The Official PANASONIC PZ850u thread - All sizes (settings, feedback, etc...) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post

Yep that's when I see it as well. I realize it being a 58" TV, no one will be 2 inches from the set. I was just a bit nervous somethings wrong with the panel. I'm still a Newbie when it comes to Plasma's.

I absolutely love this TV! I cannot see how I've been blinded all these years watching an LCD. It's like someone took the blinders off me. Picture is Stunning. Blu Ray disks are fantastic compared to the XBR5! I'm in heaven and a plasma guy for life!

CW

I'm new to plasm also and enjoying it. I still love my lcds too. The bright lcds are great in other rooms and are used for watching news, scores, or late night shows. Never have to worry about static images, tickers, etc. But for the main event.. we fire up the plasma! The bright pop on lcd now gives me eye strain watching too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

Here are my settings ( no prof calibration):

Custom
Picture 70
Bright 50
Color 34
Tint 0
Sharpness 50
Color Temp Normal
Color mgt Off
Digital cinema color Off
C.A.T.S Off

Pro Settings
Panel bright Mid
Contour Off
Gamma Mid
Black extension 2
W/B High R -7
W/B High B -10
W/B Low R 1
W/B Low B 0
AGC Off

Advanced Settings
everything Off
Black Level Light

thanks Razvanel, I was looking for a custom setting to try! Would this be brighter than studio ref with gamma at mid?
post #363 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Liked: 17
Yes, I will be posting my settings, these will include any and all changes made to the service menu's w/b menu.

I'm just about there, still trying to dial the gamma to a more appropriate 2.2.

In spite of its present setting of 2.06, the picture is stunning, just got done watching Dark Knight, this is now officially my reference disc when showing off this sets capability!

Panel brightness is clean and noise free when set to low, anything above low is noisy as hell.

Curious as to whether others have noticed this?

These latest graphs and charts were at 600hr. by the way.

Custom setting.

Robert - Detailed Calibration Summary.pdf 23.59375k . file
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #364 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ret513 View Post

thanks Razvanel, I was looking for a custom setting to try! Would this be brighter than studio ref with gamma at mid?

Not sure about that, I'm trying to get rid of the red push on this TV by using the custom settings above. The studio ref still had too much red push for me when I checked it.

R
post #365 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmike View Post

Since there has been some warranty discussion, how many owners have purchased extended warranty? and why/why not?

Hey shanmike, I just purchased a warranty from Cleveland Plasma.Very easy off his website. Great guy,and answer any questions
Why- you get 3yrs+1yr from Pan. = 4yrs coverage
- in home svc, I'm not taking this tv down to go get repairs!
- I hear of some having circuit boards go out on plasmas.
post #366 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 PM

[quote=NoVaT;15313879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post

I used this, and it works great.

Thank U. I will give it a try!

Chris
post #367 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I'm new to plasm also and enjoying it. I still love my lcds too. The bright lcds are great in other rooms and are used for watching news, scores, or late night shows. Never have to worry about static images, tickers, etc. But for the main event.. we fire up the plasma! The bright pop on lcd now gives me eye strain watching too long.

I agree. I still have a Sammy in my bedroom and I love the picture.
post #368 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrockets View Post

Yes, I will be posting my settings, these will include any and all changes made to the service menu's w/b menu.

In spite of its present setting of 2.06, the picture is stunning, just got done watching Dark Knight, this is now officially my reference disc when showing off this sets capability!

Panel brightness is clean and noise free when set to low, anything above low is noisy as hell.

Custom setting.

Was the noise something you noticed post-calibration? My panel brightness is set to Mid with only little noise on certain material, but hardly distracting.

I'm not to versed on these charts, but is the light output bumped up at all in the service menue? I'm guessing you did the adjustment on the custom preset only.
post #369 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

... I just purchased a warranty from Cleveland Plasma.Very easy off his website. Great guy,and answer any questions

I did the same thing, and can report the same ease.
post #370 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Liked: 17
Once I dialed the contrast and brightness in it was completely gone! None.

Again, I could only achieve this cleanliness with the setting at low panel brightness, I also achieve better black levels and a more linear grayscale under the low setting.

Contrast and brightness settings were made under the Custom menu only, nothing was touched in the service menu except the W/B settings.
post #371 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Custom setting.

