My Pio 5040HD died, and my dealings with the Warranty company. Got a 5010FD. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In January this year (2008), my Pioneer PDP-5040HD suddenly stopped working. I'd switch it on, the screen would show a snowy purple haze, and then switch off after 3 seconds.

When I bought the TV 4 years ago, i had also purchased a RepairMaster (Warrentech) 4 yr warranty for it. I called them, they assigned it to a local service company who came out and took my TV. Fast forward 4 months later and a bzillion unreturned calls and horrible service, they returned my TV back, still not working, and physically damaged (screws broken in the back, tonnes of deep scratches on the bottom bezel, as if the TV was dragged on a pavement or something). and the TV would still not turn on. They said they could not find parts anywhere. During this time, I tried to get RepairMaster invoved to get them to talk to his company, and they would, but would just tell me to wait as it takes time to fix these things..4+ months??? really???
Then RepairMaster assigned it to some other company even though I pushed them to offer a replacement as it had been more than 4 months, and the TV supposedly was unfixable as per the previous company.
New company comes out, takes a look and says, we're not dealing with this TV as its damaged. Warranty company says thats not good enough, and that they'll assign to a third company to take a look. Bear in mind, atleast 2 weeks pass between each event/decison that the warranty company makes. I lost it at this point...spoke to their managers, complained some more, ready to take legal action, as these guys were not taking any responsibility or have any sense of urgency to get me a functional TV, 5 months after I opened a case with them. As it turns out, the first company they assigned it to was not even a Pioneer authorized service facility. go figure.

finally, 2 weeks ago, after I had sent complaints to the BBB, and the State Attorney Generals Office of the Warranty companys negligence, i was told they would offer me a replacement. A Pioneer PDP-5010FD. It got delivered yesterday.
I cannot believe how aweful my experience was for the past 5-6 months in dealing with these companies. I'm just glad that they actually came through in the end and got me a replacement. But I'm not sure it was worth all my time and frustration it caused me (and my wife!).

I set it up, and its a beauty..although I wish the speaker was in two parts, and could be set up on the sides as wings, as opposed to just the bottom, and I wish they still had the receiver box like my old set did.

thought I'd share my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry to hear about such a bad experince sounds like a dreadful experience. Do you have suggestions for avoiding a situation such as yours?

I've always been curious, does the replacement panel come with warranty? If not do you have warranty options available?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
good to know...i thought repairmaster was one one of the more known companies.

do you happen know what made them move? complaint to BBB or th SAG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asem111 View Post

In January this year (2008), my Pioneer PDP-5040HD suddenly stopped working. I'd switch it on, the screen would show a snowy purple haze, and then switch off after 3 seconds.

When I bought the TV 4 years ago, i had also purchased a RepairMaster (Warrentech) 4 yr warranty for it. I called them, they assigned it to a local service company who came out and took my TV. Fast forward 4 months later and a bzillion unreturned calls and horrible service, they returned my TV back, still not working, and physically damaged (screws broken in the back, tonnes of deep scratches on the bottom bezel, as if the TV was dragged on a pavement or something). and the TV would still not turn on. They said they could not find parts anywhere. During this time, I tried to get RepairMaster invoved to get them to talk to his company, and they would, but would just tell me to wait as it takes time to fix these things..4+ months??? really???
Then RepairMaster assigned it to some other company even though I pushed them to offer a replacement as it had been more than 4 months, and the TV supposedly was unfixable as per the previous company.
New company comes out, takes a look and says, we're not dealing with this TV as its damaged. Warranty company says thats not good enough, and that they'll assign to a third company to take a look. Bear in mind, atleast 2 weeks pass between each event/decison that the warranty company makes. I lost it at this point...spoke to their managers, complained some more, ready to take legal action, as these guys were not taking any responsibility or have any sense of urgency to get me a functional TV, 5 months after I opened a case with them. As it turns out, the first company they assigned it to was not even a Pioneer authorized service facility. go figure.

finally, 2 weeks ago, after I had sent complaints to the BBB, and the State Attorney Generals Office of the Warranty companys negligence, i was told they would offer me a replacement. A Pioneer PDP-5010FD. It got delivered yesterday.
I cannot believe how aweful my experience was for the past 5-6 months in dealing with these companies. I'm just glad that they actually came through in the end and got me a replacement. But I'm not sure it was worth all my time and frustration it caused me (and my wife!).

I set it up, and its a beauty..although I wish the speaker was in two parts, and could be set up on the sides as wings, as opposed to just the bottom, and I wish they still had the receiver box like my old set did.

thought I'd share my experience.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

asem, sorry you and wife had to got throgh that to get the service you paid for. but glad they did work it out finally without further actions.

the 5010 is an excellent set but for what you probably paid for the 5040 they shoulda given you a new Pro111 .

hope you enjoy the 5010 and it last a long time for you.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Estop: you know, I'm not exactly sure what the warranty coverage is. I am asusming its covered under manafucturers (Pioneer's) warranty for the standard 1 year. The plasma was procured and shipped from TigerDirect by the warranty company. As far as my extended warranty, that I believe ceases to be in affect any more as a replacement TV was provided.

dgkja: I think it was the BBB filing that made them move. I checked on the BB site, and apparantly the warranty company has about 134-ish complaints, and all of them have been marked resolved!

dssturbo1: yeah, you're right...four years ago, i paid about $6500 for the plasma...i could get the elite for that and more right now.. BUt I guess I can't really complain...the 5010 is still more TV than I had before...
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asem111 View Post

dgkja: I think it was the BBB filing that made them move. I checked on the BB site, and apparantly the warranty company has about 134-ish complaints, and all of them have been marked resolved!

you know, like most consumers, i have had an occasional problem with a vendor or a store. next time i'll try the bbb approach...i think in most areas the complaint can be filed on line now. thanks for the info.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

And this is just one of the reasons why I don't spend extra on an extended warranty. Sounds like it turned out good for you in the end but I really don't have the energy and willpower to jump through hoops like you did to get that result. Just curious....your location says Virginia but I couldn't get past your spelling of "tonnes"...are you originally from the UK or maybe even Canada?

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

........Just curious....your location says Virginia but I couldn't get past your spelling of "tonnes"...are you originally from the UK or maybe even Canada?

Good observation! I am in Virginia (northern VA), but lived in the Middle East for my first 18 years...schools there taught the Queens english
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page