Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
they just reviewed the 5020 and it scored lower than the 800u. whats going on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post

they just reviewed the 5020 and it scored lower than the 800u. whats going on here?

Price and color accuracy apparently bumped the 5020 down .3 points vs. the 800u. I'm not convinced that price should be considered in a review of hardware, but it's their website and their perogative.
post #3 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They wanted to slap Pioneer on the nose for removing picture options and reducing adjustability, as well as the inaccurate colors. And yes, they probably used the premium price as a backdrop to all this.....little higher standard type thing.
I think videophiles will be a bit dissapointed that the 5020 was somewhat gimped. Cnet saw videophiles as the target market here due to the price.
post #4 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenbuddha View Post

Price and color accuracy apparently bumped the 5020 down .3 points vs. the 800u. I'm not convinced that price should be considered in a review of hardware, but it's their website and their perogative.

I do think that price should be considered when scoring a tv. There is a big price difference between the two and consumers like me need to know if the pioneer is worth the extra cheese.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #5 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are just like Comsumer Reports, but they base mostly on price.
post #6 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Who cares? I buy based upon what I see not what someone tells me what I see.
post #7 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

That is the only way to do it.
post #8 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

well, nobody in my town has either one so I unfortunately cannot look at them. Plus the tvs will look different in your home than in a store.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #9 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

well, nobody in my town has either one so I unfortunately cannot look at them. Plus the tvs will look different in your home than in a store.

It's all relative. If one looks bad in the store and one looks good in the store then it's not going to change much in your home. Video noise, poor color don't get better with location.
post #10 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

It's all relative. If one looks bad in the store and one looks good in the store then it's not going to change much in your home. Video noise, poor color don't get better with location.

So your saying Panasonic has poor color and alot of video noise? Total opposite than what I have read on this forum. I heard the THX setting was spot on in color reproduction. Huh go figure
post #11 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM

I think he is referring to another set altogether, or maybe to picture quality in general. The Panny does not have a problem with either video noise or color.
post #12 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision View Post

They are just like Comsumer Reports, but they base mostly on price.

I don't buy that. CNET rated the Pio 8G 5080 as the best HDTV they ever reviewed and its MSRP was pretty close if not more than the best 50" Pany.
Perhaps Panasonic has made some big strides. By the way, I'm a big Pio fan and own a 5080.
post #13 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. It's ok to mention price, and folks certainly read reviews for price information as well as other facts.
But mention it in the introduction or at the end.
The technical review should stand on it's own.
HTmag, S&V, etc. generally do it that way. They rank the product by performance and leave it to the reader to decide if the price is line with their budget. Of course the prices they call out are usually MSRP, but I do see where they call out typical street prices too.
I don't like reviewers determining what's most affordable for me..I can make that judgment on my own. CR is a big crutch in that regard. And some folks need that.
post #14 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

So your saying Panasonic has poor color and alot of video noise? Total opposite than what I have read on this forum. I heard the THX setting was spot on in color reproduction. Huh go figure

When you read a lot of reviews saying the same thing, especially if you observe it yourself, it may have significance (good or bad).
Otherwise the reviewer may have had a bad night, or more likely it is unique to a sample he is working on. (early production, etc.)
post #15 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:18 PM

Pretty good review. I actually like the CNETreviews.
Was debating both the 800U and the 5020 for a few weeks.
I am sure I would have been happy with both, but have to say the black level on the 5020 is quite stunning.
I can't say I could really tell if color accuracy was slightly amiss if I saw it.
post #16 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, more video noise than their competitors.
post #17 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 PM

As an 800u owner, I'm a bit surprised at their review. My cousin has the 5020, and I like it a hair better than my 800u. The deeper blacks make the picture so awesome. But, when I took everything into consideration, I ordered the 800u. The blacks are still very good, the color is incredible, and it was a lot cheaper. Plus, it's not like they rated the 5020 a 5.5 or 6 or something. It's just .3 difference. Not a big deal at all. I'm sure if price was not an issue to them, the outcome would have favored the 5020. I think the real winner here is the 5080. An 07 720p model still has the same rating(8.7) as the current top scorer for 08! You 5080 owners must be loving it!
post #18 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, more video noise than their competitors.

But you said video noise AND poor color. So now its just video noise? I'm confused
post #19 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

They wanted to slap Pioneer on the nose for removing picture options and reducing adjustability.

Deserves to be dinged for that. It'll sell some additional elites but they may give a few $ back on sales lost from review reactions to the move...

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #20 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But you said video noise AND poor color. So now its just video noise? I'm confused

You are confused because you can't read correctly. My original comments were generic and didn't reference any TV. You introduced the name Panasonic, not me. I gave you my opinion on Panasonic which was unrelated to my original comment. Reading requires comprehension to make sense.
post #21 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Keeping things in perspective, as much as we would like things to be conclusive based on scientific evidence, etc. technical reviews of a/v equipment also involves a fair amount of subjective opinion. Even among the most experienced and knowledgeable reviewers.
Gather as much information as you can, digest it, and make your own decision in the end.
post #22 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:

You are confused because you can't read correctly. My original comments were generic and didn't reference any TV. You introduced the name Panasonic, not me. I gave you my opinion on Panasonic which was unrelated to my original comment. Reading requires comprehension to make sense.

