The Official PANASONIC PZ850u thread - All sizes (settings, feedback, etc...) - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1862 Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

For those of you who are using the TV speakers and have used a separate audio system before, how are the speakers? I understand they aren't what a separate audio system would be but are they anywhere in the ballpark? Thanks.

If you're expecting anything close to a good HT sound, you're going to not find that in ANY TV.

I have a nice HT and I do not use it as much anymore accept when a station is broadcasting in DD. I think the speakers on my 850 sound better than any TV I've heard. In fact, I was quite surprised at how good it did sound.

You won't be disappointed at all with the TV sound if you don't have a good HT, but if you really want the visual to come alive, you need to invest in a good HT sound system.

Just my opinion,
Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1862 Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

For those of you who are using the TV speakers and have used a separate audio system before, how are the speakers? I understand they aren't what a separate audio system would be but are they anywhere in the ballpark? Thanks.

I normally listen through the receiver, but just the other day my wife and I watched for an hour or so using just the 850's speakers. She is not a big fan of surround sound and she thought that they were pretty good. I would call them OK, even good when compared to other TV speakers, with perhaps a bit too much upper-bass. But really there is no way that they compare to a decent reciever and a surround speaker setup.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #1143 of 1862 Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks guys, my wife wants nothing to do with extra speakers and extra controls. I think she would be happy if we went back to 3 vhf channels and no remote.
post #1144 of 1862 Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Great HDTV shoot-out by Home Theater Magazine:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/lcds/f...ral/index.html
post #1145 of 1862 Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Hey guys, you all seem knowledgeable from these threads. I recently just put on order a 50PZ850U from amazon for a very good price and am thrilled to be getting it.

However, I know that Pioneers have the best picture quality of any plasma and would kill to have a KURO, specifically the Elite series. I just saw that on amazon they lowered the price on the 5020FD and it's now only $200 more expensive than the panasonic I just ordered.

I know that the panny has a bunch more customizeability options than the 5020 and has viera cast, swivel base, studio ref, etc etc. And I know it's not the Elite KURO, but the pio still has the deeper black level.

my plan was to get a panny now, and in a few years when the prices have come down more, get a 60 or larger pio Elite series.

If you were in my position, what would you do? Cancel the panny and go with the non-elite Kuro with such a small price difference? Or would you stick with the 850U? I'm sure my picture will rock no matter what I do, but I desperately need some input here, and the quicker the better, I'd have to cancel the order immediately!

On a side note, how much do ISF calibrations typically run? Anyone know of a good place to go with for the calibration in the Waterbury, CT area?
post #1146 of 1862 Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
hc2

Get the Pioneer, you have wanted one and from reading your post, I have a feeling you would live with regrets if you got the Panasonic when you had a chance to get the Pioneer for only $200 more. Both are good sets.
post #1147 of 1862 Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM

After following reviews and this thread (and others) for the last 8 to 10 months, I finally pulled the trigger and got one of these sets. I got my 50PZ850U Friday and set it up Saturday. I've been running webapalooza's break-in pictures off an SD card continuously (54 hours now and counting) since then. Thank you webapalooza.

I decided on the Panny 50PZ850U now after reading about the 2009 Panny Plasma's and looking at the cost of the newer sets with things like the Internet connection. I didn't think I'd be able to get a 50 inch Panny Plasma under $2K in the 2009 sets. The PZ850U's have been gone from the local show rooms for a few months and were disappearing fast from the Internet retailers almost daily. Yes, I saw the Pioneer Kuro Next to the PZ850U several months ago at a local retailer, and liked the Panny better almost immediately.

I'm breaking mine in on the "Cool" setting, since I like the picture better. Hope that will not cause any problems. I will begin to make adjustments to the picture at about the 150 hour mark using some of the settings posted here.

I have to admit, it looks great right out of the box-- even on the reduced settings (below 50 for all levels) while breaking it in. It put my Sony 34HD Tube TV to shame.

I do have Question directed to those who were referencing the total number of hours the set has been on-- (dumb question) Is there some sort of internal timer I can access to tell me how many hours the set has been functioning? Or do I need to just keep track the old fashion way-- counting the hours. If there is-- how can I get to it?

I am really looking forward to the "magic" that comes after the break in.

