The Official PANASONIC PZ850u thread - All sizes (settings, feedback, etc...) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1862 Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33221 View Post

Going to order the 58/850 this week. Can this plamsa provide the crispness of a highend LCD? I know the motion, fluidity, and contrast are superior - but coming from an LCD background, I still enjoy a nice crisp picture.

I have read that some owners claim a noisey picture when using any mode but Studio Ref - for HDcable - do any of you current owners experience this?

I believe there's some validity to what you claim re picture noise on other presets. I've noticed minor noise on the brighter settings (Vivid, Game). Last night, the missus and I were watching a DVR recording of "Fringe," which up till now had looked just perfect on the Studio Ref preset.

For whatever reason, this episode was lit/broadcast way too dim for S.R. I tried several other presets, and noticed the noise on the brighter ones. I wound up using the "Custom" preset, put the black level one notch lighter, and tweaked Picture, Brightness, and Color to taste, and had it pretty much the way S.R. preset has been working so well with many shows, AND there were no noise issues using the Custom preset.

It seems to me that the other presets have some of their settings "locked" and unaccessible to the user whereas Custom does, so you can only tweak them so much.

It's my current belief that any noise that appears is a consequence of using the wrong settings for a particular program. These may be growing pains as broadcast television makes the long switch over to everything being in HD, and SD will die a very long and painful death. My current solution will be to tweak my Custom settings to compensate for programs that are habitually too dark, and use S.R. for most everything else.

It all depends on your viewing habits and environment. I treat my 850U like a finely tuned race car, and my LCD like a Toyota Camry. I try to only watch HD on the plasma and only in low light conditions. My LCD can take a lot more abuse and works way better in daylight settings, so I watch most SD stuff on that as there's never any concern with burn-in or reflected glare due to its matte screen.

As for "crispness," the 850U will give you an incredible, high-res HD picture on HD content. SD, not so much, but it's not built to make SD content shine, just watchable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1862 Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM

do you guys know if a USA bought 850's warranty from panasonic would work in canada? Could someone PLEASE tell me.
post #93 of 1862 Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post

I received my TH-58PZ850U today. I unpacked and everything looks great.

I placed the TV on its stand and plugged it in. I down loaded the burn in images and placed on an SD card and plugged it into the TV. I switched to "Studio Ref" mode and started the slide show. So far that's all I've done.

My plan is to run this continuously until the weekend. Then I will move the set into position (where my Aquos 52" set currently resides) and see how things look. I'm hopeful that daytime viewing will be ok on the Panny, b/c that is one area where the Sharp Aquos really excelled. I know the Panny is going to blow it away watching movies in the evening.

Here is a link to the images for the SD card for those that were asking:

http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloa...kIn_Images.zip

when you put in studio ref mode did you leave the stock settings or did you turn down the settings

Thanks Tim
post #94 of 1862 Old 10-31-2008, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Benoit View Post

when you put in studio ref mode did you leave the stock settings or did you turn down the settings

Thanks Tim

When I first turned on the TV, I put it in "home" mode which apparently does lower the brightness somewhat globally. However after that I did not change any settings and am using the defaults for Studio Ref.

So far I haven't turned it off and just continue to run the slide show. When I come home from work tonight I'll be closing in on 75 hours. I will hit 100 tomorrow, and then will likely at least move it into the spot my LCD currently sits.

I've got three Netflix Blurays sitting at home - Speedracer, The Happening, and Dark City Director's Cut. I'll need to check what aspect ratio these are in and see if any would be suitable to play as the first film.
post #95 of 1862 Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 AM

Ok Thanks

I just got a Panasonic 58PZ850U and I have watched some tv shows on it. I turn down everything to less than 50 on the menu. I down loaded the pictures for the SD card and I going to run them to day

Thanks Tim
post #96 of 1862 Old 10-31-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:

When I first turned on the TV, I put it in "home" mode which apparently does lower the brightness somewhat globally. However after that I did not change any settings and am using the defaults for Studio Ref.

So far I haven't turned it off and just continue to run the slide show. When I come home from work tonight I'll be closing in on 75 hours. I will hit 100 tomorrow, and then will likely at least move it into the spot my LCD currently sits.

Put it in the Custom preset, then set Brightness and Picture below 50 during break-in. S.R. preset uses a very high setting, but since all you've had on it is the SD solid color images, you're probably all right.

When you're done breaking in, switch to Studio Ref and hit reset to defaults.
post #97 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Just how important is it to run this slide show, or to put it another way, what are the risks of taking the TV out of the box and going right to Studio Reference mode and watching it that way?
post #98 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[what are the risks of taking the TV out of the box and going right to Studio Reference mode and watching it that way?]

