do the cnet settings pan out in the daytime?
post #299 of 1862 Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Most of what I do / will do with the set is watch movies, and most of the time it's at night in a very dark room. My primary goal is to get the best movie experience, and this makes darkness a necessity. I've never liked watching movies in a well lit room anyway, so for my use, these settings are great so far.

I think in bright light one might want to use the 'standard' setting, tweaked to their liking. When I've watched TV with the lights on, the CNET settings are good, but I can see how one may want more brightness and pop in a well lit room.
post #300 of 1862 Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Long time lurker, 1st post. Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for my purchase of new 58in. All questions answered through searches, no need for posting! I really wanted a pioneer, but price and fear of buzzing was big factor. I'm at about 170hrs, and super happy with my choice! Here are some positives why I'm glad about my purchase:

-price, I forgot to add cost of new tilt mount, 50ft cable, Dvr, avr, and speakers- no way I could afford better plasma, plus got free bvd w/panny.

-quality, no dead pixels and super quiet for such a large tv!

-picture, gorgeous colors and so many settings to choose from. Pictures on sd card look life-like! Blueray and sdvd's look amazing.

-brightness, coming from lcd's, this concerned me. In home, not a problem- better on my eyes than my lcds! At about 70hrs break-in, picture got brighter! Now using stud.ref alot during day.(breakin images may of helped)

I'm now using stud. ref for most and standard for extra pop. Standard gives me that lcd pop for daytime or bright white hockey games. I'm trying to find a custom setting that falls between stud.ref and standard. I tried cnets custom settings and the colors are'nt as good as studio reff, any suggestions?
Thanks again to everyone, and for an awsome forum for anything av related!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page