Pioneer 9G "buzz" poll (Elite and non-Elite) - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 9G Pioneer have a "buzz"?
No buzz 0 0%
Only from back of set 0 0%
Only when sitting close (less than 4 ft) 0 0%
Yes, but it's not annoying 0 0%
Yes, and it's annoying 0 0%
Yes, and it's the reason I returned the set 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please describe how much buzz you hear from your Pioneer 9G model. Also, please note the model number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My 6020 Buzzes pretty loud.

Before getting my 6020 I had a 5080.
The 5080 I had barely buzzed at all. If you stuck your head behind the set you could hear it a little. But I never heard the 5080 buzz at normal viewing distance unless I turned the sound off and I listen really hard. So I never gave the buzz a second thought. And never worried about plasma buzz again.
Until I got my 6020.
It can be clearly heard from as far as 16 feet away.
The buzz changes pitch depending on the brightness of the content it is displaying.
And the 6020 is in the same spot, in the same room, on the same surge protector, and being heard by the same person.
So in my case, I can rule out room acoustics, Dirty Power (needing a power conditioner), Personal hearing differences, and the set needing to be broken in (buzz did not decrease after full break-in using evangelo's break-in dvd)

One thing that will help ALOT of people is to set the Power control to:
"POWERSAVE MODE2".

Yes it will decrease the overall brightness of the set but not by much.
Many can’t even tell when the powersave is set to mode2.
So powersave mode2 can be a complete fix for some people. Which is GREAT! Just having that choice helps alot of people and makes them feel much better.
I only use Powersave2 when I am surfing the net or doing anthing that is silent on the TV. During Silence it is just so annoying that I cannot stand it.
But powersave mode2 almost completly eliminates the buzz in my case.
During movie watching/sports/etc, I turn the powersave to "off". I want the TV to display its full brightness potential when watching movies/etc.
I can still hear the buzz during quiet scenes but have gotten used to it.

If you have a buzz problem then try Powersave mode2 and see if the decreased brightness bothers you. If it does not then use powersave mode2.
post #3 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

I used to own a Pro-150FD elite and there was a pretty distinct high pitched whine sound when the TV was powered off/standby mode. It was like the ringing in one's ear and was mainly noticeable when things were pretty quiet.

If we are 'polling' for annoying noises ... I would like to know if any 9G's do this?
post #4 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf10014 View Post

If we are 'polling' for annoying noises ... I would like to know if any 9G's do this?

I have not experienced any noise when the set is in standby/power off mode.
Only when displaying content.
The buzz is at its worse when the screen goes to a bright white color or any "lighter" color.
I had thought that the buzz would decrease after break-in but I am finished with break-in and the buzz is the same.
Has anyone here personally had Pioneer replaced the set due to excessive buzzing?
I would like to hear personal stories from people who have actually contacted pioneer about this issue and what was done (if anything).
There seems to be some confusuion as to whether Pioneer considers a loud buzz a defect or not. I have heard from many owners that Pioneer will not replace an excessive buzzer, and I have heard from some dealers that they will and have done so in the past.

Is there a distance that the buzz can be heard that Pioneer uses to determine if the set has an anormal buzz or if its just the normal buzz that is inherit to plasma technology?
If so what is the distance?
Do they use sound measuring devises to determine if it is excessive or normal buzz?

-Thanks,
Chad
post #5 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 03:17 PM

I have only had my 6020 for about 2 weeks, but I can only notice it from behind the panel or maybe if your ear is right up to the front of the screen. Powersave is off.
post #6 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 PM

5020 and buzz only from within inches of the tv. Otherwise, can't hear anything.

I haven't heard any reports of 5020's that buzz loud, only 6020s.
post #7 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
i am getting closer to that samsung 65 inch
post #8 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Model: 6020

Buzz: Extremely noticeable and extremely annoying when Power Save is Off. I sit about 12 feet from the set. Buzz can be heard from the back of the set (the power buzz) and from the front. So, buzz is being generated on both sides.

On Power Save Mode 2, I can't notice the buzz unless I set the screen to mute and affirmatively try to listen to it.
post #9 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 173
andy,

You don't happen to live at high altitude?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #10 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

have any of you tired to tighten the bolts on the back of the set which you use to mount the TV? i did it with another TV i had and it seems to stop the buzzing, sometimes the big back bolts arent tightened up enough and its the actual back metal panel that buzzes.
post #11 of 1626 Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 PM

I have worked very closely on the buzz issue and have a few remarks to help clarify the issue.