I have done just that BUT avoid an extended period of time w/black bars,high contrast logos, and computer for the first 150hrs and you should be fine .
post #99 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 AM

Question: Are users using the "Home" or the "Store" setting? This is the option that comes up when you first plug it in.

According to CNET, they found the Home (or standard) setting inadequate and recommended users use the "Store" setting in their review of the 58PZ800u. Here is a quote from them:

"Engaging standard produced a dull picture that we consider inadequate for a TV of this level, and anyone who cares about picture quality will likely avoid using standard, and naturally use more power."
post #100 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Question: Are users using the "Home" or the "Store" setting? This is the option that comes up when you first plug it in.

According to CNET, they found the Home (or standard) setting inadequate and recommended users use the "Store" setting in their review of the 58PZ800u. Here is a quote from them:

"Engaging standard produced a dull picture that we consider inadequate for a TV of this level, and anyone who cares about picture quality will likely avoid using standard, and naturally use more power."

Would this necessarily apply to the *850u model?
post #101 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Would this necessarily apply to the *850u model?

I'd be surprised if it doesn't given the similarity between the sets. I know when I first plugged mine in I was given the option of Home or Store. For the break-in period I went with Home.
post #102 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure "store" mode resets the tv every 10 minutes or so, in case people change the settings on the showroom floor. To look good on the showroom, the store default is max brightness. The point that CNet was tring to make here was that the default home settings were too dim, but this can be changed. They fixed this on pg 2 of their article using the picture control:

With the relatively few picture controls on the TH-58PZ800U, our user-menu calibration took very little time. The main change, after selecting THX mode, was to get the light output as close to our 40 ftl target as possible, which in this case meant maxing out the contrast (picture) control. Very large plasmas, larger than 50 inches, are often dimmer than other types of displays and this Panasonic was no exception,
post #103 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

According to CNET, they found the Home (or standard) setting inadequate and recommended users use the "Store" setting in their review of the 58PZ800u.

Consider the source, this brilliant CNET reviewer could not figure out how to use the TV controls?

The manual itself states do not use the store settings, it's just to make a display standout in crappy store surroundings.
post #104 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Just how important is it to run this slide show, or to put it another way, what are the risks of taking the TV out of the box and going right to Studio Reference mode and watching it that way?

Panasonic itself recommends a break-in period of at least 100 hours at low brightness and picture settings, followed by limited viewing of programming that uses sidebars, letterboxing or static graphics/logos for the next 900 hours. After that I assume you are free to watch whatever you like with very minimal risk of permanent burn-in.

The slide show -- either from the break-in DVD or the jpeg images on the SD card -- is simply a way of getting consistent and reliable break in of the plasma phosphors evenly across the board, as each color gets equal time from a solid color image versus the randomness of simply watching HD movies, etc. In other words, you can rest assured ALL phosphors get "aged" at exactly the same rate using the break-in images.

Using the SD card versus the DVD also saves wear and tear on your DVD player, plus you can adjust the number of seconds each image displays; something you can't do on the DVD.

Studio Ref mode has the Picture setting maxed at 100, so I would not advise you use that preset for break in. Rather use the Custom preset, and turn your Picture/Brightness settings down below 50 each.
post #105 of 1862 Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM

how do you adjust the # of seconds on the SD set up mine goes pretty fast
post #106 of 1862 Old 11-02-2008, 05:50 PM

Is there a wireless solution for the PZ850U? You'd think Panasonic could have had wifi built into these sets for the money they are asking. Come on, even the Wii console has built-in wifi and an ethernet port! Wifi isn't new technology.

post #107 of 1862 Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by avuser001 View Post

Is there a wireless solution for the PZ850U? You'd think Panasonic could have had wifi built into these sets for the money they are asking. Come on, even the Wii console has built-in wifi and an ethernet port! Wifi isn't new technology.

I used this, and it works great. I think any gaming adapter would work.
post #108 of 1862 Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Well I moved my 58PZ850u into position today. It was easy moving the old 52" Sharp Aquos out, but lifting the Panny was a little tricky with just my wife helping. Happily we got it into position.

After hooking up the cables, I booted up the PS3 with "The Happening" on Bluray. I immediately noticed some flickering that seemed like a bad HDMI handshake. Fiddling with the inputs, it seemed to go away, but then I had some weird little red lines showing up on the image. They were most noticeable on a black background. I did a search online and found someone else with a similar complaint and it turned out to be a bad HDMI cable. To troubleshoot, I pulled my Yamaha RX-V2700 out of the circuit and directly connected the PS3 to the Panny and sure enough the lines were gone. I then replaced the cable between the receiver and the Panny and this fixed the problem. Interesting that I never saw these lines on the Sharp Aquos.

