The Official PANASONIC PZ850u thread - All sizes (settings, feedback, etc...) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1862 Old 01-29-2009, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NpaulTodd View Post

I been looking at the 850u , but was wondering how Plasma works for PC Use As this will be my man MONITOR , htpc & regular tv duty. Just wanted to make sure that heavy web surfing is ok for plasma ( this is the deciding factor between another LCD or my 1st plama ) thanx

Also whats the Monthly electric cost vs a samsung 860 lcd ? ( just rough estimate for tv on 8 hours a day )

Plasmas are not recommended for use as a computer monitor. There are just too many static images on a computer screen (tool bar, menu bar, status bar, etc.) And they generally consume more power, although plasma manufacturers have been steadily narrowing the gap with LCDs.

If you have the luxury of owning 2 HDTVs, one for TV watching and one for computer use, I would definitely go with plasma for TV watching and LCD for computer use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1862 Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I just got word that my 58PZ850 is in and I'm going to pick it up this afternoon. I plan on breaking it in with a combination of regular TV watching, 16:9 blu-ray movies, and using the break in images. I'm going to give it some rest in between but would like to try and get as many hours on it over the next for days as I can (safely).

I may opt to play some Gears of War 2 and as fas as I can remember that game does not have a HUD or any other images that stay on-screen. Would it be safe to play this for 2-3 hours?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #903 of 1862 Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NpaulTodd View Post

I been looking at the 850u , but was wondering how Plasma works for PC Use As this will be my man MONITOR , htpc & regular tv duty. Just wanted to make sure that heavy web surfing is ok for plasma ( this is the deciding factor between another LCD or my 1st plama ) thanx

I don't use my 850 for a monitor, but I do have a PC connected to it and it makes an impressive monitor.

If you dial down the picture settings, use the anti-image retention features, and don't leave it showing the desktop for long periods, it should not have image retention problems. Problems come from long period static images at high picture settings and not from htpc, TV and web surfing.

Quote:

Also whats the Monthly electric cost vs a samsung 860 lcd ? ( just rough estimate for tv on 8 hours a day )

If you read this thread and do a bit of research you will discover that the monthly cost depends on display size and average light output (Vivid uses more power than Studio Ref).

You should think of the question in terms of kilowatt hours at some picture setting and then do your own cost calculation. You could use the rated draw from the display specs, but for PDPs that usually will be the worst case (panel brightness at max).

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #904 of 1862 Old 01-29-2009, 05:16 PM

I to would like to know; best settings for watching the game with lights on.
Just broke 100hrs on my new th-58pz850u.

thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by webapalooza View Post

Need some advice here. When my wife and I watch the Superbowl this weekend, our 50PZ850U will only be 1 week old, so nowhere near broken in yet. We also tend to watch more movies, documentaries, and nature shows than sports.

My question is, for those of you who've owned a PZ850U for a while now and watch sports a lot (especially football), what settings do you recommend for the game? Even though mine isn't broken in yet I'm willing to use whatever settings will give me the best PQ, and interrupt the commercials to run the white scroll bar to prevent IR potential.

Love to hear any advice the football experts out there might have!

post #905 of 1862 Old 01-30-2009, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey mike ,my 850 will only be 5 days old. im going to turn the settings up a little .have them around 40 during break in, and havent seen even a sign of ir. for the game im going to move them up to about 60[or whatever they look good]. not really worried about a 3 hour game. figure i will have about 60 hours in by then. will probably run the scroll bar for awhile during breaks. but the tvs are amazing aren't they.
post #906 of 1862 Old 01-30-2009, 06:11 AM

Liked: 12
Sorry this has nothing to do with the big game. I was looking and waiting for the 50pz800u before i found out its discontinued. I figured why pay the extra for viera cast when Im going to hook up a computer to it anyways. Now a friend of mine has the 50pz850u, and i noticed the other day, It looks like it has the one sheet of glass. But i thought it was only on the 50pz800.

Does anyone have images or can confirm that the 50inch 850 also has the one sheet of glass look. I think it has some bindings at the edges though. hers is a july 2008 build.

sig
post #907 of 1862 Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabih786 View Post

Sorry this has nothing to do with the big game. I was looking and waiting for the 50pz800u before i found out its discontinued. I figured why pay the extra for viera cast when Im going to hook up a computer to it anyways. Now a friend of mine has the 50pz850u, and i noticed the other day, It looks like it has the one sheet of glass. But i thought it was only on the 50pz800.

