** Official Pioneer 5020FD/6020FD Display Settings Thread** - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 472 Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm81 View Post

I've learned a lot from this thread, and thought I'd share the attached file with anyone who is interested. It is a summary word document of many of the key points found in the thread in a (somewhat) readable order. Thanks for all of the ideas.

Great summary doc!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insider thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 472 Old 04-13-2009, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm81 View Post

I've learned a lot from this thread, and thought I'd share the attached file with anyone who is interested. It is a summary word document of many of the key points found in the thread in a (somewhat) readable order. Thanks for all of the ideas.

Great job, thanks so much!
post #453 of 472 Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Sounds like PC/HDMI would be great for me, but I obviously lose 1080 24P playback?

thats all I'm concerned with, as I can live with losing the other pure cinema stuff.

SO even though non-elites will pop into 24P on "off" or "advanced" automatically, this sticks to 60 no matter what?

thanks, pros!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #454 of 472 Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Sounds like PC/HDMI would be great for me, but I obviously lose 1080 24P playback?

thats all I'm concerned with, as I can live with losing the other pure cinema stuff.

SO even though non-elites will pop into 24P on "off" or "advanced" automatically, this sticks to 60 no matter what?

thanks, pros!

James

We really don't know for sure what the 9G Kuro's do with the refresh rate in this case. There is some info on 8G but the HDMI PC modes seem to be upgraded in 9G televisions. For instance in 9G they added support for the Orbiter modes in HDMI-PC mode which was absent in 8G.

The 9G NE TV HDMI PC modes also seem to support every refresh rate and signal type you can throw at it whereas in the 9G M series monitors there are some reports that it doesn't work with all signals. We're also told Pure Cinema handling is different in 9G Elite models vs. 9G NE. This means that there is some model to model variance here that could come into play.

It appears in the 9G NE Kuro TV's this mode may be more robust so we need a test run to see what the refresh rate is in this model. We know it works and that Pure Cinema is "OFF", we just don't know yet what that "OFF" does in this mode.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
post #455 of 472 Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

We really don't know for sure what the 9G Kuro's do with the refresh rate in this case. There is some info on 8G but the HDMI PC modes seem to be upgraded in 9G televisions. For instance in 9G they added support for the Orbiter modes in HDMI-PC mode which was absent in 8G.

The 9G NE TV HDMI PC modes also seem to support every refresh rate and signal type you can throw at it whereas in the 9G M series monitors there are some reports that it doesn't work with all signals. We're also told Pure Cinema handling is different in 9G Elite models vs. 9G NE. This means that there is some model to model variance here that could come into play.

It appears in the 9G NE Kuro TV's this mode may be more robust so we need a test run to see what the refresh rate is in this model. We know it works and that Pure Cinema is "OFF", we just don't know yet what that "OFF" does in this mode.

thanks Dhalism. Cause even though I've read through your list of Cons regarding PC HDMI (thanks BTW), if it could handle my 24p blu-rays, I (and others, I'd assume) would be real hard pressed to go against it.

The potential for more detail is about all I needed to hear, as it's sometimes the one area I seem to miss from my XBR4- could be in my head though!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #456 of 472 Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

thanks Dhalism. Cause even though I've read through your list of Cons regarding PC HDMI (thanks BTW), if it could handle my 24p blu-rays, I (and others, I'd assume) would be real hard pressed to go against it.

The potential for more detail is about all I needed to hear, as it's sometimes the one area I seem to miss from my XBR4- could be in my head though!

James

It's not just in your head. The difference is relatively small esp. for video content but it's still distinct and easily visible that the hdmi-pc mode is sharper, in fact it's perfectly sharp for fine detail at the dot by dot pixel level and it's a "Pure" signal. You get the qualities some people like in Elite models.