Again, THANK YOU ALL for the advise on the set and the settings. And THANK YOU webapalooza for the technical advise and break in pics!!
post #1148 of 1862 Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM

RJStol, congrats on the decision, could you post the link to the break-in photos from webapalooza? I couldn't find them. Are they the same as the ones that have been posted on here before from Cnet and other places?

Also, for those that have a PS3 as their BD-player, where is the option to output 1080p/24?

And last question, anyone know how the hell to get in touch with the administrator of the AVS forum site?

Thanks
post #1149 of 1862 Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM

I am debating getting the 58pz850u or the 58pz800u. Price is not the deciding factor. I can't afford the pioneer but between these two I want the one which can give me the overall best PQ. I currently have the 42px80u and love the picture, just want it bigger. I will not be getting it professionally calibrated, but will adjust based on peoples settings here (I know the 850 has more adjustment settings but IDK hat they do.)

What should i get.

58pz850
42px80
Klipsch RF-62's
post #1150 of 1862 Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM

MagnumWPI@hotmai-- Thanks for the congrats. I think the real link has been posted before but Here is the web site for the break in pics. -- webapalooza.com/plasma ( I know he won't ask, but donate if you can just for his efforts)

I don't know about the PS3 BD Player-- I haven't gotten that far yet-- Probably will get a panny BR Player when I make the jump. (I've got to work on the wife 1st).
post #1151 of 1862 Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumWPI@hotmai View Post

my plan was to get a panny now, and in a few years when the prices have come down more, get a 60 or larger pio Elite series.

Your plan is doomed. Pioneer announced last month it is shutting down its plasma TV division. There's a huge thread about it on these forums, but you may have to backtrack now to find it.

If you want a Pio badly anyway, you should move NOW because Pioneer plasmas are soon going the way of the dinosaurs... and Curtis-Mathes.
post #1152 of 1862 Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 AM
hc2

Quote:

RJStol, congrats on the decision, could you post the link to the break-in photos from webapalooza? I couldn't find them. Are they the same as the ones that have been posted on here before from Cnet and other places?

Also, for those that have a PS3 as their BD-player, where is the option to output 1080p/24?

And last question, anyone know how the hell to get in touch with the administrator of the AVS forum site?

Thanks

Quote:

The relevant setting for configuring the PS3 to output video in the 1080p/24 format is accessed from the XMB:

XMB >>> Settings >>> Video Settings >>> BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)
Note: "Video Settings" was called "BD/DVD Settings" with PS3 firmware prior to version 2.50

The default setting of "Automatic" will enable 1080p/24 for any display that correctly communicates that it is 1080p/24 capable. If you KNOW your HDTV display supports 1080p/24 and you're certain the PS3 isn't automatically enabling 1080p/24 during Blu-ray playback, changing this setting to "On" will force 1080p/24 playback. Changing the setting to "Off" will not allow 1080p/24 playback regardless of the display's capabilities.

Look at post #18, a big post going over all the PS3 settings.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931796
post #1153 of 1862 Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:

If you want the Pio, better get it now while they're still around. Pioneer is getting out of the plasma business altogether.

Quote:

On a side note, how much do ISF calibrations typically run?

I'm getting my 50PZ850U calibrated at the end of the month for $200 by a guy who's a former Kodak engineer and is now an ISF-certified technician. From what I've heard that's on the low end of the price scale, so you might pay more in your area. But I wouldn't pay much over $250 for a calibration myself -- the set looks pretty darn good already, and I'd just assume use an optimizer DVD to tweak the picture as best I can and pocket the extra cash.
post #1154 of 1862 Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJStol View Post

After following reviews and this thread (and others) for the last 8 to 10 months, I finally pulled the trigger and got one of these sets. I got my 50PZ850U Friday and set it up Saturday. I've been running webapalooza's break-in pictures off an SD card continuously (54 hours now and counting) since then. Thank you webapalooza.

You're welcome.

Quote:

I'm breaking mine in on the "Cool" setting, since I like the picture better.

I don't think it matters too much. I left mine on "Normal", but whatever you like should be fine.

Quote:

I have to admit, it looks great right out of the box-- even on the reduced settings (below 50 for all levels) while breaking it in.