Wow Robbie those numbers look great. This is very timely for me as I just ordered the 58" 850 today. Scheduled to arrive on Thursday, after that, break in non-stop for 9-10 days and then I'll be calibrating and have it all set up before Christmas. Pls post your settings when you get a chance. How does one get into the service menu?

Oh and for anyone from Toronto who finds this post and is looking for a good dealer who can cut you a break on a plasma, PM me and I'll let you know what I did. Thanks also to Chris from Cleveland Plasma who was willing to work a X border deal with me until the exchange rate when all pear shaped. A stand up guy for sure.
post #372 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

Hello all,

I am currently the owner of a Samsung Series 7. It is a great set, but over the weekend I saw an older 700u model playing dark knight and I was a amazed.

I actually owned a 700u for about a week and then went to the sammy due to its pop. Yes I was suckered by the pop. It is quite obvious to these eyes that plasma is IT. I jst did not give my old 700u a chance. Anyway, I am interested in gettting the 850u at this point. I am looking to get it through an authorized online retailier, as even best buys bundle deal is not as good as an internet deal. I will not discuss price, but we know that deals can be found.

My question is, for those who have purchased this set online AUTHORIZED, where did you go? It seems that just because someone says they are authorized, does not necessarily mean that it is so.

I just called US apppliance/ABC Warehouse and the gentleman said that he is an authorized dealer for Panny. I called panny to verify and the panny rep said that they were not on the lise. WTF? Who do I believe? What should I do? I want a great deal that is auth. Is this place authorized or not?

audiolover, instead of purchasing online, visit your local Magnolia A/V store. If they are anything like my local store, they will agree to price match to the same price as any official Panasonic online retailer.

When I said I would have to go home to research that, the Magnolia rep got online right there for me and found a better price, then matched it. Of course he could not match the zero sales tax, but I saved the expensive shipping cost by getting local delivery and a local dealer to take care of any issues should they pop up.

In the end, I saved over $300 off their retail price on the 850, though not quite as much as purchasing online with shipping. The benefit of purchasing locally was worth a few extra bucks, however, so I'm quite satisfied with their price match. Maybe this will help... ~ Crag
post #373 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 PM
bwb

[quote=buylongterm;15308084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb View Post

What wireless adapter do you plug in the back of your TV? I have a wireless access point, I just need a wireless adapter that I can connect my TV into so it sees the access point.

(Unless your saying you plug the TV and the BD-35 into the access point and you have a wireless router that sees the access point).

Correct, TV and BD-35 connected via ethernet cable to access point which wirelessly connects to my router.

bwb
post #374 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

If I understand this correctly your saying that if I make some adjustments in the studio reference mode and I don't like them all I need to do is press the reset button and the studio reference mode goes back to what it was out of the box.

Am I right on that?

The reset is there for each mode, and resets to factory defaults. There is a separate reset for Pro Settings in Custom as well.

I've had this set for about 2 months now and have no regrets. I understand your apprehension, but I do think the 850 is one of the best values and performers out there right now.
post #375 of 1862 Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Once I dialed the contrast and brightness in it was completely gone! None.

Again, I could only achieve this cleanliness with the setting at low panel brightness, I also achieve better black levels and a more linear grayscale under the low setting.

Contrast and brightness settings were made under the Custom menu only, nothing was touched in the service menu except the W/B settings.

Interesting...

I have been traveling lately, but when I get back - I will have to see how the brightness differs on low mode. I fear it may be too dim for my liking as I have been so accustomed to LCDs in the past.

Never the less, looking forward to your settings/instructions
post #376 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF7FSU View Post

I already had googled and checked and that page. It has no info about who is eligible. My question was strictly limited to people personal knowledge since they do not list the employers that are eligible. But thanks anyway.

Best bet is to check with your employer and see who they partner with for the epp. I can tell you that at&t has a Panasonic epp.
post #377 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Hey shanmike, I just purchased a warranty from Cleveland Plasma.Very easy off his website. Great guy,and answer any questions
Why- you get 3yrs+1yr from Pan. = 4yrs coverage
- in home svc, I'm not taking this tv down to go get repairs!
- I hear of some having circuit boards go out on plasmas.