First, the buzz is almost identical from panel to panel, assuming we are comparing same models/sizes/generations. So changing a 5020 for another 5020 will yield little too no difference. Some may report a different buzz and I would respond that if the panels are not placed exactly in the same position and the seating is not exactly the same you can't accurately compare the panels buzz.

Second, Very few people can even hear the buzz. That's because most of us we lose our ability to hear the oscillating frequency at about 30 yrs old. For example, I have enjoyed and been blessed with "Golden Ears" and could hear better than most. A 5020 user asked me to stop by to hear his buzzing panel and no matter how hard I tried I could not hear any sound whatsoever while the 28 yr old customer hear the buzz. The moral of the story is my "Golden Ears" are in their "Golden Years".

Third, all panel buzz, and it may be true that Pioneer panels may buzz slightly more than some other panels as they bond the filter on the single glass panel. Their are significant image quality advantages in Pioneer design.

Forth, The radiation pattern is very weak and small and is located directly in front of the panel and can reach somewhere between 6' and 14'. So adjusting the height and angle of the panel can eliminate the buzz.

Fifth, with any background noise or with the volume on even at a low level no one can hear the buzz.

Hope this helps.

-Robert
post #12 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

with any background noise or with the volume on even at a low level no one can hear the buzz.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

Great post! However, when I had my 8g 150FD, when listening at low levels, the buzz was always there. I did notice after time I got acclimated to the buzz and didn't notice it as much. But it was still always there. I hope it isn't as obtrusive in the 9gs. I'm still waiting on a (hopefully buzz free) 151.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #13 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Waboman, ^^ Thanks!

BTW, you have great hearing.

Go Twins!

-Robert
post #14 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 05:38 AM

I have "NO BUZZ" on my 151fd I did do 6 days of break in CD and have it hooked up to a panamax 5400-PM not sure if that matters but wanted to give full detail
post #15 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 AM

There is no spoon...
post #16 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the buzz has alot to do with the position you sit from the TV like robert said.
If you sit directly in front of the set between 4-16 feet, you can hear it a whole lot more than if you sit to the side.
You have to be in "the path of the buzz" so to speak.
My living room is small and I sit directly in front of the panel (I would sit nowhere else).
If you have a large living room then you may not have an issue with the buzz.
I have my 6020 kind of in a corner also, maybe that is part of the reason

The thing that baffels me is that my 5080 did not buzz like this at all. At all.
I had to stick my head behind the TV to hear it, or stick my head one inch from the screen and listen extremly hard just to hear a peep.
So whats the big difference. The 6020 is 60 inches and has many more pixels but I still have a hard time believing that those differences would make the buzzing so much worse. Maybe some difference but not "night and day" like I have noticed.

And every person that has come to my house has noticed the buzz.
If they are standing to the side of the TV they will not hear it.
Its when they sit in my recliner (directly 9 feet in front of the TV) that they hear it.

And everyone from my 28 year old brother to my 61 year old mother (who has had Ear surgery due to infections on both ears) notices the buzz when sitting in the recliner. So who knows.

But Robert is right, when watching regular TV the buzz is not an issue. The sound drowns it out. And in a slient scene its not bad unless you really listen for it and there is a "Bright" image on the screen. During dark silent scenes I have a hard time even hearing it.

Normal viewing is not an issue for me at all now. And when I surf the net its "powersave mode2" time!
Its alot better when you can do something about the issue.

I would be willing to bet that if someone snuck into my settings and changed it to powersave mode2, I would not be able to tell the difference unless they told me.
The brightness decreases that little. So for most people I would recommend powersave mode2 and forget about the buzz and enjoy your new Kuro.
post #17 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ You have a pioneer warranty i would use it.. Call them up if it is so loud and see what a tech says.
post #18 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

I have worked very closely on the buzz issue and have a few remarks to help clarify the issue.

First, the buzz is almost identical from panel to panel, assuming we are comparing same models/sizes/generations. So changing a 5020 for another 5020 will yield little too no difference. Some may report a different buzz and I would respond that if the panels are not placed exactly in the same position and the seating is not exactly the same you can't accurately compare the panels buzz.

Second, Very few people can even hear the buzz. That's because most of us we lose our ability to hear the oscillating frequency at about 30 yrs old. For example, I have enjoyed and been blessed with "Golden Ears" and could hear better than most. A 5020 user asked me to stop by to hear his buzzing panel and no matter how hard I tried I could not hear any sound whatsoever while the 28 yr old customer hear the buzz. The moral of the story is my "Golden Ears" are in their "Golden Years".