Well now arent we just an ass. Thanks for pointing out I cant read. Dont know how I've managed all this time. Omeletpants lol what kind of SN is that anyway? LOL
post #23 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Deserves to be dinged for that. It'll sell some additional elites but they may give a few $ back on sales lost from review reactions to the move...

I agree, basically the 5020/6020 are the second highest priced plasmas in their respective classes (only behind Pioneer's own Elites) and absolutely should have a high amount of picture controls, at least what the 8G sets had. For them to remove them seems totally against what the Kuro's stand for.
post #24 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Dave View Post

As an 800u owner, I'm a bit surprised at their review. My cousin has the 5020, and I like it a hair better than my 800u. The deeper blacks make the picture so awesome. But, when I took everything into consideration, I ordered the 800u. The blacks are still very good, the color is incredible, and it was a lot cheaper.

I think the bolded part, in a nutshell, is what they are saying too. And it's not like they didn't think the 5020 was awesome.

As others have noted, the "dings" in the review were pretty fair, as Pio seems to be stripping back a bit to try and create more product distinction from the Elites. Taking away color temp and gamma controls is definitely a fair thing to criticize.

Their bottom line quote: "Best-in-class black levels and excellent all-around performance places the Pioneer PDP-5020FD near the top of the picture quality heap, but it will cost you." Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Bottom line: both are awesome, take the one which fits your priorities/budget and enjoy! I wish I could afford either one!!

I hope they review an elite... they haven't reviewed one since the PRO-FHD1, right?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #25 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonreno View Post

I agree, basically the 5020/6020 are the second highest priced plasmas in their respective classes (only behind Pioneer's own Elites) and absolutely should have a high amount of picture controls, at least what the 8G sets had. For them to remove them seems totally against what the Kuro's stand for.

Good point....but to add your point, this is Pioneer's way of selling "value" to their Elite series. Although Samsung has plenty of features on their displays, which supersede Pioneer's features. Although you get limited picture controls on the 20's, however, you know that you are getting a great product.

Although the 63A650 and 6020FD are probably street priced the same, how many people would buy a 63A650 over 6020FD? You will find that 6020FD will outsell the 63A650 any day simply because of Pioneer's breakthrough "Kuro" marketing ability, but surely delivers a great picture. I am not saying or implying that the 63A650 can not compete against the 6020FD, Samsung does not have a breakthrough technology that they can rely back on to illustrate "value" proposition. Also the Pioneer Kuro branding has been very successful and has demonstrated that their performance can illustrate value.

Just my opinion....

Chris
post #26 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 248
cnet rated plasmas this way

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U 8.7
Pioneer PDP-5020FD 8.4
Samsung PN50A550 8.0

Consider the fact that the they have their own way of ranking various performance criteria and what you should take away from this is that these plasmas are all very high quality and very, very close to one another in overall performance, though they will be quite different regarding specific areas of performance.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #27 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

How does it get Poor ratings on Red and Green.?

Just because you can't fine tune them like a elite? Would the elite score all good on color?
post #28 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Just because you can't fine tune them like a elite? Would the elite score all good on color?

There is no telling what david katz will score anything. He is all over the place.
I knew he would stick it to pioneer this year for taking the controls away from the non-elites. To me, scoring the panny above the pioneer is ludacris. i think they put price into the equation too much.

His words were:
"Don't get us wrong; the PDP-5020FD is still a superb TV, and deep-pocketed videophiles who prize the absolute blackest black available will find plenty of reasons to spend the extra money for that inky goodness. However, with this TV's color accuracy issues and lack of adjustability, we expect more than a few of those deep-pocketed videophiles to spring for the Elite version instead."

I would bet that they don't even review the elites. they didn't last year, or the 6010/5010. All they reviewed was the 5080.
If they reviewed the elites, I am sure it would get thier editors choice award.
post #29 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

There is no telling what david katz will score anything. He is all over the place.
I knew he would stick it to pioneer this year for taking the controls away from the non-elites. To me, scoring the panny above the pioneer is ludacris. i think they put price into the equation too much.

Possibly, but i probably do feel he thinks color is better on the panasonic. I remember he reviewd the fhd1, and that was the top tv that year even with the high price.

Quote:

would bet that they don't even review the elites. they didn't last year, or the 6010/5010. All they reviewed was the 5080.
If they reviewed the elites, I am sure it would get thier editors choice award.

Probably. I just wonder if he thinks color wise it would be that much better. If it's just of lack of control or what. The fhd1 i believe rated good on color.
post #30 of 256 Old 07-18-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

It's nothing mysterious. The red and green color points are measurably inaccurate, and by a considerable amount.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page