Awesome ret, thanks!
post #378 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 AM

I have searched the Panasonic website for the pedestal stand for the 65pz850 but found none listed...
There is a unit listed for the pz750...
Is this the same unit for the pz850 also?
A model number would be helpful if anybody has it.
Thanks
post #379 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

I have searched the Panasonic website for the pedestal stand for the 65pz850 but found none listed...
There is a unit listed for the pz750...
Is this the same unit for the pz850 also?
A model number would be helpful if anybody has it.
Thanks

They take different pedestal, 65pz850u takes TY-ST65R4-WG and the 65pz750u takes TY-ST65R2-WG. I would call VIERA Concierge Hotline at 877-95-VIERA (877-958-4312) to make sure.
post #380 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 AM

Laughing (a little) as I post this, but wondering if anyone else has run into this...

Set up the new 58/850 last weekend, and am carefully doing the break-in. We're watching some full screen, etc, the usual stuff.

Seats are about 11 feet from screen, and my wife says to me "we're sitting too close". Meantime, I was thinking "hmmm, I wonder if we should move the seats a foot closer".

So, question is... have you had that kind of comment from someone that's not as 'into' the awesome picture quality as you?

FWIW, we went from a 50" Sony Grand Wega RP to this.
post #381 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraProject View Post

Best bet is to check with your employer and see who they partner with for the epp. I can tell you that at&t has a Panasonic epp.

Access to the Panasonic EPP could be through a larger "Corporate Perks" program that includes dozens of vendors that may be offered at your firm. Mine is through such a program and it comes up as "NextJump" when I log into it.
post #382 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Laughing (a little) as I post this, but wondering if anyone else has run into this...

Set up the new 58/850 last weekend, and am carefully doing the break-in. We're watching some full screen, etc, the usual stuff.

Seats are about 11 feet from screen, and my wife says to me "we're sitting too close". Meantime, I was thinking "hmmm, I wonder if we should move the seats a foot closer".

So, question is... have you had that kind of comment from someone that's not as 'into' the awesome picture quality as you?

FWIW, we went from a 50" Sony Grand Wega RP to this.

I'm also coming from a 50" Sony Grand Wega LCD RP and currently sitting about 12 feet away from my 58" '850. I could easily go a couple of feet closer without getting that feeling of being in the first row in a movie theatre. On the other hand, my wife sometimes watches from the kitchen while she's cooking and has no complaints about seeing the screen from that position, more than 23 feet away. Not exactly a theatrical experience, but works for her. My sense is that you're right at the sweet spot in your current layout.
post #383 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:

the scary thing is my Panny seems just as bright as my last LCD and my current LCD in the bedroom. It's crazy. I think that maybe in the old days that was true, but Plasma's are bright enough.
post #384 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I'm also coming from a 50" Sony Grand Wega LCD RP and currently sitting about 12 feet away from my 58" '850. I could easily go a couple of feet closer without getting that feeling of being in the first row in a movie theatre. On the other hand, my wife sometimes watches from the kitchen while she's cooking and has no complaints about seeing the screen from that position, more than 23 feet away. Not exactly a theatrical experience, but works for her. My sense is that you're right at the sweet spot in your current layout.

Sounds like we have almost identical set ups. My unit will be in a combo family rm, open concept kitchen area with seating at 10' and the work side of the island at 24'. You can guess who will be watching from where . Arriving tomorrow, can't wait.
post #385 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM

I went to local stores in the area. Unfortunately none of them had an 850u to view.

First store I sat and watched an 85u, looked fantastic but the color seemed a little off. Flesh tones were alittle pink. Other than that, the tv looked great even in its given environment. it was probably in store morde as well. I watched a little bit of Journey to the center of the earth on bluray- it was playing of a panny BD30.

I then went to another retailer. This time, they had an 80U right next to the pio 5020. It was quite obvious that the PIO trounced the Panny in the blacks. No comparison. The 80 looked grey and washed out for sure. Now, Im asssuming that that this 80 u vs. kuro xx20 is not a fair comparison am I right? Will the new 850 be more comparable to the Kuro I saw today? Unfortunately I cannot find an 850 on display. Is the 85 u a bettter clue to what I will get with the 850u? Will the 850u trounce the 85u?

Understand that I am coming from a sammy series 7 LCD, and it has excellent blacks with a stated 50k to one contrast ratio. I know that this is not the end all spec. just saying...

A little clarification would be most welcomed.

Thanks
post #386 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panasonic says that "the TH58PZ850's optimum viewing distance is 7.75 feet"

I share this set with two others and there is no common idea of the best viewing distance (daughter- close, wife-far, me-middle). Our previous display was a 50" PDP and I noticed that over time chairs mysteriously crept closer. The chairs are still in motion.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #387 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I went to local stores in the area. Unfortunately none of them had an 850u to view.

