The Official PANASONIC PZ850u thread - All sizes (settings, feedback, etc...) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by webapalooza View Post

I'm no expert by any means, but my take on it is that if you've followed Panasonic's break-in advice during the first 135 hours, you should be fine. If it was me, I still wouldn't crank up the brightness, contrast, or picture levels at this point, and I would probably use the "eraser" feature once every hour or so while playing Rockband. And of course, I'd make sure the image was stretched to fill the screen (no bars on top or bottom).

Other than that, I think you should be fine. But if anyone else feels otherwise, feel free to disagree.

I've got about 200 hours on my 850 now. After the first 100 hours, if I played Wii or watched a black bar movie, I returned to the break in images via SD card, and ran them overnight. I have zero issues with IR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmike View Post

I've got about 200 hours on my 850 now. After the first 100 hours, if I played Wii or watched a black bar movie, I returned to the break in images via SD card, and ran them overnight. I have zero issues with IR.

Does Panasonic include an SD card with break-in images on it, or are using images you downloaded off the web?
post #633 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Does Panasonic include an SD card with break-in images on it, or are using images you downloaded off the web?

Panasonic does not include any break-in material. Most people just use the images from the master break-in thread and burn them to dvd / usb / or SD-card.
post #634 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Images are here if you need them:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15308053
post #635 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Images are here if you need them:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15308053

Thanks for the link. Those look useful, although I think I can improve upon them somewhat. I have a master's degree in web site technologies, so I work a lot with monitor-safe color palettes. I'll see what I can come up with, and then I'll test them out on my new 50PZ850 (still waiting for delivery). If all goes well I'll post the image files here so others can make use of them.
post #636 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Some big news here....hopefully there will be more to come. Engadget HD is reporting that Amazon Video-On-Demand will be coming to Panasonic 850s this spring. I believe the Viera Cast has some big potential.
post #637 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Hopefully we'll hear some more good news about firmware updates.
post #638 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM

I had to post 3 times to do this....here's the link.
post #639 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM

post #640 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrvtJoker View Post

Some big news here....hopefully there will be more to come. Engadget HD is reporting that Amazon Video-On-Demand will be coming to Panasonic 850s this spring. I believe the Viera Cast has some big potential.

I wish it had been Netflix. Amazon doesn't even offer any HD content.
post #641 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I wish it had been Netflix. Amazon doesn't even offer any HD content.

Me too! What a let down especially since I have a Netflix account that allows me to stream unlimited movies. I could care less about Amazon. And come on Amazon, let see some HD movies for Christ Sake!!!!
post #642 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Those look useful, although I think I can improve upon them somewhat. I have a master's degree in web site technologies, so I work a lot with monitor-safe color palettes. I'll see what I can come up with, and then I'll test them out on my new 50PZ850 (still waiting for delivery). If all goes well I'll post the image files here so others can make use of them.

That would really be nice... The more the color spread the better. Thanks

Dennis

Belief has no affect on Reality!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #643 of 1862 Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Better yet, go ahead and experiment with creating some new images now, post them here, and I'll test them out for you on my 850
post #644 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 06:26 AM

So I had my 58PZ850U mounted yesterday and now I notice a rattle on back left bottom panel during sounds that have a lot of base in it. When I press against the back of the panel - it goes away.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm trying to figure out if its a problem with the speaker - or if the installation guy forgot to tighten something. Being a 58inch, its not easy for me just to take the thing down and inspect!
post #645 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post

Better yet, go ahead and experiment with creating some new images now, post them here, and I'll test them out for you on my 850

Sure, I can do that. Let me put something together over the weekend and I'll share it with the forum. Stay tuned...
post #646 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Very disappointed that Panasonic hooked up with Amazon VOD, rather than Netflix, for content. Amazon doesn't even offer any movies in HD/BluRay. Moreover, a lot of people, like myself, have Netflix subscriptions that allow virtually unlimited movie streaming as part of their existing subscriptions. With Amazon, most people will have to pay extra.