Agreed! I started mine out at 40% across the board (except for sharpness, which I keep at 0%), and after 100 hours of break-in I bumped it up to 50% for another 100 hours of break-in. Now every time I turn it on I do a double-take and then check the Picture setting to be sure it's not set on Studio Ref or Vivid when I'm just watching the news or whatever -- it really looks that good, even with everything set to 50%.

Quote:

I do have Question directed to those who were referencing the total number of hours the set has been on-- (dumb question) Is there some sort of internal timer I can access to tell me how many hours the set has been functioning? Or do I need to just keep track the old fashion way-- counting the hours. If there is-- how can I get to it?

That's a good question, and somebody did post the directions on how to access the run time in the service menu, but it didn't work for me. Not sure why, but it just wouldn't.

Quote:

I am really looking forward to the "magic" that comes after the break in. Again, THANK YOU ALL for the advise on the set and the settings. And THANK YOU webapalooza for the technical advise and break in pics!!

The ISF tech who's going to calibrate my set in a few weeks said that 100 hours of break-in should be sufficient. But I figure 200 hours can't hurt, right?

Oh, and you're welcome again. And by the way, I FINALLY finished writing up an 18-part article with graphs and tables explaining the color theory behind the break-in slides I created. Now I just need to post it so that all of you can read it. I'll let everyone know once I've done that.
post #1155 of 1862 Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Which optimizer CD will you use?

Ray
post #1156 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Collins View Post

Which optimizer CD will you use?

Ray

Hi Ray,

I'm assuming you were talking to me, and that you meant DVD? I've actually bought a couple of different ones:
  1. HQV-Benchmark-DVD
  2. Digital Video Essentials HD Basics Blu-ray

HQV also makes a Blu-ray version, but I haven't been able to find anyone who has it in stock.
post #1157 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webapalooza View Post

That's a good question, and somebody did post the directions on how to access the run time in the service menu, but it didn't work for me. Not sure why, but it just wouldn't.

3. Press the {OK} button. A blue grid will appear with the following information.
TD2Mictocode: 81c00011
Flash ROM: 1-227E
PTCT :00.00.00.00.00
4. Cursor down to the PTCT :00.00.00.00.00 line and then cursor over to the right to highlight the empty box.
5. Press and hold the {MUTE} button on the remote for 3 seconds.
The TIME / COUNT info will be displayed in Hours and Minutes of Operation.
6. To exit, press and hold the {POWER} button on the TV for 2 seconds.

The display will re-start by itself.
post #1158 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 AM

Webapalooza,
Yes I was addressing you and thanks for the response.

Ray
post #1159 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Hey guys, you all seem knowledgeable from these threads. I recently just put on order a 50PZ850U from amazon for a very good price and am thrilled to be getting it.

However, I know that Pioneers have the best picture quality of any plasma and would kill to have a KURO, specifically the Elite series. I just saw that on amazon they lowered the price on the 5020FD and it's now only $200 more expensive than the panasonic I just ordered.

I know that the panny has a bunch more customizeability options than the 5020 and has viera cast, swivel base, studio ref, etc etc. And I know it's not the Elite KURO, but the pio still has the deeper black level.

If you were in my position, what would you do? Cancel the panny and go with the non-elite Kuro with such a small price difference? Or would you stick with the 850U? I'm sure my picture will rock no matter what I do, but I desperately need some input here, and the quicker the better, I'd have to cancel the order immediately!

On a side note, how much do ISF calibrations typically run? Anyone know of a good place to go with for the calibration in the Waterbury, CT area?

They are both great tv's. I had been pondering the same type of decison, 5020, 850U or the new Panny G10. It's true that you will get the best black level on the 5020, that's a given. I gave up on the 5020 because I have future concerns, firmware updates and parts. You have to be very careful where you buy a 5020, if they aren't a Pioneer authorized dealer, Pioneer won't honor your warranty. If you buy it online, you have to worry that if you get a bad 5020 will they be able to replace it?

If you were comparing the Elite, then I'd say buy it. Both the 850 and the 5020 are great choices. I'm now left between the 850 and the new G10 series. I'm favoring the new technology of the G10, BUT, if the prices fall much lower on the 850 it would be hard to resist.

