The Official PANASONIC PZ850u thread - All sizes (settings, feedback, etc...) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1862 Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cleveland Plasma - Don't know if I can say that or not, but I'm happy with them so far. It was a wee bit less expensive elsewhere but I think the support should I need it will far outweigh the extra. Plus I don't mind supporting a board sponsor.

Still worried about the 'color accuracy issues' (CNet) but I'm hopeful they can be dealt with via a pro ISF tuner. I did look at it vs. a KURO yesterday too, The Kuro does look better, but not $2K better.
I am glad however I picked this over the Samsung LED LCD. The more you compare them - once you get over the 'pop' of the LCD - the better the Panasonic looks, especially with movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1862 Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called Panasonic's Plasma Concierge Hotline, 800 973-4390, and here it what I found about this issue;

1. Pixel Orbiter added to 2008 models, moves picture around slightly to reduce risk of inconsistent aging of pixels across screen ( what some call burn-in ) from sidebars, crawlers, fixed station logos, etc on some program material. Panasonic also developed new phosphors that are resistant to image burn-in;

2. The recommend for first 100 hours, minimize / avoid material with above listed type material, and bright games;

3. Preferred mode to use in first 100 hours is "Cinema", but "Standard" also OK ( avoid "Vivid" or "Gaming" mode ).

You can adjust down Brightness, Picture and Sharpness lower to below 50 as some posts have suggested if you want from these modes during first 100 hours).

The rest posted here on this issue by some seems overkill to me based on this. Do what you feel is appropriate.

BTW, rated half life of brightness for this TH-58PZ850U 2008 model is 100,000 hours, up from 2007 model = 60,000 hours ( better than CRT and LCDs, generally 30,000 and 60,000, respectively. )

Also, Should not hum up to 9200 feet above sea level ( up from 2007 model = 8858 ft. ). Life or picture not affected by altitude, just creates hum.

Rick
post #183 of 1862 Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM

For those of you who used Evangelo2's break-in images - do you mind posting your break-in settings?

I'm assuming when running the breakin images thats the standard studio ref settings are okay but just curious what others used.

Thanks!
post #184 of 1862 Old 11-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazi0ne View Post

For those of you who used Evangelo2's break-in images - do you mind posting your break-in settings?

I'm assuming when running the breakin images thats the standard studio ref settings are okay but just curious what others used.

Thanks!

I just turned everything down below 50
post #185 of 1862 Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Benoit View Post

Thanks! Did you use the break-in images or just watch fullscreen content?

When using the SD slot for images, is there an option to set how long each image cycles on the screen? If so, how long did you set?
post #186 of 1862 Old 11-25-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, a local dealer, A***son's is still offering the very competitive price for NIB, that they advertised last weekend. I bought mine today and it will be delivered Friday. Delivery is free and they offer a 30 day exchange period; even for just a single dead pixel. If you buy it with a BD player there is some sort of rebate.

I read CR , this forum, spent some time at Fry's looking at Samsungs, then wandered over to Anderson's. They had an 800 and an 850 side by side so I was able to directly compare THX vs Studio. Close but not the same and both were good. All other settings were the defaults. The program source was HD sat and it took some looking to find a clean channel.

The only negative that I saw was that black and white movies showed faint pink tones in areas transitioning from darker to lighter. I looked for it in clouds with color programming but didn't see it. I have a TH-50PX500U that shows the same pink on occasion. It is much less noticeable with the new models. It was not enough to dissuade me, perhaps I've just gotten used to it.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #187 of 1862 Old 11-27-2008, 07:32 AM

Mine will be here Monday, I can't wait!!
post #188 of 1862 Old 11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Benoit View Post

My feeling is that the need for break-in disks was overtaken by engineering four generations back.

My first PDP was a TH-50PX500U, and I did not use any sort of break-in CD or images. I used the cinema mode with the picture dialed down a bit (but still useable in daylight). It was fine. I made some initial adjustments using the THX Optimizer and then after 100 hours or so I redid the adjustments using DVE

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #189 of 1862 Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazi0ne View Post

Thanks! Did you use the break-in images or just watch fullscreen content?

When using the SD slot for images, is there an option to set how long each image cycles on the screen? If so, how long did you set?

I did both I ran the sd card a night when I went to bed and while I was at work and watched tv programs if the the picture did not cover the whole screen I just zoomed it so I did not have any black bars

Tim
post #190 of 1862 Old 11-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Ok would $2560 be a good price for the TH-58PZ850U? I'm considering this tv and the new Samsung 55" 950 and Mitsubishi's LCD52246. This seems like a really good price for this tv. For me my worry(concern) with Plasma is image retention(burn in) and they get hot. We tend to watch a few movies a lot and those movies have bars. If we are not Watching a movie it's HD SAT(dish).I'm not sure I want to "stretch" the picture.Am I missing anything else I should be concerned about?
post #191 of 1862 Old 11-27-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

Ok would $2560 be a good price for the TH-58PZ850U? I'm considering this tv and the new Samsung 55" 950 and Mitsubishi's LCD52246. This seems like a really good price for this tv. For me my worry(concern) with Plasma is image retention(burn in) and they get hot. We tend to watch a few movies a lot and those movies have bars. If we are not Watching a movie it's HD SAT(dish).I'm not sure I want to "stretch" the picture.Am I missing anything else I should be concerned about?