First store I sat and watched an 85u, looked fantastic but the color seemed a little off. Flesh tones were alittle pink. Other than that, the tv looked great even in its given environment. it was probably in store morde as well. I watched a little bit of Journey to the center of the earth on bluray- it was playing of a panny BD30.

I then went to another retailer. This time, they had an 80U right next to the pio 5020. It was quite obvious that the PIO trounced the Panny in the blacks. No comparison. The 80 looked grey and washed out for sure. Now, Im asssuming that that this 80 u vs. kuro xx20 is not a fair comparison am I right? Will the new 850 be more comparable to the Kuro I saw today? Unfortunately I cannot find an 850 on display. Is the 85 u a bettter clue to what I will get with the 850u? Will the 850u trounce the 85u?

Understand that I am coming from a sammy series 7 LCD, and it has excellent blacks with a stated 50k to one contrast ratio. I know that this is not the end all spec. just saying...

Thanks

I came from a Sony 52" XBR5. Some stores I was impressed with the Panny others I wasn't. My buddy said "trust me, when you take this home and play with the settings your going to freak out". I bought it and it's amazing. NEVER compare TV's in a store! When I saw the Panny next to the new Pio, I thought the colors trounced it (including the blacks) and we know that simply isn't the case. Case being, God knows how many people play and mess with the settings on all TV's.

The blacks are excellent on this TV. My XBR5 got fantastic reviews (for an LCD) when it came to blacks. All it took was for me to pop in the Dave Mathews Blu Ray and WOW, compared to my Sony it was night and day. Seriously. And the Sony XBR5 had better blacks than the Sammy 71F. It isn't barely noticable, its a HUGE DIFFERENCE

I'm wowed with the TV and I buy TV's on a yearly basis! You simply cannot go wrong with the TV! 58" TV that looks this good for well under 3000.00 is a steal.
post #388 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

I think the most comparable model is the 800 and not the 80 or 85 (the 85 is closer though).

The blacks on Panny PDPs are usually considered to be very good; not gray or washed out. I would not accept store settings, or whatever has been done to the set by customers or sales staff, as useful for evaluation. The store that puts a downscale Panny next to a Kuro, might just want the unfair setup, who knows?

To do an in-store comparison you need to bring both use the closest comparable settings. I don't know the Kuro modes but you will want something like studio or cinema on both sets. Try to ensure that you watch under similar lighting.

The Kuro has excellent blacks and is more expensive. If that is your price range then compare only the top of the line sets against the Kuro.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #389 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The more I watch my 58, and then go back to various stores and see the Samsung LED LCD that was also in my 'final four' selection, I am SO glad I went with this over LCD.
Even in viewing rooms where they don't use 'store settings' the differences are vast, and yet it's a thousand less with 3 inches larger picture. It really pays to do some serious research first.
post #390 of 1862 Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Now that I am free from my Sammy, I do not want to rush into things. I want to make the right desicion.

The plot thickens- I also saw a 6020 all by itself and I must say that this thing had such a stop and stare picture. It was mesmorizing. I saw the 85u and it was nice, but you could absolutely see that red push for SURE. The pio 20 series seems to have nowhere near the adjustment capablities as the Panny. It is also about a thousand more than the 58 850u, but those blacks leave me salivating. Unfortunaley if i buy a panny it will be site unseen. I am gaga over the Pio, but the lack of adjustments scares me. Whould you pay the premium for the pio with less adjustmets juist to get those amazing blacks? Wouldnt i be able to get the set ISF calibrated anyway and that color innacuracies that cnet states be a moot point? thus I would have a superior blacks and a calibrated screen? Im back at square one. It is definitely between this 6020 from a forum sponser or the 58"850u. I am waiting on a check from samsung and I will not have to spend a single dime out of pocket, to get the sammy. I would have to sped another thousand to "upgrade" to the pio. I wish I could see the damn 850 in person. Does anybody have experience with both the 850 and 9g pio's? I will be disgusted if I buy the panny 850 and my blacks are not at least as good as my series 7 lcd. I do belive that the pio is on a whole diffferent level in the blacks. but then again, i have only compared the 6020 with the 85u via bluray. IN a nutshell, if the panny 850 has at least as good blacks as my samsung, who's blacks I am satisfied with, and has better color accuracy than the pio, than I don't think that the black as worht 1k. So how are the blacks compared between the series 7 samsung and the panny 850? Sorry for the rant.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page