Third, all panel buzz, and it may be true that Pioneer panels may buzz slightly more than some other panels as they bond the filter on the single glass panel. Their are significant image quality advantages in Pioneer design.

Forth, The radiation pattern is very weak and small and is located directly in front of the panel and can reach somewhere between 6' and 14'. So adjusting the height and angle of the panel can eliminate the buzz.

Fifth, with any background noise or with the volume on even at a low level no one can hear the buzz.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

Good post Robert but I have to disagree on a few points based on my and other customers experience.

Individual hearing plays a big part what I can hear family members have not been able too.
No surprise luckly I can still hear the higher frequencies in my late 40's or is it lucky?

My 150 was fine till about 130 hours then it developed the cyclical buzz that fluctuates higher on light scenes and lower on dark scenes. This fluctuation is what makes it extremely noticeable.

Brougt it stores attention and tried special power cable, Tripp Lite power conditioner, and power supply replaced as well with no success. Pioneer varified it was the panel and it would have to be replaced. Seveal customers who had the same issue had their sets replaced and the buzz was not there! So not all the panels have the issue! On that note why would my set that had the standard and normal behind the panel buzz that could not be heard during normal viewing develope this issue after 130 hours? I am located at sea level on the East coast so it is altitude causing the problem in our area.

My question still is what is different between the sets. Same location, same person. Could it be how certain components are tightend or dampinning materials are applied during manufacture? Are there Varences in panel assembly or locations?

Now my PQ is outstanding but when I watch and have the buzzing going up and down it is detracts from my viewing. Turn volume up the over power the buzz works until there is a quiet scene.

Also I can hear the buzzing even if I am off axis. I am sitting about 12 feet away and the panel is on a stand.
post #19 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 07:14 AM

I agree that the panel buzz is variable. I think if you can hear it with TV volume set to about 10-15 sitting about 10 feet away, it is abnormal.

In my case, the buzzing appeared, was quite bad, then slowly over several hours and days of viewing, it decreased to a much less notable level. I think this happens to be a common defect that is difficult to quantify, unlike a dead pixel or other defects. Since it is difficult to objectively measure the intensity of buzzing, many people are left to wonder if perhaps they are just being too anal.

I think I have a guess to determine which panels are defective in buzzing. If powermode save 2 significantly reduces buzz volume (from very loud to hardly there), then it is defective, if it reduces buzz but not by much, then this is the normal amount of buzzing.
post #20 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

One thing that will help ALOT of people is to set the Power control to "POWERSAVE MODE2".

Won't this further "dim" the picture rendered by any FD Kuro PDP, which is not that "bright" to begin with?
post #21 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Hmmm......drfoo has no posts on avs forum other than his vote that the buzz caused him to return his 9g??
Also, sanhacker has been in the 9g thread talking about a '20' series with a blu-ray or a sig. series, so I could be wrong but I'm not sure he has owned a 9g yet.

I apologize if my lack of posts caused concern as to whether or not I actually own a 9g. I have been following the 9g forums for weeks and only registered recently in order to access the 6020 review by D-Nice. I have not posted as I felt the anything I have to say would simply be redundant with the current posts.

I recently finished an entertainment area in my basement and 2 weeks ago purchased a PRO151fd from my local BestBuy/Magnolia store. I do not live near a forum sponsor but Magnolia as well as several local small shops did match the great forum sponsor pricing plus tax. So I paid a 6% premium over sponsor pricing in order to get the 30 day return policy. I was very concerned (after reading all of the posts in the 9g forums) about buzz, dead pixels, etc so the 6% was, as one member stated, a worthwhile insurance cost.

It was delivered one week ago yesterday. To my dismay the set buzzed loud enough to be heard from 20 ft away and it changes pitch and level based on the display content. The Powersave 2 setting reduces the buzz to a level that I would guess is more consistent with what is being described as inherent to the display technology. There is a VERY subtle "hum" audible with my ear close to the front of the panel. There is a more pronounced "buzz" that changes pitch and level (based on content) emitted from the rear of the panel. It is fairly low frequency and only audible if you listen for it.

With the Power Save set to off (or 1), the culprit for returning the set rears its head. It is much higher pitch and much higher in level. It is fairly directional as others have stated and loud enough to be distracting in quiet scenes. On Wednesday a new PRO-151fd will be delivered as a replacement. I will test the new unit side-by-side with the current unit and report back with the results. The current set appears to be pixel perfect and the (as all report) the picture is astounding.

Please feel free to PM me.
post #22 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfoo View Post

I apologize if my lack of posts caused concern as to whether or not I actually own a 9g. I have been following the 9g forums for weeks and only registered recently in order to access the 6020 review by D-Nice. I have not posted as I felt the anything I have to say would simply be redundant with the current posts.

I recently finished an entertainment area in my basement and 2 weeks ago purchased a PRO151fd from my local BestBuy/Magnolia store. I do not live near a forum sponsor but Magnolia as well as several local small shops did match the great forum sponsor pricing plus tax. So I paid a 6% premium over sponsor pricing in order to get the 30 day return policy. I was very concerned (after reading all of the posts in the 9g forums) about buzz, dead pixels, etc so the 6% was, as one member stated, a worthwhile insurance cost.

It was delivered one week ago yesterday. To my dismay the set buzzed loud enough to be heard from 20 ft away and it changes pitch and level based on the display content. The Powersave 2 setting reduces the buzz to a level that I would guess is more consistent with what is being described as inherent to the display technology. There is a VERY subtle "hum" audible with my ear close to the front of the panel. There is a more pronounced "buzz" that changes pitch and level (based on content) emitted from the rear of the panel. It is fairly low frequency and only audible if you listen for it.

With the Power Save set to off (or 1), the culprit for returning the set rears its head. It is much higher pitch and much higher in level. It is fairly directional as others have stated and loud enough to be distracting in quiet scenes. On Wednesday a new PRO-151fd will be delivered as a replacement. I will test the new unit side-by-side with the current unit and report back with the results. The current set appears to be pixel perfect and the (as all report) the picture is astounding.

Please feel free to PM me.

What is the elevation above sea level of your residence?

Do not be troubled by your number of posts, because we all fancy ourselves to be "rocket scientists" in this Forum.
post #23 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I apologize drfoo....I got ahead of myself there. Just concerned over the polls numbers being as accurate as possible to help everyone in the future and there are many people who take much time to bash Pioneer.
Again I apologize.
post #24 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I apologize drfoo....I got ahead of myself there. Just concerned over the polls numbers being as accurate as possible to help everyone in the future and there are many people who take much time to bash Pioneer.
Again I apologize.

I don't know why anyone would care who bashes any brand, if you're happy with your tv does it matter what anyone thinks? Alot of people like to bash Vizio also, LOL.
post #25 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 10:15 AM

My 5020 buzzes. It is easily noticable from the back of the set. Only seems to be noticeable from the front if you are very close to the screen.

I didnt recognize it as the "directional" buzz as some had described it in the 8G thread.

So far it does not bother me at all because it is not noticeable with the volume on at any reasonable level.
post #26 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

I don't know why anyone would care who bashes any brand, if you're happy with your tv does it matter what anyone thinks? Alot of people like to bash Vizio also, LOL.

Because if this poll can remain somewhat accurate it allows for Pionner to be made aware of shortcomings in order to produce an even better panel the next generation.
At least, that's why I would like it to stay close to accurate.
post #27 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because if this poll can remain somewhat accurate it allows for Pionner to be made aware of shortcomings in order to produce an even better panel the next generation.
At least, that's why I would like it to stay close to accurate.

Yes, but it goes both way's, i'm sure people post NO buzz too that might not be truthful, how do we really know?
post #28 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

True, I hope just as much that people that do own a 9g and have audible buzzing express that truthfully.
As 'accurate' as poosible is the best way for this poll to do any good.
post #29 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:

True, I hope just as much that people that do own a 9g and have audible buzzing express that truthfully.
As 'accurate' as poosible is the best way for this poll to do any good.

Why would anyone lie?
post #30 of 1626 Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

What is the elevation above sea level of your residence?

Do not be troubled by your number of posts, because we all fancy ourselves to be "rocket scientists" in this Forum.

I live about an hour north of Atlanta, GA.

It might be interesting to have an additional poll for "Does Power Save 2 significantly change the buzz?". For my set it is night and day.

I wish that I had a microphone and an oscilloscope with a Fourier Transform so that I could characterize the frequency content under the different power save settings. I may be kidding myself, but it seems that when I turn off power save 2, I hear the louder, higher pitched, and more annoying sound in addition to the less annoying sound when power save 2 was engaged. By monitoring my voltage stabilizer I do see the current draw of the set drop significantly when Power Save 2 is engaged. I find it surprising since the picture change is minor relative to the percent change in current.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page