Although a pro calibrated Movie Mode is King IMO, the HDMI-PC mode is really a very nice alternate setting on this display to add to your set of A/V modes if you know how to use it. After you calibrate Movie Mode it's also the only easy way to get different Color Temparature settings (beside the 6500K movie mode) that are lower than what is generally HIGH temp.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
post #457 of 472 Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

From PM's I gather that some people still reference this thread and haven't been brought up to date from the NE owner's thread.

For the record to anyone referencing this thread there has been a significant update to the calibration capability of the 9G Non-Elite XX20 Models.

In a nutshell what it boils down to is that it is now possible to save and easily access TWO VIDEO settings that both have their own calibrated grayscale. More precisely you can calibrate the grayscale for both 60Hz and 72HZ refresh rates. That allows you to then control which grayscale you apply to any A/V mode by selecting the PC Cinema Mode . See this refresh rate table.

It's best documented in the Non-Elite owner's thread HERE.

ControlCal now makes this calibration relatively easy to perform. Turbe updated the NE profile, see here.

You can calibrate and save both PureCinema:Advanced (for 72Hz) and the other PureCinema modes now.

My personal preference is to calibrate and save 2 different video grayscale modes using something like 60HZ based on Standard A/V mode and 72Hz based on Movie A/V mode.

This allows you to drastically affect the usability of all A/V modes because you can choose Movie Mode 72Hz for "Critical Viewing" and then choose to lower the temparature and make any of the A/V modes more accurate by just changing the Pure Cinema Mode to a 60HZ setting.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
post #458 of 472 Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 AM

Liked: 15
I just recalibrated my 6020 in Game Mode. I love how "clean" the picture is with Game Mode. Here are my settings if anyone wants to give them a try...

Contrast: 43
Brightness: -2
Color: +6
Tint: 4 towards Red
Sharpness: -15

Pure Cinema: Advanced
Text: Off

I also have the Game Preference set to On.

These settings work well for Blu-ray, HD-DVD, Xbox 360, PS3, and Cable/Satellite.
post #459 of 472 Old 12-25-2009, 12:12 AM

After two hours of reading I know this must have been discussed... but I'm having trouble locating an informative post.

Setup:

HTPC with Radeon 5xxx series video card, connected to AVR (sc-05) then to 5020 via HDMI. I would like to use the HDMI PC Mode, but cannot find any preferred settings from anyone.

1) Is my best option to get a calibration software and have the HTPC/Video Card do most of the heavy lifting?

2) Are there any setting recommendations for HTPC using HDMI PC mode?

Thanks in advance.
post #460 of 472 Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 PM

My 6020FD is well past the break-in period (based on information taken from this forum) and, since I have nothing to compare it to, I'm curious whether a process exists for determining whether it needs to be calibrated? It still looks good, IMO, but if it can be made to look better... Thanks
post #461 of 472 Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4436time View Post

My 6020FD is well past the break-in period (based on information taken from this forum) and, since I have nothing to compare it to, I'm curious whether a process exists for determining whether it needs to be calibrated? It still looks good, IMO, but if it can be made to look better... Thanks

I can't remember for certain, but I seem to remember something about a "calibration disk" where you can "check" things, but with that it would seem you still have to have something to compare what you're seeing to something else, some kind of "standard" elsewhere.

If it looks good to you, then just enjoy it. Although I too am usually "anal" about how much better anything I have can be, luckily I'm not obsessed about my Kuro like that since it by far has the best PQ I've ever seen.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #462 of 472 Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Although I too am usually "anal" about how much better anything I have can be, luckily I'm not obsessed about my Kuro like that since it by far has the best PQ I've ever seen.

That brought to mind the time I was in Circuit City a couple years ago (before they closed) checking out their system demos. They had a Sony XBR(?) running the BD version of one of the Harry Potter movies that was beyond anything I believe I've yet to experience on this Kuro in terms of the near 3D-like quality. So for that reason I guess I should have it calibrated. Just wish I knew what components/cables they were using and/or the adjustments to make it so impressive.
post #463 of 472 Old 02-22-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4436time View Post

That brought to mind the time I was in Circuit City a couple years ago (before they closed) checking out their system demos. They had a Sony XBR(?) running the BD version of one of the Harry Potter movies that was beyond anything I believe I've yet to experience on this Kuro in terms of the near 3D-like quality. So for that reason I guess I should have it calibrated. Just wish I knew what components/cables they were using and/or the adjustments to make it so impressive.

Was it a CRT? I have the Sony XBR960 and it's blacks are better than plasmas, it's as bright as an LCD and the image is coming straight to the glass.

The Kuro is a plasma sometimes they seem like the image is further back which might explain the loss of the 3D feeling compared to an LCD or other display... but CRT's often feel like this too.

Anyway I picked up my 960 for $330 bucks on craigslist. It's 1080i but perfectly displays 720 and 480 since it's a CRT.
post #464 of 472 Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I notice that rgb limited with bd video output ypb with kuro set on auto is best for movies but for games i feel i get better shadow details with kuro auto and rgb full for gaming..... now is this normal that rgb full would be better for gaming a more realistic look better shadow detail and as far as for movies 1080p 24 forced is this the best option or auto..
post #465 of 472 Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy13 View Post

I notice that rgb limited with bd video output ypb with kuro set on auto is best for movies but for games i feel i get better shadow details with kuro auto and rgb full for gaming..... now is this normal that rgb full would be better for gaming a more realistic look better shadow detail and as far as for movies 1080p 24 forced is this the best option or auto..

I had this link in my response to you in the owner's thread

The main point is to simply get the colorspaces matched so the Kuro is able to decode the colorspace in your PS3 or other devices output signal. As long as you get that right the color differences should be very little if any differences are visible at all.

Auto should work to detect the colorspace either way that you set it but if it doesn't you'll see colors that are significanlty off. Then you can set it. If you like RGB Full from your console then you can use Auto or set it manually to ColorSpace 4. The results should be the same.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
post #466 of 472 Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I finally have a AVR that will pass 24p to my 5020. Is there any way to get the kuro to display info about the input it is receiving? All I know about is the display button that shows a banner, which for me says 1080p and 36bit. How do I know it is getting 24p input?

Thanks, Chris
post #467 of 472 Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans704 View Post

I finally have a AVR that will pass 24p to my 5020. Is there any way to get the kuro to display info about the input it is receiving? All I know about is the display button that shows a banner, which for me says 1080p and 36bit. How do I know it is getting 24p input?

Thanks, Chris

If you go into the Menu and change the HDMI input type from Video to PC that will show if the Panel is recieving 1080p/24 or 1080p/60
post #468 of 472 Old 01-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks, I didn't know that.
post #469 of 472 Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans704 View Post

When I switch to PC input I get nothing, because I have no input coming in on anything but HDMI 4.

He meant switching the Input type to PC instead of Video I think. Bring up your menu, select inputs, go to whichever input you're talking about and you should see the option there to switch that value.

Forgive me, I can't remember exactly what it's called but I know it's in that menu subset.

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

post #470 of 472 Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Right. Not the PC input, but switching HDMI 4 (for me) to PC instead of Video. Strange, but that shows 60Hz or 24Hz. Thanks.
post #471 of 472 Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help with a setting issue im having on my 6020fd. I have set all my settings according to d-nice's settings in this thread but the one thing that i seem to be noticing alot is when the 6020 is in advance pure cinema mode, i seem to notice a bit of a soap opera effect when watching movies on a blu ray player and on directv. everything is hooked up via hdmi and again everything is according to d-nice's settings.

Components:

Pioneer 6020fd
Pioneer VSX-1020K
Directv Reciever
Apple TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu Ray Player.

When I turn the mode to off, I can see the dejuddering effect clearly on scenes where the camera is panning across a room for example.

Please if anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.
post #472 of 472 Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi, all.

I'm reviving this thread - hopefully somebody is still listening. I have a 6020 and can't get rs232 communication to work. I've been told that you need to enable it from the service menu. But I don't know how to get into the service menu. I see people here are doing that. Can someone please tell me how?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page