Whatever you decide, you have got some great products to choose from.
post #1160 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
hc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webapalooza View Post

Hi Ray,

I'm assuming you were talking to me, and that you meant DVD? I've actually bought a couple of different ones:
  1. HQV-Benchmark-DVD
  2. Digital Video Essentials HD Basics Blu-ray

HQV also makes a Blu-ray version, but I haven't been able to find anyone who has it in stock.

There is a free one here on AVS,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
You can use a regular dvd in a PS3 or bluray player for the HD test disk if you need it. Basically the same patterns as all the commercial disks, just no narration or audio tests.
post #1161 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 PM

well having had my tv since 2-25 and having had to be away this past weekend i got in mon nite and been dedicating some time to watch tv...well this tv rocks(floor model made aug 08) i love it so glad i went back to panny, even the local news pops ! cant wait till uncle sam's check comes to have it calibrated which leeds to my question any opinions on who to use i live in long island ny but i am close to queens thanks ,
pat
post #1162 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got one the PZ850 50 inchers on the way. I currently have a 50 inch pro panny (8th gen) and it's mounted flat on the wall. I was just wondering if one of you PZ850 50 inch owners would be kind enough to tell me the distance between the vertical braces on the unit. I want to make sure that my existing wall mount will work with this unit.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
post #1163 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 PM

My beloved plasma finally reached my door yesterday. I will now try and describe my experience being how this is my first plasma hdtv (had a 50" samsung DLP prior)

The company I ordered from took 7 days to get it to my house, they had friendly reps, customer service, and full tracking along the way. The delivery driver called me a few mins prior so that I knew he was coming. I ran into my bedroom threw on some decent clothes and bolted outside with my eyes glued on the road awaiting the white truck. Upon pulling up I noticed that there was only one person in the truck. I had paid extra and asked specifically for the white glove service (2 guys carrying it inside and taking it out of the box.) No biggie as I would deal with that later.

I explained my situation in which he understood and helped me take it in anyways. I inspected the box which was equipped with a drop sensor and had not been activated, (means they didnt drop it along the way) the box was flawless. We undid the 4 plastic holders and boom the top came right off and the tv was sitting in a fitted syrofoam casing. I pluged it in and turned it on, the screen illuminated and I could see it was working perfectly. I then talked to the driver for a minute and then signed the paperwork.

I was stuck putting it together which was fairly simple with only 8 bolts to screw as it wouldnt take a genius. I set it up and turned it on, WOW....straight out of the box it looked great. I then tweaked it a little to get everything under the 50 mark. My first impressions of this tv was the hd cable through cox was great, but as soon as I threw planet earth BR into the PS3 I was amazed. Very detailed and crisp clear picture, no issues at all that I could see. This hdtv clearly blew my previous tv into bits. I played the DVE basics BR after just to check out the content. It featured a special display of the 1080p format, such as 24p playback. I changed my settings to the 48hz for the 24p setting and didnt see any flickering like alot of reviews said. It made the scene look as though I was inside a theater which was awsome. I must admit it was a feature that I was unsure of but am glad to put it behind me now. Bottom line...........this tv is among the best I have seen in anyones house, the black levels look great to me and I could see how they might drop a shade darker but once I calibrate it I should have a better picture. I have been sorta keeping to the breakin guidelines. I mostly watch HD but when I watch SD I zoom it to fill the screen. When I go to bed I run the breakin DVD on loop till I leave for work in the morning. So far I have logged only about 21 hours currently. I played ps3 games on it for only a hour. No ghosting effect, or signs of IR. When I saw this tv in retail stores it looked totally different (crappy) but I am glad I took the plunge and I am a proud owner and can't wait to see how the calibration comes out.

Sorry for the rant, I could keep going with meaningless info for you folks to read but thats no fun, besides I have some COD5 catching up to do! Feel free to ask any questions if you have any..........take care!
post #1164 of 1862 Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

I've got one the PZ850 50 inchers on the way. I currently have a 50 inch pro panny (8th gen) and it's mounted flat on the wall. I was just wondering if one of you PZ850 50 inch owners would be kind enough to tell me the distance between the vertical braces on the unit. I want to make sure that my existing wall mount will work with this unit.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Wall mount spacing holes on back of unit are 660mm x 320mm (26" x 12.6") wxh
post #1165 of 1862 Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 AM
hc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caponegville View Post

My beloved plasma finally reached my door yesterday. I will now try and describe my experience being how this is my first plasma hdtv (had a 50" samsung DLP prior)

The company I ordered from took 7 days to get it to my house, they had friendly reps, customer service, and full tracking along the way. The delivery driver called me a few mins prior so that I knew he was coming. I ran into my bedroom threw on some decent clothes and bolted outside with my eyes glued on the road awaiting the white truck. Upon pulling up I noticed that there was only one person in the truck. I had paid extra and asked specifically for the white glove service (2 guys carrying it inside and taking it out of the box.) No biggie as I would deal with that later.

I explained my situation in which he understood and helped me take it in anyways. I inspected the box which was equipped with a drop sensor and had not been activated, (means they didnt drop it along the way) the box was flawless. We undid the 4 plastic holders and boom the top came right off and the tv was sitting in a fitted syrofoam casing. I pluged it in and turned it on, the screen illuminated and I could see it was working perfectly. I then talked to the driver for a minute and then signed the paperwork.

I was stuck putting it together which was fairly simple with only 8 bolts to screw as it wouldnt take a genius. I set it up and turned it on, WOW....straight out of the box it looked great. I then tweaked it a little to get everything under the 50 mark. My first impressions of this tv was the hd cable through cox was great, but as soon as I threw planet earth BR into the PS3 I was amazed. Very detailed and crisp clear picture, no issues at all that I could see. This hdtv clearly blew my previous tv into bits. I played the DVE basics BR after just to check out the content. It featured a special display of the 1080p format, such as 24p playback. I changed my settings to the 48hz for the 24p setting and didnt see any flickering like alot of reviews said. It made the scene look as though I was inside a theater which was awsome. I must admit it was a feature that I was unsure of but am glad to put it behind me now. Bottom line...........this tv is among the best I have seen in anyones house, the black levels look great to me and I could see how they might drop a shade darker but once I calibrate it I should have a better picture. I have been sorta keeping to the breakin guidelines. I mostly watch HD but when I watch SD I zoom it to fill the screen. When I go to bed I run the breakin DVD on loop till I leave for work in the morning. So far I have logged only about 21 hours currently. I played ps3 games on it for only a hour. No ghosting effect, or signs of IR. When I saw this tv in retail stores it looked totally different (crappy) but I am glad I took the plunge and I am a proud owner and can't wait to see how the calibration comes out.

Sorry for the rant, I could keep going with meaningless info for you folks to read but thats no fun, besides I have some COD5 catching up to do! Feel free to ask any questions if you have any..........take care!

The picture actually gets better. Try these settings, don't worry about the service menu settings just yet. Wait until you get comfortable with your set. Robbyrockets has had some training as a calibrator.
Quote:

Well folks here is the final calibration, top to bottom, and all the graphs and charts that go along with it.

Everything looks great!

The setup consisted of the following:

Denon AVR-4308CI Receiver
Panasonic TH-58PZ850U Plasma
Panasonic DMP-BD55K BRPlayer - Video Pic on player USER all 0's.

Blu-ray player was run through the receiver clean, meaning no processing done by the Denon.

HDMI1

Service Menu:

Contrast - 000
Color - 3F
Tint - 03
Sub-Brt - 800

WB-ADJ: CUSTOM

All-Cut - 80
All-Drv - FC
R-Cut - 80
G-Cut - 80
B-Cut - 80
R-Drv - FC
G-Drv - D9
B-Drv - 7D
Format - HD
Method - 03
Color Temp - Warm
(these are service menu, I would wait on these)

(User available adjustments)
PM:

Picture - +50
Brightness - +47
Color - +50
Tint - 0
Sharp - 50
CT - Warm
CM - Off
DCC - Off
C.A.T.S - Off

Pro Settings:

PB - Low
CE - Off
GA - Mid
BE - 0

W/B high R - -11
W/B high B - 0
W/B low R - +1
W/B low B - +1
AGC - Off

Advance Picture

All Off
Black Level - Light
24p - 60hz
HDS - 2

Best gamma I could pull while still achieving an excellent black level was 2.10, target was 2.2, not bad in the end.
Picture is stunning!