Q1 I would say yes if we could talk price. Instead I'll say that if you buy the 850 you will have a great display at a really good price.

Q2 Image retention has not been a serious problem for awhile now. At most you will see the occasional ghost image and that disappears altogether with use. Side bars are less of an issue if you can set them to gray, but watching a movie with black sidebars won't be a problem unless you watch nothing else. Just don't run at the default Vivid setting for the first hundred hours or so (or ever in my opinion).

Q3 They do put out some heat; power consumption and waste heat vary with picture level. I wouldn't recommend watching for hours in a small unventilated room; open a window or door once in awhile.

-Bertrand Russell
post #192 of 1862 Old 11-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

Q1 I would say yes if we could talk price. Instead I'll say that if you buy the 850 you will have a great display at a really good price.

Q2 Image retention has not been a serious problem for awhile now. At most you will see the occasional ghost image and that disappears altogether with use. Side bars are less of an issue if you can set them to gray, but watching a movie with black sidebars won't be a problem unless you watch nothing else. Just don't run at the default Vivid setting for the first hundred hours or so (or ever in my opinion).

Q3 They do put out some heat; power consumption and waste heat vary with picture level. I wouldn't recommend watching for hours in a small unventilated room; open a window or door once in awhile.

I would say that $2560 is a caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) price. Like New York bait and switch price. Can't name names but anything below $3100 (including shipping & tax) would be a GREAT price. Just sayin'.
post #193 of 1862 Old 11-27-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
That 2560 is pricing through an employer program directly from Panasonic. I have it available too. If they didn't charge local tax I might be there.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #194 of 1862 Old 11-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

That 2560 is pricing through an employer program directly from Panasonic. I have it available too. If they didn't charge local tax I might be there.

IS there tax on all 50 states of just where they are based out of?
post #195 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 09:03 AM

Based on their interpretation of the Internet Tax Freedom Act, they charge local tax on all orders in every state (or at least those that have the tax). Not sure if others are shipping for free also, but for me it was a very quick free shipping. I had mine in my door in just less than one week.
post #196 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 12:26 PM

If you have the time, I'd appreciate if anyone here can tell me how they decided to go with the 850 series and not the 800. I'm having a hard time deciding. I like the extra picture adjustment on the 850 but I'm worried that they are just useless without the proper calibration equipment needed to use them properly.
post #197 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc8710 View Post

If you have the time, I'd appreciate if anyone here can tell me how they decided to go with the 850 series and not the 800. I'm having a hard time deciding. I like the extra picture adjustment on the 850 but I'm worried that they are just useless without the proper calibration equipment needed to use them properly.

I too went through the same hardship. My buddy ordered a 50in 800 and I got to see it in action at home before making my decision. It was great! THX mode looked very accurate. I am used to an LCD, so it took some getting used to to realize accurate colors are better than pop. However, after doing some research, I liked the idea of a wider color gamut in the 850. Yes, Cnet says the color or less accurate, but alittle over saturation isnt all that bad and can be rather good looking at times.

I made the decision and went with the 58pz850. I have it in my condo, but not unpacked yet I feel as more people purchase this, we will get a better understanding of the tweaking that comes with the TV - thus giving us a stunning picture. You really cant go wrong with either TV. From what I hear, THX is very similar to Studio Ref. Also, I talked to a few calibrators that said the 850 has the ability to give out more light - and thats a plus for me since I have lots of Ambient light in the day time.

Good luck with your decision - both diplays will leave you happy with your purchase.
post #198 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looked at an 850 and an 800 side by side, the 850 in studio mode and the 800 in THX mode. There were clear differences in color balance, clear, but subtle. The greater tweekability of the 850 appealed to me, the internet connectivity did not, but it came down to price. I could get the 850 for >$3K.

While I agree that using the proper gear is best for adjusting the picture, I think that one can do quite a bit with DVE or the free calibration disk download offered in the calibration forum.

-Bertrand Russell
post #199 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I looked at an 850 and an 800 side by side, the 850 in studio mode and the 800 in THX mode. There were clear differences in color balance, clear, but subtle. The greater tweekability of the 850 appealed to me, the internet connectivity did not, but it came down to price. I could get the 850 for >$3K.

While I agree that using the proper gear is best for adjusting the picture, I think that one can do quite a bit with DVE or the free calibration disk download offered in the calibration forum.

I'm still wondering if my 850 can be brought to be as 'correct' as the 800 in THX. Are there any hidden settings etc. to work with? I went with the 850 hoping the 'tweakability' options would allow me to set this thing exactly to my liking if I didn't like the THX or studio mode...