We watched the "The Happening" using scubasteve44's settings that he outlined on the first page of this thread. Overall I was extremely pleased with the image. There were not a lot of dark scenes in this movie, but the image was very smooth and consistent. Definitely a noticeable jump over the image on the Sharp Aquos.

I'm going to run the SD break-in card for a few more days. So far things are looking great. I'm still interested to see how some daytime viewing is with the light coming in through my big windows, but that will have to wait until next weekend.
post #109 of 1862 Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well count me in as another new member of the PZ850 club. Yesterday I bought a new 46PZ850. Actually, I drove 2-1/2 hrs to the 'Windy City' to audition this set at a BB Magnolia store (we only have a couple 'reg' BBs in my area ... strange for a community of neary 400k). Anyhow, I was actually fully prepared to pick up a new Pioneer Elite 111 (they had an incredible price on it for 'Magnolia days'). But after spending a couple hours of careful auditioning between the two sets, I opted for the 850. I've spent quite a bit of time previously auditioning the 111 in various viewing environments and to be completely honest, I have to agree with all the professional reviews to date, that the Elite is overall the best display on the market today, and I was positive this was the display I was going to by. However, I have to also agree with many of the professional reviews that the Panasonics are truely deserving of the great accolades they are also garnering. IMHO they simply ARE the 'value leader' right now!

Taking the time to carefully set up each display (the 111 according to D-Nices references settings and the 850 according to slightly modified C-Net settings) and having both displays side by side in a fairly dark environment (enough to get a fairly good feel for black levels,anyhow) we fed both displays with the new Panasonic 55 Blu-ray player to ensure a good source. A quick note here ... while I'd also auditioned the 850 before, this was the best comparative environment I've had the oportunity to see it in, and it made a big difference! After a lot of comparative viewing of my reference Blu-ray movies I'd brought along, there was a consensus from everyone involved, that while the Pio did in fact prevail in it's areas of strength, the Panasonic yielded such a big slice of the pie that it was truely impressive to say the least.
Not to make a snap decision, my wife and I took a break and left to go grab a sandwich at Portillo's (a MUST whenever visiting the Windy), and thought things through carefully. While we both agreed the reviews are correct and the 111 is 'the best', we simply came to the conclusion that the Panny was so close in many aspects that (for us), it was just not worth the premium. For those that own the Pioneers I can easily see why they are thrilled with them and why they are worth every penny to them. But for me, for some strange reason, I've always been one of those guys that enjoys finding those special products out there that can offer the consumer (nearly) as good as 'the best' reference performance for a bargain price and I feel the 850 is just one of those products

An extra plus for us was the fact that a 46" size display works perfectly for or situation, so into the truck it went and 2-1/2 hrs later we were hauling it into the HT room. Unfortunately, that's as far as it's gotten so far as today we had to play a couple lumberjacks and cut down some trees that we've been wanting to tackle before winter sets in. I'm anxious, however, to get this bad boy fired up to see just how good this display will look mated to my new Pioneer Elite 05 Blu-ray player (which incidentally has popped an incredible pic on my current older generation Panny plasma). One of the perks of buying through BB (and being a Silver Rewards member) is that I've got a 45 day return policy, so I've got plenty of time to test this set out thoroughly and what they heck, if I have a problem and have to exchange it, it's just another road trip and another shot at Portillos .
post #110 of 1862 Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 AM

Per CragAntler:

"Panasonic itself recommends a break-in period of at least 100 hours at low brightness and picture settings, followed by limited viewing of programming that uses sidebars, letterboxing or static graphics/logos for the next 900 hours. After that I assume you are free to watch whatever you like with very minimal risk of permanent burn-in."

Mr. CragAntler; Could you provide a link to Panasonic's suggestion that owners wait 900 hours prior to using letterbox, etc.

I have not been able to find such a suggestion.
post #111 of 1862 Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Can anyone breakdown the benefit of the 850 over the 800? I am considering one of these TV's and was wondering why you would chose the 850 over the 800? Take price out of it and go soley on features/pictrues.
post #112 of 1862 Old 11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CragAntler View Post

Panasonic itself recommends a break-in period of at least 100 hours at low brightness and picture settings, followed by limited viewing of programming that uses sidebars, letterboxing or static graphics/logos for the next 900 hours. After that I assume you are free to watch whatever you like with very minimal risk of permanent burn-in.