Does anyone have images or can confirm that the 50inch 850 also has the one sheet of glass look. I think it has some bindings at the edges though. hers is a july 2008 build.

Yes, the 50PZ850u has the single pane of glass. (Technically it's 2 panes, which you can see if you stand close to the screen and look at it from off-center when the scroll bar is running in a darkened room).

But I know what you mean, and yes it's the single pane "look" with a binding of some sort running around the edge.
post #908 of 1862 Old 01-30-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Yes, the 50PZ850u has the single pane of glass. (Technically it's 2 panes, which you can see if you stand close to the screen and look at it from off-center when the scroll bar is running in a darkened room).

But I know what you mean, and yes it's the single pane "look" with a binding of some sort running around the edge.

I wish the 58PZ850U was single pane, but oh well, still love it in it's 58 inches of glory. I was upgrading from a 42PX50U and upgrading to 50 (vs 58) just didn't seem good enough

By the end of today I will be at about 125 hours and look forward to cranking it up some from the 40 settings I have been running it for the big game Sunday.
post #909 of 1862 Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM

is there a menu that shows viewing hours or do you guys just keep track on your own?

chris says me
post #910 of 1862 Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabih786 View Post

my 46pz850u has a single pane. looks that way and says it right in the info. mine is a dec 2008 build. amazing to buy a tv that was just made 3 weeks ago. watched br cars today,looked fantastic even with everything turned down
post #911 of 1862 Old 01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanstewart View Post

is there a menu that shows viewing hours or do you guys just keep track on your own?

Go back to page 19 link #555
post #912 of 1862 Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post

my 46pz850u has a single pane. looks that way and says it right in the info. mine is a dec 2008 build. amazing to buy a tv that was just made 3 weeks ago. watched br cars today,looked fantastic even with everything turned down

Computer animation is almost always going to look amazing on an HDTV. Always in perfect focus, no film grain to speak of, and lighting is completely under the control of the animators (as opposed to a director of photography for film, who could under/over expose parts of a scene and create crushing blacks or blown-out whites in the frame).

Same with computer FX-laden films like Transformers: HDTV is where they really shine. Of course, if the FX are cheap then HDTV just makes them that much more painfully obvious.
post #913 of 1862 Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Go back to page 19 link #555

thanks

chris says me
post #914 of 1862 Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 PM

I just picked up my 58" 850U and so far just been running the break in DVD. Once I run it for a day or two I will bust out the DVD's and run some full screen content to further break it in.

Is it ok to leave it running overnight or for days on end? Should I power it off for a few hours here and there to give it a break?

Thanks.

I see people say they will run the "scroll bar" I did not see that in my settings in the menu.... am I missing something?
post #915 of 1862 Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamester5 View Post

I just picked up my 58" 850U and so far just been running the break in DVD. Once I run it for a day or two I will bust out the DVD's and run some full screen content to further break it in.

Is it ok to leave it running overnight or for days on end? Should I power it off for a few hours here and there to give it a break?

Thanks.

I see peopel say thy will run the "scroll bar" I did not see that in my settings in the menu.... am I missing something?

i cant say much for if you should or shouldnt run it for days on end, but id imagine you shouldnt. i did mine for several hours at a time. i dont think any more than 12 at once though. usually around 8ish...

as for the scroll bar...

menu, setup, anti image retention, scrolling bar

chris says me
post #916 of 1862 Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM

scroll bar is in settings. i havent used any break in dvd, just vary my watching. have even played a few hours of xbox and no images anywhere, just have everything less than 50
post #917 of 1862 Old 02-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the help tristanstewart and emmonsh. I am very exceited about getting this thing up and running, broke in and then let my 2 year old watch the Sponge Bob Square Pants marathon in a 4:3 screen for 5 straight hours :-)
post #918 of 1862 Old 02-01-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does not need sleep and it does not get tired. Unless you are using the display in an exceptionally hot environment there is nothing harmful in continuous running. The only thing that happens is that you are in effect subtracting those hours from the set's useful working life (really don't you want to watch everyone of those 60,000 hrs).

There is also an upside to continuous use--defects tend to show up early with most of today's electronics. Do power cycle it once in awhile just to exercise those circuits.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #919 of 1862 Old 02-01-2009, 10:12 PM

You guys probably get this question a lot... but although I've properly calibrated this TV for films to the best of my ability, I've noticed those settings don't necessarily look very good with video games. What are some good settings to use with games? Maybe someone could point me to the right place...

Also, I played Mass Effect on this thing for a while (which has a bright blue HUD) and I had IR on the thing for like two weeks (only visible in a dark room inches from the screen, but still it really bothered me). I didn't have the settings that high either. I know everyone says permanent burn-in is a myth, but I'm paranoid.
post #920 of 1862 Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Plasma newbie here...ready to pull the trigger on this Panny.

But first a few questions:
How does the 850 handle sidebars on 4:3 material?
Is there a risk of IR or do today's plasmas handle that without stretching?
And what about black bars top and bottom on 2:35?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #921 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 AM

OK, have about 250 hours on the set, and have had it professionally calibrated at about 200 hours.

Up to this weekend, I saw zero IR. Have been (and will continue to) vary the content, especially after a long 2:35 ratio movie.

On Saturday picked up The Police reunion concert Blu, and had it on while doing some housework. When I came back to it, the menu had been on for about 20 minutes...very bright menu, and lots of really bold graphic lines.

I did see some IR, mostly where the bright/bold lines were. Ran the white scrolling bar for about 10 mins, and no further evidence of the image.

Bottom line, yes, IR is possible with the set, but it's no big deal.
post #922 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seluropnek View Post

You guys probably get this question a lot... but although I've properly calibrated this TV for films to the best of my ability, I've noticed those settings don't necessarily look very good with video games. What are some good settings to use with games? Maybe someone could point me to the right place...

Also, I played Mass Effect on this thing for a while (which has a bright blue HUD) and I had IR on the thing for like two weeks (only visible in a dark room inches from the screen, but still it really bothered me). I didn't have the settings that high either. I know everyone says permanent burn-in is a myth, but I'm paranoid.

There is a "Game" setting, which I assume is for video games (though I'm not a gamer so I can't say how well it works). I actually used Game mode for the Superbowl, as I thought it looked the best. Then I ran the scrolling bar during commercials (I DVR'd the game so I can go back and watch the commercials sometimes). Not a hint of IR.
post #923 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:

I'm currently breaking in a new 50PZ850U, and here's my personal feeling on this. First, I'm using my own v120 break-in images (http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma). I let the slides run at 15-second intervals all night recently, and I felt all over the set for heat in the morning and there was virtually no warmth at all. Only one spot on the top of the back in the center (where there's a vent) even felt the slightest bit warm.

I think this is partly because I have it in Custom mode with everything set to 40%. Also, I created those break-in images to specifically cycle down to black at regular intervals, to give the phosphors a periodic rest. I think that helps prevent the TV from getting too hot, as it might if it had to constantly feed power to all the pixels without a break.

Even so, I never run the break-in images for more than 8 hours at a time. I also change up the intervals every day, varying it between 5-seconds, 10-seconds, and 15-seconds. I like to keep the TV guessing, since I'm forcing it to display boring color slides for hours on end.
post #924 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:

There is a "Game" setting, which I assume is for video games (though I'm not a gamer so I can't say how well it works). I actually used Game mode for the Superbowl, as I thought it looked the best. Then I ran the scrolling bar during commercials (I DVR'd the game so I can go back and watch the commercials sometimes). Not a hint of IR.

I think "Game" looks horrendous anywhere (I use the setting for convenience but I tweak it down a lot so it isn't so eye-bleeding bright). And yeah, I don't get any real IR during normal TV viewing either. That game though definitely caused some for a while. I'd think the normal "Game" setting would actually make it worse because it's so bright, unless it has some sort of mysterious anti-IR thing going on behind the scenes.

Those that say there's "no IR at all" - try looking at a blank input in a completely dark room and look right up at the screen. I guarantee you'll see some after playing a game or leaving it on a DVD menu for a while. Yes, it's very mild and impossible to see normally, but it is enough to make me the tiniest bit paranoid, especially when it's there for days or weeks. Yes, I'm checking it compulsively and it's not a problem for normal viewing, but I'm so used to buying new toys that have problems that I can't help it at this point.

One weird thing - regarding the game I was playing that had the bright blue HUD on most of the time. You'd expect the IR to be bright, right? Actually where the bright sections were, those spots were darker on a completely black screen.
post #925 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I think "Game" looks horrendous anywhere (I use the setting for convenience but I tweak it down a lot so it isn't so eye-bleeding bright).

Game mode is not the brightest setting on my set: Vivid is by far the brightest, followed by Game, with Studio Ref running a very close 3rd.

Quote:

One weird thing - regarding the game I was playing that had the bright blue HUD on most of the time. You'd expect the IR to be bright, right? Actually where the bright sections were, those spots were darker on a completely black screen.

Actually, I'd expect the IR areas to be darker, because the phosphors have been "aged" more. The entire plasma will eventually become darker and darker over time as the phosphors age (we're talking years and years of usage here). So static, bright images should cause the phosphors in those areas to appear more dark than the rest of the phosphors.
post #926 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Can anyone else post their gaming experiences? I haven't hooked my xbox to my 850 yet, but plan on doing so in the near future.
post #927 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 PM

I have had my 50PZ850U for about a week and so far I love it but I am partial to Panasonic. I have it set to the studio ref as stated in the first post. I am not sure where to find the break in pictures or dvd's. I know it is here somewhere but it is a little difficult to search through. Would it be possible for someone to pooint me in the right direction for the breakin in dvd/pictures?
Over the last week the picture just seems to be geting better. Blu Ray's look fantastic.

Also what is the calibration all about. What does that actually entail?
post #928 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Game mode is not the brightest setting on my set: Vivid is by far the brightest, followed by Game, with Studio Ref running a very close 3rd.

While this may be true, it's still too bright. Studio Reference may have the picture cranked up to the max, but it's still easy on the eyes. Problem is, Studio Reference (or my custom settings, which are close to CNet's) don't look too hot with most games despite being great for movies.

Quote:

Actually, I'd expect the IR areas to be darker, because the phosphors have been "aged" more. The entire plasma will eventually become darker and darker over time as the phosphors age (we're talking years and years of usage here). So static, bright images should cause the phosphors in those areas to appear more dark than the rest of the phosphors.

Considering that the TV is supposed to last for a ridiculous amount of hours before it reaches half brightness, would this be concerning to you?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
post #929 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
hc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisdabis View Post

I have had my 50PZ850U for about a week and so far I love it but I am partial to Panasonic. I have it set to the studio ref as stated in the first post. I am not sure where to find the break in pictures or dvd's. I know it is here somewhere but it is a little difficult to search through. Would it be possible for someone to pooint me in the right direction for the breakin in dvd/pictures?
Over the last week the picture just seems to be geting better. Blu Ray's look fantastic.

Also what is the calibration all about. What does that actually entail?

Look at webapalooza's post above yours, he has a link to his images for break-in. You can use a SD card.
Calibration is covered in numerous places, basically someone who knows what they are doing (hopefully) accesses the service menu. Not for the average consumer although some passionate folks learn how to do it themselves. Personally, I use either the THX or video essentials disks to make the adjustments I can make. But I will warn you, after looking through various colored plastic strips, it can get real perplexing as to which is the best adjustment. You start to view the world and think "Is that green on those leaves accurate?"
post #930 of 1862 Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmike View Post

OK, have about 250 hours on the set, and have had it professionally calibrated at about 200 hours.

Up to this weekend, I saw zero IR. Have been (and will continue to) vary the content, especially after a long 2:35 ratio movie.

On Saturday picked up The Police reunion concert Blu, and had it on while doing some housework. When I came back to it, the menu had been on for about 20 minutes...very bright menu, and lots of really bold graphic lines.

I did see some IR, mostly where the bright/bold lines were. Ran the white scrolling bar for about 10 mins, and no further evidence of the image.

Bottom line, yes, IR is possible with the set, but it's no big deal.

Remember there's a big difference between IR (image retention) and Permanent IR or "burn-in."

TEMPORARY IR is completely normal on this unit, especially during the first few hundred hours of use. Proper break-in procedures will decrease the incidences of temp IR, and virtually safeguard the panel against any permanent image burn-in.

You're wise to use the scroll bar during your early usage. I've noticed occassional IR after long letterboxed movies or NFL games on Fox (the score/stats graphic near the top of the screen is not truly keyed on top of video; there's nothing but pure black above the graphic).

Sometimes, I simply ZOOM the pic in for a while during viewing, or just tune to HDT or HBOHD afterwards to cancel out any temp IR with some full screen programming. Seems to work just as well as the scrolling white bar.

Still don't get you gamers out there insisting on using this plasma for gaming; so many static graphics at high brightness levels... Would've gone LCD myself if I wanted a big screen for gaming. But I'm a PC gamer, and am still quite happy with my 22" Samsung LCD monitor.

Using an 850u for gaming, to me, is like off-roading with a Mercedes 500S. Just the wrong tool for the job. ~ Crag
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page