Guess I'll find out, mine gets here Monday, but any comments?
post #200 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post

I'm still wondering if my 850 can be brought to be as 'correct' as the 800 in THX. Are there any hidden settings etc. to work with? I went with the 850 hoping the 'tweakability' options would allow me to set this thing exactly to my liking if I didn't like the THX or studio mode...

I dont believe you will be able to replicate the exact THX mode, but can come pretty close. Again - this is where the wider color gamut way shine or bust (depending on the person really!)

From people who have experienced Studio ref with DCC (digital cinema color) - they really prefered the extra pop. I imagine DCC would really shine with pixar type movies.
post #201 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We may never know unless someone does a rigorous comparison with graphs and photos. But again if the THX mode was "perfection", then the studio mode was the next best thing, and if they had not been side by side I would not have been at all certain that there was a difference. I think that either will look very good right out of the box.

Mine is supposed to be here in an hour or so. So no regrets.

It is funny how these things go. I have no internet connection in any room with a TV, but now I have two players, a display and a receiver that have some connectivity feature. Gee wiz features for me. Then I found myself buying cat 6 cables, jacks, wall plates etc., and relocating the wireless router and cable modem to the garage. I am writing this on a computer that was switched to wired Ethernet an hour ago. Tomorrow while my daughter hogs the new plasma I will pull coax and cat 6 to the kitchen and cat 6 to the family room.
But I swear, no more, never! (Or, at least until Netflix starts streaming HD).

-Bertrand Russell
post #202 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I like the extra picture adjustment on the 850 but I'm worried that they are just useless without the proper calibration equipment needed to use them properly.

None of the 850 features need calibration equipment to use them properly.

Also THX pre-set is a pre-set, done mostly for marketing, not a special mode somehow magically different from all other pre-set ever done.
post #203 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 PM

I am just wondering how you can get the employee pricing thing or EPP that everyone is talking about? Is there a list of employers out there? I work for the federal govt. Do I qualify?

PSN: JF7FSU
post #204 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The greater tweekability of the 850 appealed to me, the internet connectivity did not

I too chose the 850 over the 800. The internet connectivity was a big plus for me, I love watching youtube on my 58, plus I like how easily one can do the firmware upgrades via the ethernet port.

Picture wise I can see a red push on the 850 that I haven't been able to get rid of yet.

R
post #205 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm confused about the Picasa Photo feature on this TV. One sales clerk told me that photos need to be on Picasa's own network to view through the TV, another told me that you just have to be using the Picasa software program on your own computer to view your photos on the TV. I use an Ethernet Powerline adapter from my computer's router to my various HT components. Please advise.
post #206 of 1862 Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF7FSU View Post

I am just wondering how you can get the employee pricing thing or EPP that everyone is talking about? Is there a list of employers out there? I work for the federal govt. Do I qualify?

One of the amazing things about the internet is the ability to search for anwers. A wag might say that the url which follows is a clue.https://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...?storeId=15001

You may not qualify for that program (my recollection is that the feds were not much into that sort of thing) but Microsoft has a deal for you and the prices used to be very low. No plasmas perhaps, but a lot of satisfaction in serving the nation

Now can we get back to talking about the 850

-Bertrand Russell
post #207 of 1862 Old 11-29-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I'm confused about the Picasa Photo feature on this TV. One sales clerk told me that photos need to be on Picasa's own network to view through the TV, another told me that you just have to be using the Picasa software program on your own computer to view your photos on the TV. I use an Ethernet Powerline adapter from my computer's router to my various HT components. Please advise.

I'm fairly new to using Picasa, but here is what I did. I downloaded Picasa on my PC (free!) and installed it. I then loaded in a bunch of digital photo's, create some albums, and then uploaded them. I then went to the Panny and accessed the Picasa area and after plugging in my Picasa account info I was able to view the web albums. It really was super slick.

BTW, I remember trying Picasa a long time ago and wasn't super-excited by it. Clearly the program has improved a ton and I'm really liking it now. It makes basic photo editing very simple (think iPhoto) but has a lot of nice features. Definitely a steal for the price.
post #208 of 1862 Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 AM

I've been reading extensively about the 800u and 850u and I remember reading at some point that you can't save settings for each input (i.e. have HDMI 1 set to THX Mode and HDMI2 set to Game Mode) for the 800u. Is this also the case for the 850u? I really don't want to have to change modes every time I switch sources.
post #209 of 1862 Old 11-29-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Real Nice View Post

I've been reading extensively about the 800u and 850u and I remember reading at some point that you can't save settings for each input (i.e. have HDMI 1 set to THX Mode and HDMI2 set to Game Mode) for the 800u. Is this also the case for the 850u? I really don't want to have to change modes every time I switch sources.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that yes, this is true with the 850 as well. I'm liking that idea also.
post #210 of 1862 Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that yes, this is true with the 850 as well. I'm liking that idea also.

Sorry, I don't get what you're saying. You like the idea that you have to do a 2-step operation for what should be a 1-step operation? This just seems like a huge issue to me to have to change settings along with inputs every time I want to change viewing material. Can Logitech's remotes be programmed with macros to eliminate this or what?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page