The slide show -- either from the break-in DVD or the jpeg images on the SD card -- is simply a way of getting consistent and reliable break in of the plasma phosphors evenly across the board, as each color gets equal time from a solid color image versus the randomness of simply watching HD movies, etc. In other words, you can rest assured ALL phosphors get "aged" at exactly the same rate using the break-in images.

Using the SD card versus the DVD also saves wear and tear on your DVD player, plus you can adjust the number of seconds each image displays; something you can't do on the DVD.

Studio Ref mode has the Picture setting maxed at 100, so I would not advise you use that preset for break in. Rather use the Custom preset, and turn your Picture/Brightness settings down below 50 each.

Thanks! Very helpful guidance for myself and everyone else on this thread.
post #113 of 1862 Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

Can anyone breakdown the benefit of the 850 over the 800? I am considering one of these TV's and was wondering why you would chose the 850 over the 800? Take price out of it and go soley on features/pictrues.

The sets are very similar. The 850 has a slightly wider color gamut and adds the Viera Cast internet connectivity. With Viera Cast you can access YouTube, weather info, stock ticker and some other internet connect directly from the television. The 800 on the other hand is THX certified.

If the internet connectivity is not a big issue for you, I'd probably go with the 800.

I was planning on buying the 58PZ800U, but the seller I went through gave me a free upgrade to the 850U, so I ended up going with that one.
post #114 of 1862 Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

As stated above, the 850 adds DCC (Digital Cinema Color) as an option and some here (myself included) like the slight additional 'punch' it can add to the picture. Also, if you like to tweek the displays picture settings, the 850 also offers more picture adjustments in it's user menu (under Pro Settings). While both sets offer a great picture, the 850 can possibly offer you a few more picture options for your particular viewing environment. But bottom line is you can't go wrong with either set
post #115 of 1862 Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daarrid View Post

Per CragAntler:

"Panasonic itself recommends a break-in period of at least 100 hours at low brightness and picture settings, followed by limited viewing of programming that uses sidebars, letterboxing or static graphics/logos for the next 900 hours. After that I assume you are free to watch whatever you like with very minimal risk of permanent burn-in."

Mr. CragAntler; Could you provide a link to Panasonic's suggestion that owners wait 900 hours prior to using letterbox, etc.

I have not been able to find such a suggestion.

Click on this Panasonic White Paper PDF file, and check out pages 3-4.

Also, I did not say you had to wait 900 hours before you could display letterboxing. I said you should "limit" such use during the first 900 hours after the initial break in period.

The white paper is a few years old now, so perhaps it's not such a concern anymore. Panasonic does not mention the 900-hour period in its current break-in/burn-in FAQ.

Just use common sense. Don't use torchlight settings, and don't leave static images up on the screen for hours on end, and you should be okay.

~ Crag
post #116 of 1862 Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM

I bought just because of the price I was lookig for a 800 but the 850 was on sale for $500.00 less than 800 and 36 months no interest
post #117 of 1862 Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 AM

Does anyone know where I can down load a operators manual for and 850? I did not see it on the Panasonic site.

Thanks,
post #118 of 1862 Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM

1. I got my 58" 850U yesterday. Price was $3150 with shipping & insurance (no tax), 3 year 0% interest financing, & was delivered in 4 business days.
2. Beautiful set & picture. I think my settings are going to be a lot different than those posted here. I'll put them up in a couple of weeks.
3. I'm still going through the owner's manual so this may be in there, but I'm finding that the 850U doesn't automatically change aspect ratios based on my TiVo and Comcast dvrs' output source (4:3 & 16:9 recordings). My 3 year old 50" Panny did this automatically. Is there something in the setup that addresses this??
post #119 of 1862 Old 11-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Hey all... I've mentioned in previous posts that my favorite HD show to watch on my 58PZ850U is The Big Bang Theory on CBS. The main set on that show has so many diverse accents of color, and the costumes are even more so. It's perfectly lit, and really seems to show off the power of the Studio Ref preset.

Last night, the Penny character was wearing this very loud green and yellow striped number that, although quite tacky, really challenged the color balance of the set, which displayed it quite stunningly. So much so, that it seemed very plausible that producer Chuck Lorre must have an 850U himself, and purposely puts all these colors together in his show just so he can go home and relish in his own Panny's performance.

Anyone else seen this show on the 850, or have their own favorite program they love to watch in Studio Ref?
post #120 of 1862 Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CragAntler View Post

Anyone else seen this show on the 850, or have their own favorite program they love to watch in Studio Ref?

Tutors looks great in HD, I dont watch it in Studio Ref thou. If you want the best quailty, HD formats on disc at 1080p beats anything on TV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays