Lost Power Cord to Philips FlatTV Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-30-2008, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

This is more of a power/wattage/voltage question rather than a Plasma TV question. I apoligize if I posted in the wrong section...

I have a "Philips Matchline widescreen flat TV 42PF9936D 42" plasma Progressive Scan with Digital Crystal Clear"
(42PF9936D/37) and I lost the original power cord during my move into an apartment. Would I be able to power the 42" plasma with a cord from a computer power supply (3 prong)? The female to male connections fit on the TV side, but I'm just not sure about the power/wattage/voltage requirements of the power cord based on the power/etc. of the TV.

Here's what the rear label says (powerwise):

311 watts
50-60 Hz
110 - 240 V

So can a computer cord pull the weight? If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Simple reply, yes, long reply yes, or just go to radio shack or anywhere that sells misc stuff and pick yourself up a new plug, they're all the same
post #3 of 12 Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
.. a repair shop may have some hanging around from discarded units.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. a repair shop may have some hanging around from discarded units.

Hell they can probably give you several boxes of power cables then

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 12 Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was hoping you would say yes because I did look on the Philips site for a replacement cord and it only cost $6. So it didn't seem like any special proprietary cord or anything. I have a couple PC cords that I brought with me and the connection looked the same, so I wanted to get some input from you all before I tried anything.

Does everyone else agree with bluewaves?

Thanks again.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes, the cable is the same. The "magic" happens within the TV's power supply, so the properties of the cable aren't that important.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-03-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for everyone's input. I know it seemed like a simple question, but it was an important question. It would've been a big disappointment if a perfectly fine 42" plasma was wasted and could no longer be used because of a blown circuit due to the wrong cord. But all the the confusion is cleared up and the TV works just fine with the PC cord.

Now the big question is... Who knows how to "up-convert" an Enhanced Def. TV (480p max) into a High Def. TV?
post #8 of 12 Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsEye05 View Post

Now the big question is... Who knows how to "up-convert" an Enhanced Def. TV (480p max) into a High Def. TV?

Are you serious? To be honest though, I still have my first plasma (37" Panasonic ED) and it looks great with HD material.....you would have to have a 720p/1080p right beside it (and get close to the screen) to notice that it wasn't resolving the full resolution.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #9 of 12 Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

No, I was only joking. Honestly, I haven't had a chance to view anything in 480p on this display. The plasma came with a VGA to component adapter cable that gives you the option to connect a DVD player by way of component to the VGA connection on the TV. But I can't seem to get a clear picture. I can get audio fine, but the Image is "ghosted". It may just be some settings that I have to change. If anyone is familiar with this TV's settings, I welcome the help.

I can get a good and clear DVD picture through the component connections on both the DVD player and TV, but I don't think that's 480p? The picture is great, but still a little grainy.The manual says that I can get 480p through only the VGA connection.

Back to HD, I have had a chance to see full HD on a friend's DLP HDTV, and it looked great. It was actually an HD satelite feed, and it's kind of difficult to watch any programing in anything less that HD now.

But for my own setup, I'm using a standard def satelite box with this 42" plasma by way of s-video. And I know that most of you who have seen the difference in picture quality between s-video and HD, are thinking..."why?". I know it's sometimes painful to watch, but SD the only option I have right now .

That reminds me of another question, If and when I do get HD programming for this TV, how much better will the HD picture look in 480p when compared to a standard def picture? Will I notice a difference right away?

If anyone can help me out with my questions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again in advance... and Happy 4th.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Two good sources for power cables:

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/s...OWCD/index.htm

http://www.quail.com/DesignCordInput.cfm

When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming and scared like the other three people in his car!
post #11 of 12 Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hello again everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old post, but it still has to do with the same TV, and I don't have the time right now to go through all the details. So on to the question...

The TV is an EDTV, which has a max. resolution of 480p. Along with all of the analog audio and video connections, it also has an HDMI port as well as a VGA port for better picture quality. I looked up the HDMI specs in the user manual and here's what it said:

"The HDMI connector allows the following TV and monitor display modes:

EDTV 640/720 x 480p
720 x 576p

HDTV 1920 x 1080i

... - uncompressed HD content
- encrypted or non encrypted content."

My question has to do with the HDTV setting of 1080i. I was under the impression that EDTV's had a max. resoution of 480p, as I said before. But it says in the manual that the TV can display 1920 x 1080i. Could this be possible? Does it just down-convert the 1080i signal down to 480p? Now, I'm not too familiar with HD and conversions, so if someone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your help.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsEye05 View Post

Hello again everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old post, but it still has to do with the same TV, and I don't have the time right now to go through all the details. So on to the question...

The TV is an EDTV, which has a max. resolution of 480p. Along with all of the analog audio and video connections, it also has an HDMI port as well as a VGA port for better picture quality. I looked up the HDMI specs in the user manual and here's what it said:

"The HDMI connector allows the following TV and monitor display modes:

EDTV 640/720 x 480p
720 x 576p

HDTV 1920 x 1080i

... - uncompressed HD content
- encrypted or non encrypted content."

My question has to do with the HDTV setting of 1080i. I was under the impression that EDTV's had a max. resoution of 480p, as I said before. But it says in the manual that the TV can display 1920 x 1080i. Could this be possible? Does it just down-convert the 1080i signal down to 480p? Now, I'm not too familiar with HD and conversions, so if someone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

It'll convert to its native resolution but it should still look a lot better than standard def.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page