If any participants in this thread are still at CES, I'd be interested in hearing Panasonic officials' comments to our reactions. My guess is that, as part of their deals with Netflix, LG, Samsung and the others got some type of exclusivity which relegated Panasonic to the less desirable Amazon offering.
post #647 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook View Post

yes my bose does have that orange colored digital rca audio in but the ps3,dvr,or panny doesn't have any of these outputs,also my bose doesn't have any hdmi inputs, so do I have any other options than what I previously said?

Hmmm.... yet another reason I'm glad I went with the dedicated BD30 Blu ray player over the ps3, cuz it has both digital outs, as well as HDMI. Your solution there is to upgrade to a Blu-ray player.

Re your dvr, are you leasing from your cable/sat provider, or own one outright like a TiVo? I have Comcast DVR, and when they installed, put in an old one without HDMI. I insisted on the latest one, so they went back and got one. Your DVR must be quite old if it does not have at least a digital RCA out, if not an optical. Call your cable/sat provider, and see if you can swap for the latest model.

Re your plasma, there's no solution. I would not expect a 5.1 throughput on a product that can never itself output surround sound. But one never knows. Write a letter, and ask for the feature. Easier to upgrade your DVR and DVD players, though. ~ Crag
post #648 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Very disappointed that Panasonic hooked up with Amazon VOD, rather than Netflix, for content. Amazon doesn't even offer any movies in HD/BluRay. Moreover, a lot of people, like myself, have Netflix subscriptions that allow virtually unlimited movie streaming as part of their existing subscriptions. With Amazon, most people will have to pay extra.

If any participants in this thread are still at CES, I'd be interested in hearing Panasonic officials' comments to our reactions. My guess is that, as part of their deals with Netflix, LG, Samsung and the others got some type of exclusivity which relegated Panasonic to the less desirable Amazon offering.

Y'know, all of this could be solved with a separate device that could stream whatever content from whatever source. Rather than building this capability into certain TVs or Blu-ray players, why not a stand-alone product, something small like a cable box or router? That way it wouldn't matter whose TV you bought, or which Blu-ray you owned. It could be future-proofed by downloading software and firmware updates automatically as needed, and would also work on any device that was hooked up to it, even non-HD TVs.

Of course, that would negate the sweetheart deals these companies make with one another, along with the exclusivity agreements that prevent one company's devices from streaming another company's content.

Can you imagine if the Internet was this way? Sorry -- you can't access CNN.com on a Dell PC, you need a Gateway PC because they have an exclusive deal with CNN. Gimme a break! The problem is that there's no longer a direct relationship between you and Netflix (or whomever); you've now got a 3rd party intermediary that is running interference between you and the content provider, placing stipulations on what devices you're allowed to access that content with, which in turn limits your use of that content (unless of course you purchase one of "their" devices).

I say let everyone access any content they desire from any provider they want using any device they own. And the only way to do that is with a non-proprietary dedicated device like I described.
post #649 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Y'know, all of this could be solved with a separate device that could stream whatever content from whatever source. Rather than building this capability into certain TVs or Blu-ray players, why not a stand-alone product, something small like a cable box or router? That way it wouldn't matter whose TV you bought, or which Blu-ray you owned. It could be future-proofed by downloading software and firmware updates automatically as needed, and would also work on any device that was hooked up to it, even non-HD TVs.

Of course, that would negate the sweetheart deals these companies make with one another, along with the exclusivity agreements that prevent one company's devices from streaming another company's content.

Can you imagine if the Internet was this way? Sorry -- you can't access CNN.com on a Dell PC, you need a Gateway PC because they have an exclusive deal with CNN. Gimme a break! The problem is that there's no longer a direct relationship between you and Netflix (or whomever); you've now got a 3rd party intermediary that is running interference between you and the content provider, placing stipulations on what devices you're allowed to access that content with, which in turn limits your use of that content (unless of course you purchase one of "their" devices).