The service menu adjustment under CUSTOM is my friends factory default THX setting from his 800 series.

As you can tell, once I applied his THX setting, the changes were far less drastic in the pro menu.

The colors pop more at the default settings so I left them as is.

Less IR with these changes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ockets&page=14
Use webpalooza's SD card images to do about 100 hours of break-in, it seemed to help mine. Put them on a SD card(not formatted by your computer but by a camera), use the slideshow and set it to run at 15 second intervals when you are not using the TV.
http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/
Enjoy your new set.
post #1166 of 1862 Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Wall mount spacing holes on back of unit are 660mm x 320mm (26" x 12.6") wxh

Great. They are the same as on my current unit. Thanks for the help!
post #1167 of 1862 Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM

To start out, the TH-50PZ850U is OMG good right out of the box (especially compared with my old Samsung). I am looking forward to tweeaking the picture later.

For now, I have 2 questions. First, any thoughts on whether or not to buy an extended warranty ($450+/- from BB). While I came by this set as the result of my previous extended warranty I have more confidence in the technology at this point. Anyway, I am looking for opinions.

Second, I see a lot of references to a break-in dvd. I did not receive much more that the remote and manual with the TV. Was there supposed to be a break-in dvd with the units?

Thx
post #1168 of 1862 Old 03-05-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscba70 View Post

For now, I have 2 questions. First, any thoughts on whether or not to buy an extended warranty ($450+/- from BB). While I came by this set as the result of my previous extended warranty I have more confidence in the technology at this point. Anyway, I am looking for opinions.

That's a steep price for an extended warranty. I've never found extended warranties to be worthwhile, especially on electronics with few (if any) moving parts. I used my Citibank credit card for the purchase, as they extend the warranty free of charge for 1 year on anything you buy. I figured if the set doesn't break during the normal warranty period, it's probably good to go for many years of normal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscba70 View Post

Second, I see a lot of references to a break-in dvd. I did not receive much more that the remote and manual with the TV. Was there supposed to be a break-in dvd with the units?

No disc is included. You can either burn a DVD with the break-in images provided here:

http://www.eaprogramming.com/

Or you can make your life easy and save the break-in images I created to an SD card and run it in slideshow mode with Picture mode set to 50% or less, repeat set to "On", and a slide interval of 15 seconds or less:

http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma

Have fun with it!
post #1169 of 1862 Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caponegville View Post

I played the DVE basics BR after just to check out the content. It featured a special display of the 1080p format, such as 24p playback. I changed my settings to the 48hz for the 24p setting and didnt see any flickering like alot of reviews said. It made the scene look as though I was inside a theater which was awsome. I must admit it was a feature that I was unsure of but am glad to put it behind me now.

I've tried watching the same scenes on both 48Hz and 60Hz modes to see if I can discern any appreciable differences, and I just don't see it. It doesn't matter what the content is, I just don't see a real difference. Maybe my eyes are failing me, but the only difference that I do see is a noticeable (and annoying) flicker on very bright scenes in 48Hz mode.

I thought maybe 48Hz would at least smooth out panning shots or birds flying across the screen or scrolling text (like in the end credits of a movie), but there's no detectable difference to my eye. I just tried it again the other night with the end credits of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" on Blu-ray, which has white text on a black outer space background of stars. Both 48Hz and 60Hz show noticeable judder of the credits as they chug their way up the screen.

Am I missing something? Because I'm just not seeing the advantage of 48Hz mode over 60Hz mode.
post #1170 of 1862 Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc2 View Post

The picture actually gets better. Try these settings, don't worry about the service menu settings just yet. Wait until you get comfortable with your set. Robbyrockets has had some training as a calibrator.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ockets&page=14
Use webpalooza's SD card images to do about 100 hours of break-in, it seemed to help mine. Put them on a SD card(not formatted by your computer but by a camera), use the slideshow and set it to run at 15 second intervals when you are not using the TV.
http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/
Enjoy your new set.

Thanks a ton for this info......just wanna make sure this will be good settings during the break in?......I would assume so.....also didnt wanna enter the service menu because of the possible voided warranty by doing so???

p.s. I am trying the settings in a few mins......will update after trying...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page