I say let everyone access any content they desire from any provider they want using any device they own. And the only way to do that is with a non-proprietary dedicated device like I described.

Amen, brother.
post #650 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1231 View Post

I will be at the CES 2009. If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask at the Panasonic booth let me know.

Ask them about fixing the 48hz issue.

post #651 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CragAntler View Post

Depends on the individual. Some don't see it, others do. I see it, and it's quite unwatchable. I do not see the "judder" effect supposedly caused by slow camera pans at 60Hz, so my choice is simple

Are you seeing this on the 58"???

Just curious b/c earlier in the thread someone said something about the flicker being mainly in the 50" models.

Just got a new 58pz850u (about 48 hours on it) - and from what I can tell, it looks fantastic. I have to admit, however, that I am a bit put off by this flicker issue in the 24p.

Also, I haven't bought a blu ray player yet. Anyone out there that DOESN'T see this issue care to comment as to which blu ray player you have?
post #652 of 1862 Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post

Well this begs the question then... Anyone know if the flicker problem exists on the 46" or does this only materialize on the 50"?

Boy, wish I could afford a 58".

Thanks,
Dennis

Looks like I need to bump this question since there still seems to be questions about the flicker problem. Can anyone verify whether this is or is not a problem with the 46"?

Thanks,
Dennis

Belief has no affect on Reality!

|
post #653 of 1862 Old 01-10-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got the '58-inch and I've never noticed the dreaded "flicker" problem. My BluRay player is the Panasonic DMP BD35 and both the player and TV are set to 24.
post #654 of 1862 Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 AM

So the old 65pz750u stand fits the 850u is what I gather from reading the various posts...
If so, I might get the 65pz850u since the older stand is very reasonably priced online.

Thanks for the confirmation folks.
post #655 of 1862 Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I've got the '58-inch and I've never noticed the dreaded "flicker" problem. My BluRay player is the Panasonic DMP BD35 and both the player and TV are set to 24.

I have the 58 with the panny BD55 both set at 48hz/24p. Is the flicker issue there? Yes. Is it distracting, or enough of an issue to make me question the purchase? Absolutely not.
post #656 of 1862 Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can see the flicker too. Look for it during very bright scenes, IE outdoor shots, etc.
I just use 60 Hz on the Tv, I'm not really seeing why one would use the 24 mode anyway. Can someone give me a refresher? I know it is supposed to make things more 'film like', but isn't there some noticeable flicker when one goes to see a movie in a theater?
post #657 of 1862 Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post

but isn't there some noticeable flicker when one goes to see a movie in a theater?

Yep, but after a few minutes our eyes adjust. Same with this. First time I watched TDK, scene in the 'bat cave' with all the overhead white lights, I saw the flicker. Have watched it several times since, and had to remind myself to look for it.
post #658 of 1862 Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Yep, but after a few minutes our eyes adjust. Same with this. First time I watched TDK, scene in the 'bat cave' with all the overhead white lights, I saw the flicker. Have watched it several times since, and had to remind myself to look for it.

Ok, so then the flicker problem on our sets really isn't a 'problem' at all? The flicker that I see in 24 mode is identical to the flicker I see when watching a movie in a theater...
post #659 of 1862 Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post

The flicker that I see in 24 mode is identical to the flicker I see when watching a movie in a theater...

Yes
post #660 of 1862 Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by needAnewPlasma View Post

Are you seeing this on the 58"???

Just curious b/c earlier in the thread someone said something about the flicker being mainly in the 50" models.

Just got a new 58pz850u (about 48 hours on it) - and from what I can tell, it looks fantastic. I have to admit, however, that I am a bit put off by this flicker issue in the 24p.

Also, I haven't bought a blu ray player yet. Anyone out there that DOESN'T see this issue care to comment as to which blu ray player you have?

ScottChez asking members with this issue to jump on the bandwagon, see his post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=6723
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page